Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2012-06-04
04:34:12
 TedPlay V1.0

TedPlayHere it comes, in the end! We were waiting for it! It's signed by Gaia, our prince in emulation, it also takes with it all the experience of TLC, and most of all it plays genuine TED based sound on your PC!

Let's turn seriously professional to announce this. Attila Grósz, in collaboration with Levente Hársfalvi, has finally released TedPlay V1.0, the first public version, stable and working. TedPlay emulates and reproduces the audio of a TED based machine. It can perform that by loading several types of files: the main format will be the brand new .C8M file format, but the player can also handle PSID/RSID format files with .TED extension, and .PRG files with executable inner player. TedPlay considers adjustable volume and playback speed, playlists managing, multiple tunes control, on/off turnable channels and player's reset. TedPlay requires SDL.dll in the .exe folder to run.

There's further work to spend on this first release, which aims to work with the new .C8M format but does not have a dedicated .C8M compiler/editor yet. At the moment, we suggest to download the current High Voltage TED Collection release, test the emulator with the .PRG files you will find in the /player folder, then report any bug to the authors: they're currently working on it to make it bigger and stronger! You will see, there's no change to play .PRG files with multiple tunes: don't care about that, when all those files will be converted in the new format this trouble will be gone forever.

Because of this, High Voltage TED Collection has just been updated to 263 single files, with some fixed and moved tunes, new hacks from games and several new entries in the /musicians folder (Koko, Alf, Tony Kelly, Shelmie, the one and only music on C16 signed by Martin Galway, finally a decisive blow on Csabo's releases and many many more!). The HVTC has been and will be paused for a little while, until the new format will take place as regular standard.

Say thanks to Gaia and TLC for their absolutely fantastic work, and please help'em to improve their marvellous creature named TedPlay!

Posted By

KiCHY
on 2012-06-05
09:21:54
 Re: TedPlay V1.0

Hey Gaia,

Congrats for the TED player! Works and sounds fantastic. But I found a minor problem:
- When I doubleclick on an item in playlist, it starts play it automatically. But if it played another song before the doubleclick, the TED/CPU/Memory/anything is not reinitialized and that may cause problems: for example sustained note from previous song, or can't play current song at all. But when I press STOP first, then doubleclick on item, it plays fine. This behaviour can be tested mostly on game tunes.

Except of this small issue, I'm listening to TED music since the morning happy

Fantastic job!

Posted By

SVS
on 2012-06-05
07:29:42

A great work, Master!

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-06-05
10:10:59

If it's called TedPlay then why are we not using the .TED file extension for the ripped music? I thought this would of been obvious from the start... Technically speaking yes it is a .PRG as it's nothing more than a memory dump, but so is SID.

Fantastic player guys so far. Very strange hearing music without the screen such as Drum mix 3, (DM3 took a good while to register and then play) but does not take long to get used to. wink

I noticed not all but a handful of tunes can actually be played by loading up the whole game file which was cool such as Big Mac and even Saboteur! tho Saboteur goes into a crazy loop at the end haha! Thought I would give it a try and it worked for some! grin

A (Rewind) button on the face would be nice! I was hoping a quick click on RESET Player under TOOLs might of done this for now but it thinks there is no file even tho the Module path is fully listing the tune you just played.

Very cool guys, need to grab some more stuff but it will be fun listening to our computers music from external means. Great stuff!

Posted By

Luca
on 2012-06-05
10:16:55

MIK Why not .TED? I guess that's the reason why.
About Drum Mix 3: all the playable .prg in HVTC are packed with Exomizer, and of course a big 40K and more digi stuff needs more time to unpack than a 1K tune.

Posted By

Unreal
on 2012-06-05
10:24:46

sdl.dll missing for me

Posted By

Luca
on 2012-06-05
10:35:03

Unreal: google is your friend, you can download that little .dll from numerous places wink

Posted By

Unreal
on 2012-06-05
10:35:51

yes, tried, i found just dll fixers and any useful stuffs..fake programs etc..

Posted By

Luca
on 2012-06-05
10:42:45

Ok, facebook is your friend too, then wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-06-05
18:44:06

nothing to see here... post erased. :)

Posted By

KiCHY
on 2012-06-05
10:58:30

SDL: or from the official SDL site...
http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.15-win32.zip

64bit OS owners also need the 32bit dll!

Posted By

Csio
on 2012-06-05
16:43:47

big respect to you guys!

