Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-08-31
21:41:22
 Hall Of Fame Updates

Hall Of FameOur Hall Of Fame has got a new lease on life. Thanks to everyone for their feedback, your voices have been heard. The latest update gives you these features:
  • One games that is more than one game: sometimes, like with Summer Events, you can play two or more different games. A new field (called sub-game) allows you to enter which one you've used. Other examples are Cave Fighter (has Side A and Side B versions), or Daley Thompson's Star Events (has Day 1 and Day 2).
  • Secondary score: for games like G-Man, the score will have a maximum value (4000 in this case). Entering a secondary score (time) will allow us to rank the best ones.
  • Statistics: the top section has been expanded reworked and now includes some (hopefully interesting) statistics.
Some of these features still require manual work, and of course bugs might occur here or there, so be sure to speak up if you have more ideas, or if you see something that doesn't work quite right. Otherwise: keep on gaming :-)

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-08-31
21:41:22
 Re: Hall Of Fame Updates

Nice one Csabo adding in Winter Events & Summer Events, I'll load both games up at some point to see what I currently have saved. happy

I noticed the events are not in alphabetical order, better still would be the order they are played in when you play all events. Maybe put a number in front of the event name to do this?
The Javelin preview thumb picture would look nicer if it showed the guy on the field. wink

Cave Fighter is not in Alpha order. Side B before A.

Nice idea on the stats, shame my name is on it though lol. Luca can't be far behind for the most scores submitted. happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-09-01
02:17:15

Yes, that's a great push toward play'em all again! Hall of Fame is now an unique feature other scenes don't have, and I'll spread the news all around the net, 'coz the more we play the funnier it gets!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-09-01
08:25:57

Thanks! I'll take a look at the sorting. I think alpha is good enough - having to add a number for Summer Events would be a bit confusing. BTW, on your own pages, the scores are now sorted by rank (so you can see how many #1 places you have).

I just checked, I also have exactly 51 scores submitted, like you MIK happy So it's a tie, but the query just picks one of the records at random to be first.

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-09-01
09:07:48

Till today, I've tried to enter scores where they weren't reaching 3 entries overall. Said that, there are some games I've never learned to play, like Tomy Takoushi's games, or Icicle Works and Split Personalities. Plus, there are some cool games that are boring to play further because of their tedious and repetitive nature, like Fingers Malone and Auto Zone, or like Terra Cognita where you can accumulate points by continuously teleporting back.
Again, I've tried several times to beat MIK at Ikari Warriors trying to optimize the score by avoid overlapping of the attack waves, avoiding suicide foes and bombing exhausted tanks to take the points...but ain't able to catch him

From today, I'm going to play any game, not only the ones with lacking of entries wink

EDIT: had a couple of plays at Liberator, beat my score, dude! :D

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-09-01
10:41:18

Like G-Man, there's other games which has a maximum score such as the 2 Monty games and Tom Thumb.

For some reason my Tom Thumb score is back up in the HOF. I don't consider it a fair score as I used save-states to complete it purely for a Youtube longplay video. Should I play it again normally and upload that score instead?

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-09-01
10:44:31

Oh well, if the usage of save states involves unlimited attempts once you're dead...heh yes you have to, and that's a rule for every game! grin

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-09-01
11:03:56

Fair do's. I'll make that my next game and just put whatever score I get, lol.

Also, I've just uploaded my maximum hi-score of Auf Wiedersehen Monty of 3,200. How do I enter the secondary score for time taken?, as watching it on my Youtube video I estimated it took me 11m 33s to complete.

Also, if the time taken doesn't show on the screen, how will we know it's better than the other max scores? As table positions doesn't automatically update when you beat a score. In which case, now is probably the ideal time to fix it.

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-09-01
12:57:11

Mmmm I fear the secondary score should be something valuable which is part of the gameplay itself, and not some empirical ones I can get in count. Otherwise we may keep charts about who press the Commodore key at its best while a gsme loads. wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-09-01
14:14:13

Right, just like Luca said. Let's try to use values from the actual game itself. Additionally, it's really only needed when many people have the exact same score.

