Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2017-12-31
12:43:07
 2017 - A Year In Review

Another year has gone by... Wouldn't it be fun to sum it all up from the Commodore Plus/4's point of view? Yes? Then here we go!

Let's start with emulators: while we are happy that VICE and plus4emu each got an update this year, YAPE is leading the way here. After 6 big updates in 2017, Gaia is still around polishing this gem, adding the little feature requests that the hardcore users keep coming up with. His JavaScript emulator also got updated this year, I have to re-iterate that being able to run Plus/4 stuff right in the browser is pretty sweet stuff.

Our site had one big update, we can now properly handle Hungarian accented chars (őrült jó :-)). Our collection reached 10000 entries. Otherwise we count 78 releases this year, the highest in 10 years. Way to go Plus/4 Scene! Let's see it broken down by categories.

Games: Slipstream from BKN is the big hit of 2017, a 3D space-shooter that pushes the machine's capabilities to the limits. This game saw a commercial release as well. We have several other cool games to enjoy: Skoro dropped Mr. Mind, Megastyle surprised us with Athanor, and under "G" we can file... Genius (and it's sequel), Galli +4 and Gunfright. BASIC games are still a thing too; Castle Matcher saw its final release, Tetravex, Assembloids, Bomb Runner 2, Boray Gammon, Shield Command just to name a few.

Demos: Unfortunately no big releases this year, but we're not left empty handed! Genesis Project released Flickerfish. I was happy to see that TLT is back this year with 2 digi demos. Larry released Dreamtime 2K17, a nice picture show that generated some buzz at this year's Arok party. Otherwise we saw a massive influx of gfx releases, including lots of nice PETSCII stuff as well. MMS was very active this year, having worked on 9 releases. George released many converted pictures as well, plus some MIDI music conversions, his 16 releases make up 20% of this year's total.

...And The Rest: Erich continues to work on Club Info. BSZ+bubis unleashed Bitfire+4, and we also have SJL264 Light. After a long hiatus, we're happy to see that JamesC was active this year with some releases. On that note, let the spotlight shine on Charlemagne for a moment, as I believe he deserves a special mention. As a newly added member this year, having found our site he gave us his old archives, and then continued to develop stuff: two games and a new utility. We're all happy to have see this kind of enthusiasm and productivity. Cheers!

Is there any other important stuff I've forgotten? What was your favourite part of 2017? Discuss on the forums and of course: Happy New Year!

Posted By

Mad
on 2017-12-31
12:43:07
 Re: 2017 - A Year In Review

A happy new year to all of the plus4world people from here, too! All the best and a splendid year with all the stuff you need! Greetz to all people keeping the C16/plus/4 alive and nice to see all these many releases and new ones this year! happy Have a great time!

Posted By

Lavina
on 2017-12-31
18:34:08

Thanks for the summary! HNY! 2 0 1 8bit

Posted By

George
on 2017-12-31
23:12:50

Happy new year from me!

It's an honor to be part of this community and even a greater honor to be mentioned on the 2017 years review. The plus/4 was my first computer in my childhood in the 80's. The little, small ideas i realize are actually the ideas and wishes i wanted to do in my childhood, which i couldn't to that time, because of my lack of knowledge. Mostly small conversions done in small amount of time connected to something everybody knows and loves and hopefully puts a little smile on someone face.

What was my favourite part in 2017 (what i remember right now)?
* I really liked RKSoft's arcade screens. He puts a big smile on my face.
* MMS is always a great source of inspiration everything graphic-related. Especially his Carnival-Demo and his Petscii art. He is always one of the first to write a nice and encouraging comment on everyones idea and effort.
* Larry and his stunning Dreamtime Demo.
* The slipstream Game of Bauknecht
* All the other scene members contibuting on their individual way with their releases to keep the plus/4 alive.
* The webmasters of this site (mainly Csabo and Luca), who sacrifice their time to keep this site alive.

Posted By

Luca
on 2018-01-02
02:06:47

Happy year 2018 to all of you watching from the other side of this screen! Yes, it's a record for releases since years, and just because we had so many little contributions to the first edition of LimiTED in 2004, wheras the other comparable year should have been...oh wow 1995! The best part of all this, is that we know right now there will be some bigger releases incoming in 2018...and it's just the second day of the year! So let's see what the near future will reveal to us. Plus/4ever!

Posted By

Majikeyric
on 2018-01-02
07:46:46

Happy new year 2018 everyone ! happy

Hoping to contribute to the friendly Plussy scene with even more MSI releases this year

Posted By

Mad
on 2018-01-02
09:29:13

Majikeyric that is extremely welcome! Nice to hear! happy

Posted By

RKSoft
on 2018-01-03
09:46:00

I think it was a really great year for our scene and i hope it will be continue. Great summary and thanks for that, Csabo! happy

Posted By

Chronos
on 2018-01-03
12:14:40

Happy new year guys! Keep the releases comin' grin

Posted By

Gaia
on 2018-01-03
14:59:58

Happy New Year! Kudos to Csabo and Luca and everyone else. Keep those releases comin' as it's really great to see all these "new" people pumping out new stuff... happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2018-01-05
12:51:17

Thank you for the summary!

I think 2017 was a really great year with several fantastic and some really breakthru releases (I do not want to list all, but new Dreamtime and Slipstream were something unexpected to see on this machine, as both works without any HW modification, eg. Dreamtime was like watching an Amiga. With Bitfire we have a really up-to-date trackloader. And congrats for all the other releases too! All were fine in a different way, some were funny, others had very nice atmoshpere).
Emulator-wise both of my favourites were updated, and the Play Online also works even on Android phone! (OK, only 12fps on Samsung Gal A3, but works!)

Arok'17 was a great inspiration for me.
It was really nice to meet the real +4 sceners personally (especially those ones who helped or supported me in the past in any way). Last time it happened in 1992 (!).

HW wise: I have a working SFD-1001 1MB floppy and a working IEEE488 interface, and an MSD SD-1 floppy drive too.

Unfortunately I have too many ideas, too little time, and very tiny knowledge to realize them.
But will try to contribute even more in 2018. happy

And herewith I send a special THANKS for our kind Admins, who help us continuously!
Happy New Year!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024