Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Papa_Bear
on 2016-10-06
16:48:35
 PAL/NTSC

I got my tape deck in today! I got Master Chess to work! But Power Ball loaded a bit then crashed the Plussy. Pizza Pete was found twice and turned the screen purple. and Formula 1 simulator didn't show up at all. I gotta find the last two games I had... Loco Coco and the compilation:

http://i.imgur.com/wiovKEd.png

Posted By

Csabo
on 2016-10-06
19:45:04
 Re: PAL/NTSC

That's a nice little collection. At least one of them loaded. Why did you title your post PAL/NTSC?

Posted By

Papa_Bear
on 2016-10-06
19:51:03

Oh right. Well, the games are from the UK and I'm in murica! I'm just surprised one of them worked.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2016-10-07
13:41:36

Ah, I see.

I quickly checked: we had Master Chess incorrectly marked as PAL only, it is in fact PAL/NTSC as you found. However, the same is true for Pizza Pete as well. (We had it marked as PAL, but it's PAL/NTSC.) The loading you described is fine (found twice, turns purple), and it does take a VERY long time to load, but it should work. Maybe give that one another try.

Power Ball, Formula 1 Simulator are indeed PAL only.

I just added an NTSC fix "cheat" to the Loco-coco page: if your cassette is readable, you should be able to run this game. (Run/Stop + Reset once it loaded, enter those lines and restart.)

Posted By

Papa_Bear
on 2016-10-07
14:06:31

Ill give Pizza Pete another go. I only tried Loco-coco once this morning when I found it. I'll try it again. The box for pizza Pete is so damn creepy but it'd nice to have a legit burger-time clone.

Any other NTSC games from the UK I should look for?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2016-10-07
14:50:28

There's a ton that would qualify, assuming you mean, classic, commercially released, English language, PAL & NTSC games:

3D Time Trek, Ace 2, Airwolf, Archery-16, Arena 3000, Asigo, Astro Plumber, Atomic Mission, Beach Head, Berks, Big Mac, Blagger, BMX Racers, Brian Clough's Football Fortunes, Buckaroo Banzai +4, Cartridge Triple Pack, Castle Dracula (Adventure 5), Catacombs, Championship Wrestling, Chess (Spanish), Circus, Classic Adventure, Classic Bridge 4.0, Commodore 16 Games Pack I, Commodore 16 Games Pack II, Corman, Crazy Golf (Spanish), Cuthbert Enters The Tombs Of Doom, Cuthbert In Space, Cutthroats, Dark Tower, Escape From Pulsar 7, Fantastic Four, Feasibility Experiment, Fighting Warrior, Fingers Malone, Fire Ant, Flight Path 737, Flight Zero-One-Five, Football Manager, Footballer Of The Year, Froggy (Visiogame), G-Man, Galaxions, Galaxy, Games Designer, Ghost Town (USA), Goldrush, Golf 16K, Gremlins, Gunlaw, Harbour Attack, Hide And Seek, Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, Hoppit, Icicle Works, Invasion 2000 AD, Jack Attack, Jail Break, Jerusalem (Adventure 2), Jet Set Willy, Joe Blade 2, Kaktus, Killapede, King Size, King Size Volume 1 & Volume 2, King Solomon's Mines, Lawn Tennis, League Challenge, Locomotion, Mad Mummy, Maniax, Manic Death Chase, Manic Miner, Mansion (Adventure 1), Master Chess, Maze Mania, Mindbenders, Monkey Magic, Mr. Puniverse, Netrun 2000, Oblido, Out On A Limb, Pacmania, Perseus & Andromeda, Pirate Adventure, Pizza Pete, Planetfall, Poker (Street Games), Reach For The Sky, Return Of Rockman, Rockman, Rockman (Go Games 29), Roller Kong, Rug Rider, Salvage, Sandcastles And Paramaths, Savage Island Part One, Savage Island Part Two, Scott Adams Scoops, Shark Attack, Shoot It, Skelby, Skull Island, Slippery Sid, Spiky Harold, Split Personalities, Splitz, Starcross, Starlite 1, Starter Chess, Stellar Wars & Blitz, Strip Poker II Plus, Suicide Run, Super Gran, Super Spell, Suspect, Suspended, Syndrome Compilation, Tablets Of Hippocrates, Tank Attack, Ten Little Indians, Tennis (Movie Box), Thai Boxing, The Hulk, The Sorcerer Of Claymorgue Castle, The Time Machine, The Wizard And The Princess, The Wizard Of Akyrz, Thermo Nuclear War Games, Treasure Hunter, Treasure Island, Twin Kingdom Valley, Ultimate (Adventure 4), UXB, Video Poker, Viduzzles, Wacky Painter (Golden Software), Waxworks, White Max, Wild Kong, Williamsburg (Adventure 3), Wimbledon, Witness, Wizard Of Wor, World Series Baseball, World Series Baseball Plus/4, Xargon Wars, Xargon's Revenge, Yie Ar Kung-Fu, Zap-em, Zork I, Zork II, Zork III, Zortek And The Microchips

(Okay, so a ton equals 155.)