Well, since it seems no-one else besides MIK can beat G-Man at this point, that feature will be reserved for future use happy

Edit: sorting should be sorted out. Replaced the Javelin image with a better one, thanks for the suggestion!

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-09-01
17:43:30

Btw (offtopic): I didn't remember that Liberator was SO cool to play, it's a pity there's that weird collision routine to damage the whole playability, but it's still a great game. I wonder how the famous Uridium C16 coded by Patrick Strassen and never released could be better...unfortunately we didn't have success in contact him again :/

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-09-01
19:33:35

I just uploaded my legitimate Tom Thumb score of 36,000.

Very beatable. Mind you I got to one of the most trickiest parts of the game with the first set of those double squiggly line flashing white gates, at the top of that very high spring jump. Many players can waste all their lives on that infuriating spot.

So, no maximum score of 198,000 achieved yet. The challenge has been reset wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-09-02
10:11:39

Baz,
Tom Thumb can be completed as it's just a question of timing, and once you have mastered the laser beams and got the timing correct for them it's only the blue critters that fly across as you go up a spring that "can" kill you. There is a trick to surviving the fly things though. Look at Tom's feet and remember how he was standing, (facing) before you pulled down to use the spring. You can line Tom up differently while stood on the same spot, practice makes perfect but one frame of Tom he will not die when he gets hit by the critters. wink
Yeah I used too pray, "please don kill me", "please don't kill me" as the flying things came across. One day I started to experiment, the rest is history and why I've completed Tom Thumb a number of times without cheating.
I would be a bit rusty today to make a video replay, (you've already done one any way) and I would have to put some time and practice back in to catch those 2 or 3 joint laser beams sections on the timing, plus remembering how I stood as I went on a spring... If you have the time and energy you can reach the end the normal way though. Trust me, complete it properly and you will become a Jedi Knight like the master, Udo Gertz.

Luca,
I might have an idea why you might not be scoring as much as me in Ikari Warriors. There could be the odd time when your taking longer to kill the enemy. In other words, the game can only display a certain amount of enemies on the screen at once, and if you walk up the screen with the enemies still in play then over the course of the whole game you loose ground for new enemies to come into play once you reach the end. So you might be missing one wave of bad guys in total. Maybe more can be scored than what I have, just maybe I have also lost ground on the amount of bad guys that can be in the game. I bet if you video off your run and count the amount of bad guys, your see a difference between yours and mine.

Yes, Liberator is an awesome little gem and for some strange reason people forget about. Needs more lovin. I see you have taken 1st place on the high score leader board, nice one! happy

Fingers Malone under all the rails and lifts it's nothing more than a Pac Man clone, a very good and very hard Pac Man type game that is. happy
All games are repetitive, just some are harder than others or require more patience to see them through so not all are boring. Some are proper nasty though like One Man And His Droid.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-09-02
10:03:41

Yeah those little blue flying critters are nasty. Still easier than the first set of squiggly double gates though, fortunately the second set near pyramid completion you can bypass altogether. With some practice I may beat the game legit. Don't see why not, I've played it long enough.

Mind you a youtube video of it without cheating and save states would have to be preferably done with no lives wasted, as it's already well over an hour long without losing a single life.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-09-02
23:49:31

Luca,

My Winter Events times/scores are in... thanks to Csabo for putting them in for me as I wasn't sure how to add by event type.

grin

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-09-03
02:16:57

Yeeeeah!
I guessed you might have saved some older scores from those times, but I see you've played'em right now! My scores are the result of weeks in gaming sometimes back in 1987, but you've beaten me at first attempt happy

EDIT: Csabo and I are in search of a third foe in order to include him into our challenge on Bit Fox. :)

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-09-03
06:34:59

Yeah they are more recent, within the last year on the real machine. Being a bit rusty it was better to start a fresh. I think I recorded over my Summer Events records too, but have not played that for a while so will be slow or low scores lol.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-09-03
17:41:00

Finally made room and hooked up my real C16, sitting proud in place next to my C64.

