Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

indi
on 2006-09-29
03:45:31
 Whats the BEST Plus/4 shooter?

Okay, I want to have a look at the best the Plus/4 has to offer so I can see what Im up against. So far, what I've found is some very simple ones that only have a limited area and a couple of sprites.

So....shoot-em-up's.... List the "Best of the Best" please....

Posted By

Ati
on 2006-09-29
03:50:21
 Re: Whats the BEST Plus/4 shooter?

Hi! Xeo3 and Starship war...

Posted By

indi
on 2006-09-29
04:35:53

lol.... now, you can't use XeO3 yet - coz its not out so you you have no idea what its like!! happy

I couldn't find "Starship War".....?

Posted By

Luca
on 2006-09-29
05:20:07

The "best +4 shmups" can signify lots of different things.

About BEST: to me, "best" would be games that you wanna play again and again and again, and we know that, for example, Minter's works on C16 are so cool, Voidrunner is much better than its C64 bro.
About SHMUP: the definition tends to rule out all the shooters that are based on arcade-adventure gameplay,like Battery, Battery 2, Taskforce, Phantom and so on; we're referring to pure arcade shooting stuff.

Once this, the rest.
Top List tells ya all you need.
Anyway, keep it as the real true, and not because I'm slightly happy involved in the project: the Plus/4 had never seen stuff like XeO3 before, and, you just announced on your blog, ppl wil tumble to it too wink

Anyway, a list, hoping that the double bracketed option will work (preview doesn't display any linking, I'm moving in the dark!):
- Super Cobra (though I never found a copy of the game that doesn't pass the level when you loose a life...weird...)
- Timeslip
- Tomcat
- Terra Cognita
- Bandits At Zero
- Dingbat
- POD (Proof Of Destruction)
- Solo
- Liberator
- Airwolf 2
- DizasterBlaster
- Flash Gordon
- Xargon''s Revenge
- Trizons
- Matrix
- GWNN
- Reach For The Sky
- Skramble
- Cyborg
- Xargon Wars
- Ikari Warriors
- Legionnaire
- Bridgehead / Alien Invasion
- Berks
- Terra Nova
- Space Pilot
- Jetbrix
- Spore
- Laza!
- Starforce Nova
...and all the other...

Posted By

Luca
on 2006-09-29
05:22:39

ATI: I wanna see Starship War, I wanna play Starship War, give us some news about the release date! wink

MikeD: that's a preview snapshot
http://www.tar.hu/ati-home/galax.jpg

Posted By

indi
on 2006-09-29
06:53:08

Liberator isn't bad, neither is Tomcat... but each of them seems a bit limited in what it does.

Tomcat cheats like hell, and because everything is character aligned, its too quick.
Liberator is pretty good, just a bit dull...

All the rest are pretty much stanard +4 stuff... no proper sprites, character aligned etc. and basic looking. Does that about sum it all up?

lol...I didnt realise "Starship War" wasn't out yet happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2006-09-29
07:30:02

MikeD:
check for the original GWNN version called Challenger;
yes, true, Tomcat is a fake way to speak the word "sprite" happy
Liberator unfortunately features a terrible asymmetric collision routine, so all the players used to stay in the bottom, occasionally shooting some turrets and collecting some energy to rest alive, in order to reach the coolest part of the game: the Core challenge! In advanced levels, the level's length is higher, so you must leave your safe place to pioneering around in search of new energy resources, and then it begins to be frustrating, cause the collision routine.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2006-09-29
09:49:41

Many of the programs listed by Luca run on C16 and technically never even got close to what the plus/4 is capable of.

I like POD but it's not a classical "SHMUP", is it? It's more like a mixture between Space Invaders and Centipede etc.

I played SPACE PILOT a lot with friends before I got my own machine. We always played it like that... One player fired and the other once controlled the space ship.

Honestly, I think you can EASILY beat anything shmupish on plus/4 so far. That's probably the most unconsidered genre on plus/4 due to the lack of sprites. Therefore, to find some real competition you have to look on other systems. I know, it's probably unfair to compare a spriteless platform to one that supports hardware sprites. Nevertheless, I think YOU can beat even some C64 classics.

I once dreamt that I got a disk with R-Type for plus/4. I was really frustrated when I woke up and realised that it was just a dream :D

Posted By

Patrick
on 2006-09-29
11:44:14

miked, i go for space pilot as the best shooter on the c16.

Posted By

indi
on 2006-09-29
11:54:24

I had a quick play with Space Pilot - it was okay, but slowed down a lot, and collision was terrible. happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024