Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2009-02-13
04:38:53
 Site Problems 2009

Search results extracted from the forum are displayed in the same strange order as member forum posts were earlier.
The faces of the scene page has two entries about indi and only one of them has picture. It is maybe redundant this way.
Member initials may have a slight problem. It is common in Hungary that names begin with double letters (Csory is one example) but the initials on the site consist of only one letter and I think that is not correct.
Clicking the Off Topic category link produces Page Not Found error.

Posted By

SVS
on 2009-02-13
05:42:38
 Re: Site Problems 2009

Not sure it is a site problem.
Anyway sometimes when I attempt to do a page update from the forum main page, after net reload process the homepage is shown (and forum page is not updated).
I use Opera browser.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2009-02-13
06:47:19

If you are talking about the Off Topic link then I think you are wrong. I checked it with IE6, FF3 and O9.63, and the results were all the same - Page Not Found.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-02-13
12:00:16

I fixed the following:
- sort order in forum search,
- removed broken image from Faces of the Scene,
- off topic links should work (the problem was the space in "Off Topic").

The initials are not perfect, but I think it's fine. They are only shown for non-members anyway (members see the full last name), so that search engines don't pick up the persons last name. It's just the way it is on this side of the pond: my initials are "C. P." (instead of P. Cs.)

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2009-02-20
09:56:43

Frog as a scene member handle conflicts with the Frog game's name. Clicking the link on the opening page takes one to the game instead of the member's page.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-02-20
14:44:33

Sorry about that. I fixed the link. The two URLs are completely separate, it's the autolink function (the double square brackets) that finds a match in the software list before looking in members.

Posted By

Luca
on 2009-02-21
05:09:21

rulez.org's link for Heartfixer 95% dies because of the "%" used into the filename, though the link had been inserted correctly.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-02-21
10:11:17

What do you mean dies? It downloads for me. BTW, using % in a URL is a bad idea as it has special meaning.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-02-21
10:44:35

When you click on the rulez.org link (either left or right mouse button) nothing happens. I think that is what Luca means. I can't download it from rulez.org.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-02-21
10:48:29

The current download link is:

ftp://c64.rulez.org/pub/plus4/Demos/Bubis/Heartfixer_95%.prg

And I guess Luca is right.

Csabo, can you download that demo from rulez.org via the link here?

Posted By

Luca
on 2009-02-21
11:10:44

Csabo: yeah, years ago I'd chosen to keep all the weird characters I can, then I continued to do as an habit, and that's the sad result happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-02-21
16:51:40

Chicken, I can download it, either by simply clicking the link from the program detail page, or copy/pasting it from your post.

I know you do that Luca, I do the opposite, and it's from experience. At work while working on our product (which is web based), we used to run into all kinds of problems reported by customers when we used "weird" characters in file names, even space. There's so many OSes out there and so many browsers! The customer not being happy is the worst thing that can happen to a business, it's simply not worth it. Solution: only use numbers letter and underscore in file names.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-02-21
19:20:27

I guess it's an IE thing then. I have to agree... Filenames with nonstandard characters cause so many problems

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2009-02-21
20:43:53

It works with Firefox and the latest version of Opera, but not IE.

Older versions of Opera will say the URL is invalid, while IE won't do anything at all.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2009-02-22
06:59:49

I think the autolink function should be extended. If it would look for all possible matches and when it finds more than one display a disambiguation page then there will be no need to repair links manually.
The forum post preview needs a bit of improvement. It should also resolve the autolinked content. That would make it easy to check that linking is correct or not.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2009-02-22
09:29:50

its not a problem, just an idea: if you put a textbox somewhere on the frontpage u can inform us about the upcoming events like parties compos whatever.. i will help ya to fill it with info happy

Posted By

SVS
on 2009-02-25
10:43:28

Just to signal: "Dunric" is somebody visualized as "dunric76", see a few posts ago.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-02-25
12:21:36

That's not a problem SVS, he and other people also do this from time to time. If they don't want to log in (or can't for some reason), they post under a similar username (since posting anonymously under a registered user's name is not allowed). What I do manually (at random intervals depending on how much sleep I had) is check their IP and if it's the same user, I connect the post to their record.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-03-04
08:41:35

What happened to the rarely advertised quickvote?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-03-04
09:29:02

Not much, it's still here: qvote.php. I just checked, it's working. Where do you think this link would fit in?

