Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Andys​oldier
on 2007-09-05
13:25:32
 Mr Puniverse Cheat

Hi i'm trying to get the unlimited lives cheat to work with YAPE - this one: >33A2 BD.
I've tried a few different things but no success, if anyone has had it working i'd be grateful if you could post instructions.
Thanks very much in advance.
Andy.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-09-05
14:08:46
 Re: Mr Puniverse Cheat

Looks like that cheat was wrong, it should be >3367 BD.

Posted By

Andys​oldier
on 2007-09-05
16:59:49

Ok just tried that - how should it be entered - i tried starting the game then pressing alt and m, typing it in press enter it just says "unknown command".
I've tried loading prg then entering it, pressing enter and i get syntax error...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Andy

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2007-09-05
17:29:53

It is normally entered in the C16/Plus4's machine language monitor after loading the game. You activate this by pressing Run/Stop + Reset on a real machine, or Tab + F11 in YAPE.

Then type in and enter the cheat exactly as it's shown on this site (including the > symbol), then enter the Restart code which follows the cheat code. happy

Posted By

Andys​oldier
on 2007-09-05
17:42:47

You're a star Ulysses - that works a treat thanks very much.
I played this game about 22 yrs ago on my plus4 but never completed it because it used to crash when i had around 18 vitamins (i was usually near the bottom of the map).
I took the game back and changed it - the same thing happened (several times) and i gave up.
I wonder if this happened to anyone else...?

Thanks again!

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2007-09-05
19:22:57

I recently saw in an old Commodore magazine that the first release of Mr Puniverse contained this bug, and (IIRC) that it only occured when run on a Plus/4 (it would work normally on a C16).

Mastertronic seemed to have a habit of doing this...the early releases of Vegas Jackpot and Rockman also didn't work on Plus/4's.

Posted By

Andys​oldier
on 2007-09-06
11:51:39

Incredibly - i had 22 vitamins was plodding along nicely, jumped and it crashed - the screen turned blue and the word "break" with some numbers filled the screen and i'm sure that's exactly what used to happen on my plus4.
I'm using Yape and the original Mr. Puniverse (rom).
Devastated!

Andy.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2007-09-06
14:12:39

here's more cheats from Isuue 34 of Commodore User. the 1st cheat works great but i can't get the 2nd one to work.

Move left at great speed and jump through walls leftwards.
M2172
Change 38 to 39

Take out the cannons & level out pulverisers (don't work for me, needs fixing).
M15F3
Change B2 to B9

SYS 6900 (obviously)

Posted By

retroscener
on 2007-09-06
14:15:19

i was pretty sure that the 2nd cheat used to work on my C16 years ago. if anyone can suss this out that would be great.

Posted By

RĂ¼diger
on 2007-09-06
14:47:39

Exits different versions of Mr. Puniverse?

I added the cheat, Csabo changed it. Just I looked my version on my own disk, the old cheat will work.

In the code we find the same ...

Vegas Jackpot & Rockman exits with old versions with graphic bug on Plus/4 or memory expansion. That are the first releases. Mastertronic repaired this and released fixed version.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2007-09-07
06:21:43

That's incredible. I also remember having Mr. Puniverse to freeze with BREAK coming down the screen in an endless column. I almost forgot it! It's a choldhood memory: I did not understand that time what went wrong. happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2007-09-07
06:55:14

Oh, well, Csabo, it's time to add "bugged" to the finals happy

Posted By

Mosh
on 2007-09-08
02:54:18

I could play Mr Puniverse to completion on a C16, but occasionally the game would crap out when I started a new game.

I can report that Mr Puniverse works fine on my Plus4, and only sometimes craps out.

(I've forgotten my password, d'oh)

Posted By

MIK
on 2007-09-11
05:28:41

Rockman c16. A long time ago and my memory fails me now but I used to interrupt the game loading at the lazy loading title screen. With some code I borrowed from another program that would change the screen display the game then went on to load and run normal as it was ment to be seen. happy

It used to do my head in why a Mastertronic game would not work properly, but at the time I was glad to see and play it!! I always wondered about the out of tune music though haha! happy

Posted By

RoePipi
on 2012-07-19
05:23:23
 Re: Mr Puniverse crash (as reported by Andysoldier in 2007)

Hi there, I wanted to bring back my childhood memories again, and ran into the infamous Mr. Puniverse crash.

After the usual swearing, I succeeded to manifest my pain into 2 files:
http://hivk.hu/roe/mr_puniverse_crash.mpg
http://hivk.hu/roe/mr_puniverse_crash.fre

If you load the freeze file into Yape and let it run (without doing anything!) till the cannonball reaches below the leftmost crusher at 3.52, the game will crash. (If you indeed do something, the game will crash at some other random time. I guess the crash is NOT connected directly to any moving things, because you can crash it in the room to the left, too.)

Note that I have 22 vitamins. The game runs in Plus/4 mode.

I've already tried to find the bug, but it seems this problem is too hard for my machine lang knowledge. I hope someone can find and eliminate this 1985 bug.

