Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Waz
on 2023-11-27
17:54:21
 Tutti Frutti Review

Hi folks,

As a contribution to the Mastertronic Collectors Archive website, I'll be doing a number of reviews for the beloved C16 and Plus/4 and simply had to start with the classic Tutti Frutti, still to this day one of my favourites (I mean, it's Shaun Southern isn't it?)

Hopefully the review is fair enough and balanced, whilst explaining the gameplay and just why it's still so good.

https://www.mastertronic.co.uk/game-review-tutti-frutti-commodore-16-and-plus-4-mastertronic/

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-11-28
18:52:08
 Re: Tutti Frutti Review

It's a decent review and description of the game, but this part:

> it is one of the best games on this system, full stop.

I don't know if I can agree to that. IMHO it would need a LOT of extra qualifiers to be true happy (e.g. one of the best 16K games, sure.) I mean, it's very difficult to compare games, and lot of these comparisons are apples-to-oranges. I love Tutti Frutti and played it a lot, but it pales in comparison to contemporary stuff like Summer Events (because the latter is also near perfect and has so much more). Then, if you take into consideration the modern stuff, which would not be possible without new cross platform compilers or compression tech...

Regardless, nice review happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2023-11-29
12:35:44

Love the review! And second Csabo too. All in all, the latter is the reason the former get created wink

Posted By

Waz
on 2023-11-29
12:41:41

Hi Csabo,

Thank you for your (always appreciated) feedback.

As you'll be aware, a review is always an opinion, and that of the reviewer, and not a statement I made lightly about this game, but I did have some reasoning behind what I said. Looking at the Commercial Games Only Top 50, Tutti Frutti is the only budget title in the top 10 (alongside other classics like Summer Events, Winter Events, ACE +4, Tom Thumb and so on. For those of you who haven't seen it, the current standings are like this:

So it's not just yourself and me that appreciates the game for what it is. Obviously, any Mastertronic review is based in the context of the original commercial era release of games (and the new stuff is absolutely awesome) because that was what was available at the time.

Always happy to agree to disagree and your comment was very fair and reasonable, so thank you happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-11-29
12:55:14

Ah, one of the best commercial games... Sure! There's that qualifier wink (Small note; we had plenty of non-commercial games in '85 too.)

One of the best commercial 16K games? I'm there with you 100%!

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-11-29
14:09:58

I really liked the review. I played a lot with Tutti Frutti, though I've never became the master of it.
The "recharge" sound was one of my favourite on C16 happy

I had other commercial Mastertronic games Formula 1 and Vegas Jackpot, both came together with the computer from Vienna. For a VERY long time I had no other commercial games, just copies with HER turbo. Good old 80s...
And if I compare Formula 1 and Vegas Jackpot, Tutti Frutti has a much better replay value in for the budget, at 16K.

Posted By

Verona
on 2023-11-30
02:22:18

"it is one of the best games on this system, full stop."

@Csabo, don't freak out about this. This is a subjective opinion. As is every review.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-11-30
08:29:45

Huh, I quickly re-read my comments to see if I dropped some inflammatory comments (inadvertently), but... no happy IMHO the discussion above is the definition of "civilized" grin

No one is freaking out here. Waz shared his opinion, I shared mine, and everyone is fine with not agreeing 100%. I don't think of him any less just because I disagree (and I hope he feels the same). In general - if I'm not mistaken - talking about Commodore 16 and Plus/4 games is pretty much the purpose of this forum. We share what we like, what we don't like, and (IMHO much more importantly) why we feel that way.

On that note, have you had a chance to read Waz's review? Did you have any thoughts?

Posted By

Waz
on 2023-11-30
11:18:24

All very civilised, Csabo, I agree. And we're happy to agree to disagree as needed - I don't think any less of you whatsoever.

In fact, once I'd explained the point I made further, we were able to ascertain the basis of my statement. And for the avoidance of doubt, I got the site editor to tweak the wording based on feedback to this:

" It is not just one of the best Mastertronic games on this system, it is one of the best commercially released 16K games on this system, full stop."

(which I am sure is more than agreeable, because, as proven, it most definitely is.)

I am planning some more reviews for the site, effectively they wanted someone with C16/+4 and C64 knowledge on board, and seeing as I do have a complete run of UK released Mastertronic titles for the C16 and +4, made sense for me to contribute.

