Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-09-10
11:33:24
 What classic programmers would you like to return to the scene?

Top 3.

1. Shaun Southern (he was probably the most prolific)
2. Udo Gertz
3. Tony Kelly

I am slightly in 2 minds of the order of 2 and 3 right now, but it might change. I don't think that this will be much of a contest.

I would eagarly purchase any new games they'd release (providing that they've retained their immaculate talents that is)

Posted By

Patrick
on 2014-09-10
11:58:02
 Re: What classic programmers would you like to return to the scene?

UDO GERTZ!!!!!

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-09-10
12:02:48

Shaun Southern & Andrew Morris to do Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge, Also Dingbat 2!

Udo Gertz, I would so love a Tom Thumb 2, 64K version!

Jörg Dierks, a proper Legionnaire 2 in the style of the 1st game (Ikari Warriors style), again 64k! Also a Demolition 2 would be sweet.

Julian Jameson could do a Phantom 2 and have another crack a Who Dares Wins II, both in 64k.

There are many more, all have something to offer! I wished Codemasters did more for our system, a port of Vampire or cut down version would of been lush! I could go on and on... wink

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-09-10
12:04:03

Richard Ikin and Patrick Strassen taking in all those unreleased games I really would see

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-09-10
12:15:25

Yeah Patrick Strassen said he was working on some early beta of Uridium for our system!

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-09-10
12:23:22

"...UnPublished/Not completed: Warhawk, Suicide Express, Uridium (very minor), some Galaga shoot-em-up game..."

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-09-10
12:43:01

I stand corrected. This is a contest. Surprised with the Richard Ikin entry, but he acknowledges the Commando disappointment. It wasn't that bad tbh (just different).

I'd love to see more of his lost games. What were they again? A pretty much completed 1942, and a surprise conversion of the laser disc Space Ace (both lost) was another.

Patrick's version of Bounder was great btw, and Powerball (which he apologised the end about on the commodore 16 site) & Street Olympics are C16 classics too. Haven't heard from him in a while actually.

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-09-10
12:51:56

This is the LinkedIn profile of Patrick Strassen. I also tried to contact him via Facebook, but never got an answer

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-09-10
14:05:18
 Re: What classic programmers would you like to return to the scene?W

Well, since almost all famous programmers have been mentioned, I'll add anthonyjclarke. He recently registered and edited a record! This should have been a much bigger news, but I guess our little community was too occupied with the BKN demo.

Dork's Dilemma is underrated IMHO, Tycoon Tex has very nice graphics, huge colorful sprites. The Xargon games are hard, but they are classics.

While I doubt he'd return to coding (well, probably no-one we mentioned would), if we're lucky, perhaps we could persuade him to answer some questions, or share some anecdotes about the "old days". Any thoughts on this?

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-09-10
16:45:28

I knew, only because you told me Csabo. wink

The big question would be does he have any idea how both Xargon games became bugged in their re-release form!

Yeah Dork's Dilemma is really cool, but at the same time bad design in some rooms let it down as you can't place a bomb to kill the bad guys or even escape because they are set to spawn in the corners. It was one of the best looking games in the early days though and then came Sword of Destiny and that was like wow back in the day!

There were some cool one off coders like Darren Clarke who did Pin Point, shame it's bugged though. I had more fun with it than I ever did with Spin Dizzy.

And what about Rockman, what a cracking real early game it is for C16 making the most of what's on offer and making one massive game that no one has ever beat. Love it though. grin

And what about the guys that did ACE+4, they really went all out to give us that game when it should not of been on our system in the first place, and they did an amazing version! Shame Ace 2 was not as good but I loved that font they used on the credits, the likes we had not see in a commercial game before. happy

The deeper you dig the more that comes out such as Howlin MAD & Darron Broad from Players. Darron was a dude as he gave us 2 multi-loading games on budget label which was wow, years later he gave us his source code too. Hard to believe but Taskforce is a genuine rare title as C16/Plus4 games go on ebay, the last one to show up was just the basic cassette and it sold.

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-09-11
02:33:21

Anthony J. Clarke is among us? Wow! We still need several infos about the Micro Projects team. In Petals Of Doom there's a message of "felicitations to Jason, Mark, Tony" (Jason Perkins? Mark J. Moore? Anthony J. Clarke?), and I would remind we don't know yet who's the author of Petals Of Doom, Kung-Fu Kid, Reach For The Sky, Sword Of Destiny and some of the conversion for Gremlin Graphics. Maybe, somebody would remember what's happened to announced conversions like Avenger and Thing On A Spring tho...