So just submitted 4 hi-scores for Winter Events. I never really played the events games much never owning these two at the time in the 80's.

So tbh they're crappy low scores. I did a bit better in a previous game, but it somehow never saved to my SD2iec card and I lost them. I've saved the scores to an old cassette tape now for another time.

The speed skating frustrates me a little with the controls. I know it's all about timing and pacing, but from the beginning it's just so difficult to build him up to a good pace.

The bobsled I did manage to beat, but I can't figure out how to make it faster, I've tried pusing up or is it down on a straight but doesn't seem to make much difference.

Both the skiing games I just gave up on. Those damn pesky trees. Any tips are appreciated.

Posted By

George
on 2014-09-03
14:18:55

@csabo
Cool update!
Can you put the link for posting the scores at the top of the list? I am surfing with 64kb/s and the list is long!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-09-03
15:00:00

That's an excellent usability improvement, George. I added it to the top as well. I left the bottom one, if someone does scroll down and they fell like the next thing they should do is add their own score, they can go for it happy

Posted By

George
on 2014-09-03
15:59:37

Thanks. I found a little bug. My record of Winter Events Slalom is on the false rank. I posted it in the wrong format originally

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-09-03
16:04:51

Yeah, after editing an existing record it does not automatically re-rank the scores. It's easy to do it manually though. I'll see if I can add the code to to it later.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-09-03
16:29:48

Baz,

Bobsled. At the start, DO NOT HOLD, but keep tapping UP, UP & UP quickly over and over on the joystick until you get to the first corner. Your pick up a lot of speed from doing this, think of it as running even though the graphics don't show it.
Also, to get better you need to take the highest point on each corner. If your doing really good and going quick then the last 7 or so corners will be crazy fast!!! Hold that top corner edge if you dare.

BTW, You can practice any event and repeat until your happy and any new records will be recorded!

Speed Skating. In short, get some traction on the ice and try and build up speed whilst keeping the traction going, after a while your be going fast and then it's a case of getting the right pace...
Here is a deeper understanding of the Speed Skating
Watch the legs, start off slowly with left and right and get a feel your actually pushing the skater along, feel for the weight of each leg slide as you go left/right. Get the pace right and go quicker and the skater will speed along... at top speed he will fly along with little effort what so ever, you sort of end up using the joystick as a pendulum to keep the motion going. It's getting up to this pendulum motion quickly is key to getting a faster time. All in the fingers.

Biathlon. Go Light/Right quicker when going up hill than you would on the flat, about twice as fast. Keep tapping Down, Down, Down as you go down hill. When at full speed your again looking to do the pendulum motion as you ski on the flats and a bit up hill. Going down hill you can always get the speed back up tapping down as you go down, even after the shooting part.
Up/Down to load gun, fire to shoot.

A shame you don't have a friend in the same room with you, this game is really addictive when there are two of you at it and you learn from each other as you play side by side.

Posted By

MMS
on 2014-09-03
16:37:24

BAZ

Trees tip. Avoid them. ( It was free grin )

Posted By

George
on 2014-09-03
17:20:02

@BAZ
Best Tip: Training, Training, Training....This game is a joystick-Killer. I remember spending many hours at that game in the 80's. And after all that years, i realize what great game Winter Events still is. Its one of the best games for the c16.

@MIK: WOW. Really great Jump, man!

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-09-03
17:15:00

George,
Your Biathlon time is not correct... 21. seconds? lol

Csabo,
I noticed a couple of the events for winter events now have 4 entries, however the (show more) option is missing on a couple.

Posted By

George
on 2014-09-03
17:18:56

@MIK: LOL...i was very quick that day....LOL

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-09-03
17:40:14

Maybe you entered it wrong and it should read 2:14:X as in 2mins 14 seconds?

otherwise your current 21 seconds will be deleted.

Posted By

George
on 2014-09-03
17:42:15

@MIK:
I entered 2:49:2 . I can read it perfectly.
Maybe you havent refresh the site, or you have different local settings, or you discovered a bug

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-09-03
17:47:54

MIK was right, it was badly enter, dunno why or what did happen. Anyway, now it's fixed and ranked. Gentlemen please, remember to enter the date when the score has been achieved (approximated to what you remind about), not the entry's one.