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-03-04
09:56:55

That's the link I tried. And all I got was an empty page. And I was logged in. This is really strange because now it works. Though, I thought it brings up programs that have 4 votes and are awaiting a fifth one.

You could hide it in a tavern or a church wink No seriously, put it on the frontpage where the polls are. And on the "Top List" page.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2009-03-06
15:36:51

if i tryin' something to "play it only" it gives me the following:

Java(TM) Plug-in: Version 1.4.2_15
Using JRE version 1.4.2_15 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Minus4j (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

..and it won't run, i got a red X on the upper left side of the box and thats all.
I'm using IE7 and vista32bits..

Posted By

Chronos
on 2009-03-06
15:37:42

"play it only" means "play it online" of course happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-03-14
19:02:22

You may be interested in some improvements I made to the site recently:
- The personal messages RSS feed removes your original reply, leaving the actual text you received.
- The forum RSS feed includes a bit of the forum text (if there's room)
- The Top List includes a link to the Quick Vote page.
- The Covers page includes a link to the Disk Covers page.

If there's any more improvements you can think of, you know, small usability issues, don't hesitate to let me know.

Posted By

Luca
on 2009-03-15
09:12:06

...and I added several game's finals as .FRE snapshots to be load in YAPE happy
And what about the general uploader by Mike?

Posted By

MikeZ
on 2009-03-16
18:00:41

I am not receiving indications that private messages sent have been received. My member listing indicates I've not been to the site for over a month - actually at least once a week.
I tried to send myself a test private message with no results. I cannot post this message using my actual user name:MikeZ.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-03-17
11:02:28

All of this is related to you not being able to log in, which has to do with cookies. Are you sure your browser is accepting cookies?

If you ARE logged in (that is, the site knows it too from the cookie), your last visit date will be immediately updated, and you'll see all your PMs as well.

Posted By

MikeZ
on 2009-03-17
15:30:51

Yes, my browser (opera) is set to allow cookies, some of which have been added as recently as yesterday. FYI: I have never been able to log in, but previously my visits were
tabulated correctly, and previously the PMs worked OK.

Posted By

MikeZ
on 2009-03-17
16:19:55

I just reset all the preferences in Opera and most everything works OK except the PM doesn't recognize me and I have to use a different User Name to get the message into the system.

Posted By

MikeZ
on 2009-03-17
17:00:28

correction. It is the forum posting dialog that doesn't recognize me as MikeZ. The "last seen" seems to be working OK. I can make up a user name and get something posted. When it posts, it reverts to my actual user name???? Probably not worth fixing. Thanks anyhow.

Posted By

SVS
on 2009-03-18
14:59:56

1) It seems I have nomore the same editor rights as time ago (anyway after the new site moving). In the table of editing now I'm not able to find forum-posts...
(for this reason I cannot delete the multiple messages resulting to recent Litwr post, after my single reply).

2) Entering onto Variables from editing table, system says:
SELECT * FROM Variables WHERE Id=last_tj5_check_time
Unknown column 'last_tj5_check_time' in 'where clause'

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-03-18
16:02:46

As many have probably noticed, I implemented editing posts. This means that everyone can edit their own posts (please don't get carried away happy). You will not see this table listed in the edit page, but there should be an edit link next to your own posts. I see that you have managed to delete the double reply.

I fixed the problem with Variables, and also increased the access rights needed to edit that table. It's low level system stuff (not Plus/4 related), no-one needs to see it or edit it.

MikeZ, what you're saying sounds like a caching issue to me. The only way you can post under your own username is if you're logged in. In that case, you will not see a "username" field, just a message telling you that you're logged in and you post will appear as XYZ. If you're seeing the username field instead, then your browser is probably presenting you a cached page that you retrieved while you were not logged in.

Posted By

MikeZ
on 2009-03-19
10:06:29

Csabo: I bookmarked the login page as the first place I go, and I log in. Then I go to the forum and the problem is still there as described previously. BTW: I am getting my PMs before I have a chance to login, so something is recognizing me, just not the Forum posting page??

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-03-19
14:05:51

Again, to me this sounds like a caching problem. The only way you can get PMs is if you are logged in. Login cookies are set for one year, so finishing the session does not log you out.

Sounds like you're using Opera. I don't have it installed here, but I'm sure it has a setting somewhere on when/how to cache pages. You should try setting the browser to the equivalent of "disable cache" or "always get new pages from server", see if that helps.