Just to point it out: Dork's Dilemma and Sword Of Destiny share the same characters set, and the latter shows the same option panels as in Gullwing Falcon, Kung-fu Kid (and the same graphics too!) and Reach For The Sky. I would include Petals Of Doom too: it has very similar style with the cited games and you can read "M. P. L." in the vanity board just like in Xargon Wars. They overall look like been all coded by Anthony J. Clarke. Can him confirm that?

Posted By

SVS
on 2014-09-11
06:15:06

Not only games! I would remember the Emulators' main authors Gaia and IstvanV.

While we know that Gaia is busy with his child, we don't know news from IstvanV ...Pals, do you remember the speed he coded his good Plus4emu? And, unfortunately, the cold acceptance from part of the scene :-/
Boys we need more power from your Emulators!

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-09-11
07:22:34

For a moment then SVS I thought you were going to say Superfile 16 or something like that, instead you jumped 20+++ years in time. wink

But yeah good point, with out the emulator guys it's fair to say none of this would be here today. happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-09-11
07:44:48

Anthony J. Clarke answered back, asserting that Reach for the Sky, Kung-fu Kid, Gullwing Falcon and Petals Of Doom had been written by Jason Perkins.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-09-11
16:16:13

WHAT!?!?! That was quick! Nice to know you have been in touch. happy

I wonder if Anthony knows anything about Reach for the Sky, could it be linked to our version of 1942 from Elite that never showed up?

Posted By

MMS
on 2014-09-11
17:11:27

SVS, you are right. I never understood what could be anyone's problem with Plus4emu?
I agree it required more CPU power than the others (since then: dual and quad cores everywhere), but the display quality and the sound accurancy was just great at that time (it was the only emulator could properly play Genesis Project Demo). YAPE developped a lot since then, but Plus4Emu still a very strong one after SO many years of frozen state...

I really like it, easpecially the GUI flexibility, not tho mention the dozens (hundreds? not kidding) of hours I played with the GFX converter GUI+JPGs. The quality of the output was just unbelievable and was just big fun to test the result of different settings...
I wish I could have more time to vcreate more slideshows, though these ones were more to have some fun instead of getting any attention :-D

Posted By

Litwr
on 2014-09-11
23:25:19

> Csabo "While I doubt he'd return to coding (well, probably no-one we mentioned would), if we're lucky, perhaps we could persuade him to answer some questions, or share some anecdotes about the "old days". Any thoughts on this?"
I am still eager to know what could we see if we finish the end level of Xargon Wars at the second time? The triple speed levels? happy
I agree that it is sad that plus4emu is stopped. I have found several bugs and "unpolished parts" in it. BTW ep128emu is stopped too.

Posted By

SVS
on 2014-09-12
10:36:58

@MMS: do you mean that Plus4emu code could work using both the two uP in a double core CPU?

Posted By

MMS
on 2014-09-13
00:11:16

I am not completely sure what needed for that, but eg. Dolphin WII emulator can use the dual core CPUs after detection. I swapped my Opteron 152 to an Opti180, and the speed of Mari Kart almost doubled, so it worth the change happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-09-13
04:20:46

Anthony J. Clarke will be so kind to concede a little interview about the days that "those were" happy At the moment I don't know if I would choose a straight interview live via chat, or a classic Q+A by email, but in both cases I guess it's time for you all to suggest some interesting questions, about Gremlin Graphic Micro Projects, their games and co-workers, and all the einvironment turning around it.

In the meantime, he posted a great picture of his games'source disks (that will be added soon into his profile page, of course) and other stuff. As you can see, he also posted a cassette of Daley Thompson's Star Events with the interesting caption:"Built in 48 hours for Cash!". Who did build it, then? Hey, being a 48 hours work, it looks not so bad even today!

Posted By

markha​rdisty@hotm...
on 2014-12-26
15:14:36

Just reading this threat - I have great interviews with Patrick S, Anthony C and Jason Perkins - all about the C16 games, DT Star Test, hidden messages, etc in the upcoming book:

http://agremlinintheworks.co.uk/

Hope to have it finished Summer 2015 ....

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-12-26
15:43:31

...and that's why I follow you on Twitter, hoping for the best for your project wink

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024