Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-05-27
16:04:24
 Pogo Pete

I've just added the ending for the game Pogo Pete, one of those games that puzzled me out along the years: how to play that?

Basically, 24 screens must be completed placing a tile in the right area, then you have to go to the left of the screen, change your job from Pogo to DareDevil ('P' changes into 'D") and reach the border on the right by platforms without touching the ground.

Apart of the fact (see the ending) that the screens sequence is buggy too, the worst is that I've never seen a version that allows Pete to change in DareDevil mode. Moreover, I had to put down a cheat for it, in order to fix that bug (see cheats).

Pogo Pete has been released alone as first, then rereleased in Germany by Quellesoft and included in the Five Star Games compilation.
I hope someone has those latter two, in order to check if they are mere copies of the Tynesoft original, or there's a fix in the following versions.

In any case: how can it be possiible? All the buyers of this game, did they really play it when they've bought it? Am I wrong in something and didn't notice it?

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-05-28
05:31:42
 Re: Pogo Pete

I doubt anyone played the game long enough to take it seriously and most people switched it off at the first screen as it was not clear what to do.

The tap gives away which one it is and it comes from Five Star Games and is the later version from the UK. The chances I recorded that tap are very high as I did most of my Turbo loading stuff first off regardless of also having original first releases that might of not had Turbo's. The original does not have a Turbo loader...

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-05-28
06:31:34

...and if I've read good what's stamped over the cassette, the 1st release should have been out in 1985!
Would be cool to have a TAP of the original non-turbo version too.

Furthermore, we could think the same has happened for the other games of that compilation: our TAPs of Defence-16 and Blagger shows Novaload too. Tom Thumb and Ghost Town have a different turbo, which seems to be their own original one, but this raises the topsyturvy question about how they load in the compilation...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-05-28
07:54:14

Nice job adding the ending. I'm the same way with this game: I've tried to play it many times, couldn't even pass the first screen. I swear there was even a topic about in the forum but couldn't find it. Still have no idea how to play happy

Shame about the ending being bugged. Also fairly sure that no-one ever reached this ending before wink

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-05-28
12:31:02

Csabo that's because of the DareDevil's bug! From that, my astonishment: a game with such many releases, which is clearly bugged since the first screen! :o

I added this essential fix, and now it can be played normally. Nonetheless, the screens sequence itself is buggy, and can't be fixed. I've just added the 24th screen fix just because the instructions talk about a 24 screen game...

Posted By

Gaia
on 2014-05-28
16:31:46

Amazing! So much about Quality Assurance in the old days... happy Now I am eager to know what that long load tape version would reveal.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-05-28
17:56:36

Check the Plus/4 World Uploader in-box, 3 taps are waiting, all tested with Yape.

Yes indeed that's 1985 on the Pogo Pete tape.
Don't hold your breath for Pogo Pete as it may turn out to be a disappointment as it was never saved with a file name and unlike other Tynesoft non-turbo loaders where they auto run and have something like a pink screen as they load... Pogo Pete 1985 was saved using the normal basic routine.
It takes 6mins and 48secs to load on the Yape timer. Type RUN to play.
Good Luck Luca!!

As promised a while ago, I just had another crack at Meteorite and is now working perfectly. Taken from the original release.

And finally the one you have all been waiting for...
Some would say the Commodore 16's holy grail and yes it comes from the big plastic case version with the key and extras ect... You guessed it, Cuthbert Enters the Tomb of Doom!! happy
Just like Arena 3000 also from Microdeal you have to type RUN not long after the file name has been found for the Turbo loader to kick in. It's a half wave any way, not the quickest turbo ever made. Your notice the file name has a number 2, my guess it was named like that because it was a later second release of the original?

You will see two little graphic bugs in the game once it's loaded and running, nothing to worry about as I think the PRG's have it as well or something like it.
One is a single pixel missing from the number 4, (see lives) and Cuthbert has some extra blue pixels coming from his foot on one frame when he walks. These two small graphic glitches are there when you load the original tape on a real machine so it is not fault of the emulator.

Once again they have all been tested with Yape.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-05-28
17:09:45

Awesome job, MIK, you're the man happy Sorry, I'm not clear on this: do the new TAPs of Pogo Pete also have the same bug (can't switch jobs)?

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-05-28
17:17:38

I would leave that one for Luca, let him check it for the bug as he may know where it is in memory instead of having to play it...

It can be uploaded of course as it's a non-turbo version. Fire Ant has non-turbo and turbo versions, Luca might of added the later. Will give you an idea what he may of done.
KEEP the original as it's a Turbo version from Five Star Games. happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-05-28
18:40:21

...And yes, the game keeps its bugs since the original version, incredible! :o
Oh well, at last now we know how to play that, leaving to Tony Takoushi's games the WTF prize grin

Truly a great move MIK, thank you for the time you've spent, added that precious bunch of TAPs!

