Distribution:Commercial/TA
Daley Thompson's Star Events Screenshot

Posted By

George
on 2023-10-29
16:17:31
 Re: Daley Thompson's Star Events

Hi all!

I made a new comparison video below for the interested.
Chariots of Fire -Vangelis tunes from the games "Hypersport" (C64) and "Daley Thomsons Star Event" (Plus/4).
Both tunes were implemented by Martin Galway in 1984-85. How will the TED hold up against the superior SID Chip?
Video: https://youtu.be/b_iwG81e0C0

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-10-28
17:11:52

Nice video! Small typo at 1:30 ("Quarewave" happy) I hope you don't get a copyright strike for this one. Even though this is obviously a legit use of the music (academic discussion); you never know what YouTube (or the copyright trolls) will do. The reason I mention this is because the first ever copyright strike I remember seeing on YouTube was for a very old Plus/4 game video that featured this game (and the audio was muted with a copyright message).

Posted By

George
on 2023-10-28
17:30:04

Thanks for the hint. Maybe i will take it down again, so thats the reason why i want to give opportunity to share it with the community.

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-10-29
09:44:09

When I was a kid, I listened a lot to this game's music. I did not play with it, my joystick was simply too weak for that game, so I loaded it and listened to the music happy This tune was fantastic; at that time I did not know who is Vangelis. This tune outshines most of C16 games I owned at that time. (in fact, very few had any real music, just some sound effects, yeah 16K RAM)

I think the C16 version keeps up really well to the C64 version. Would have been nice if more music could use this great player.

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-10-30
22:28:17

My old video of this game was hit with the copyright notice..., it was at the time the only video I had made that was forced to have advertising. A few years later the advertising was removed when YouTube started to recognise video games were a completely different thing compared to TV, Movies and Commercial Music.

So yeah YouTube's AI now correctly see's it as a video game. If you check the Hall of Fame on the games page you can find a link to my video. Click on the video description and your see added info by YouTube of what they regard it as.
Note, since Google's take over of YouTube any video can have forced advertising like it or not. It's not only used to cover copyright infringements that YouTube might receive but also to make money, including automatically covering the cost of your content being on Youtube.

So while your fine to upload C16/Plus4 related footage and audio, you might be breaking copyright using other people's photos linked to the movies, books ect.. I would remake the video without these copyright photos. Showing the game cover artwork is fine though.

And remember this... All copyright to the game belongs to Ocean Software who I don't believe obtained permission to use the music as there is no mention on the tape or cover crediting the music's owners and this was the reason why I never took my video down! grin

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-10-30
19:11:02

@MIK Well said! Though I think it was the composer who used the title without allowance, maybe even at Ocean noone knew who was Vangelis happy But I do not think they did anything wrong. It was the 80s, completely different times, a young guy heard something in the dradio and made a nice tune on the C64... Nothing wrong with that.

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-10-30
22:29:53

Indeed! A tune was a tune borrowed or not back in the day. happy

Ocean knew what they were doing when they released Giana Sisters though. grin

Posted By

Luca
on 2023-10-31
03:05:48

Oh well, I clearly showed my love for this game (or, better this way: this two different games in one!) when I did my Daley Thompson's Star Events +2FG! crack, proud of the special tape version which loads both parts with trainers in one single file.

It has been a shock when I read that the legendary Martin Galway was the author of the fantastic music in the game, letting me think that he also could have been the coder of the custom player behind it, a smart piece of code, if measured with that days' other competitors. Unfortunately, Ocean didn't see any notable market for the C16, and this is the one and only game signed by Ocean, who knows which other potentially cool releases could have been released under their logo, maybe with far more advanced tunes by the same Galway!*sniff*

Posted By

George
on 2023-10-31
07:47:27

Luca I had the same thought. What would have been, when Galway had made more C16/Plus4 game music like in this one. Fortunatly he did Rambo and Yie ar Kungfu on the c64, which were not only the first two games i have ever seen and played on a homecomputer in the 80's but they are also my favorite games.

I think the C16 version for its time is a pure masterpiece. Are there any comparable tunes like this in any other c16games from that time? I can't think of any in that quality..

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-11-03
03:21:31

Commercial games that sound slightly different from many others of that time also include Treasure Island and 3 of the Codemasters releases being, G-man, Danger Zone and Terra Cognita.

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-11-02
18:43:35

For me Treasure Island and Icicle Works came into picture, when I try to find similar high quality music, that is not converted from C64 (OK, Treasure Island is a question, but really well made).

Danger Zone with Whittaker's effect could come high on my list, but this is not music, just nice effects.

Oprokom gets very close, it is in BASIC from 1987, but has some nice effects, like vibrato.

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-11-03
03:46:08

Danger Zone, more of a jingle. Its the type of thing some PC i18 CPU that's powered by Beer would love to have as a jingle. grin

A few more well known tunes on C16/Plus4, Bongo version of Axel F, Winter Events has Dallas TV show in the middle. Olympic Skier, BBC Ski Sunday, Kikstart from the BBC TV show, Who Dares Wins II the Great Escape Movie.
And couple of others, Hustler, Cave Fighter, Leaper.

I would go as far in saying Terra Nova is the Star Trek TV theme in disguise. wink

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024