Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-12-09
18:22:39
 Are You Ready To Xplode?

Xplode ManEXpect the eXplosive uneXpectable!
Our little scene still has some gaps in the game genres to fill up. One of those kind of games surely is represented by the 'Bomberman' fashioned games, and we all know attempts to do something on that way have been performed with very promising results in alpha phase (video 1, video 2), attempts which unfortunately did not reach a well deserved final release...

And just before the end of the year, who comes to save the day for the Bomberman fans? Yes, Assassins, mastering C16/Plus4 games zone, are now back, and Skoro is active again on the keys, equipped, as tradition wants, with the only Plus/4 assembler monitor to show you what the dieharder coders can do, even nowadays in the crossassemblers era!
Skoro's Xplode Man wins the prize for the first Plus/4 Bomberman, with 24 screens splitted in 4 zones to clean out and differently fast foes to set alight strategically placing your bombs. Level codes and vanity board will keep your interest high for a lot of time, we all shall meet here at Hall of Fame for sure! The game's charming graphics and overall design are another success by KiCHY, and the pretty sweet results are undeniably on screen. You just know who's missing to be named in order to regroup the terrible trio...yes, it's Csabo, who put in nice SFX and composed two of the most joyous tunes we heard ever on Plus/4, absolutely matching the gameplay.

The rhythm of play is targeted to a slow paced strategic setting, but we challenge all of you in keeping calm down when a faster foe approaches towards you thru the bricked walls and you've temporarily run out of bombs. So, let's see how you'll play your cards on the Xplode Man fields of play, challenge is now officially open. Good one, Skoro!

Posted By

Chronos
on 2014-12-09
18:22:39
 Re: Are You Ready To Xplode?

Congrats guys! Ridiculously well polished, playable and enjoyable game! The graphics is also stunning!
I wish a lot more to come exclusively to our little platform grin

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-12-09
19:10:16

Yeah, I love it too! I wrote the music and the sound effects, but I had no idea what kind of game it will go into, so this was a very pleasant surprise happy

Congratulations Skoro and Kichy, this is an awesome release!

Posted By

Patrick
on 2014-12-10
03:33:21

Haha, beautiful game!! It was the best present for my birthday. Thanks guys!

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-12-10
03:37:43

Oh Patrick, hence happy birthday in the meantime!

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2014-12-10
05:58:59

Cute! Good work, everyone. Thanks.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-12-10
07:13:09

Hey Luca,

I hate to spoil the party but.., that gap in the game genre was already filled by Dork's Dilemma which is more than worthy of a mention. The Egg came to C16/Plus4 before the Chicken, or should that be Dinosaur as in the Rideable one that came later to the Bomberman series. wink

BTW guys, Factory Zone is a bit odd compared to the other zone names, might of been better if it was called Aztec Zone with it's grey colour? wink

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-12-10
08:27:50

Good point MIK, I never put that connection between Dorks Dilemma and Bomberman before. Good call.

However Dork is quite often unfair, it can start you on a screen automatically death-trapping you with the enemy.

Anyway, what a great game. It is about time we had a proper version of this happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-12-10
08:56:07

Hah, have to echo Baz here, that is a really insightful connection - between Dork's Dilemma and Bomberman. It wouldn't have occurred to me, but when you think about it, it's correct.

Just played a bit more again. The effort really shows, it's so polished. Cute graphics, flawless animation, good controls and gameplay. If I can have one little gripe, maybe an option to switch between music+sfx / music only / sfx only / silence would have been nice.

(And Happy belated Birthday, Patrick happy)

Posted By

MMS
on 2014-12-10
10:19:21

silence? Come on! happy

Posted By

George
on 2014-12-10
10:53:49

Great game! The music and graphics reminds me of Nintendo games, which is good of course.
I played it only once. The only thing i missed is a little more action (more enemies) and speed in the game.

In summary its perhaps the most stylish game on our system i know of and a true masterpiece. It has great potential to become a classic, which you always want to play.

P.S.: Maybe i miss also a nice title screen graphic (e.g. the little character with a bomb). We have enough experts here to make one..:)

Posted By

Chronos
on 2014-12-10
13:38:41

yeah, but Kichy doesn't like intropictures so i used a plenty of time to convince him the importance grin maybe next time, with the next release..

Posted By

George
on 2014-12-10
14:59:24

Perhaps we can convince him together.

My personal opinion:
A good intro-picture is very important for a game. Its like a filmposter for a film. It's the cherry of the top of the cake. It makes you identify with the character and want to play the game, even if you don't know anything about the game. Even if a game is bad, a good title screen makes it to be remembered.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-12-11
04:38:48

Wishful thinking George as some people are too used to stuff like this and anything other than plain basic text is just too much to take in. wink

Seriously though, I share your view on having something really cool as non retail titles lack covers that would in turn give your imagination something to think about. A good loading screen or title screen can be just as effective. Mind you, I think this games title screen is very neat, just a little image of Xplode Man would finish it off. happy

Posted By

George
on 2014-12-11
08:19:39

Great Basic introscreen..happy

I totally agee with you.

