Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-09-29
11:54:53
 Please Report Site Problems Here

I think this deserves a new thread. Here are the currently known issues:

- RSS links: I changed all 4 (news, forum, newstuff, pm), they should be now working.

- Dash in URL doesn't work: Any links that have a dash in the URL (like "4 Konami Coin-op Hits") come back as 404. This is controlled by the .htaccess file. The dash was in there originally, but when we add it, the whole site fails. It should be correct, I found examples like this on other sites. If we prefix the dash with backslash, then the site works, but the URLs still don't. For now, I changed the code so that it falls back to the old style links (e.g. /sd.php?pid=12345) if the URL has a dash. Any ideas? If we can't figure this out, I think we should just remove the dash as an allowed character from URLs and use underscore instead.

- Accented chars got incorrectly imported... Well, I guess we could reimport the whole table, but I've already edited stuff on the new site, so those changes would be lost. I have the backups, I think I can do something automatic. Any ideas/volunteers on this one?

Let me know if you run into other problems.

Posted By

PaulK
on 2008-09-29
12:05:53
 Re: Please Report Site Problems Here

The EMUcamp .prg download links will have to be removed as that just gives a garbled screen.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-09-29
12:14:17

They work fine, the browser just tries to display them as text files, so perhaps the site does not report the file type correctly. Use right click and "save as" to download the programs.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-09-29
12:26:22

Of course, the "EMUcamp" is somewhat misleading, since the links already point to plus4world.powweb.com, and not plus4.emucamp.com.
A minor issue that I already reported in another thread is that the thread message counts in the forum do not include those posts that were sent to emucamp.com after the domain name problem.

Posted By

indi
on 2008-09-29
15:33:25

Well, I could reimport everything (software table).... but as you said you've started making changes, so I suspect these may have to be done by hand over time..

Given a little time (and a working bloody PC!) I could export the current one, do a merge fix, then reimport the new one. But I'd need a working machine for that. It's not something I'd do on my laptop....

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2008-09-30
01:06:18

The last posts of plus4emu 1.2.9 topic are missing. The old site has them, but this one doesn't. Maybe they were written after the site backup was made.

Posted By

SVS
on 2008-09-30
03:01:26

A little problem:
When writing a post in the forum, when you enter the login, then the written text of the post is deleted and system exits to main page.

Posted By

indi
on 2008-09-30
04:02:58

Its always done that.... Because of it, I always made sure I logged in before doing a post. But if its fixable, it would be nice happy

(also...coz forums are sometimes crap, I ALWAYS copy the message text into the clip buffer before posting on any site these days, wink )

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-09-30
07:31:51

gerliczer: the posts are actually there, but they are not counted in the forum index. There are 32 messages, but the number displayed is only 26.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-09-30
23:20:46

Thanks for the bug reports guys! Here's what I managed to fix so far:
- Renamed the download links to "Plus/4 World". As for the .PRG files not being recognized as binary, I think there's a setting for that in Apache, something needs to be added to the HTTP response header to tell the browser it's a binary file. Does anyone know what it is? Or is there a workaround that we could do from the server side?
- Fixed the accented chars in Program names.
- The last posts were copied over (by hand) after the site has been backed up and moved. The forum stores the number of posts, time and author of the last post in a redundant field in the parent post to speed up the forum display. The subquery to get current number of posts would really slow things down. Anyway, so that's why it's a bit off. I fixed it manually for the plus4emu 1.2.9 topic.

SVS, I didn't understand your problem... Could you please elaborate? Does something like this happen to anyone else?

What's amazing is how little time I have for this. Anyone with a serious commitment and Apache/PHP/MySQL knowledge feel free to jump in and help out or take over.

Posted By

SVS
on 2008-10-01
02:26:27

-> Csabo:
In detail:
- When I'm entered to the new site, I went to the forum in order to send a welcome message.
- I'm entered into a post, then hit button to add a new message.
- After typed the text, before to send it, system asked me to login
- When entered login and pwd, system did go to home page and typed text was lost

Of course now that cooky is stored, the login is automatic then problem should not appear again.
Anyway this is only a little bug...

Posted By

SVS
on 2008-10-01
02:35:13

Further things to check:

- Edit page does not show the table
- "Mike" link on last homepage news does not open the search results page (says "not found"). If you type "Mike" into the search box, it works as well.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2008-10-01
04:42:16

All the screenshots for Virtually Yours from EVS are missing.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-10-01
06:22:40

Csabo: the .prg, .d64, .d81, .tap, etc. files probably need setting the MIME type, and the Apache documentation for that can be read here: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_mime.html.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-10-01
06:29:34

By the way, how can one add screenshots ?

Posted By

indi
on 2008-10-01
09:45:59

I've added the mime types, might take a bit to kick in though, and any page that was cached would need to be purged from you local cache as well.

Appears to work this end okay but give it a go....

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-10-01
11:04:24

Let me run down on the issues quickly:

- Gerliczer: good catch! It looks like the FTP cut off for the images/v folder. I uploaded some of the missing files (Virtually Yours and the V games), but some are still missing. I have the full backup at home.

- Thanks Mike and IstvanV for fixing the .PRG issue. It works for me now!

- SVS, that's normal behavior I guess... You have a form on the post a new message screen. If you click the login link, then you move away from the form without submitting it. It's the same as leaving the form using any other link (e.g. clicking Search or something). I guess it would be possible to solve this by posting to the login page and saving the typed text, but sounds like too much trouble... So I think we can leave this as it is.