Alternatively, when you go to the forum post page (which is /forumpost.php), you could try sticking a random query string to the end of the URL. (An example would be: /forumpost.php?randomvalue=1234) This will be ignored by everything, but it usually tricks the browser (and the server) into thinking you're visiting a new URL, so it should NOT use a cached page.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-03-19
14:13:48

When I'm logged in and open an existing thread I don't get the "edit" option. Only when I click "reply to this topic" the "edit" option is there for my previous postings. It's not really a bug but sometimes it would be easier if I could just edit my posting in the thread.

Btw, if I'm not logged in and open an existing thread the "edit" option is there (of course access is denied if I click it then).

Posted By

MikeZ
on 2009-03-19
14:53:52

Csabo: I tried both and no change to the problem.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-03-24
17:42:34

The database links from the front page (e.g. http://plus4world.powweb.com/ml.php?filter=And%20M.MemberTypeID='811') don't seem to work. I expected some "filtering" but I get all names.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-03-29
08:05:23

Voting for Compilations should be disabled.

Example:
Bounder and Planet Search

Posted By

Chronos
on 2009-03-29
11:12:39

bounder? never heard of it..

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-03-29
11:24:46

Check it out then wink It's quite nice!

Bounder

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-03-29
20:28:41

I'm okay with making that change (not allowing votes for compilations). Anyone against?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-04-01
11:59:17

\o/ is the new :-)? Ever eager to help, Mr. Site Admin added new smileys! Check the forum help page for the full listing.

Posted By

SVS
on 2009-04-02
04:19:57

Csabo:
>As many have probably noticed, I implemented editing posts. This means that everyone can edit their own posts (please don't get carried away ). You will not see this table listed in the edit page, but there should be an edit link next to your own posts. I see that you have managed to delete the double reply.

1) This means that any supereditor is nomore able to delete possible spam-messages like that one appeared today. IMO you should enable to supereditores the ability to make some modifications even in non-own messages (in order to avoid Luca have to fix all English mistakes, for example).
2) I had not deleted the triple posts: maybe someother made it.
3) New smiles are great, but I need a C64 smile in order to complete this:

[C64]

Posted By

SVS
on 2009-04-23
03:22:46

Csabo: maybe there is a problem with members validation because some guys are never visualized in the list of online/last 2 hours/last 8 hours visitors. For example JimH, Solder, and some times Mikez are never listed.
Thankz

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-04-23
09:16:46

I checked all 3 of them: they have the appropriate visitor records created, linked to their member record, and their last visited time/date is recorded properly. I can see them in the longer list (over 8 hours). I changed one of their last visited time records manually and it shows up on the forum page as well.

It seems to me that this is functioning properly, you just simply missed them. If you go to their details page, you can see their last login time (which should be over 8 hours if they are not in the list that appears on the forum).

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2009-06-17
02:15:27

In the Maps section Monty on the Run and Saboteur 2 maps are duplicated.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-06-17
10:33:06

I fixed Monty, now there's only one record showing two maps. Saboteur 2 is different: technically those are two separate games, and both have the same map. It could be "fixed" by removing the map entry from one of them, but I think we can leave it. Thanks happy

Posted By

TLC
on 2009-06-20
14:21:35

Found something strange (but logical, having thought that over again)...

My browser is set up so that it would drop all cookies and such upon exiting. Consequently, every time I start browsing after a cold boot of Firefox I enter the site "anonymously" (then log in and such).

When I list a forum topic whose owner is not a registered member, and I'm not logged in, then I see all comments being editable (screenshot 1, http://www.harsfalvi.net/shots/1.jpg). ...If I actually try, I'm told (correctly) that I can't do that.

Listing some topic whose owner is a registered member doesn't show that effect (http://www.harsfalvi.net/shots/2.jpg)

After logging in, the fields become correct (http://www.harsfalvi.net/shots/3.jpg) .

...Not that it would disturb anyone, I guess.

Posted By

TLC
on 2009-06-20
14:27:00

On a related note...

Could someone please point me to a faq or something like that with infos on, say, editing these comments here -- I mean, how do I enter hyperlinks, embed images (if at all), link to members, productions on p4w -- ? ...I'd always forget those details (sorry... ).

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-06-20
17:29:06

For the first issue, I'm pretty sure you're seeing the [ edit ] links because our host cached the pages like that. I looked at the PHP code again. There's an if statement there that adds the edit links either if it's your post or if your logged in user level is >= 8. Should not be happening according to the code, hence my guess that this is due to caching.

