Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2005-10-10
18:38:00
 Best Game of Time

Hallo all

Please post your faforite Game for the Commodore 264 !
My top 3 for C16 and Plus/4 are :

1: Berks 3 CRL
2: Prospector Pete Mastertronic
3: Ghosttown Kingsoft / Anirog

Posted By

Sidius
on 2005-10-11
01:24:49
 Re: Best Game of Time

Ok, here are my three favorites - from the good old days where I have still played exessiv... wink

1. Shaolin (...with it I and a friend had most fun !)
2. Big Mac and Mr. Puniverse (are to be considered by the principle as same)
3. Kikstart

Today I would select a little bit other titles, but at that time I could not afford so many original games and there were very good from MASTERTRONIC for the price.... wink

Posted By

SVS
on 2005-10-11
04:06:33

I kindly remember you that there is the toplist for this.

Posted By

Sidius
on 2005-10-11
06:39:44

Yes certainly (==>> Top List), but I think which C16 Chris wanted to have a little bit personal listing... happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-10-11
09:16:19

While Big Mac and Mr. Puniverse are cool, they are not even on the Top 100. You say it's the second best game of all time? Did you never played ANY of the current Top 100? Or just think that every single one of those suck? (And remember, the Top List is made of 43 people's votes wink)

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2005-10-11
09:29:21

Sidius is right when he think I want a personal top 3 from all Users of Commodore 264er Computers.
I have seen the Top 50 lists bevor I have postet my Question but I have a lot of the Top 50 Games but there are not my faforites.

Posted By

Chris
on 2005-10-11
10:42:39

oooh mine would be:

1. Xzap (So original)
2. Out on a Limb (Love this happy game)
3. Supremacy (Fantastic conversion)

Chris happy

Posted By

Sidius
on 2005-10-11
11:36:39

@Csabo: Naturally I know the most of the TOP 100 and there really brilliant plays are present !
But because it should be personal favorites, I have selected the games, with those I connect the nicest recollections (from my childhood).
I had written this, however, also already thus... wink

Posted By

Patrick
on 2005-10-11
12:52:58

nice to see the top 3 of all u guys, but i hope u will play them on the real machine!!!

my top 3:

1. jack attack
2. ikari warriors
3. moon buggy

Posted By

MIK
on 2005-10-11
17:30:20

Big Mac and Mr. Puniverse are 40 & 41 in the Commercial Games Only list.

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2005-10-11
17:40:44

And what are your top 3 Lando ?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-10-11
20:35:53

No doubt Tom Thumb is still number one, but our good old friend has expressed his opinions quite a few times on this (and similar) subjects over the years: [ 2000 ], [ 2002 ], [ 2004 ], [ 2005 ].

Posted By

MIK
on 2005-10-12
06:44:32

I can't limit it to 3 games. There are tooooo many good games that I would feel guilty for not picking others that are just as worthy. wink

Nice finds Csabo. happy

I have alot of respect for Tom Thumb because its such as beautiful game, not only to play but how it was put together. However its not a desert island game as it wouldn't last for ever...

Posted By

Spector
on 2005-10-12
13:29:17

The top list has 64K games in all the main places, and that can't be right. The C16/Plus4 genre was mainly about 16K games. It's almost as if being 64K makes a game better than 16K. I mentioned this before and I just don't believe it! Head Over Heels and Elite are there, but they are just ports of games we already know, and there are better versions of them. Tom Thumb seems to be the real killer of the C16 library - everyone likes it.
I'm glad Chris mentioned Xzap. It is a very original shooter, not a work of genius, but because there's nothing else like it, you keep coming back.

Posted By

MIK
on 2005-10-12
17:43:15

Spector, thats why I headed to the Top 100 Commercial Games list...

If people are talking about golden oldies then thats the list they should be looking at. wink

Although in my own view the top 100 Commercial Games have all gone to pot...... Some are in their respectful place or where you expect them to be placed while many others are not. But thats how people have voted.....

Terra Nova above Fingers Malone is one example.............................................???? I dont think so.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-10-12
19:04:36

You haven't even voted for Terra Nova, so don't complain wink I think Fingers Malone suffers in gameplay because it's too difficult. But all that aside...