- Thanks for pointing out the broken link. Mike's new handle is "indi", but his URL is still MikeD wink

- As for adding screenshots: at the moment is like on the old site, only people with FTP access can do it. I think Mike indicated that we can now create new FTP accounts (which is a big plus, previously we had a single one - Lando's - which was shared by all.) Is there a standard way of handling this? I guess we could try to add a file upload form, but how would the users choose which image goes where? This is an important part of the site, I think if we can solve this nicely, it would encourage more contributions.

Any guesses about the dash in the URL?

Thanks again guys, keep hammering the site and try to find more problems!

Posted By

indi
on 2008-10-01
11:30:42

You can create upload CGI stuff coz I've seen it before, it can then save to the local (server) disk. I'll need to look around and find an example somewhere. This could then return a link that you could use to post in the desired place I guess.

haven't looked at the "-" issue yet, will do when I get a chance.

"public" FTP access is probably a no-no, but we can certainly create links for "known/safe" people. We can also create email aliases for anyone that fancys a blah@plus4world.com email addres, but I'm gonna let Csabo vet them as it might appear they are admin when they aren't really... happy

I DO have plus4.com/net/org (.COM is also pointed here BTW) which I could allow email addresses from. I suspect the plus4.net would be the best. It still looks nice as an email, but is only used by me to forward to emulators (minus4.plus4.net, yape.plus4.net etc.). I don't know if theres a limit to emails... but I don't think so.

Posted By

MagerValp
on 2008-10-01
18:02:13

RSS? Yay!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-10-03
12:14:20

Took care of a few more things:

- Removed dead links from the home page

- Re-uploaded a lot of broken images. The files were there, but the sizes were 0 byte (easy to catch if you look through the games/all page).

- Favicon.ico is back!

- Fixed a bug that caused the "last posted on the forum ### time ago" message to display invalid data (38 years ago) on some member's pages. Basically we didn't use to record the forum post time a few years back, so people who hasn't posted since had this problem.

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-10-03
15:32:28

Hot-intro #1 Hot-intro #2 Hot-intro #3
Do the URL aliases of these work? Or not?

Posted By

indi
on 2008-10-03
16:08:21

No, they have dashes "-" in them..... Need to find a solution or rename them to "blah_blah".

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-10-04
06:35:00

Umph, that "-" character is terrible, of course other links don't work, like:
http://plus4world.powweb.com/groups/Pro-Pain

Posted By

indi
on 2008-10-04
06:52:05

I'm busy getting ready to go on holiday, but once I get 5min I'll try and look into it.

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-10-09
08:47:08

Search functions works quite weirdo: try for example to search for Hires Color 1...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-10-09
09:31:46

Oops, that was a bug which is now fixed.

I also added a new page that allows games to be played on-line. In the old site, we had .html pages for this but those did not get copied over. Anyway, go to the Trailblazer page for an example.

Technically this should work for any game, the URL has to be made up as: http://plus4world.powweb.com/play/### where ### is the name of the .prg file on our servers. Here's an example: http://plus4world.powweb.com/play/quadrillion

Initially I was thinking of adding the Play Online URL to every game. However, not all games are actually playable. Quadrillion in the above example will start, but seems to have a bug and cannot progress to the next level after the bricks have been cleared. David's Midnight Magic is another example of a problem: the game is controlled by C= and Shift, but Shift is only sent to the emulator when pressed together with another key, which basically makes the game unplayable.

My point: if anyone feels like it, you can start going through all the games and test them. If the game works, just edit the details page and add the PlayOnlineURL.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2008-10-09
12:47:49

seems like the site access is faster than before at me..

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-10-10
15:27:19

I completed another page which has some interesting listing. First person to find it gets a virtual pat on the back! happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-10-11
02:45:43

http://plus4world.powweb.com/pic/maps.gif looks like missing.

Posted By

SVS
on 2008-10-11
04:10:18

To be fixed:
a) Light blue skin - Aspect - Signed boxes show character apostroph instead of visa
b) How can I set my fellowship to be shown near the search box in the Light-blue skin (BTW it seems that only with this skin this feature works)
c) New +4 fan MikeZ is not shown (with any skin) on the list of recent visitors.

Thank you and have a good weekend.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-10-11
08:55:12

I added maps.gif, thanks for noticing.

SVS:
a) I'm not sure about this one, the options screen looks good for me. Can you explain in more detail what's wrong? (Or perhaps send me a screenshot?)

b) The friend list only works in light blue skin, and it should be right next to the search box. (BTW the search box is also only for that skin.)

c) He does show, when he is logged in, there's no problem with that feature.

No-one found the new page yet, or you're not even looking?

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-10-11
09:37:00

I tried

Posted By

SVS
on 2008-10-11
14:34:55

Me I tried too! we need a little tip... wink

Csabo:
About the bug, go to Aspect - select Light blue - confirm Aspect - look at Forum options.
I see a sort of back-apostrophs instead of visa signs (This character is on topleft key in some keyboard, but mine that hasn't).
Tell me if you are not able to reproduce, so that I can send you a screenshot.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-10-11
14:41:57

Ok, here's the hint: what we're doing here could be considered a mini-compo wink Who will find a new page that's not linked directly from the menu? Cool compo for us Plus/4 freaks, don't you think?

SVS, I don't see that at all! Can you try this in another browser? If you look at the source of the page, can you see what could be causing those characters? A screenshot would help, if you can email me that would be great.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2008-10-11
17:17:57

Game map links seem to be broken.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-10-11
17:20:35

The "New Stuff" page does not seem to be working (it did earlier, so maybe it is just a temporary problem ?).

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-10-11
18:02:42

Oops, the /maps folder wasn't backed up. I'm lucky the old FTP is still up, everything is now copied over.