Cheers!

(...)

Ah, my usual luck kicks in: after the upload, the whole region goes offline! Even the cell phone... On my vacation! See you later, guys!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2012-07-19
07:42:21

I call dibs on finding/fixing this bug happy Any other takers?

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-07-20
07:13:36

I don't recall it being bugged having beat it a number of times but it has been a long time since I've played it since. Maybe I found a way around it...

Sixteen Plus added a Mr. Puniverse replay on YouTube and finished the game ok.
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRNS3i0QUAo

Posted By

RoePipi
on 2012-07-20
06:53:29
 Re: Mr Puniverse crash

Okay, now I started the game in C16 mode and happily collected 24 vitamins, then, heading to the last pill, it crashed again. What is wrong, maybe I shouldn't use the snapshot feature? Will try that soon...

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-07-20
07:19:08

Indeed I would try to play it all in one sitting without using any save features or cheats. Use the .tap imagine for extra peace of mind.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2012-07-20
07:35:02

There may be some kind of issue in YAPE, Gaia and I are trying to track it down. Either a bugfix for the emulator or for the game should come out of it... Will keep you guys posted.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-07-20
09:49:15

Well I recorded my Mr Puniverse youtube longplay using YAPE where I set it in Commodore 16 mode, no problems came around for me.

I'm baffled, can't understand why it won't work for you.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-07-20
16:08:01

As RoePipi says it maybe a snapshot bug.

Saving snapshots with Yape back in the early days it was a bit temperamental but as time has gone by I've not noticed any issues since because I always looked at it a different way. I don't save snapshots until I'm back on the title screen of any game were the game is actually doing nothing other than waiting for a key/joy stroke or playing some interrupt music... Less to go wrong.

Maybe something to do with the snapshot being loaded back in to memory... a couple of bytes maybe displaced, nothing serious.

I can't remember, think the current rockman.prg does not run on a real 264 the normal way. It has to be loaded from the MONITOR because it was saved wrong in the first place. That could be what were are looking at here maybe. The tape image is the real thing any way, cant beat that and that's what I would try first before anything else. You clocked it in 24mins, a bit of practice and I'm sure RoePipi can do it if he can find the time.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-07-20
12:14:43

I noticed a Yape bug whilst playing Tom Thumb where the music becomes corrupted, fortunately that doesn't happen in plus4emu so I was able to record it properly. Maybe he should try Mr. Puniverse with that great little emulator, despite the name it has C16 mode also happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2012-07-21
08:00:28

@Sixteen Plus: I am trying to fix that soon (as I recall Tom does some FF1D writes and hence the "default" frame rate gets lower. So if one assumes that frames will come at a fixed rate (which you shouldn't actually, on the plus/4 happy ) then it may get disaligned (or you get clicks in the audio, or whatever).

Anyway I looked a little into the problem and it seems that when the standard IRQ handler aims to read the stack (basically recovering the status register prior to the IRQ occured) it goes out of bound and finds a value of $3A at $0201. Then since bit #4 is 1 it assumes that this was a BREAK command and jumps to ($0316) -> $F44C instead of ($0314) -> $CE0E. Now the question is, why could that happen.

If you do a "B F44C" in the monitor and when it hits in at 3:52, you set >0201 2A and G CE0E in the external monitor it will not crash (immediately :) ). But it's just a workaround for now.

Here's the trace dump:

. 1D49 DEX
. 1D4A CPX #$FF
. 1D4C BNE $1D41
. 1D41 PLA ; IRQ happens here...!
. FCB3 PHA
. FCB4 TXA
. FCB5 PHA
. FCB6 TYA
. FCB7 PHA
. FCB8 STA $FDD0
. FCBB JMP $CE00
. CE00 TSX ; X = #$FD here
. CE01 LDA $0104,X ; so we are reading from $0201 here, which is not the stack!
. CE04 AND #$10 ; $0201 contains #$3A so this will assume B flag having been set in the status register
. CE06 BNE $CE0B
. CE0B JMP ($0316) ; BRK routine
. F44C CLD ; crash....
. F44D LDX #$05

Posted By

RoePipi
on 2012-07-21
08:17:25

Uh oh, I didn't expect this problem to be this deep, I certainly haven't been in IRQs this much. Nevertheless, I developed my BASIC programs using a countless snapshots, so it seems to be working okay in normal conditions. But how to do snapshots if a game uses music and all kinds of effects even in the title screen?

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-07-21
10:08:19

I wish I was smart enough to learn programming and take some of the load of you guys

Posted By

Gaia
on 2012-07-21
15:28:47

When I load up the PRG version, the address at $0201 already equals $3A, whereas if you fire up the TAP version you'll find traces of the NOVALOAD turbo around there (and zero). Could this be some weird copy protection? Bolcsek Kove had something similar, too...

EDIT: now place $00 to both $0201 and $0203 (using the FRE) and it will not crash... the odd thing is that the TAP version DOES have $3A at $0203, too, (not at $0201) so it would crash there either... weird.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024