Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2018-03-15
04:40:16
 Re: Starting off again

Totally understandable it will take time Doug as families, work, real world commitments as well as good health come way before side hobbies. It can feel like a lot of pressure once the cat is out of the bag but yeah in your own good time. Surprise is always the best way as we don't know it's coming, like Pets Rescue. happy

Back in the good old days some of the fastest and smoothest full screen horizontal scrolling games came in the from of Starforce Nova, XCellor8, Phantom and Auto Zone. Horizontal Split as well as 2 player was Summer Events with it's 'full screen' Butterfly Swimming & normal size screen Cycling.

Horizontal again and 1 player you could almost say Time Slip was split but really it only uses part of the screen. Many other classics come under this half screen scrolling such as kikstart, Power Ball, Battle Star as well as defender clones such as Sky Hawk, Bandits At Zero and many many more like Moon Buggy ect...

I used to think.., of all the machines out there in the 1980's the C16/Plus4 was KING for home computing horizontal scrolling smoothness. You could argue there wasn't much on the screen back then to scroll but it was ultra slick when done properly.

Virtical Scrolling from back in the day but all 1 player was Terra Cognita, Terra Nova, Tomcat and BMX Racers. Legionnaire would slow down if there was too much on the screen at the end of a level, Gun Law used about a 3rd of the screen but I'm sure this was only done to limit the amount of bad guys to a max of 3 at any one time... Olympic Skier scrolled up lol.

The only 2 player virtical I recall was Ikari Warriors but that was rather slow and very limited as a game.

As Csabo said Tom Thumb was multi directional and there was another..., Thrust. The original Thrust did flicker but the author fixed that a number of years back and released a revised version which can be grabbed on the game page. It's known as Thrust Revised, under Revised Version on the page.

If your after idea's. I'd love to see a C64 Ikari Warriors type game, that was ace on C64 and yeah Ikari Warriors was better than Commando!
Also and I'm not sure if it's your thing..., a roguelike dungeon game would be neat.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024