It's like if we were talking about - let's say - movies or cars or whatever... You will like some old ones because they are dear to you. But I suppose the whole point of the Top List would be this: if someone came around who NEVER saw any Plus/4 games, and wanted to play with a few good ones, they could use choose from the Top List and would not be disappointed. Right?

One more thing: the sort of feeling I'm getting from the attitutes in this thread does not want to make me develop games. There's still some amazing stuff that COULD be done, but if all we play is games like Xzap... Sorry, I didn't know that title back then, and looking at it now... Well, I'll just keep my opinion to myself on that one.

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2005-10-12
20:26:36

Was I in the wrong Movie ?

Mv Idear was every body post his Top 3 Games and all can see what the users like to play (I think thats was interesting for somebody) and we can talk about the games !

And now we talk about the toplist but I want talk about the personal faforite Games !

Sorry my english was bad and I hope you know what I mean

Posted By

MIK
on 2005-10-12
21:09:00

lmao! Terra Nova has jumped from 31 to 52 and I have yet to vote.......

Ok I gave it a 6.
10/10 for music, but as for the game........

Its now in 60th place. Still some better games below it!

Xzap is one of those games that you had to be there at the time to of respect what it did to those who like it. I dont share that view but understand why people like it. Its one of those first ever games for your system just how I and many others had Fire Ant, Icicle Works or Treasure Island ect... That xmas ment alot what ever you had with your new machine. happy

As for patrick1730 and ikari warriors, that has to be some magical moment to of fell in love with this version of ikari warriors! No seriouslly, I had the pleasure of playing the C64 version knowing how good the C16 version should of been. There are 3 other commercial war shooters on our system which are much better, but to say ikari warriors over these 3 must mean a magical time was spent with it back in the day. I want to laugh, but can't because going this far back almost make you want to cry!! Young, with no worrys at all. It was a good time that I would love to go back too. happy

Posted By

Patrick
on 2005-10-13
07:34:09

i like to vote, but how can i do that? can i do it here on the site or do i have to send a list to someone??

Posted By

SVS
on 2005-10-13
08:08:00
 Re: Best Game of Time (@Patrick)

just enter into Toplist section, then click "Votes needed" and go!
(In any toplist table, a program with a "*" means that you don't have voted for it yet)

Remember to vote for Utilities too!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-10-13
09:15:23

Voting on the Top List is actually reserved to registered members.

Posted By

Degauss
on 2005-10-13
14:42:16

I think it's nice to see what people used/liked to play. The Games i liked most were:

1. Kickstart
2. Laser Squad
3. Treasure Island
4. Saboteur
5. Tutti Frutti

Posted By

Spector
on 2005-10-13
16:39:26

I've just looked at the top 100 commercial games list that Lando mentioned, and it's much better. Okay, so BMX Racers should be much higher on the list, but you can't have everything... happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-10-13
20:38:29

You just clicked it? Five months ago I told you about that option in this thread. Meh.

Posted By

Spector
on 2005-10-14
15:43:42

He's right, you know. happy
Actually I did look at that back then, but I forgot about it, and then I saw this thread. My itchy finger clicked on Sidius' link and I thought "scandalous!". Then I realised about the other list after Lando pointed it out. What a terrible memory I have. The reason why things like that... wait a minute...what was the question again? happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2005-10-14
18:25:18

Not really on-topic but here it goes anyway: an old dream of mine is to "spice up" the old C16 classics for 64 kb memory, adding back all the original features (sound, music, title screen, hires, extra levels etc.) that had been dropped back then due to the very limited memory but still can be find in other ports of the game (C64, Spectrum whatever). A classic example could be Finders Keepers, but Manic Miner also comes to mind.

Anyone bears the challenge? happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2005-10-15
02:59:14

I would keep away from Manic Miner or anything that has found its way onto a mobi phone over the last couple of years!! That would mean some of the old classix are entering the danger zone as these mobi phone companys have more money than we care to imagine! wink

Posted By

Degauss
on 2005-10-15
15:03:13

@Gaia: Beefing up old games sounds like a very geek-ish idea to me (that means: i think it's cool). But i wonder if this is possible. I always had respect for TCFS way of doing things: coding (well known) games completely from scratch. the problem surely is that this method is prone to "loose" some of the original game's spirit (game logic? controls? playability?).