I did mess up newstuff... I introduced a new function to the common library and the newstuff page already implemented a function with the same name.

Thanks for the testing guys happy (It's sucky that we have no staging server or real QA process, but hey, this ain't no big corporation!)

Posted By

indi
on 2008-10-12
08:12:20

Theres nothing stopping you having a complete copy of the site in a subdirectory. You could then point to it using a subdomain (like test.plus4world.com or something). As long as you have relative paths (or setup the path redirection) it'll all "just work". We could also setup another database where you could put new entires and try stuff out. You would have to write some new code to replicate the test data over though.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2008-10-16
05:19:02

The summary section (Total Votes, Average Votes) displays some not too intelligible data. The old site also behaved like this.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2008-10-16
11:25:13

Sorry! My last post should've been somthing like this: The summary section of Voter Statistics (Total Votes, Average Votes) displays some not too intelligible data. The old site also behaved like this.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-10-16
23:42:27

Good catch, that was buggy. It's fixed now. Thanks for noticing!

Posted By

SVS
on 2008-10-17
14:33:29

Hello,
1) broken link: http://plus4world.powweb.com/dl/tools/rommap/index.php
2) Edit page does not show the table (only table title)
3) *** old matter of visa signs in Forum option: I tried from my job PC and there, they are correctly visualized. In my home PC not: same XP, italian keyboard, italian language....

Posted By

Chronos
on 2008-10-19
08:47:22

when i perform a forum search and i click on a result i get a page not found error..

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2008-10-21
03:15:56

The member details pages in their publications section contain wrong page numbers in the details column (e.g. Ébri ).

Posted By

Chronos
on 2008-10-22
16:06:02

forum search works for now, thx..

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-10-23
15:11:43

Change log:

- Fixed the rommap download link. SVS, sorry it was broken for so long...

- The list of tables now show up on the edit page. I knew about this was, I was just too lazy to look into it. It turned out to be simple though, the code was using the now deprecated MySQL_List_Tables function, so this broken when we moved to the new host.

- Fixed the Publication details for members. Also, on the publication details for software, the publication category and the language were not translated. This is something to look out for: switch the site to your preferred non-English language. If something is translated in one place (e.g. software/publication languages), they should be translated everywhere.

- I added a new feature that can show/hide all your Personal Messages. Now it doesn't even lose your other forum options happy

- When I clicked links from the forum or private message RSS feeds, they didn't go down to the content, so I added anchor tags to these. If you guys find little usability issues like this that are bothering you, let me know.

- SVS, I still don't know what's wrong with the forum options, that visa sign you mentioned... Send me a screenshot please.

I'm thinking about removing the option "Include reply in PMs". Why would anyone NOT want this? And even if they don't want it, they can just clear it from the box when they type their message. Objections?

No-one seemed to find the page I was talking about: it's the compos page. It's nothing big, but I still like it happy

And finally: thanks for noticing and reporting these guys! I really do appreciate it. It's fun to fix them and we're making the site better for everyone.

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-10-23
17:56:23

Demo/Graphics entries still stand in the Demos ranking.

Posted By

SVS
on 2008-10-24
03:21:09

Csabo:
1) I've just sent the screenshot you ask me for. Pls mind that the bug appears only with LightBlue theme, and only on my home PC.
2) New page: I've searched for it, but not found wink Where is a button to achieve it?
3) A suggestions: search box in forum page able to scan the whole site, not only the forum posts.

Thank you.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-10-24
19:53:29

I fixed the Top List. SVS, those marks were the check marks, that's how Opera rendered them because of the padding. I fixed it by changing the padding on just the checkboxes, it now renders correctly in both FF and Opera. The new page is the compo page, the link is above, just click that. There's no menu item to take you there, but you can find it from any program's details that was entered into any compo (e.g. Thalassa).

As for the forum search... I'd rather not change it. Here's why: the regular search doesn't list all the matches from the forum, just the number of hits. Usually you're looking for something other than the forum posts. If we made them the same, then what would be the point? It's already available from search (just 1 click), or even the title bar if you're using Light Blue. I hope that's cool wink

Posted By

SVS
on 2008-10-26
10:08:46

Ok Csabo for the above reply.

Broken links: try to search the forum for keyword "bool", both the 2 found links are broken (1st 2003, 2nd 2007).

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-10-26
14:17:06

That's not just for bool, but any found link. It's the "-" in the URL that breaks it. If you remove the part from the "-", the link will work. I CAN fix this by changing all the code and all the URLs not to use dash, but I'd rather not.

Mike, did you find a solution to this problem yet? Is it something that can be posted on the powweb support forums and ask for help/advice?

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-10-29
16:33:36

Missing scanned mag in Nike Hawk.

Posted By

indi
on 2008-10-29
16:37:23

I'm currently rebuilding my PC (this is my second post on it!!) so once I've reinstalled office and get my email working again, I'll get back on to that.

Leave it with me for the time being, if I get no joy I'll let you know and we'll see about renaming them all to "_". BUt I agree, a fix would be much better.

Posted By

indi
on 2008-10-31
10:37:59

"-" (dashes) should now be fixed! happy

Titles like "Hot-intro #1" now work.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-10-31
13:47:37

That's awesome, thank you Mike! happy From the .htaccess file I can see that it's back to normal (ie. we don't have to prefix the dash). So what was the trick?

Posted By

indi
on 2008-10-31
14:04:51

Its either a new feature of Apache that lets you do 0-9-?? or its a bug in a Apache happy

Basically I moved the "-" to the END of the expression so it wasn't beside the "a-zA-Z0-9" part, and it doesn't interfere now. I did use "!-" but that didn't work for the forum searches (the no catagory bit), then worked out that it could just be moved.