And again congratulations to this great game, which can easily hold up with the best commercial games on other systems of its time like Nintendo, Sega, Atari...

This game also deserves a nice cartridge in a big box with an big manual. Perhaps also a poster and a Xplodeman action-figure.

Posted By

corpsicle
on 2014-12-11
12:42:40

Looks great, plays great. I only played a few levels yet but ill give it a good go over the weekend.

Posted By

Acrid
on 2014-12-11
14:31:36

That! Looks! Fantastic! Very good work so far.

Posted By

Degauss
on 2014-12-11
18:37:35

Great Work! It looks and sounds fantastic and has a great gameplay

Posted By

Litwr
on 2014-12-16
01:59:56

It is very good. I could already finish three levels. Fantastic!
EDIT. This game reminds me Cuthbert In The Cooler which was one of my favorite. :-)

Posted By

Lavina
on 2014-12-16
15:41:59

It's always nice to see new sw especially when it's a game and it's so well polished as this one. Congrats and thanks.

Btw you mentioned Dork's Dilemma and I remembered how classy that was so after a rough 2 hours gameplay I was able to finish it. happy I love that game, brings back nice memories. I love it when there are multiple screens that can be revisited and there is a mission to complete across screens. Just like Berks III.

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-12-17
04:55:55

Now you can push votes for it on Pouët too wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-12-18
05:15:54

Cuthbert In The Cooler, well remembered Litwr. Not an obvious one. happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2014-12-18
10:27:44

C. in the cooler: first time hear about this game. Noy a bad one, but the recent release is the best. But need to be fair with the old ones, a lot of things changed since then, and they had to fit into 16k.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-12-18
17:33:50

Cuthbert in the Cooler and in the Tombs of Doom were at the time very average games and some what messy looking any way, they still are in many respects. The reason for this is simple though...
The author wanted to offer as many levels or screens as humanly possible with-in 12k of memory. Both games have around 250 screens and for this reason alone they hold a place in most peoples hearts. I would not be surprised if only a handful of people have completed them without using cheats.

There is a map of Cuthbert Enters The Tombs Of Doom showing all screens, check the bottom of the game page. WOW! wink

Posted By

Litwr
on 2014-12-19
03:04:08

If I remember correctly Cuthbert In The Cooler has less than 20 maps but I like this game, the sound of footsteps, the logic of bombs usage, ... IMHO In some ways this game is still the best.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-12-19
04:48:01

Cuthbert in the Cooler has 20 or so maps yes, but obviously repeated to make the 200+ levels like Squirm and it's many 1,000's of screens. If you sit and watch the title screens on both Cuthbert games they will flick between the levels or rather screens at random showing the screen or room number.
I would like to see Cuthbert in the Cooler remade, it could look miles better and the game could be made much smoother, less glitchy in feel and looks if you know what I mean. I want to see the walls of a cool Castle for the mazes and the guards made to look like guards, see cover. wink

Posted By

Litwr
on 2014-12-20
15:47:38

Do you mean kind of Wolfensten 3D with bombs? happy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n53-M6W2wEU So it is possible for +4 too.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-12-21
05:44:52

Maybe more along the lines of Into The Eagle's Nest. Something that will give it a Castle Colditz feel with spooky ghosts and grim reapers as the guardswink

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-02-07
12:01:25

Xplode Man becomes a Sizzler on Retro Gamer 138. And awaits for your high scores too.

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-02-08
07:28:39

Well done guys, 93% is awesome! happy

Posted By

Acrid
on 2015-02-17
23:25:25

I would love to see a physical release via Psytronik. Any chances?

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-04-11
05:24:27

@Acrid: uh...sorry for being so late, I read your question only today :v
Having a real support for this game would be great, but Skoro has his own ideas about the social networking in general, being not on Facebook or Twitter, and spreading his great pieces of software in a real oldschool-ish way happy This wouldn't help keeping linked enough between publisher and author, I remember how many messages me and KiCHY exchanged with Kenz at the time Adventures In Time had to be released...
Nonetheless, Skoro uses to read the forum, hence who can say, at least he'll get the idea wink

Posted By

Mad
on 2015-04-12
16:09:14

The work that got into the different parts... is awesome! awesome game!

Posted By

theruler
on 2018-06-25
17:01:14

Very funny and entertaining game! Thank you for the efforts, it is a pleasure to play such a game in my old (new) C16 with my kid. wink

For the records, I've found the game fully compatible with SD2IEc + Jiffy, just don't use CBM file browser to execute the game. Navigate to the folder, exit FB and then load the game with ,8.
Otherwise you will get a "blue screen"! (the c16 hangs just before the very first note of the intro tune).
Could someone explain this behavior?

cheers.

Posted By

George
on 2024-03-03
14:10:10

I also think this wonderful game deserves a review on real hardware too:

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024