Posted By

Gaia
on 2012-06-05
17:34:07

Thanks, guys for the feedback. Yeah, a couple of gitches had still been there (the init thingie) but I forgot about them yesterday when I prepared the release Anyway, only download the SDL.DLL from the official source Kichy posted. In later releases I will - hopefully - get rid of the SDL dependency in the Windows build (in fact, initially it was not there) but the DirectSound driver was still buggy and the SDL one is much less of a git to deal with.

I am hoping to add auto-skip, a timer, options and properties windows... one day... so stay tuned... happy Oh, and since it's a publicly hosted open source projects, developers are welcome. Especially ones with WTL and WinAPI knowledge wink

MIK: yeah... the official extension will be C8M because it's a more generic format. TED can be used if there are (are there?? happy ) freaks who are inclined enough to dump TED music into RSID/PSID format grin I am not gonna forbid that wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-06-05
18:43:06

Something wrong with my SDL.DLL I should know about? First google link that worked lol. wink

I take it, C8M is Commodore 8bit Music ?

Posted By

Degauss
on 2012-06-05
20:43:02

@Gaia and TLC: Aaaaah, I've been waiting for this. Great work, and thanks so much! wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-06-06
15:19:24

It also plays BASIC language created music but has to be very basic!

10 VOL8
20 SOUND1,596,30:SOUND2,854,90
30 SOUND1,453,30
40 SOUND1,169,30

If you start being a bit more creative it may not work. Still cool it even played BASIC! wink

Posted By

Gaia
on 2012-06-12
16:04:03
 Re: TedPlay V1.0 + 0.0.1

tedplay 1.0.1 out now! Find it here:

http://tedplay.codeplex.com/releases/view/89423

Bugreports are welcome!

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-06-13
00:56:26

Cheers Gaia!

At a glace. Crusty old XP P4 setup.

STOP is still PAUSE, really would like this or another option so it rewinds back to the start of a tune without having to load it all up again.

Bongo & Bongo Alt still not playing - hope I have the correct files.

So far so good. A lot smoother starting up new tunes, the odd one that was a little bugged on the first couple of notes are playing perfect. Dingbat was one such tune I recall.

Great stuff once again! Cheers. happy

Posted By

Degauss
on 2012-06-13
17:36:31

Apparently the "turn-off-voice"-buttons seem not to turn off the noise-generator. A 1, 2, N -toggle-group would be great.

Nonetheless: Great work, already played a lot of tunes with it.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2012-06-14
18:33:23

Yeah that was a kind of a feature that nobody liked, haha happy Thanks guys.

And how about .SID support? happy (hint, hint)

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-06-15
01:32:09

Something tells me you have an army of testers as there is a lack of feedback? wink

I mean it's not a case of ripping the tunes out and there we go. This is hard work picking out all these interrupt coded tunes for anyone so some dude or dudes are right at the heart of the project as well as you coding TEDPlay. happy

I can point out something my not run correct but because the only SID I own sits in a C64 that means I have no SID card for Plus4 and only good people like Luca can tell you honestly that something is not sounding correct when it comes to SID.

Like SID, will there be a time when say Arthur Noid menu & in-game music will come as one and we'll be able to flick between each tune or is that more complicated than SID? I don't mind either way, what ever is easiest.

Saboteur! is playing much better now but the tune has not been set to end, instead it loops the last couple of bars continuously. That's fault with the actual tune file I'm sure.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2012-06-15
18:03:13

Yeah right, an "army of testers" grin

You are totally right. Where we are now is not the "final truth". There will come a dedicated format called C8M with similar characteristics like the .SID format. This means that all the Winter Events tunes will be nicely jampacked into one file and you can just flick among them.

As for the SID: it is not meant to be a full fledged SID player, just a nice "bonus" happy So that in case someone gets bored of the square waves ( wink ), (s)he can switch to the SID easily. Actually the tunes will still be played within the plus/4 virtual machine so not all tunes are guaranteed to work. Those who use the CIA for timing or screw up some TED registers will not work happy

SID support is however - considering the plenty of "native" SID muzaks - necessary at some point anyway so I thought why not add .SID as a bonus feature while we're at it. I'm actually listening to 4U2 from Reyn Ouwehand while typing this... 8-)

Posted By

groorkCon
on 2012-07-21
05:35:57
 Hi new here

Hi everyone glad to be at this forum.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2012-07-21
07:45:34
 TedPlay V1.1

Is there anyone else beside me who has absolutely no luck with TedPlay V1.1? V1.0 worked, V1.0.1 too, but this last version refuses to produce any sound for me.

Posted By

Luca
on 2012-07-21
09:05:19

Yeah, me too, I reported it to the author via Facebook.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2012-07-21
10:00:28

you mean 1.2, right? This is odd, I tested it on at least 3 dif't machines... There is a new directsound driver though. Could you test it with SID files, too?

