Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Sharky
on 2005-06-20
07:10:55
 Whats the hardest plus/4 game to play?

This might be a tough question for I remember getting annoyed at many games. Ones I recall being the hardest were mostly adventure games because It took ages to find what words they understood ( eventually I found out how break into the code of the games and found them) Also Manic Miner was a tease completing that game was a small personal triumph.

So What is the Hardest game to complete on the plus/4? (Without Cheating)

Posted By

Luca
on 2005-06-20
07:22:33
 Re: Whats the hardest plus/4 game to play?

Dunno what's the hardest game.
But I know which is the hardest-to-know-how game: I'm proud to announce that I haven't understand yet how to play Pogo Pete!

Posted By

siz
on 2005-06-20
07:36:48

I don't know what's the hardest game but I spent ages on the Berlin level of Bard's Tale III and after some months of loosing the way I gave up.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-06-20
09:12:59

Very interesting question... I think it could be broken down into further categories. I think what Sharky meant was what's the hardest game to play as far as controls, and just generally playing the game. Even in this sense, I think there are subcategories.

To me Thrust was way too hard, because you have to really patient and gentle with the controls. I don't think I could even finish the first screen. I found the learning curve too steep. I had no problem with Rescue from Zylon however, loved that one.

On the other hand, games like Fingers Malone are also very tough because of the 'random' nature of the enemy movement. It's already a bit hard to control your character (movement is fast), but the enemies will just get you in random leaving you no time to react. I couldn't see if there was any strategy to it.

Games like Ghost Town were hard, because it took you _soo_ long to get to the later screens, and because it was the unknown, you just died on the first try, or try after try, and there was no save. Still it's an awesome game.

Games like Bard's Tale III are very easy to play. You just select the options from the menu by pressing the first letter of the choice. Very easy to get into. But it's the actual solving of the game that's hard, like Siz said.

Posted By

MIK
on 2005-06-20
17:45:34

Pin Point was one of the greatest challenges. I made it to level 8 without cheating only to find the game was bugged (See map) and played what would of been side B of the cassette in hope it was a load error but not so.

Thrust was a beautie. I did make it to level 1 with reversed gravity once and wished I turned the TV upside down so I could control the ship. wink

Fingers Malone is another fav! Indeed hard and I loved it even more for it!

Blagger wicked little platfrom game yet one of the hardest more so for being slow paced maybe...

Posted By

MIK
on 2005-06-20
17:48:48

One more game while I'm at it. happy

Quadrillion is a must if you have not checked it out. The second to last level is nasty.

Posted By

Luca
on 2005-06-20
18:37:20

[OT]
Quadrillion r00x, still can't understand why ppl hasn't given it 10 recursively yet!

Posted By

Lavina
on 2005-06-21
04:08:34

hm, Thrust is hard, for sure.
Punchy also.
Twin Kingdom Valley is VERY hard, try to complete it... I managed 2 times, but it is worth to play.

Posted By

Sharky
on 2005-06-22
06:02:26

Punchy was quite annoying especially the flying carpets and not quite catching the ledges.
Thrust was difficult for its age though it has great playability.

Another one that tested my patience was lunar docking it took me ages to avoid all that space debris.

My most frustrating moment was with the game Catacombs I was a not so bright twelve year old and I could not get past the first screen. A door was sealed, and all I had to do was type break seal I literally spent hours and hours trying to think of how to get through the door. I ended up writing to commodore user magazine, quite embarrassing really.!

Posted By

RĂ¼diger
on 2005-06-22
13:59:03

A very hard game is Hyperforce. Has someone seen Level 3?

@Luca: Pogo Pete has a bug. Please start the game from the tedmon and no with the basic line!

Posted By

sharky
on 2005-06-28
07:06:14

Xadium was a very hard game. I think it took me months to complete the first section of going beetween the posts to find that part two was even harder. Has anyone completed this game? if so does it loop? or does it just say well done or something that effect?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-06-29
11:58:16

That's actually a pretty good pick for "hardest game ever", Xadium is way too hard. It does have an "ending", just some message. I've just checked the game record here, and it mentions cheats, but they are missing from the site. I'll look them up and add them. I don't think anyone has ever finished it without a cheat.

Posted By

MIK
on 2005-06-30
09:15:55

To be fair for the good sake of other hard games I would say Xadium is not really a game at all.

It should be classed as a demo.
Neat tune and one of the better TED's of the day, nice 3D flying section which is very, very basic and a 2D scrolly flying section with no action what so ever.... Its more of a tease making you believe it's a game and thats how it was sold to Mastertronic. wink

It has all the qualitys you expect from a Mastertronic classic, but even they may of been fooled by what looked like a quality product which missed the point of being a game at all. I think this is why I love Xadium. happy

Posted By

Lavina
on 2005-06-30
09:25:14

Lando you mean it's similar to "Heil Sperma" .... its quite hard to decide whether it's a demo or a game...

Posted By

Luca
on 2005-06-30
10:47:32

I loved Xadium too, but I guess it's not a difficult game: you complete the first part in the very first play.
The second part simply is not a game.

Posted By

Litwr
on 2005-07-01
02:55:21

Is anybody in the world who could reach more than 18th level in Xargon Wars? wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2005-07-01
09:43:42

How many people never got past level 1 of Xargon Wars because a number of the releases were bugged??? happy

Posted By

RĂ¼diger
on 2005-07-13
13:32:41

From Xargon Wars exits a damage version, released on Omnibus. I make next days new .tap's, here is only the damaged .tap ...

BTW: On Omibus 2 is a damage version of Xargon's Revenge ...

Posted By

Litwr
on 2005-07-14
01:51:06

Maybe we should organize champions of games table. if to add "your score" field to the games in emucamp archive, then...
By the way, I played Xargon Wars on real the +4 in 80s without any problems. I took its PRG from emucamp and didn't have any problems with it with emulators.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024