As for the forum help, you can find it at the top of the post page, there's lone link that should say "Forum Help". Here's the actual link: /forumhelp.php

Posted By

TLC
on 2009-06-21
04:31:50

...I thought I could see the edit links because, as long as I was not logged in, and as long as the topic had been created by someone not logged in, it was virtually "my" topic :-D... Okay. And thanks for/pointing me to the forumhelp page.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-08-17
12:36:55

Not really a problem...

http://plus4world.powweb.com/software/Space_Sweep_Invaders

Votes for compilations should be disabled, or?

And earlier today (not logged in then) some pages, e.g. entries for games, had some message saying there's a problem or something like that. It seems to be fixed already.

Posted By

Luca
on 2009-08-17
13:04:18

Ah-uh, I didn't know the compilations have to be tagged as "excluded for voting, a confirmation of that rule and I'll begin to top'em all wink

The problem you faced is a classic of this new server, sometimes, when I have to get it several times in a minute, it completely crashes and throw me out!

Posted By

Chronos
on 2009-08-17
14:24:46

Luca: nice to see you active again happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2009-08-17
14:53:03

Chronos, I've never dropped, I did little fixes here and there even in the worst moments wink
Unfortunately, I still have no power to turn back composing, or coding yet...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-08-17
15:13:56

I don't think all compilations should be excluded from voting. It makes sense to me to be able to vote for a game pack, and base the vote on how good of a value the pack provided.

As for the site errors: unfortunately they are quite frequent. From the logs, we're seeing "Out of memory (Needed 1676960 bytes)" type messages, the number of bytes vary. I'm pretty sure it's because we're sharing the database server with other sites. Some of it is our fault though, there are tables and queries that need optimization. I'm working on this, and also adding some caching to the site to speed up certain pages.

On the pages you guys see these errors should show up as "We apologize..." etc message, no need to report those. What should be reported though is if a page dies entirely, or if it dies with an error message mid page and doesn't continue.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-08-18
09:45:40

Csabo...
Yes, I understand your point. I just brought this up because I think I saw some compilations "excluded" from voting.
On the other hand, times have changed and no one really cares any more about "value for money" (I know, it's probably not the only "value" you can vote for). Back then, e.g. the OMNIBUS compilations were a fantastic bargain. But now I really don't consider the price when rating compilations. Ok, you could still vote for "How good are the games?" but I rather do this individually.

Another similar topic is "trainer versions". I think it is agreed on that they are excluded from voting. Those that slipped through (e.g. Tom Plus) just haven't been edited, yet. Still, some "trained" versions add a certain "extra value" and I'd rate them higher than the original work. Where to draw the line between simply trained and improved versions?
The same applies for Csory's 1551 versions of games that didn't support this drive until he made them to. Nowadays with emulators around we don't really care about this anymore. But back then, it was a vital thing to have a particular game supporting the 1551, too. Sure, 1551 support doesn't make the game itself "better" but somedays it decreased loading times a lot and without 1551 support the game was in fact worthless. And it's a rather big task to do 1551 support (I know from experience wink ). I am forever grateful to Csory for doing so and I'd like to give him extra credit for that.

Btw, has anyone heard of his whereabouts?

Posted By

Luca
on 2009-08-18
11:42:40

Eeeeh *sniff*, in the end the boiling cup spitted its stuff, this is the most soft soul of the infamous guidelines post, where we tried to set some guidelines about titles, notes filenames and so on.

Let's have a look then:
- compilations: they can have voting in all cases to me, it's up to you if they contain a game or app you loved or not and being worth of notice for it, or if you go for a weighted average;
- clones and trainers: hard to say, they may contain a great hackers'intro, they may be the same, they may be badly hacked and so on; my opinion is: no vote for them, otherwise they automatically get the vote from the original program, despite they're intro-ed, ruined or whatever.

The latter case takes to us another question: having a program called "X", how to manage the eventual "X 1551 Version", "X NTSC Version", "X Trained", "X Edited and so on? Some are included in the same "X" page, some others have their own page and they're linked to the original one.
First, let me say that me and Csabo at first had included how much stuff possible, and only now we're facing this question, that's the reason because of several inconsistencies along the site about this.
I saw Csabo including NTSC versions apart of the original PAL ones, and I mimed him, probably he did this in order to have a most responsive SEARCH (PAL/NTSC is a flagged voice here), if this will be confirmed I will create a Rug Rider PAL page, for example.
Regarding all the rest, everything is still a habit.

