Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Wood
on 2012-05-08
12:13:44
 Overscan

Hi,

From what I have been reading here at the forum, it seems it would be possible to have a screen with a resolution 320x256. How CPU intensive would this be.? I am interested in bitmap multicolour mode, which full attibutes per cell. This is for a game.

Ta

Posted By

Csabo
on 2012-05-08
15:06:56
 Re: Overscan

Not terribly CPU intensive. You have to have a few breakpoints in every frame where you change some TED registers. I'd guess that it can be comfortable done in under 16 scanlines or so (though I haven't actually tested what the bare minimum is).

Our scene refers to this as "extended border", so you might get some hits if you search for that. Also you may want to check out some existing games, I'd say Summer Events and Invincible are the two most famous ones that do this.

Posted By

Wood
on 2012-05-09
03:45:18

Thanks Csabo.

I had a look at Invincible and that is really what I want. I am now fiddling with $ff1d to see if I can get what I want.

Posted By

carrion
on 2012-05-17
04:15:04

isn't opening up/low borders the same trick as on c64?

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-05-17
05:34:16

Turbo OutRun on c64 I believe made use of the top/bottom boarders, it would be the same sort of thing for sure. To be fair the first I ever see of it was on C16&Plus4 and you can even go out the sides. Total FULL SCREEN.

Formula 1 Simulator was an early form where the game would run in the normal window, but the sky, grass and dash would bleed out of the sides.
Another early one was Gwnn which added a rainbow out of the sides in the middle of the screen, but officially this was 1986 as the game was released a year late.

Posted By

Luca
on 2012-05-17
05:50:19

Eeeh, Lando, unfortunately $FF19 rasterbars don't count happy
Yes carrion, it's a very similar trick.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-05-17
10:21:11

Still cool tho making extra use beyond the main display. happy

Ok how about this:
Try using a 16:9 TV displaying Cinema display mode on the TV it's self and say goodbye to the boarders altogether haha! I lie... still a small edge around the sides but you can now have a full screen Plus/4 with the magic of your TV remote tho anything in the boarders will be chopped off. wink

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024