I suspect a lot of the ones I added the "" prefix to, could be removed to clean it up - but I wanted to get it working first happy

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-10-31
14:25:20

> Its either a new feature of Apache that lets you do 0-9-?? or its a bug in a Apache

As far as I know, it is a normal way of adding the '-' character to a set of characters in regular expressions etc. I am not sure how this applies to Apache, but the same syntax works for grep, tr, and other utilities.

Posted By

indi
on 2008-10-31
15:00:32

And thats how its been added. But when its beside a sequence like "0-9" it just didn't work. So instead of something like ... "([A-Za-z0-9-_.]+)" we now have "([A-Za-z0-9_.-]+)" and all appears well. Seems like a bug to me but I don't know it well enough.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-10-31
15:10:59

You can only include a literal '-' as the first or last character in the bracket expression, so the first one is not valid indeed. It can also be the end of a range, but that is usually not very useful.

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-01
07:29:50

Well, that was the problem and after a bit of trial and error, its all fixed now. happy

Speaking of problems though.... Wheres the Play Online stuff gone? I can't find any menus or buttons to take me to it...?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-11-01
21:20:19

There Play Online links are available from two places: either click Games + a letter (e.g. under O, Oblido should show the link), or from the game's detail page. Do you think we should have a separate page that lists all games that are playable online? There's not too many links right now. I mentioned this earlier, but no-one seemed to want to volunteer to test which games run and which ones don't... Another interesting example: Sherlock's Problem displays garbage chars instead of inverted ones. What are the chances of this getting fixed? wink

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-02
10:34:40

MMM... A dedicated page might be better. I struggled to find those links. Course..... thats saying anyone plays with it - it might not be worth the effort!

Perhaps...I'll rake out the source and see if I can still build the thing happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2008-11-02
12:09:20

Well, maybe because of my screen resolution (1280x1024) I found this Java screen too small, although I have 19" monitor. It would be nicer to have double size screen to able to recognize what is really happpening on the screen. Is there any setting to make it double sized?

Otherwise, I like the way to play online the things (no download, extracting, etc), especially if eg. Picture Shows could be screen online, but I do not know, if D64 emulation works? I am ready to test dozens of uploaded games or demos (maybe the best target, if the emulation is exact enough), if anyone really wants to use this input (with error reports too?)
If you tell me, how I can do it with the Java one, as no file menu was visible there to open other files...

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-02
13:35:20

Actually thats what I changed in the last update of Minus4j, the screen is now scaleable - its also why I was asking about it coz I thought I'd go and change it. happy
The new version lets you set any screen size and it scales up to fit. On todays machines a double size screen won't be taxing - hell, it was running at 400fps before so theres loads of CPU time to kill!! On my machine here, I can have the screen set to 1080x720 (x3) without any slow down. It would be nice to have buttons to switch between them, or even store your preference in your user settings....

I'm trying to update it a little just now to fix a couple of display bugs Csabo asked about, and bring it more in line with Minus4w. However currently there is no multi ROM or DISK support - not to mention sound. I guess these are all possible, but it depends if it would actually get used, as you might guess my free time is somewhat limited.

Remember though... it'll never play demos properly as its not a cycle based emulator. It was always intended to only play normal games. That said... slide shows should be okay...

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-02
13:38:39

Oh Csabo... I see I appear to have (c) from 1998 to 20005. I was planing to live a while, but that seems optimistic I think. happy

http://plus4world.powweb.com/play/oblido

Posted By

MMS
on 2008-11-02
14:09:22

Hi, thanks for the fast response!
Anyhow, great program, I wish I could do such good programs. OK, Disc and sound would be great... But I know it is much easier and faster to raise a request, than to realize it. All of us have a job, and most of us have a family, have some basic demands.

In fact I found a page in the past tried to rewrite the C64 demos in Flash, but I do not know, if they did it via cycle-based emulation, or directly java-written:

Posted By

MMS
on 2008-11-02
14:13:27

BTY, how they programmed in Flash the sprites??? PC on that level had no HW-sprites, just strong CPU, I suppose. We need a 8Mhz CPU in all Plus/4, and SW-sprites and bob would not cause any more troubles happy)

Posted By

Chronos
on 2008-11-02
15:04:33

its not a real problem just a suggestion to include a page or a file with the useable filters on this page to embed picture or videos... <link>blabla</link> <-something like this

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-11-02
17:32:59

Chronos: do you mean the forum help (http://plus4world.powweb.com/forumhelp.php) page ? It is not complete, though, there are apparently some undocumented tags, such as the double brackets for linking to software etc. on this site, and I have also seen links with a different text than the URL.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-11-02
17:36:34

> Remember though... it'll never play demos properly as its not a cycle based emulator. It was always intended to only play normal games. That said... slide shows should be okay...

How about FLI slideshows ? happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-11-02
19:21:03

IstvanV, thanks for pointing out that the forum help page was missing that info, I added it. What are the chances of a plus4emuj? Then we could easily have FLI slideshows in the browser.

Mike, I fixed the year. BTW, Google that term (1998-20005), you get over a hundred pages wink

MMS, it looks like I didn't mention this, but the play page takes a 3rd parameter which is the zoom. Example: http://plus4world.powweb.com/play/oblido/3

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-03
02:45:22

Well, FLI is a per-scanline thing, so it should be possible....but I've never tried. I need to check Minus4w see if it can handle them happy

OOoo... the added ZOOM is cool. Can we get the option to zoom on the page itself? so you can switch between them? I think it should default to a x2 these days.....????

I'm looking at minus4j just now (now that I've managed to rebuild it, and there is a single line I could add to fix the reverse mode but if I'm gonna do anything with it, I'd rather update it to be closer to minus4w).