MIK: aaaah, UP and UP! For years, I started bobsled by moving the joystick UP and DOWN! :o

George: is 21:0 your score for Speed Skating? Probably, you did swap the biathlon entry with the speed skating one :) In that case, Speed Skating must be fixed, tell me if that's correct.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-09-03
17:48:10

Thanks for those tips. MIK.

Unfortunately I won't be home for 2 weeks from tomorrow. Any future play will have to be via emulator until I return.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-09-03
17:56:02

No rush Baz, I hope in time you find it rewarding to play and get more out of it.

any ways have a good break! happy

PS. I see the server is now playing up over at commodore16.com

Posted By

George
on 2014-09-03
17:57:08

@Luca: Check the records on the Winter Events software site (not the overall listing)
Now i have for speedskating a time of 2:49:2. Thats wrong: it is 21,4.
Maybe somthing happend.

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-09-03
18:05:10

Ok, all fixed. Oh well, apart of one little bug: in HoF there are some charts of 4 entries where the 4th entry can't be seen (see for example: Ski Jump), whereas they're perfectly visible on the game's page. Csabo will be promptly alerted about that wink

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-09-03
18:36:47

MIK: Yep commodore16.com is giving me a right bloody headache right now, one problem gets fixed, something else pops up to replace it. Chris has linked the site with an external website protection plan and that's where it's giving an error, so I am not sure if it's that again or if the main site server is down in general and the error message is just hinting at that. I've checked over it all and it has me stumped. I haven't heard from Chris in a few days, I trust he's aware but he's probably busy with a few things right now. I've just messaged him about it now anyway

P.S - As Luca has just pointed out, my scores also aren't showing up for the bobsled & ski jump on the main HOF, yet it shows up on the actual game entry pages.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-09-03
21:28:39

Sorry about that bug: the JavaScript code which showed the entries after the first 3 was tied to the game's ID number. So once we had several entries for Winter Events, only the first one worked... I fixed it, now it's tied to the ID + the sub game.

It's so nice that when something break, you guys just report it and wait patiently wink

Let me know if there's anything else odd, I'm sure we'll have a few more issues to iron out.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-09-04
12:53:31

Nice one Csabo, looks good. happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-09-06
05:42:19

I improved my time in Winter Events/Bobsled following the hints from MIK, he was right on everything, including the UP UP UP feature at the start, in contrast with what the instructions say.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-09-06
06:25:46

That's testament to the quality of the game it's self. I'm sure the instruction were done by the guys at Kingsoft running the business who just got hold of the game and were keen to get it into the shops. What they discovered from playing was what they made notes of...? wink

Just goes to show 27 years later you can still find something new in a C16/Plus4 game. Thank Csabo for the update, without it you may of been none the wiser. grin

Very nice time on Bobsled Luca, 51.1 is now the time to beat!

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-09-06
06:34:16

MIK that time still has large choices to be improved wink And, yes: HoF is like choosing the 'number of players: 200' option in Winter Events wink

Posted By

George
on 2014-09-06
07:43:01

great competition, guys! I will take part from time to time. Winter Events is a great game!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-09-07
18:45:35

When you update a score entry (via the Edit feature), the rankings are now automatically updated. I think that was the only outstanding issue. Now the only thing that needs manual adjustment is when a new game is added, and it needs to be sorted in a way different from the normal (normal being: highest score is first). But that's something that is both rare, and only needs to be done once per game.

I'm very happy with the responses from everyone, love seeing new scores being submitted. Keep it up guys happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-09-09
17:40:45

Great news happy

I am currently playing Xargon Wars. The default lives is set to 3.
But on the menu screen you can set it to a maximum of 4.
Is this permittable? Be honest, has anyone else used 4 lives? wink

My hi-score in the HOF so far is by using 3 lives.

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-09-09
17:55:28

Read any score's note: we've all used 3, Litwr used 4 for his stratospheric record from 1988.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-09-09
18:05:51

oops, thanks. I somehow overlooked that.