Whether they are good games is another question happy

Posted By

Papa_Bear
on 2016-10-07
15:33:41

Is there any work related programs for the plussy?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2016-10-07
17:06:25

Work related... do you mean productivity software, like word processors, etc?

Posted By

Papa_Bear
on 2016-10-07
17:06:50

They couldn't even make it look like pizza. poor Pizza Pete forced to make burgers.

Posted By

Papa_Bear
on 2016-10-07
18:46:17

Yeah productivity stuffs. Things a business might use... if anyone bought the damn thing in Murica'

Posted By

Csabo
on 2016-10-07
21:47:09

There's definitely some stuff. Click "Software" from the main menu, the "Utility" from the gray sub-menu. That's all of what we have, broken out by subcategories.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2016-10-07
23:15:00

@Papa Bear - I have one! I'm in suburban Kansas City.

All the decent (read: "not utter crap") business software requires a 1541 disk drive or equivalent.

Posted By

Papa_Bear
on 2016-10-07
23:40:09

Shit. I need to save for a proper disk drive. Ive got A disk drive... the motor in it is dead..

Posted By

Papa_Bear
on 2016-10-08
16:10:14

Is pacmania on the C16 compilation Pal only? or is the tape just dead

Posted By

JamesC
on 2016-10-09
12:27:47

Pacmania has an NTSC "conversion" available on this site, so I would assume the original tape is PAL only.

Posted By

Papa_Bear
on 2016-10-09
17:36:14

Did they ever make a NTSC disk drive or monitor?

Posted By

MMS
on 2016-10-10
15:25:44

Actually, an 1541/II drive could do the job for you. But actually a normal 1541 is cheaper in US

Even if was made for EU market (and cheaper to get from UK, or Germany then locally)

As the PSU is not integrated, the task is much easier to find one. It could be even cheaper, who knows
If you can organise and external 110V PSU, then any 1541/II will fit your requirement, only the postage could be higher, as should be paid two times (but as far as I know, between US and UK rather acceptable).

One example: not dirt cheap, but a working and tested 1541/II is 42Euro with EU PSU:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Commodore-1541-II-Drive-Floppy-Disk-0042016-getestet-Portofrei-/282213315958?hash=item41b5397576:g:-usAAOSwTA9X6ku9

and from US you can get aPSU for that (1581 uses the same external PSU as 1541/II), but originals are also available at a double price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMMODORE-64-128-1541-II-1581-Replacement-Power-Pack-NEW-/291873209222?hash=item43f4ffbb86:g:FbAAAMXQqfZRoAQv

UPDATE:
sorry, I was not clear in that. ANY IEC drive will be OK for Plussy, just will not match the color. I only use 1571 and 1541/II.
I think that a US version of 1551 could be such a rarity, may reach 200 USD price easily on ebay :-)

Posted By

icbrkr
on 2016-10-10
11:10:01

A standard US 1541, 71, 81 will work on the Plus/4 without a problem. A standard Commodore monitor will work, though they did make a color-coded 1802 for the system.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2016-10-10
16:29:21

@Papa Bear: you want a plain old 1541 drive, the medium brown one that matches the original C64. Once you have it, you can then obtain (or build) an X-1541 series cable to interface that 1541 to your PC, and transfer disk images or individual programs from the internet to a disk.

The 1551 disk drive (shown in the Plus/4 manual as the SFS drive) was only sold in Europe. Any programs that require the 1551, as opposed to the 1541, will have PAL/NTSC issues. It's much easier to download a 1541 or NTSC version from this site.

Commodore monitors 1701, 1702, 1801, 1802, 1901, and 2002 will all work with the Plus/4. So will any tube-type monitor or television that has RCA inputs (yellow, red, white). The more difficult task may be locating the correct cable, to go from the Plus/4 to the monitor you choose.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024