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2008-11-03
13:16:05

Just some trivial things to mention about the Play Online stuff:

Adding a reminder to click on the applet window, and that cursor keys+space = joystick controls. happy

And a suggestion about minus4j: adding a parameter to set the active joystick ports on startup? That way the Play Online games could be started with the correct ports active (at the moment, the default is port 1 off and port 2 on) happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-11-03
13:42:13

Those are good ideas, I added both (zoom links and the notes). Thanks guys!

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2008-11-03
17:39:42

I'm now having a strange problem with the site; after browsing the site for a while, it starts changing back tand forth between the default site theme, and the Light Blue theme (which I normally use) each time I click a link.

For example, if I click on the Home link, it will change to the site default theme and shows that I'm not logged on; then if I click the Home link again, it appears with my normal settings and that I am logged on; I click it again, it changes to site default; and so on.

It doesn't happen immediately, only after browsing the site for a while (no specific amount of time). Closing and reopening the browser (Firefox), or accessing editing functions stops the problem temporarily.

Any ideas? happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-11-03
22:27:03

Glad to know someone else is experiencing this, happens to me too, exactly the same way. I don't think it's the code, I suspect it's some server level caching. The theme comes from the cookies, and it's not like the cookies suddenly disappear. So basically something "above" our code sees the URL and instead of executing the PHP, it returns the cached page (which obviously get cached with default everything and no login).

Posted By

Ozyma​ndias
on 2008-11-04
01:48:54

http://plus4world.powweb.com/software/1942

Broken link in the introduction part:
http://pirates.emucamp.com/alpha/0/1942/c16/ad.html

Posted By

SVS
on 2008-11-04
02:18:05

>>I'm now having a strange problem with the site; after browsing the site for a while, it starts changing back tand forth between the default site theme, and the Light Blue theme (which I normally use) each time I click a link.

Just click "reload".
Somewhere the pages are saved without aspect-parameter. This appeared even on the old site.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-11-07
16:06:26

SVS, what you said really works, refresh helps. Although I don't remember seeing this with the old site, ever, and here it's more frequent. I can live with it though.

I remember that Ati once mentioned that he does most of his coding when he knows that others are coding too. (Explains why his game that we've seen demoed is not yet released ) My point: I think I'll keep spamming you guys here with all the changes I make to the site, in the interest of... generating interest! happy

Today I added a new link to the edit screen: New (copy) will create a new record and copy all of the fields of the current record you're working on. Something like this was really needed, I just didn't think about the functionality requirements in detail. Anyway, it really helped me today, as I'm entering the "relationship" links between the H&D handbooks and the games they mention. Each record is a copy of the previous, I just have to change the program id and sometimes the page. Handy!

Another thing I think we need is a list of the latest edits. There is actually one table that keeps track of edits, but it's not visible. I can see that people are editing stuff, but right now no-one knows about it...

Posted By

Chronos
on 2008-11-07
17:08:09

respect Csabo,its not easy to run a page like this i see now happy

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-08
13:22:19

I've updated Minus4j to the new version. Sherlock's Problem is now fixed, and other games like Manic Miner now look better. However, there is a speed issue. I think the new java compiler or runtime is basically crap. Still...onwards and upwards I guess.

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-08
15:52:55

I've now fixed the speed issues - good old GetTime() from windows...*sigh*

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-09
12:58:40

minor update...x2 and x3 modes should be quite a bit quicker! happy
Also using a frameskip of 1 should also produce much better results.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-11-09
16:11:27

Cool update Mike! Nice to see you working on it again. Even Quadrillion runs fine now. So did you figure out the debugging part?

For those who are logged in and can edit Programs: I added an "auto link" to every program in the database that is a game and has a .PRG download. This allows you to quickly try out any game. If it works, please update the program's record and save the link. Hopefully this way we'll slowly cover all the games, and find the ones that don't yet work, but probably should!

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-09
17:30:08

Is there anyway to add a new RUN command? Mercenary needs a "SYS" not a "RUN" and although minus4j allows it, it would need a database entry I guess...?

Also, initial joystick and frameskips might be nice...

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-09
18:13:41

Oh yeah.... Installed Eclipse and it does Applet debugging so I can finally do more complex things. happy

Great little feature that "auto link", been having a ball playing some games online!

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-09
18:58:04

I hit a small problem with Prospect Pete +. The filename doesn't appear to be getting picked up right..

http://plus4world.powweb.com/play/prospector_pete_+

I did try renaming it to "plus" and changing the record ti be plus, but it never changed, so I couldn't fix it.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-11-09
19:44:07

I renamed it and now it loads and plays fine! Man, every time I load up these I'm amazed at how cool these old games are.

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-11-10
03:10:14

Csabo, you're damn right happy After worktime, wanna play Solo! happy

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-10
03:34:37

Man that games MAD!!! Just shows games like Gravity Wars on the XBox360 weren't the fist mad games to appear! happy

Oh and the ZOOm (x2 x3) mode seems to be broken all of a sudden..

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-10
03:38:21

Oh...my bad. My fault. Now fixed again happy

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-10
06:50:14

A lot of PRG games don't appear to have the new play online "auto link" available?
(Or at least it doesn't always come up)

A Fáraó Sírja is one...

http://plus4world.powweb.com/software/A_Farao_Sirja

And the autolinking in double brackets doesn't work (in preview at least)

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-10
07:14:45

Adventureland Plus4 also has a "+" in the title and isn't working...

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-11-10
08:35:39

Where are Botticelli Bilderdisk 22 and Botticelli Bilderdisk 25?