Posted By

Gaia
on 2014-05-29
02:19:27

First off, great job (as ever) Luca and MIK! I recall we have made an interview with Patrick Strassen a long while back, perhaps he could elaborate on the story a bit if we re-contacted him?

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-05-29
05:36:27

It's been a while since we last spoke to him. Could be 12++ years and he may of changed his email since as the internet has got a little faster over the years with different providers offering better deals. His email is sat on my old PC some where...

It makes you wonder if the original was sent via some BBS, (over the phone) and that's how the odd glitch may of shown up? How did Udo end up with some of his later games 1000's of miles away... and Tynesoft were many 100's of miles away from him too as Patrick Strassen lived less than 10 miles away from me.

Some of the early Tynesoft stuff was not the best though as if a lot was rushed out of the door. They also recorded stuff on the cheapest tapes known to man which never helped with loading. I'm sure Apollo Mission crashes at random too. Not forgetting bugs in Jetset Willy ect...

Shame any way.

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-05-29
06:10:48

...not to mention what he said about 13 years ago:
"...UnPublished/Not completed: Warhawk, Suicide Express, Uridium (very minor), some Galaga shoot-em-up game..."

I would really put my hand on that unreleased stuff wink

Ok, let's try to contact him via FaceBook, then...

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-05-29
11:02:00

I'll fire up the old PC and grab his email and say hello any way just in case. He did post here back in the day, maybe he's still about and checks in once in a while? happy

Don't forget his nick name in your search just in case, I think it was Pat Scram.

EDIT: Just reading back over and get what Luca said now, "WTF prize" lol. Indeed some strange games. happy

EDIT 2:
The good news, he has a Yahoo email address so there is hope. I'll do that in a mo.
The bad news... For what ever reason Pat never got around to sending me his games.

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-05-29
11:11:11

What a pity!

I've found and added the built-in cheat modes for Street Olympics and Bounder, but can't find that one into XCellor8...

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-05-29
11:39:08

Email now sent,

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2014-06-02
15:44:11

Posted By

Chronos
on 2014-06-02
16:12:19

i'm shocked how many buggy games out there from the 80's grin I read earlier on csdb, "robocop" cannot pass because "On level 7 you should not to kill all the enemies to go to next level - because it is impossible. The enemies goes endlesly." ..and there is pogo pete too.. i never played it just a few times checked but i also cannot figured out what to do grin

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-06-02
16:44:27

Are these yours from your collection Chris that your moving on or just some you have found online?

As luck would have it someone scanned the white cover version of Pogo Pete and sent it in... The instructions say type RUN at the READY, so it's the same as the yellow clam shell version for loading. The amount of tape in each cassette looks the same on all 3.
Chances of these containing the bugs are high if the later Turbo Loader version also has them, I don't think it was a one off.
If your looking at grabbing one then take the white cover version just in case! happy

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2014-06-02
17:05:02

I own thise Tapes.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-06-03
05:35:03

Have a word with Luca, maybe he could tell you where in memory the bugs might be so you could check. happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-06-03
07:00:26

He should give it a try playing, or he can compare the versions from $3CC9.

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-06-03
07:48:39

What a shame, I was quite sure it has been me who added that early cheat that fixes the bug in Pogo Pete, and that's not true *blush*. The truth is: Csabo did it, I added the latter ones! Beg your pardon, I used to do so many works here till forgetting what I've actually done.

MIK and RĂ¼diger have pointed out that if you run the game by Monitor instead of give it a RUN command, the bug goes away. Personally, I see no difference in the gameplay either entering G3CBA or give it a RUN, the bug is still there, hence I can't confirm that.

But I finally figured out where's the DD mode bug!
The author missed to set $F3 in the beginning of the game's initialization. $F3 has to be '3' from the beginning, because if the player is on the left border of the screen, a minimum bounce is spent in order to switch P <-> D modes. The $F3 counter decreases to 0 and then the mode changes. You could even don't fix it at all, but await the $F3 value decreasing from 0 value till 3 by bouncing a lot of time. Once the regular value of 3 is reached, the game continues with absolutely no bug, of course! That's because I'm gonna change the first cheat (DD's bug fixing).
Playing this way, the 23rd level bug is still there, but once finished that with congrats and run back, actually there's a 1000 points Super Bonus bouncing toward the left border of screen 1 in any mode! You can even don't touch the 24th level! Once you've got the Super Bonus, you can go forth and back freely changing to DD (avoiding the ground of course), reach the 23rd level again, get congrats again and return to screen 1 to achieve a Super Bonus again and again and again. There's the ending to change tho, then.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2014-07-25
00:55:22

check this out! A lot of POGO PETE guys grin
/and a cop with segway/

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024