Posted By

Luca
on 2023-11-30
12:39:04

Fantastic move @Waz. Now I'm waiting for a forthcoming review of GWNN, possibly to understand that weird choice of including an useless additional charset and destroying the enemy sprites' code with that super smart decision wink Is there something else beyond the rug?

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-12-01
01:27:29

And now for my Bombshell...
Tutti Frutti has a game breaking bug!

If you play the game a number of times in a row and in the same session the 3rd stage that has the moveable blocks will end up glitching stopping you from completing the stage. If memory serves me correct, eventually the 3rd stage blocks will stop moving preventing you from killing the remaining enemies.

These days it's all to easy to have 1, maybe 2 plays and never experience the bug. Maybe I'm playing the game wrong, the 3rd stage you push the blocks to kill the enemies? Whatever the case I have broken the game many times which can happen randomly on say the 3rd, 4th or 5th play in a row and always on the same stage. grin

Posted By

Luca
on 2023-12-01
03:33:59

@MIK although I am not the passionate Tutti Frutti player ever, I decisely remember what you've described. This must be investigated, I smell a brand new Pin Point dirty case. Well spotted!

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-12-01
08:51:08

Hopefully you can replicate the glitch and is an easy to fix. A very strange bug to occur.

Posted By

Xerox
on 2023-12-09
14:32:02

Great Review! I've created a remix of the sound track here. It was lot's of fun producing it. I actually sampled the track from my 36 year old Plus/4. There's also a remix of Terranova, that you can find here.
If you have another favorite Plus/4 game, where you do want a remix, let me know.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-12-09
14:49:17

Hey, welcome to P4W! Drop me a line if you want to log in (since you already have a member record).

Those are neat! There are plenty of remixes already on the site, but they are under the individual games (e.g. Tom Thumb, Exorcist, etc. - we don't have a separate page for them). Let me know if you want to add those as well.

Posted By

Luca
on 2023-12-09
15:39:07

Welcome back to the Scene TGM. Congrats for the tracks, the remixes actually rock up the good old C16 tunes! Hey, this also means that Xerox is now Miraculix again, right?

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-12-09
17:04:00

@TGM Wow, those pieces are great with that rock/metal jamming! I really like them! Keep up the great work! You have +1 subscribe!

Posted By

Ati
on 2023-12-10
02:39:32

The Tutti Frutti remix is amazing, i will hear that on my big hifi with high volume... Let’s rock!

Posted By

Xerox
on 2023-12-11
01:32:05

Yey folks, I'm back happy
Just a little 35 years later I found my old stuff in the attic of the house of my mother in law.
Unfortunately all my floppy disks are gone with all the good stuff that I developed.
But the Plus/4 turned on again. I now work with a SD2IEC to load my own code on it that you guys have preserved, big THANK YOU to everyone involved!
If one has some clue, how to repair the 1551, which is also broken, give me a shout.
All the best
TGM

Posted By

Luca
on 2023-12-11
02:08:01

It depends if mechanically or not, one of my 1551 had perfect mechanics but didn't load, it turned out it was a defective 6525A, which is an IC one can easily found for Amiga boards too. If your problem comes from ICs, open the 1551, turn it on and use a finger to feel the warmer one.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-12-12
08:23:17

The Terra Nova and Tutti Frutti remixes are now on the site (they can also be found under Xerox's page).

Posted By

Ati
on 2023-12-12
13:10:19

@Xerox: My no1 old ted music was song of POD. I’d like to hear a similar pod remix, if it is possible...

Posted By

Xerox
on 2023-12-14
01:20:38

Thank you Ati, I'll see, what I can do happy
I will start another thread about remixes so this one will not be hijacked wink

Posted By

Retroshire
on 2023-12-14
02:27:48

Very nice!! I shared the Remix on the FB group C16/+4 Nederland.

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-12-14
07:30:33

Very nice! Terra Nova was very Doom with the guitars, in a good way. Would be so cool if a guitar could ming out the lead, some improvisation in there giving it the large one lol. The rest of the guitar stuff sounded ace though! happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-12-14
11:08:07

@Xerox, if just the housing is broken, I may send you an old 1541 "big" housing, at least I think I had one empty housing I bought for an old, cancelled project.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024