Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Doug
on 2022-07-14
12:06:24
 Doug Turner

I am very sorry to inform you that Doug Turner has recently passed away. I know that my dad was active on this forum, so felt that it was right to inform you.
Also, if anyone who worked with him in making any of his games is on here, we would be interested in borrowing the music from one of his games to play at his funeral, as it was one of his passions. (I am afraid none of us really have any experience with any of this, so please forgive any lack of knowledge on our part).
Once again, I am very sorry to have to bring you this sad news.

- Eddie Turner

Posted By

5tarbuck
on 2022-07-14
12:35:06
 Re: Doug Turner

It makes me very sad to read this and I am so sorry for your loss.

I think all of us here were happy when he was more active again two or three years ago and programmed a new game. And now such a painful news...

From the bottom of my heart, i wish you strength in this difficult time.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2022-07-14
12:51:42

Rest in peace, Doug! You're a terrible loss for our little scene..

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-07-14
12:56:43

Terrible news, I'm so sorry to hear that. Very sad day for the Plus/4 community. Thank you for letting us know.

Eddie, Doug was an awesome developer, I would describe his games as beloved. (Can't count the number of times I've heard folks talk about playing Icicle Works "back in the day".) The fact that he returned to development and gifted us The Pit two years ago was a source of great delight to many Plus/4 fans.

(About the music: you can play all the games right here on the site in your browser. Please drop me a line - I know, who uses email in 2022 - at plus4 (at) rogers (dot) com if you need any help with recording, I'll be more than happy to help.)

Posted By

Mad
on 2022-07-14
14:41:39

Oh my.. I never ever thought to get in contact with the programmer of Icicle Works. Talking to Doug within the last few years was some sort of extreme pleasure, I didn't know that people of his statue are so grounded and kindhearted people. I remember his kind words in almost every topic we discussed here. I didn't expect that, and besides being one from the good side he also got in touch with the latest tech and knew all of his stuff to an extent most people nowadays cannot challenge with. As said, I was 13/14 or below when playing Icicle Works and he really put a mark with his games on me in the golden era of home computers.. Hope he's well up there now.. I can't believe he left so soon.. My condolences and hope you and the other members of yours and Dougs family can handle this loss.. He was one of the kindest people I talked to in the tech sphere.. Thanks a lot Doug and farewell..

Posted By

Verona
on 2022-07-14
14:56:55

I'm sorry to hear this. But at least, he have a wonderful legacy here on Plus4, as in life, too. My condolences. Rest in peace, Doug.

Posted By

George
on 2022-07-14
15:41:41

My deepest sorry to you and your family. "Prospector Pete" was one of the best games of him for our platform. I loved this game. Thank you for informing us!

Posted By

Gaia
on 2022-07-14
16:20:26

This is a horrible loss. We'll all keep fond memories of Doug and his wonderful games. R.I.P. sad

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-07-14
18:06:45

What the... How did it happen? Is this for real?

Doug has spread passion and love for the retrogaming scene. He's been at first amazed of the memories of all the people whose played and still playing his games, and after that he pushed himself in order to achieve a great comeback... And he did it!

Composing the music and the sfx for The Pit has been such a honor to me, and he was always so joyful and propositive when we did get a step further in the making, his passion was contagious and always moved me to improve. No obstacle could stop him when he was aiming to a precise goal: the same replay bug in the Knaecketraecker's files which forced, e. g., Pets Rescue to load the music anew every time, has been brilliantly fixed by him with an improved player. The player I reused in 2048 Octaluxe to avoid the infamous bug, in fact. And now, that code remains to me like a precious inheritance which allows me to collect a personal memory from him, right now when he's no more among us.

This is a painful loss which hits me straight in the heart. This hurts.

Posted By

Ati
on 2022-07-14
23:03:19

OMG! sad I never forget you and your Icicle Works.

Posted By

Ramok​romok
on 2022-07-15
04:19:47

My parents and myself played so much Icicle Works when we first got our plus/4 so it has such a special place in my heart.

Rest in Peace, Doug.

Posted By

Doug
on 2022-07-15
07:54:59

Thank you all for your kind words, it means a lot to all of us to hear them. Also, thank you for your advice Csabo- it really helped!
I'm glad his work was and is so beloved by all of you, and that you inspired him to make the Pit a couple of years ago- it truly was a passion project of his.

- Eddie

Posted By

Hendriks
on 2022-07-15
10:12:29

Icicle works is the one game that defined my childhood. It came with the Plus/4 in a package. I can still hear the music in my head. Lots of nostalgia.

RIP Doug Turner and thank you for a good time!

Posted By

Lavina
on 2022-07-15
18:14:49

sad I have no words

Posted By

Litwr
on 2022-07-16
01:12:38

sad

Posted By

SVS
on 2022-07-16
03:52:32

I'm very sorry.

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-07-20
13:03:42

What the...