As it's a difficult game and Litwr has used 4 lives, I'm going to now do the same and use 4 lives too. We all may as well from now on happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-09-09
19:13:14

Csabo,

I've forgotten what it's called but...
Wondering if an #A - #Z bar would be nice under the "Newest additions" & "Statistics" windows. Say, if you wanted to look at Winter Events then you hit "W" and it scrolls the page down to the first game in the W's.

The amount of games building up on that page does not worry me in the slightest though as it's nice having a browse over the whole lot now and then, just something to make it a little easier would be cool when you want to look at something in a hurry? wink

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-09-10
05:03:58

I've just added three scores which have been achieved of course not cheating, but taking advantage of the weakness of those games'structure, Airwolf and Cave Fighter. This roughly means: staying there and keep shooting yelds more than going further in the game.
Maybe at the moment it could be a secondary level feature which can wait, but a next and much complex evolution for HoF would be: eligibility by users for those games where the competition is intrinsicly out due to a flaw in the playability that compromises the challenge.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-09-10
05:52:03

My Airwolf run is just a demo of the game in action any way and if the game should be removed then so be it. Csabo added my score picking up on some remaining video's I had not added, not that there was a problem with that. wink

I put time and effort in to Cave Fighter playing it legit just to show off haha! happy
Did you finish it Luca? If so can you remember what it might of said on the Congratulations screen for your rating? I long forget but is that a completion percentage or is it linked to the amount of lives you have left? And of course our scores are on that screen...

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-09-10
05:59:32

Unfortunately, Cave Fighter shows a rating percentage in the end screen, and not a completion one. That is, we cannot figure out score charts with that variable :/

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-09-10
06:17:14

If it has to go then so be it... happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-09-25
12:41:06

Just found out last night that cbm8bit.com now also has a hi-score area, including for our platforms.

http://cbm8bit.com/highscores/games/c16-plus4/

I submitted my first last night, done a few more today which should appear shortly. The lemon64 member c64web reckons it's worthwhile uploading some of our personal scores as active platforms will have prizes along with the competitions. We may as well help the idea along (as well as submitting them here too of course). It might even create some new interest happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-09-27
20:43:28

*points to Zolyx highscores* 259,237. Level 10. Checkmate! *smug smile*

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-09-28
06:17:09

I followed your improving step by step...incredible :o

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-09-28
06:57:55

So did I. happy

Csabo also said that once you reach 200k, if you get a magnifying glass and zoom-in to the main character of Zolyx it looks like this: grin

Great score Csabo! wink

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-10-21
06:37:08

*points to Dirty Den highscores* 75,950. Level 12. (completed with added longplay video) *smug cheesy grin*

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-10-21
05:45:02

Baz you optimized the score in the very end, picking up the girl after the longest run possible, great! The hard passage in level 5, the one that did terminate my game, seems to be the hardest from all.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-10-21
06:34:56

I believe that I may have accumulated the max points available in the game, maybe someone can do one better? wink

Level 5 surprisingly isn't as hard as it looks, it just requires a small knack as the beginning although it's pretty tricky.
Mind you I'm surprised I still completed it after losing 3 lives right there. I don't usually lose that many on that spot.
Talk about a tense run-through, lol. It does gets a lot "lot" harder than this later on though. Levels 8 and 11 are killers.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-10-21
08:51:42

Excellent score, congrats! Looks like a game that one can get better with practice, though luck is also needed.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-10-21
10:08:28

Cheers. Yeah, it's definitely one with moderate to high difficulty but I think the balance is just about there (apart from the random luck in certain parts) to keep you coming back for more. As I said in my review, you get that feeling that you just know you can get that little bit further than before happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-10-21
12:27:02

Great to know Dirty Den can be beat, as for watching a video... I'll pass on the offer as I need to beat the game off my own back and don't want anyone spoiling the ride. It's one of a few games that still has something to offer, if only I make the effort. wink

I haven't given up on it...

Nice to know it can be finished though, respects for that! happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024