Posted By

Luca
on 2012-07-21
10:12:41

SIDs run and play at max buffer (1000ms), and quite badly in timing.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2013-03-25
15:43:26
 Re: TedPlay V1.1

Gaia,

I really meant V1.1 since I didn't realize until you told in your recent post that there is a newer version. V1.2 works fine - checked just now.

Edit: Damn this "don't double post" feature. After playing a song for 5 minute 59 seconds TedPlay 1.2.2 seems to display in the elapsed time counter some unintelligible value. Can someone confirm this?

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-03-25
16:24:36

Yes, that's true: once reached the 6 minutes of playing time, the time counting breaks.

Meanwhile, I would say that the hacking of TED music has now reached a temporary pause, only because it's useless to hack'em without knowing how the proper file format for TED music will work. I'm waiting to know more about the .c8m format and about how to convert the current file to that format in all the possible cases (multiple tunes, x calls per frame, digis, basic...).
Every time I discover an interesting tune to hack, I try to stop myself recalling it's useless at the moment. Nonetheless, sometimes I'm forced to hack it just to don't let it pass away and forget. Hence, there's a folder with some new hacks ready to be included as HVTC update, which is obviously useless for the reasons I told ya before happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2013-03-25
19:09:42

Luca, the specs are still not finalized but could perhaps be posted (I meanTLC would not mind if it were posted) to give things a head start. We really have a chicken-egg problem, should the player support the .C8M (it does so already, albeit an earlier revision) format first or the other way round. As it seems, the former will not work so let's try the latter happy

gerliczer: must be some stupid bug, I'll have a look soonish thanks for letting me know

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-03-26
03:09:03

I have the feeling there is too much red tape and this is wrong when there was never a committee that said we will have .DAT aka ther later renamed .SID or any other music file type. The music came first, then the players to support them. With out music there is no player.

You should do what you want to do as this scene has done since day dot. The outside world are still ignorant mostly to much of what goes on in the C16/Plus4 universe so why should you bow down to them when really they should be looking at how to support you.

Luca, maybe one more tune that might of been forgotten? Sorry if you have already dug this one out. I was playing it last night. happy
Planet Search

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-03-26
03:16:42

MIK: oh well, probably you're right, I should convert those music and apply a generic driver in order to play them, being not scared of a forthcoming batch conversion of all those playing stuff happy

I guess the hardest challenge is: how to manage multiple tunes files. Those old codes rarely have well-coded players which switch tunes simply changing a register value. Actually, at the moment, if you run on TEDplay one of those files, you can barely hear the first one, and you have to load the "player" .prg on YAP in order to manually choose the tunes with a raw nonstandard stuff I folksy write for it

Planet Search music is currently in /musicians/pick_simon/ wink So much TED audio has to be collected yet, but none of them lacked of being considered or has been forgotten. It's just a question of time and work wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-03-26
03:45:33

Cool, Cheers! happy

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2013-03-26
03:53:15
 TedPlay V1.2.2 time bug

Hi Gaia,

I checked the code and probably found the embarrasing bug:

unsigned int hour = secs / 360;
unsigned int minute = (secs - hour * 60) / 60;
unsigned int sec = secs - hour * 360 - minute * 60;

My suggestion:

unsigned int hour = secs / 3600;
unsigned int minute = (secs % 3600) / 60;
unsigned int sec = secs % 60;

But this could be equally wrong so take it as a verrry shy suggestion.

Edit: It is located in Mainframe.cpp, in the CMainFrame::OnTimer function.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2013-03-26
17:41:38

Thanks, gerliczer, how stupid of me, I have left off a zero of 3600.

@Luca: here's an early alpha spec of the C8M format (I hope TLC would not mind having shared it)
http://www.harsfalvi.net/cbm8m/cbm8m_format.html
The format really is flexible, you could even squeeze the entire Summer Events tune catalog into one single binary. Or hell, the entire TED music collection.

For now, the player (TedPlay that is) only supports an earlier revision of the format but as I recall the required amendment is only minimal. However, not all the fantastic features are supported of course since there is little motivation to start implementing it. Actually, the curious eye could have reverse engineered the C8M format from the TedPlay sources albeit that part of the code is very ugly (I wrote the C++ header as I was reading thru the specs for the first time happy )

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-03-26
19:48:41

Never told too much both of you: thanks for your work wink Let's see in the near future.

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-03-27
03:59:33

No way. All TED music in a single file? That is mad! happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024