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2008-11-10
11:52:14

Another suggestion for Minus4j: a change to the joystick control setup, as using Space as the fire button causes problems with games that make a lot of use of the spacebar and joystick controls (such as the Freescape games).

Perhaps using Right Ctrl or Right Shift as the fire button?

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-10
12:10:50

Yep...already spotted that so its the list for next release already happy

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-10
12:15:09

You know.... I'd KILL for an edit post function...

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-10
12:17:26

LOL.... I rest my case

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-12
11:46:30

None of the demo .PRG files appear to be getting found....???

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-11-12
15:34:58

You mean for the auto links? The demos can still be downloaded through the usual link. It's by design... The Play online page only looks for the PRG file in the games directory. If I have to pass in the whole path, the "/"-es will be weird in the URL. Do you think we should have this?

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-12
17:18:35

Mmmm... wouldn't it be better to have a playdemo/blah instead? Then you could just redirect it via a URL???

Its probably not vital, minus4j was never designed to play demos, but it would play quite a few of them, especially simple ones like vector or picture demos.

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-14
08:26:49

Gremlins +4 is another that needs renamed to "plus4" happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-11-14
19:29:21

I fixed it by allowing + in PRG file names.

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-15
07:13:38

Jabo-dab-o! happy

I've updated Minus4j again, this time to allow sys000 of g12AB style commands in the filename. This means games like Mercenary now work WITHOUT a seprate command. As long as the execture command is in the filename, it will now work happy
Heres the current change list - this version hasn't been publicly released yet.

Added - Added a paramater for the initial frameskip value.
Update - Removed software screen scale and now use built in JAVA one - should be MUCH faster.
Added - Added ESCAPE key (Escape)
Added - Added RUN STOP key - ' (backwards apostrophe, beside 1 key)
Added - Added the * key (numpad)
Added - Added undocumented opcode LAS,Y ($BB) command. Danger Diamonds now runs.
Added - Minus4j now picks up sys0000 style RUN commands from the filename.
So games like "mercenary_sys23552.prg" now work without a seprate RUN command.
Added - Minus4j now picks up g12AB style RUN commands from the filename.
So games like "mercenary_g5C00.prg" now work without a seprate RUN command.

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-15
19:19:00

Another update.... Spent all day doing Minus4j! Now had so much fun in ages!! happy

Drum Mix 3

Posted By

Ozyma​ndias
on 2008-11-17
08:51:45

I found a small bug wink

http://plus4world.powweb.com/software/Plus4_Power_1112

If I click NEXT, I end up at some demo but not at the next issue. I think it's because of the double issue 11/12. At least if you use some kind of counter to increment the issue number. You should end up here:

http://plus4world.powweb.com/software/Plus4_Power_13

Posted By

Ozyma​ndias
on 2008-11-17
09:02:45

The same happens here:

http://plus4world.powweb.com/software/Plus4_Power_2425

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-11-17
10:02:56

It's a good observation, but it's "by design". (Or in other words, it's not a bug, it's a feature! Where have I heard that one before?)

The first, previous, next and last buttons navigate through all programs by ProgramID (which - thanks to URL rewrite - is not even visible on the site anymore). So this is pretty much a random order. If you go to the first game, it's King of Kings. (There's an explanation somewhere on the forum why I added that to the database first back in 1999, even before Plus/4 World ever existed.) Anyway, you click next, you get some other random game. The reason for those two gaps in Plus/4 Power is simple: I automatically added a record for each issue, and then deleted 12 and 25 since those did not exist as standalone programs. Then those id's in between got used up by other random programs. So: the navigation is not sorted by anything, and this is the same for all other parts of the site (members, groups, publications, etc.)

There are two things that I've added since to make this nicer:

1) a special page for magazines, where all issues can be seen in order. This would be the [ more issues ] link.

2) series. There are many programs that are part of a longer series but they are all over the place. If they are part of a series, you get a nice extra navigation on the top of the page that can be used to see each part. See Golden Baton for an example.

So that's the long winded explanation. What that in mind, do you have any suggestions to how to make the navigation better?

Posted By

Ozyma​ndias
on 2008-11-17
10:18:05

Now I'm curious happy I will search the forum for the explanation, promised

I understand. As I was expecting to browse the issues and not the database, I simply didn't see the mechanics underneath.
Maybe for magazines a PREVIOUS / NEXT ISSUE would be more intuitive. But it's a minor thing so don't worry about it.

Posted By

Ozyma​ndias
on 2008-11-17
10:50:29

I searched for King of Kings but I couldn't find the explanation. Just one thread were you wrote that you liked the music.
Btw, it says release date: 1989 on the page but it's from the Compute mit 12/86. I loved/hated that magazine :D

Posted By

SVS
on 2008-11-17
13:56:29

Csabo: (first thanx for your answer)
1) Pls. check the polls page, I feel there are too much reported votes for every poll. For example the failed :-/ BalSys compo truly had only a pair of positive votes. The page on the contrary shows more than a hundred.
2) The problem of the incorrect aspect-option of the site. Now it seems to me be changed, because sometime it is not sufficient to reload in order to obtain the correct skin. Sometime it never apply. Have you screwed something regarding the cooky loading? I say this because I'm experiencing even failed auto login.
Thanx again.

