Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Spector
on 2005-05-28
08:28:11
 Top list opinions

I've been looking at the top 100 list of C16/Plus4 games on this site, and I don't like what I see! It doesn't make much sense to me at all. When we consider that the vast majority of games on these machines were 16K, I find it odd that just 2 games for the C16 make it into the top 30. That makes me wonder what this top 50 list is really about. Is it a top 50 of gaming, or of technical achievement?

If you go further down the list into the 50-100 section, you find games like Exploding Fist +4 and Commando (the 32K version). These games look great and hint at what the plus 4 would have done had it been as popular as the C64, but as games, there is no chance in hell that they should be there. Exploding Fist just does not play properly at all. In fact it's a semi-demo - the playability has come second to visuals. And Commando is deeply flawed. Once again, it looks fantastic, but the actual game is an afterthought. There are so many holes in the gameplay I wouldn't know where to start. Yet it is above Pacmania, a superb (and fiendishly difficult) PacMan clone, one of the best variants I've seen on an 8-bit machine. And also, a fine little game like BMX Racers doesn't get a look in, despite having more gameplay in it's little finger than the two games I've mentioned.

I feel that many 64K games are in the chart because they are simply plus 4 games that do impressive things technically. I don't believe that bigger memory means better games, and that's why I think it's questionable to have almost exclusively 64K games near the top. Of course there were good games made in this format, but to have them dominate the chart so comprehensively when they were in fact a minority of actual product seems so wrong.

The C16 is interesting because it's split between the Vic 20 era and the C64 - and this resulted in games like Timeslip which suited the format perfectly, giving the machine it's own style. I don't think the chart reflects this when it's top positions are held by games that are copies of Commodore 64 classics.

So there you have it boys and girls, that's my stance - now give me your furious response!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-05-28
12:26:53
 Re: Top list opinions

Meh. Click "Commercial Games Only" - that will take out all the conversions and scene-produced games.

Would you like to get registered as a member so you can vote?

Posted By

Spector
on 2005-05-29
03:16:42

I should get registered, but I dont know enough about these games to review them properly. A lot of the games I know aren't there, but registering is worth thinking about, yeah I'd like to do that. With the "commercial games only" option, a lot of these games are filtered out, but still the bias is plus 4. I can't really say that it's unfair because as I said I haven't played them enough, but some of the games that I mentioned in the previous post certainly do not deserve the scores they get.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-05-29
08:56:54

Send me an email with all your info, I'll set it up.

It's always a good topic to discuss how cool and enjoyable a particular game is. We can all appreciate them to some point. It's usually a pointless topic to discuss if a particular game is better that another one, that's just personal preference. In the end there isn't really any other way to rank them. But this is of course just my personal opinion happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2005-10-17
17:22:23

Hi,
In fact I am a little surprised by the topic, as SO many great games converted, YES, converted to PLUS/4 by some fantastic people. What is your problem with those world famous games?
Keeping in charge only the commercial games would just eliminate my last 2-3 favourite years I REALLY liked to play with my extended C=16, it was mainly PIGMY's, TCFS's an Muffbuster's result. These conversion gave me the feeling, that this computer is able to give the gameplay I need, and sometimes only C=64 seems to able to provide at that time (and of course Amiga, but it was a different price category). These guys gave back the hope, that this unfortune computer still have some years of fun, not dying without new releases. (instead of sudden death due to "no new SW", it became more a phase out, like in case of C=64)
These were the Barbarian or Battery2(as nice action), the nice 3D as Driller or those several adventures PIGMY converted (like Tass Times or Bard's Tale3) or the round base game like Laser Squad. Theses are all GREATEST 8-bit games of all the time (even on more lucky computers, like Spektrum or C=64), so to why be furious with them?
I know, that they are not "original" +4 games (like Tutti-Frutti), but in my mind these games give the shine to the polished and well kept memory of my favourite black C=16 home computer (surely with 64K RAM happy) )

Sorry for the late reaction, I just joined the team. Up the Plussy!

Bye: MMS

Posted By

MMS
on 2005-10-17
17:32:24

Hi,
In fact I made a mistake: TCFS did not convert, but wrote his games himself. RESPECT!
But these one look like coverted ones, or even better happy)

Sorry chief!
Bye: MMS

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024