Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-11-02
10:48:57
 New Fingers Malone Remake In The Works!

Fingers Malone RemakeHomeGnome sent us word that he is working on a new Fingers Malone remake for the PC. You can follow the development process here (in Hungarian). From the preview images it looks pretty neat! The current development plans show playable levels by the end of this month.

This brings up an interesting question: does anyone know if the author should ask permission from anyone before releasing this game? If so, should it be the author (Doug Turner, who posted on our forum before), or the company who released the game? Talk it out on the forum!

Posted By

Andras78
on 2009-11-03
01:43:19
 Copyright Question (HomeGnome)

Hi,

I've found a section of the United State Government's law about the programs copyrights. See it below the link.
http://www.copyright.gov/

and the programs rights:
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ61.pdf

I'm sure about that is necessary to ask direct from the Author or if that is not reachable, from the Company. It have to trace it back.

Posted By

MIK
on 2009-11-03
02:29:48
 Re: Copyright Question (HomeGnome)

Well Mastertronic died years ago, was bought by Virgin Media and then Sega totally banished anything to do with Mastertronic because via Virgin they were selling the Sega Master System.

As a company Mastertronic is no more dead' but in recent times the name has been brought back to life much in the same way as Commodore and Atari - but of course these are not the same companys.

Sure if you can get hold of Doug Turner that would be cool and I'm sure he would be pleased!

We have had some amazing things happen in the past from authors of some of the original C16/Plus4 games. Panzer Duel we have here was sent to us by Julian Jones him self TWICE!! Once to crack a .PRG and later to create a .TAP of his work - he was over the moon to have his code running on his PC. Tomcat from Darron Broad did help us a a lot to bring his games back to life and much more and even gave us a very rare poster map of Mercenary to scan. The XCellor8 page needs some fixes but Patrick Strassen is another dude who helped a lot, Gwnn being a very big surprise - see the page. I can't remember them all but even Udo Gertz was a legend when it came to supporting the cause of brining his works back to life. Also Space Sweep author was unknown to us for 20 odd years but can you believe David Whittaker created it! happy

Each and everyone has been very kind, very helpful and only too pleased to see there work, even some remakes have been made just the most important thing of all is that we have never asked for any money - it's all free for all to enjoy and remember.

If you can not get hold of him then I would think it would be safe to release a fan made remake but it should be free - no money should be made and all acknowledgment of Doug Turner's work should be given.

If that does not twist your arm then maybe looking at something like http://www.spore.com/ftl could be a good start. It is not the same game we know on C16 aka Spore but it uses the same name of a Mastertronic game. wink

Posted By

Luca
on 2009-11-03
03:33:19
 Re: Copyright Question (HomeGnome)

...and I add Power Ball to the Lando's list too. Oops, yes, we'll fix the pages soon wink

Apropos, it's time to contact Darron Broad and do something for a redux version of Tomcat, as we'd talked about in the past...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-11-03
10:55:22
 Re: New Fingers Malone Remake In The Works!

Thanks for the replies guys (oh, and next time, click the "Be the first to comment" link from the news directly, so that I don't have to fix it).

I don't think the copyright law applies here - he's not making copies of any copyrighted works. Remakes are new software, built from scratch. As far as I know, "Fingers Malone" is not a trademarked name either.

We all think that this should be probably fine, but I think it should be fine even from a legal standpoint. Although, I'm not a lawyer happy

Posted By

Andras78
on 2009-11-04
01:30:02

Excuse me Csabo, I missed the "Be the first to comment"

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-11-04
09:38:01

No worries, it's a new feature happy

Posted By

Doug
on 2009-11-05
08:03:39

Hi Everyone,

Just for the avoidance of doubt, HomeGnome did indeed contact me about this, and I am more than happy for him to do this. I think its fabulous that someone is interested in doing this! Can't wait to see the end results.

As for ownership of the copyright - who knows? When I wrote this game, I effectively handed all rights over to Mastertronic when I sold it to them, but since they're defunct now.... ???