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2008-11-17
17:35:53

Found another problem with Play Online: files with exclamation marks (!) in the file name (see Laza! for an example)

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-11-17
17:58:25

Look in the Monopsy 2 page: the "Á" in Árok's link has become a questionmark! :o

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-11-17
18:29:04

8 Shades of Black is both in the trackmos chart and in the 16K chart.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-11-18
00:09:20

Ozymandias: I guess a prev/next issue link would be nice, I'll think about it. King of kings: sorry I misled you, I thought I mentioned it somewhere. Basically it was just a game I always wanted to get to the end of, it intrigued me, so I picked it. Not much of a story, off topic here really happy

SVS: No changes to cookie handling. If the site is behaving differently it's not because anything we're doing. As for polls, anyone can vote (even non-members, or "robots") as many times as they want. To be honest, as it is, they are quite useless, just something for fun.

Ulysses777: Nice catch, links fixed!

Luca: Fixed the "A", there were a few others as well. Nothing to do now but fix them manually, you can help out you know wink "Fixed" the toplist, although I think that demo would have deserved to be listed in both places, anyway, now it's more concise.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the comments! happy

ps. The only big thing going on in the background that takes so much time and doesn't have much to show for is that all queries go through a central call (a la Drupal wink), so slow queries are easy to catch. For most of them so far I was able to add indexes where needed. Basically the site should be a tiny bit faster here and there, or to put it this way, we don't spend time doing things inefficiently.

Posted By

Ozyma​ndias
on 2008-11-18
09:24:38

Alright happy I think these small stories are a big part of why we like this machine. When I first got Terra Nova I listened to the music for at least 1 hour driving everybody insane. Even my sister remembers that and makes fun of it wink That music left a deep impression happy I didn't want to play the game, yet. I wanted to listen to the music :D

Offtopic I think. Sorry happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2008-11-18
14:51:53

Trial

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2008-11-18
15:00:44

Another prob with Play Online: PRGs with apostrophes (eg Xargon's Revenge)

Edit: the autolink feature doesn't seem to like them either :)

Posted By

MMS
on 2008-11-18
15:37:39

Haha, I made a trial, and after that my IE blown up happy
Just interesting -as I see none of you reported beforehand- I see the time of my comment was on 14:51, but in fact it was done around 21:15PM.
Not a big issue, but finally I could also find something (a small added value, yeah!).

But I know it is a feature, to feel myself fresh enough, even at midnight !

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2008-11-18
16:00:35

The posting times are set by the site server, which is set to US Eastern time.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-11-18
16:30:33

Okay, fixed the apostrophe problem in both places. Thanks happy

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-19
04:29:59

Theres also an issue with the auto pickup of SYS0000 and gAAAA in filenames that causes an issue with this game. I'll need to add better checking.

And that space as fire is a pain since it pauses Xargon's Revenge when you fire.

Posted By

MMS
on 2008-11-19
16:44:03

OK, I suspected to be a feature.

Question: is there anyone from that timezone? seriously...

Posted By

Ozyma​ndias
on 2008-11-19
17:01:58

The powweb server is located there wink

Posted By

Ozyma​ndias
on 2008-11-19
17:04:14

Strange things are happening. On the forum start page it says that I was the last to post in this thread but my posting is not here. So if it shows up twice then it was not on purpose.

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-11-20
13:25:31

Zzap! Italia pub's pages are totally gone

Posted By

MMS
on 2008-11-20
14:46:03

What if we add automatically 6 hours to that ??? Maybe few folks will feel unconfortable in the USA, but they may check the lottery numbers at the same time....

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2008-11-20
17:22:43

Ok, this problem with the pages loading with default settings is getting silly now. It's been getting progressively worse over the last few weeks, and at the moment the site is almost non-functional for editing purposes. Unless I make a post here or force an edit option in the URL field in the browser, it doesn't recognise the logon or style cookies.

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-11-20
18:30:08

Yeah, I tried several times to login, then I've been kicked out instantly

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-11-20
18:37:04

It's server level caching, I'm sure of it. It's above what we have access to. You can basically force the pages to load right by making sure you go to the .php file and appending a random query string (e.g. /forum will be cached, but /forum.php?a=blah won't).

I could counter it by appending an encrypted session id to the query string for logged in users (but that can't be used with URL rewrite). Way too much code changes. Mike, any ideas?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-11-20
18:47:00

Looks like other people on powweb are experiencing exactly same thing: http://forums.powweb.com/showthread.php?t=81118. Does not sound good...

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-21
02:38:39

I got this last night - I was wondering what was happening..... I ended up searching for the programs I wanted to change as the EDIT option was still appearing on the search results....

Do you know the root cause of it? SQL failing, old php files...cookies...? They do have a 24h live chat system so you can speak to someone about it. Not sure if you need root user/pass to get it - I'll try and find out today.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-11-21
10:30:31

From that thread on the powweb forums and from personal experience I'd say this has nothing to with our PHP code or our MySQL database. In some cases they just don't send the cookies, plain and simple. However, today it seems better so far...

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-21
10:45:06

It does, but since I'm on a different machine I wasn't ready to jump up and down with joy just yet happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-11-23
18:04:19

Zzap! Italia scans have been restored.

Posted By

Ozyma​ndias
on 2008-11-27
15:59:51

This is not a site problem, just a small mistake. I haven't found a thread for these things. That's why I post it here.

On the Video Meanies page there's a link to a C64 version which is based on the C16 version. The link is not correct. It should be this one:

http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=2786

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-28
07:16:41

Sensitive + Sid Doesn't appear to work
Sensitive Mixes up with this one.

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-28
07:17:21

Or rather you can't search for Sensitive + Sid, and theres no auto "play online" in it.

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-28
07:18:42

Doh... Just noticed its notstored on here... DOH...

Would it help if Minus4j took FTP details for allowing these to play online?