Posted By

Luca
on 2009-08-18
13:09:24

Free add-on wink

Remember to: add data, add game ending's type, vote, report mistakes.
We are currently fixing and adjusting game types too...

Posted By

Luca
on 2009-08-18
14:58:45

And what about the three versions of Storm +4? One page or three?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-08-20
07:53:02

The individual post edit links problem is now fixed.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-08-20
09:00:21

When I'm not logged in and read in the forum I see [edit] behind some topics. For instance in the AROK thread I get the [edit] button in Pepax' postings and in Krona's (not in Chronos').
Though, when I click it, I get "Sorry, but you are not authorized to use this feature.". So it's nothing to really worry about.

Is this behaviour caused by some caching? I'm not sure but I think yesterday (before you fixed the edit-issue) this didn't happen.

Edit:
In this very thread I get the [edit] button in MikeZee's posting when I'm not logged in.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-08-20
09:46:21

Good catch! That was a different issue. Since you're not logged in, your "member id" is zero, and those two posts by Mikezee were posted while he was not logged in, so their member id was also zero. Zero equals zero, so you should be able to edit happy It's fixed now, and I've also connected those two posts to his member record.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2009-08-24
14:13:09

just a small "thankyou" for the login box on the right

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-08-24
14:54:55

Chronos...
I had to bribe Csabo with half of my Italian lottery jackpot to implement the login :P

No, I didn't win it... Anybody seen Luca lately? wink

PS
And yes, thumbs up for Csabo who's been adding lots of stuff "underneath the hood" recently.

Posted By

Luca
on 2009-08-24
19:54:28

If I was the lottery winner, now on these pages you would read the invitation for the largest Plus/4 party ever, held in Firenze and with no need to pay for hotels food and beer for all of us happy
Nonetheless, the winner lives in a little town very close to Firenze...

Posted By

Cheekyboy
on 2009-08-26
14:42:29
 Work methods is doubtful!

Where's the Login? Csabo to the rescue happy

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-08-26
15:30:59

Honestly, I can't login anymore. When I click on "Login" I get to the login page but underneath the "Please log in" there's just the upper border of the box for the username etc. Nothing else... How did you guys login recently?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-08-26
16:06:27

He was romolva, but quickly repaired, now go to normally.

Posted By

TLC
on 2009-09-10
13:57:14

Lando's infopage seems to miss some pictures (related to Back In Time 3, at the bottom of the page)... maybe a result of some re-organization of the file structure of the site.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-09-10
16:28:12

Right, I did move those folders. The links are now fixed, thanks!

I remember trying to use a few free tools that claim to crawl your site and tell you all the 404s they find, but they didn't work. We have too many links to follow I guess... I created a sitemap a whileback to be submitted to Google, I think there's around 7000+ pages in it.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2009-10-08
15:51:33

This post's link appears to be broken, seems like a rendering bug as the link looks ok to me...

http://plus4world.powweb.com/forum/6865/-/duddle

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-10-08
16:37:18

The 3rd parameter after "forum" is the text to highlight. The code just highlighted all matches of that text, regardless of HTML tags (so if a match was inside an HTML tag, the syntax broke). I fixed it, now it ignores matches that occur inside tags. Thanks for pointing it out happy

Posted By

Chronos
on 2009-10-17
08:43:22

Csabo:

hun: jók az új hirek, látom próbálod szinesebbé tenni.. meg ezek az apró grafikai csinosítások is teccenek! grat!

eng: i like the news, youre trying to make it more colorful.. and i also like these tiny gfx fixes on the page's skin! congrats!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-10-17
11:20:06

Thanks happy

There's also a new feature: you can track other members live, if you add them to your friend list. Go to anyone's detail page and there should be an "add member" or "remove member" link. Whoever is on your friend list will be shown at the top in a separate bar, with a [PM] link to send personal messages, and a timer, which shows when they were last on. This updates live via AJAX, so you can "see" when someone comes online.

Posted By

SVS
on 2009-10-17
13:58:01

I've always appreciated the 'friends list', it's a pity that it only applies to "light blue" theme!

Hey... I've just discovered that this input message box has a grammar-check service!! Is it a hidden feature? happy wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-10-17
15:46:35

It's now in the default skin too, plus you get to edit the list yourself. The spell checker is a feature of the browser I believe.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2009-10-18
10:12:20

this "who is online" feature roxx!

