Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Waz
on 2024-02-06
17:42:30
 C16 Compilation (Mastertronic) third cassette variant

Having checked my original of the Mastertronic C16 compilation, I have a third cassette variant.

It's actually based on the slightly older Mastertronic cassette label used around the time of Powerball and Prospector Pete, which makes me wonder if they were just using up spare labels, or a release date was planned prior to 1988. I couldn't work out how to add the physical media image to the compilation's page, or ekse I would have done, but it's here below.

Does anyone else have the same one?

Posted By

Luca
on 2024-02-07
02:40:46
 Re: C16 Compilation (Mastertronic) third cassette variant

Never seen before. Please, take a better photoshoot of this, then use the Plus4 World Uploader to deliver it to us wink

Posted By

Waz
on 2024-02-07
07:14:29

Luca,

I've uploaded it now so you should see it. Hope that's helpful!

Posted By

Luca
on 2024-02-07
07:48:17

Thank you @Waz, but I had to ask for "a better shoot" in order to have the whole item into the frame, could you try that, please?

Posted By

Waz
on 2024-02-07
09:30:32

Are there certain image dimensions that the image has to be in, just for reference? I can easily get that sorted if I know it's the case.

The whole cassette is in the frame of the pic I uploaded (using the uploader) as far as I know as below, but any useful guidance will be appreciated.

Posted By

Luca
on 2024-02-07
10:30:01

@Waz thank you, acquired, handled and uploaded! Moreover, I see that we also need a bigger and readable cover scans, and a real TAP dump wouldn't be a bad idea too. About guidelines: we've chosen an ancient mythological limit of 950 pixels in width ;) Receiving larger photos is the best, because I have much more stuff to treat at best.

Anyone could help?

C16 Compilation

Posted By

MIK
on 2024-02-07
18:01:34

I'm 99.9999 sure you already have these tap's from this release. I did them in the early days.

Olympic Skier & Pacmania were non-turbo releases as standalone games, only in this compilation did they come with Novaload. And at the time I would of done Dizasterblaster & Laza!. I don't have the Americana release Dizasterblaster as it released after C16 Compilation, and I didn't take Laza off Triple Decker 7.

Posted By

Luca
on 2024-02-07
18:11:50

So the 4 TAP files cited by your are all taken from this compilation (which cassette version? which is the correct sequence? side a AND b or not?). This is the reason why I asked for a unique omnicomprehensive TAP file. And scans wink

Posted By

Waz
on 2024-02-07
19:27:24

So I got out my 1530USB, and recorded the tape and did a bit of TAP conversion. The order in which the games load each side are:

Pacmania
Dizasterblaster
Olympic Skier
Laza

As you can see here:

I've uploaded a TAP via the Plus/4 World Uploader - and road tested it on both YAPE and VICE XPlus4, all games within the TAP image work on both without issues.

Posted By

Luca
on 2024-02-08
04:55:45

Thank you! Got it, managed it, fixed notes here and there, added missing versions. Scans would be a great addon, Dizasterblaster's single release tape too.

Posted By

Waz
on 2024-02-08
15:09:36

Sadly Luca I don't have Dizasterblaster myself, or else I'd have happily done a TAP of that for you. It is one of the games I am after at present though, so keeping eyes on.

I also don't have a high quality scanner or else I'd look at the cover scans for C16 Compilation. The bold blurry font used for the instructions though (particularly for Laza) isn't that easy to read, even if magnifying it using a phone camera or something similar, so definitely needs a good scanner to take care of it.

Posted By

MIK
on 2024-02-08
21:24:05

All my copies are the white only tape.
Single release Dizasterblaster is ultra rare, in the years I used to look on eBay I only ever saw one and it went for silly money, before 2009. I think C16 Chris has a copy.

Posted By

Luca
on 2024-02-09
11:31:16

A strategy that we didn't adopted in the past: to seek out the compilation versions of games by reading their Novaload serials. This strategy, for example, indicates that our TAP file for Tank Attack had been dumped from the Triple Decker 1 tape, and we still miss of the single release.

Again: our TAP copy of Voidrunner uses Novaload with an unique serial number, whereas Hellgate doesn't have any. Possibly, the copy that we have of the former game comes from Five Star Games III, which we don't have, it could be the only game out of seven to belong from that compilation. Brefly: we need a dump of Five Star Games III in order to compare what we have with it.

We have several of those riddles currently active.

Posted By

MIK
on 2024-02-12
20:06:19

The original Hellgate that came with Voidrunner does not have a turbo, it's just a memory dump. LOAD"",1,1 start game with SYS8192 aka G2000. wink
I've just made taps of both just in case... Below is a photo of the loading info for Hellgate, as you can see there is more tape in the cassette than your average Novaload tape.

Also, Tank Attack Solor Software tap uploaded.

I don't have FiveStar Games III. I already had every game it contained back in the day so I didn't buy it.

Posted By

Luca
on 2024-02-13
03:22:58

Thank you @MIK, this is the confirm that the TAP files of both the Minter's games are the regular ones from the original compilation. We hope to find a copy of Five Star Games III someday in order to verify if those versions have a different loader. Tank Attack uploaded and donwloads fixed, thanks for it. If you can, take the cleanest photos you can of both the Voidrunner + Hellgate's and Tank Attack's cassettes, I'm gonna handle them and upload'em too.

Posted By

MIK
on 2024-02-13
13:30:33

Photos of the actual tapes uploaded. And one very special one, Matrix & Laserzone tape singed by Jeff Minter. I didn't want the cover spoiled so I asked him if he would sign the tape.

Posted By

Luca
on 2024-02-13
15:37:08

Photos are up. Fantastic takes!

Posted By

MIK
on 2024-02-13
18:08:42

Cool. happy

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2024-02-14
09:53:57

Did someone say Five Star Games III?

There's a little something in the uploader wink

Posted By

Luca
on 2024-02-14
14:58:42

Wow @Ulysses777 you always arrive at the perfect timing, take the best photoshots ever, name the files with the perfect lineguides in use here. Always. When I receive files from you, I have very little work to do on them. Thank you, the covers are all up, but I've been able to split up with Tap Manager the side B only, whereas the side A breaks the tool, hence I have to do that manually, cutting WAV after WAV. Or maybe NOT, because as I've checked out, this compilation uses the exact 1:1 files of the single releases, turbos/non-turbos included.

EDIT
All done. The seven games have been copied directly from existing versions, but Voidrunner, though showing the same Novaload serial, shows a slightly different usage set for the turbo loader, and this MIGHT BE an earlier version of the Voidrunner + Hellgate release, fixed later with the copy we all know.

Posted By

Luca
on 2024-03-20
19:31:48

Apparently, we would need tape dumps of Bounder And Planet Search, the suspect is that our current TAP of Planet Search comes from the Omnibus compilation.

We would eventually need: the TAP dump of XCellor8, Dork's Dilemma, Kung-Fu Kid, Monty On The Run, Sword Of Destiny, Petals Of Doom original releases, as the ones we have now share the same A100000 Novaload serial number as seen in Omnibus II.

For the same or similar reasons, the original releases of Bounder, The Magician's Curse, Reach For The Sky, Xargon's Revenge should be at least checked, if possible.

This gives me the chance to recall to all of you that we're still searching for TAP dumps of game compilations that we don't own yet: C16 Classics I, C16 Classics II, C16 Star Games Classics, C16 Star Games Classics III.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024