Posted By

Gaia
on 2005-10-15
16:20:45

Well I thought it should happen with outmost care and respect... it should preserve the playability and main aspects of the original... think of Manic Miner where the C64 version has very bad playability (C16 version is much better) but does have a "stanard" title screen with the obligatory music happy So we could take over those plus add the levels left out and there we go with a truthful plus/4 version. Or think of Finders Keepers where 2 additional endings are possible in the C64 version.

A very good example could be the +4 and C16 versions of Saboteur... or ACE for that matter. Those are "real life" examples (references?). Also TCFS went a very good way rewriting most of the stuff and taking only graphics over, but my method would keep the heart'n'soul of the C16 originals.

Posted By

Dan Wood
on 2005-10-15
20:39:53

1. Treasure Island
2. Bridgehead
3. Icicle Works

Posted By

Degauss
on 2005-10-15
22:53:12

I think, now i got your point. This'd be by far a not soooooooo hard task to put title screens, music and other "additional stuff" into those games. But - well - it's still challenging wink

Posted By

Spector
on 2005-10-16
05:14:44

I thought Manic Miner had all the levels on the C16 version. I played through it and everything was there. They cut down the size of the program by removing some of the sprites and using rotating triangular shapes. The style and character of MM C16 was less, but the raw playability was there.
I don't think there would be much point in doing an expanded Manic Miner. It would basically be a copy of the Spectrum version, and nothing's gonna beat that because it's the source. I'd rather see programming in reverse - reduction rather than expansion. Trimming a game idea down to it's base elements, reducing 48/64K down to 16K is something I find really impressive when done well. That's probably not going to happen though, because most people seem to be writing for the plus4 now, not the Commodore 16, and that's fair enough.

Posted By

TLC
on 2005-10-16
14:29:32

Mercenary, Icicle Works and Mr. Puniverse... I like a few others, but these come to my mind first... happy Shaun Southern's games (Tutti Frutti, Olympic Skier and so on), Udo Gertz's games (Winter/Summer Events, Bongo, Tom Thumb, Ghost Town) , ...well I should stop listing them, because it's getting a little long wink . All worth a look and a try IMHO.

Posted By

michael
on 2005-10-17
03:08:10

My best three are:
1. Tom 16
2. Berks 3
3. Nibbly

Posted By

MMS
on 2005-10-17
17:55:12

Hi,
Some people will not like me, but:
1) Laser Squad (nice intro music from Shadow of the Beast)
2) Bard's Tale (PIGMY)
3) Elite (PIGMY)
4) Head Over Heels (MB)
5) Revs (PIGMY)
6) Barbarian (MB)
5) And finally a C=16 game: Tutti Frutti

and several others....

Posted By

Andy Oakley
on 2005-10-19
12:01:23

My top games are

Kickstart
Winter Games
Exorcist
Fireant
Video Meanies (first game bought and cleared so I'll put it in just for nostagic reasons)

Even playing these after a 20 year gap, they're still as addictive as they ever were.

Posted By

Doug
on 2005-10-21
17:19:16

> I think Fingers Malone suffers in gameplay because it's too difficult.

Aww c'mon Csabo what's up with you? It's easy! wink

Doug

Posted By

funkydude
on 2005-10-21
19:27:26

Saboteur
Mercenary
Ace

happy

Posted By

Lavina
on 2005-10-24
05:10:18

Laser Squad, Elite, Mercenary.

Posted By

Litwr
on 2005-10-24
05:15:49

What are the games which somebody played this year?

Posted By

siz
on 2005-10-24
07:37:42

I played Exorcist and Double Blocks ('cause it's mine. happy )

Posted By

Ati
on 2005-10-24
10:26:07

Bard's tale 3, Revs, Doomdark's revenge

Posted By

Ati
on 2005-10-24
10:29:21

I played Richard Burns rally and World of warcraft in this year. happy

Posted By

TLC
on 2005-10-24
18:06:09

Hmmm... Video Meanies, Tutti Frutti, Olympic Skier, Berks 3 and a few other classics...

Posted By

Litwr
on 2005-10-26
04:11:13

I could only kill some Xargons wink but I think that Exorcist and Tutti Frutti is still looks good.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024