Posted By

Andras78
on 2009-10-19
01:19:08

nice new buttons happy really wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-10-25
20:00:28

It looks like backslashes caused problems in PMs and in other editable fields, this should be fixed.

Also, I've completed another big move on the FTP side: all covers have been moved into the "/dl" subfolder. This is where all assets will be kept, hopefully making it easier to contribute, and it's better for organization anyway. This should be transparent to visitors, my point is: please keep an eye out for any broken cover or cover thumbnail links.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-10-25
20:20:00

I noticed this yesterday... The in-game screenshots for Winter Events are missing.

Posted By

Luca
on 2009-10-25
20:30:35

Winter Events shots fixed.

Posted By

Luca
on 2009-10-29
21:17:06

Uh, screenshot magnification fails!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-10-31
15:39:57

Today I did extensive (and long overdue) code and query cleanup. Most significant changes were done to the Private Messages and the Members table. Let me know if you see anything odd.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2009-11-03
02:26:17

The member and group pages display type fields that show only some numbers. Is this the intent?

Posted By

Luca
on 2009-11-03
03:31:03

As Lando pointed out, Power Ball and XCellor8 must be fixed. If nobody, I'll check'em once at home, using this post as a note happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-11-03
14:13:00

Those should be fixed, thanks guys! Let me know if you see anything else.

Posted By

Luca
on 2009-11-07
06:08:15

Hey! The PM system works no more! :O

Posted By

Luca
on 2009-11-08
11:14:13

The PM system works, but can't be accessed from any user's profile because the link "send a PM to" has vanished!

Fizikai Mérések: no TAP to download.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-11-10
23:45:09

I've been clearing up more queries and some of the code, so things are slowly getting better. One thing that I wanted to do for a long time was caching data into static files. I've now done it for the members table. Generally member data (such as handles etc) changes very rarely. I rewrote the forum pages to use cached data instead of going to the db. Maybe it's just that it's very late and there's no traffic, but to me the pages seem a lot faster.

I'm too lazy to look at the logs, so I'll just ask: besides the forum, are there any pages you guys particularly like to visit (and find slow)?

Edit: I applied the same thing to the Tools and Remakes pages, both got sped up. Yay!

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-11-12
16:01:51

What happened to that handy "friends list/bar"?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-11-14
23:56:54

They are now back, using the Members table (no SQL joins, yay!). Hopefully we won't kill the db.

I've optimized some of the HTML output. Things should still render the same way but save a lot on page size. The solutions page went from 300K to 180K for example. Let me know if something looks odd!

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-01-02
06:32:08

Matrix (256b) should fit into 1K Demos charts, atm it's into 16K instead...

Posted By

Check​ermann
on 2011-09-19
12:57:37

Hello admins!

The site is the BEST! Nice pages, good news,
but my problem is here (can u fix it?):

http://plus4world.powweb.com/sl.php?ptid=200

When i want to short these by name then it's gone to game category.

Big thx

Ps: maybe the comments of users in the program section is a good idea.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2011-09-30
14:18:35

Hey there,

Sorry for the long delay. This is now fixed, you can sort the results and the filter will not be lost. Thanks for pointing it out!

Comments on the product details page... I really don't want to do that. It would end up like Pouet or CSDb. They list some really good products (demos, images, etc.) and the user comments end up being flamewars or discussions about other completely irrelevant topics. To me, that "cheapens" the production. I guess we're a different kind of site: we're more "archive" and less "current scene". This reflects the reality quite well: there are very few new products for the Plus/4, orders of magnitude less than on the PC or C64 scene.

Otherwise, if you have more ideas/comments (especially usability) about Plus/4 World, let us know!

Posted By

Degauss
on 2011-09-30
17:07:48

You asked for it:

A great and convenient addition to the "home"-page would be a shortened list of the most recent forum-activity.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2011-09-30
20:38:17

That's an interesting suggestion. I did have similar ideas, but probably more like having a combined RSS feed (that has news, forum and updates all in one).

Where exactly would you put it? Do you start from the homepage? Not that I have any metrics on this, but I kinda guessed that most people actually just bookmark the forum happy

Posted By

Degauss
on 2011-10-02
18:36:20

I can't really tell what the first page i visit is, home or forum. In either case i flip to the other one.

A combined RSS-feedish view sounds nice but when i wrote my post i was just thinking about a shortened list of the latest forum-entries above (or below) the top-news-item on the home-page. I think 3 to 5 entries would do, just to be able to see if it "pays" to look into the forum aswell.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024