I'm no legal expert, and my words here can't carry any authority, but I think its safe to say that no-one is going to come chasing, least of all me!!

Cheers,

Doug

Posted By

MIK
on 2009-11-06
03:31:15

Cheers Doug!!! happy

I voted Fingers Malone 9 out of 10. One of the most original, beautiful looking, addictive and creative games that was ever released. It was also hard and that was another thing that kept me coming back for more, if not to see the next level but to make it past the bad guys to reach the safe or be it reach the goal. Also that bell sound for the lift was cool, a very unique sound that no one else pulled out of the machine.

Remake of Fingers Malone - the news alone was enough to put a BiG smile on my face!!! happy

Posted By

HomeGnome
on 2009-11-07
04:06:05

Hi,

I uploaded the first test-version:
http://homegnome.uw.hu/fmr_v045.zip
It's not fully playable yet, lots of features are missing, but you can try it out.
I hope you enjoy it! happy
(Sorry for my poor english!)

Bye,
HomeGnome

Posted By

HomeGnome
on 2009-11-21
05:50:30

Hi!

I uploaded the latest demo-version of the remake:
http://homegnome.uw.hu/fmr_v065.zip
The monsters are finished and animated, and every level is fully playable now. The game contains sound effects from the original. wink

Bye,
HomeGnome

Posted By

Chronos
on 2009-11-21
17:01:01

we will check it out as we did with the demo! thx!

Posted By

HomeGnome
on 2009-12-14
09:21:56

Hi!

The remake is finally completed! happy

1.0 Final version download: http://homegnome.uw.hu/fingersmalone.zip

Cheers,
HomeGnome

Posted By

Doug
on 2009-12-15
15:26:06

Hi Everyone,

HomeGnome just pointed me to the finished game, so I eagerly downloaded it. Man IT ROCKS!! What a re-make! It is perfect in every respect! I could not have asked for more. The original game play is perfectly reproduced. It is insanely difficult, just like the original. happy

The graphics are beautiful, but for me the high point is the music - wow.... just wow!!

You may have guessed that I loved it!!

Thanks HomeGnome!

Doug

(And Happy Christmas everyone!!).

Posted By

Ati
on 2009-12-16
00:52:13

It's a very great remake. I like it. Congratulations HomeGnome. happy

Hey Doug! I see now, you coded the original Fingers Malone. happy And Icicle Works. It was my favourite game on plus4. Thank you for some happy hours.
Do you want to make a new game in 2010? happy

Posted By

Doug
on 2009-12-16
08:46:02

> Do you want to make a new game in 2010?

If only I had the time!!

Doug

Posted By

register
on 2009-12-16
12:07:47

Yes the remake definitly rocks. It is a modern casual game but mantains the gameplay and style of the original. The blend of the new music together with the old sound effects is fantastic. I already dropped a line to "Vincenzo" to let him know how much I appreciated his and HomeGnome work. By the way Doug where are you working now? What are you doing? Your games rock!

Posted By

Doug
on 2009-12-16
17:16:57

Hi Register,

I'm still working in the hi-tech industry - never left it. I thought long & hard about what direction to take at the end of my degree: the games industry or the 'mainstream' tech industry. The mainstream seemed a better bet at the time, so I went that way. (I graduated in '87, the UK was in a downturn - as always!! - and the games industry was in a mess. So that was it for me - no more games. I got in to digital video very early one, and am still here. I work for a big European chip maker (STMicro). I'm in charge of low level software for our chips (we've got our own RTOS, stuff like that). Its a lot of fun, but no time for games.

Cheers,

Doug

Posted By

HomeGnome
on 2009-12-20
03:38:36

Hi Eveyone!

Here is a new version, with an easier difficulty level and +1 music:
http://homegnome.uw.hu/fingersmalone_1.10.zip

Bye,
HomeGnome

Posted By

register
on 2010-02-08
09:15:02

The remake is really great but the download of the file is painfully slow. Why don't we store the remake somewhere in the plus4 files repository?

Cheers,
register

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024