No way!!! Sorry for the late reply as I have been under the weather my self.
I'm very sorry and totally gutted to hear Doug Turner has past away! My eyes started to glaze over with sadness just reading all these posts... Can't believe what I'm reading. sad

Doug was a Legend to many a Plus/4 user back in the day thanks to his awesome Icicle Works on Commodore Plus/4. In the UK, if you were lucky enough to get a Plus/4 that Christmas back in 1985 with the 11 bundled games from Commodore it was Icicle Works that you spoke about on the school playground as the best game! grin Icicle Works was a solid and highly polished gem that would become fondly remembered not only for it's Xmas theme but because it was so slick and fun to play. And the guy that composed the music did an amazing job, the Square Wave tone fitted the game perfectly. happy

Everything Doug did on C16/Plus4 was professional, of exceptional quality and also came as a stiff challenge but a challenge that would always keep you coming back for more! I think Doug was a master of this with all his games. Fingers Malone was one of his more challenging titles regarding the difficulty level and even if most of us never completed it I loved it and loaded it more times than I can remember hoping to get a little further each time! Fingers Malone under all the eye candy, (superb graphics) was a very unique take on the classic game Pac Man believe it or not. Prospector Pete another class act and the perfect pick up and play budget game, and to think of the 40 Mastertronic titles released for C16/Plus4 he wrote two of the good ones. happy

And yeah Doug's graphics were amazing! The coal miner guy in the game The Pit is one of the coolest characters ever on our machine. I would of loved to of seen a Platform game that used him in that Manic Miner or Tom Thumb type of way - I can dream. And the fact Doug signed off with the game The Pit was a dream come true and something very special indeed..., one of the Legends from back in the day had come back to grace us with their magical coding talents and it not only captured the essence of yesteryear but managed to squeeze more graphics, music and modern day features beyond what we thought was possible with 64k in a Rockman game! Doug's The Pit after all these years away from the old 8bit computers was just as awesome as his games that came before it and another gem that will last the test of time! happy

As for the music in the game The Pit, I did the title screen tune. If that is one of the tunes you want to use at his funeral please feel free, it would be an honor. I'm glad he liked it and I was blown away when he thought it good enough to use on title screen! I so wanted to do more with it but ill heath prevented me from doing so sadly.

Thanks for letting us know Eddie and very sorry Doug is not of this world any more!! He will be remembered for as long as I can breath and that's true for many of us!

RIP Doug and many thanks for your awesome games!!!! cheers

Posted By

retroscener
on 2022-07-21
14:50:58

Just learned of this as haven't been well myself either. So very sad for your loss. He made a spectacular return to our scene with The Pit, and he'll be missed by all here.

We Dig Doug.
R.I.P.

Posted By

Patrick
on 2022-07-22
06:13:19

Doug, thanks for the games! R.I.P

Posted By

RĂ¼diger
on 2022-07-23
08:59:01

Just read about Doug's death today, so sorry.

Thanks Doug for everything too, rest in peace.

My heartfelt condolences to the family.

Do we know how old he was?

Posted By

Lacoste
on 2022-07-23
16:02:17

I read the news with great sadness, many of us here grew up under his incredible creativity, rest in peace!

Posted By

Goetholon
on 2022-07-24
15:19:31

My sincerest condolences to the family.
It was an honour interviewing Doug a few months back for the release of his newest game "The Pit".
As a Thank You, I sent him a copy of the original "Prospector Pete" tape game he wrote in the 80'ies, which he was very fond of but had no tape anymore.
Rest in peace, Doug.

Posted By

Doug
on 2022-07-24
15:50:16

Thank you all, your words really mean a lot to us. Hearing about the impact his work had on you does bring a little light into these dark times.
Thank you so much MIK! That is really appreciated.
He was 57.
- Eddie

Posted By

George
on 2022-08-17
17:05:27

Hi friends,

i uploaded a video on Youtube about Doug's wonderful game "Prospector Pete" yesterday.
I load the game from Cassette, tell a little about Doug and the game and finally show some gameplay.
Dedicated to our friend Doug.

Youtube: https://youtu.be/fjIjIWaw6OI

Posted By

Mad
on 2022-08-17
19:33:39

<3 !!!!!!!

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-08-18
23:12:08

Nice one George! happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2022-08-21
11:20:22

My heartfelt condolences to the family.

I also had memories about Icicle Works from my childhood. I had a C16 with 16K RAM, so Icicle Works did not run on my machine. So every time I wanted to play "more serious" games, I visited my friend who had a Plus/4 with 64K RAM happy We played a lot with Icicle works, next to Mercenary and some other games. Certainly soon I got my 64K expansion from my parents happy

Doug was a real professional programmer, who supported this small scene with high quality work and enthusiasm in the last decades. His return, and "The Pit" was such a polished piece, it is hard to surpass at any platform.
He had a heart from gold, we saw it from every comment, every reaction. I was (together with the others here) lucky to know him, even just virtually.

He will be missed by all of us.

Rest in peace, Doug!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024