Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Spector
on 2005-08-19
02:55:57
 Successful conversions

The C16 was guilty of receiving a lot of poor quality cut-down versions of C64/Spectrum games, like for instance Fist, Beach Head and Daley Thompsons Decathlon (AKA Star Events). But can you name some of the best conversions? I thought some of the Mastertronic games worked well on C16, but as far as full price games go, I can't think of many.
Help me with some suggestions, true believers happy

Posted By

Rachy
on 2005-08-19
04:06:33
 Re: Successful conversions

I believe the conversions by the "bedroom coders" were actually a lot better than the official ones, although illegal. For example I liked very much the conversions by Pigmy. His Bard's Tale versions are even better than the original C64 versions. (A lot faster on loading at least.)

Posted By

MIK
on 2005-08-19
07:39:21

Without touching Mastertronic or Plus/4 Only as I used too call it (aka 64k) games then here are some maybe's.

Top of the list would be Tom Thumb wink

Bongo , Fire Ant , Bounder , Trailblazer , Cave Fighter , Thrust , Zolyx , Voidrunner , Manic Miner , Football Manager , BMX Simulator , Out On A Limb

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2005-08-19
08:36:58

Trailblazer was no conversion wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-08-19
08:39:17

Good choices. Video Meanies is another one, but somewhat of an exception. The original C=64 version (in my opinion) is not as playable as the C=16 one. For some reason it turned out better, it's a cool little game. In fact it was converted back to the C=64 happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2005-08-20
07:12:42

Ulysses777,
I know. A little tease to see if anyone would notice. happy

Csabo,
I would go as far as saying aswell that Big Mac , BMX Racers and KikStart turned out better than the originals.

ACE was originally created for the C16, so that makes Ace +4 one hell of a conversion does it not.
Ok.... Ace +4 was some what inspired by, but what came first? The C64 or Plus/4 version? This is not a trick question because I dont honestly know. wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2005-08-20
07:18:22

and I also forgot to say that alot of the early Anirog stuff came from our sister machine.

Posted By

nukem
on 2005-08-20
07:59:20

Elite +4 and Barbarian - also nice gamez!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-08-20
09:54:14

Ooh, glorifying games, my favourite kind of topic.

About KikStart... I haven't played with the C=64 version that much, but didn't it have an option for the bike to "tilt"? Maybe I remember wrong. It's an awesome game on the C=16 though, and I'm saying that as a programmer, I've looked into the code. Well done. That goes for all SOUT games though.

Anywho, Elite (at least some versions of it) is a perfect copy of the C=64 game, and the game itself is a legendary wonder, so yeah, that conversion is great. Barbarian on the other hand... At the end you get to fight the wizard, and save your lady, but neither one of the Plus/4 versions have that in it. (IIRC, they actually just crash.) So while it looks nice and it's definitely in the top fighter games, it's not a very good conversion.

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2005-08-20
11:03:47

I think the C64 and Plus4 versions of ACE came out around the same time.

As for other games, there's of course Mercenary, which actually runs a bit faster than the C64 version happy And there's Treasure Island, which has better sprites IMO.

As for C16 games, other than what's been already mentioned, Molecule Man is a good conversion, much quicker than the C64 or Spectrum versions. Terra Cognita is also worthy of a mention, too happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024