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-28
16:44:23

The ZOOM function of demos doesn't work. Its not picking up the demos subdirectory.

http://plus4world.powweb.com/play/1551_killer/3

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-29
17:10:12

Way of the Exploding Fist is not working via play online because it thinks the game is stored in dl/e/expl...blah and not dl/w/expl..blah

(if you open the java console window you see the error Minus4j outputs about the file not being found.)

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-29
17:50:04

Fixed the ZOOM function on the demos. 1551 killer and the like now zoom properly. happy

(I should really learn PHP properly...)

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-11-29
17:55:52

Fixed both Way of the Exploding Fist and Exploding Fist +4.

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-29
18:37:47

I didn't know about the +4 version! Thats a very cool port!

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-11-30
05:36:06

Mystic Crystal misses accented letters in the notes row.

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-11-30
08:59:16

The same for, e.g., Lone News 19.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-12-01
14:21:56

Luca, I can fix those, but I mentioned before that it's a manual fix. What can be done automatically though, is replacing the old style links that use the id to the new ones that use URL rewrite. That way, the only ones with question mark in the notes will be the ones need fixing happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-12-01
15:14:00

Oops, beg your pardon, I'm not in my very own actually these days

Posted By

indi
on 2008-12-05
03:27:54

Someone needs change the load address of Castle Adventure as it's loading into the wrong place. (first 2 bytes of the file are wrong).

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2008-12-05
08:11:04

It was saved on the C64, so it would have to be loaded with DLOAD or LOAD"",8. Simply changing the first two bytes would break it even more, because of the BASIC line pointers.

To fix the PRG so that it works with autostart, you would have to load it on a Plus/4 using the above method, which automatically fixes the BASIC line pointers, then re-save the PRG. happy

Posted By

indi
on 2008-12-05
13:19:27

Manged to fix it by loading into Yape and saving out - even managed to renumber it! happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-12-08
19:42:49

World Cup Carnival has lost its a and b tape sides somewhere...

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2008-12-10
09:07:59

Make that all tapes starting from Project Nova and onward...

Posted By

Ozyma​ndias
on 2008-12-19
10:59:18

Not a problem really but a misplaced screenshot.

When I looked at the demo of the day - Aceplotter converted by A.C.S. - I was wondering why the screenshot showed a RACHY Logo. I didn't check the download links but you should do that in case the wrong one is linked.

Rachy converted the same demo. His version is here:

http://plus4world.powweb.com/software/Aceplotter_Plus4

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2008-12-19
11:40:25

The Plus/4 World PRG file on the Aceplotter page is incorrect, it's the same as the one on the Aceplotter +4 page. The Rulez.org and Doc-Top links are the correct PRG.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-12-19
21:41:35

Thanks guys, I fixed both the image and the download. Also for the message before that, I copied all the TAP files over from the old site as well.

Posted By

indi
on 2008-12-21
13:47:26

We appear to be hitting sime SQL query limits: http://www.powweb.com/knowledgebase/read_article.bml?kbid=2539

Luca found this error: Invalid Query: SELECT * FROM [CUT] has exceeded the 'max_questions' resource (current value: 75000)

The problem I suspect is we are doing multiple querys to display a single page, when in fact we should be querying multiple tables at once. But the fact it dropped out means we can expect it to do so more in the future.

As a side effect, it would make the site quicker as well since a single query will be faster.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-01-07
00:07:55

This is about the "play online" feature/jminus4:

When using a German keyboard layout, the upper row ("123...") together with SHIFT yields somewhat weird results, e.g. "(" is missing...

Switching to a different layout helps but maybe it can be fixed to work with the German layout as well.

Posted By

indi
on 2009-01-07
03:27:19

It's probably not missing, just moved. I detect '(' specifically (not 9+SHIFT) so unless JAVA itself isn't getting these keys, I don't see why I shouldn't.

I obvously don't have a German keyboard to test with, but if I get a chance I'll use my Korean one and try that....

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2009-01-13
01:40:44

The member page of the old site provided the capability to sort the members by name, handle, etc. This new one does not provide this. Is this intentional?
Am I the only one who finds a bit confusing that the forum posts of people are sorted in descending order by the date of posting and in ascending order by the time?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-01-13
09:38:30

The member page did have sort and filter, but it was implemented very badly, because it was open to SQL injection. (That code was written around 2000 though!) I removed it a while because of the security concerns and guessed that no-one will notice wink I still mean to fix it up eventually.

I fixed the sort order on the list of posts by members, thanks for noticing.

Guys, the next time an issue comes up, please start a new thread (e.g. Site Problems 2009) as this one is getting inconveniently long. Your help of performing QA on our code is still appreciated though! happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-10-14
17:38:44

Oh, the irony of spammers in this topic

Posted By

bubis
on 2012-11-22
06:42:59

It's not a site problem, just a question from a lame user: Is there any way to see my PM history? happy

Posted By

bubis
on 2012-11-22
12:08:13

clean this shit pls

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2012-11-22
13:14:34

bubis, you could also have done that. That's what the yellow [ Spam ] links are for next to the individual post topics.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2012-11-22
16:58:49

Use this link:
http://plus4world.powweb.com/pm.php?mymessages=1

It's not very pretty, but it does the job.

Posted By

Csio
on 2012-11-22
17:29:46

woooooow! it's great!

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-11-22
18:28:56

Thanks Csabo. I did wonder about the location of the PM folders if any. Bookmarked happy

Posted By

bubis
on 2012-11-23
05:30:38

@gerliczer: I can't find those spam links. We might have different permissions on this site.

Posted By

bubis
on 2012-11-30
12:13:45

Site admins, would you please grant me permissions to clean up mess?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2012-11-30
13:43:51

Sure, now you can. Note that the [ spam ] link will only appear for posts by non-members.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024