Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2007-01-23
14:17:39
 Space Harrier page too?

Elite Systems LTD used to insert the same general multiformat booklet or leaflet in every tape deck. That's why I added the .pdf file to Ghosts 'n' Goblins page.
Then, I told myself:"Well, the 1942 manual had C16 instructions too...", so I'd found the litte leaflet complete and I added it, 'coz it contains all the versions; you can also read about the usage of spacebar to roll and save ya from the bullets.

An idea comes to me: if Elite used to write all the instructions in one general leaflet, what about Space Harrier then? We just know that several adverts on magazines had been published about the C16 version:
ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/company-pics/EliteSystemsLtd/EliteSystemsLtd-ad4.jpg
And after a short searching session, that's the result:
sh1
sh2

LOAD"ELITE" !?
Joystick Port 1 !?
Pause F1 !?
It looks too precise to pertain a vapourware. I claim for a Space Harrier ghost page too! happy

Far away, I would cite the less possible: Avenger (magazines and Trailblazer's inlay), Thing on a Spring (magazines) and L.A. SWAT (a little note on Zzap! Italia).

A quick addon to this topic, to invigorate the matter more: look at the game screenshots on the back cover of a C64 version of 1942, look at the panel on top: it's different from both the existing C64 versions and can't absolutely be compared with Spectrum, Amstrad and MSX. wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-01-23
21:43:00
 Re: Space Harrier page too?

Very nice research! I suppose we could add a page for Space Harrier, but from all of this, I think the more likely explanation is NOT that Elite had these but we can't find them, but that they put out some incorrect ads... As for the cover, it's obviously made multi-system (so they could reuse it/save on printing cost), so they probably just grabbed all the systems... That's the sad truth I think. Why they can't be bothered to look into this is beyond me.

Posted By

Luca
on 2007-01-24
10:30:01

Yes, probably that's the most probable. The detail that hits my imagination has been that F1 for pause. It suggests that a REAL code for Space Harrier C16 existed somewhere,

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-04-06
06:56:10

Another (multiple!) evidence found: on Zzap! Italia, issue 12 (May 1987), italian distributor "Soft Mail" calls for reservations on three incoming titles with their real price. They're: Gremiln's "Avenger", Elite's "Space Harrier" and Bug-byte's "Jeep Command".
Existence of the latter had just been pointed out by Lando in 2001 here, referring to a Zagan Warrior cover which probably we don't have yet.

All the Space Harrier shrines around the net, reports the c16 version as confirmed release.

We should need a GTW list now: Space Harrier, Jeep Command, 1942, Avenger, Thing on a Spring...what else?

Posted By

MIK
on 2008-04-15
09:18:55

Link: http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=2628

This version of Thai Boxing from Anco was on the cards for Plus/4 at one time. Never showed up.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2008-04-15
16:04:00

interesting to see that about Space Harrier and 1942.

i also propose a page to at least find out information about the lost ocean games in this list. i remember seeing the outlay covers advertised in a home shopping catalogue around 1984/1985. it doesn't mention Rolands Rat Race here though which i remember seeing all those years back.

http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?image=c16oceanta4.jpg

i did a search last year and found 2 of the proposed outlay covers only, no insert.

http://freenet-homepage.de/264er/Commodore/264er/hunchback_2_front_cover.JPG

http://freenet-homepage.de/264er/Commodore/264er/kong_strikes_back.JPG

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-04-16
09:42:55

Very interesting...

A C16/Plus4 GTW list should currently look as follows (edited).

:: gtw ::
1942, Space Harrier, Avenger, Thing on a Spring (though Andy Oakley pointed out here it had never been _developed_), Jeep Command, Hunchback II (here), Kong Strikes Back (here), Hit & Miss (1 and 2), Tornado (Quicksilva), Excalibur (Tynesoft), Software Starter Pack (Tynesoft) (here), The Wizard of Akyrz, Wizard Of Wor, The Wand, Questprobe 2: Spider-Man, Gorf, Planetfall.

:: more clues ::
- Rüdiger should have seen the previews from "Triple Decker 8 + 9" by Alternative Software, any further hint?
- Anthony Guter, ex Mastertronic's Financial Controller, confirmed (here) that no C16 version of "L.A SWAT" game had been released or projected, as one may think reading here Zzap! Italia issue 10 (March '87).
- Even no hints about Code Masters'"Grand Prix Simulator", tagged as released on C16 and Plus4 too here Zzap! Italia issue 20 (February '88).
- Lando, I've ever thought Thai Boxing was the very sad converted title by Anco, but if I understood well, you're talking about a long awaited second version, did I get the matter?
- Quicksilva's "Skyhawk" probably had become the well-known Skyhawk.
- "Daley Thompson's Decathlon" should have turned into Daley Thompson's Star Events, but what about Ocean's "Roland's Rat Race"?

Posted By

Sidius
on 2008-04-19
03:44:09

Ok Luca...but u forget the "The ELITE Collection" !! happy

front: http://freenet-homepage.de/264er/Commodore/264er/Elite_Collection1.JPG

rear: http://freenet-homepage.de/264er/Commodore/264er/Elite_Collection2.JPG

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-04-19
03:51:46

Uh...really? I guessed they're all in, because they should simply be the single games backed together...
Anyway, if you have a double 20€ that weighs in your pockets too much, you can buy both in Italy, here.

There you can also find some weird italian cracks, Music Master by Jackson etcetera. There I also bought Death Or Glory.
We should pass the hat for some titles we're interested to, or we could trigger an "adopt one C16 title" enterprise ;)

Posted By

Sidius
on 2008-04-19
04:27:58

Oh no thanx, Luca - I have of course already both as single ones... wink

This italian shop is interesting but very expensive.

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-04-19
04:50:45

Unfortunately yes you're right, they're a bunch of thieves

Posted By

MIK
on 2008-04-23
04:55:26

[ Page ]

I have no idea where the scan has gone which states a Plus/4 version of Thai Boxing.

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-04-23
09:45:13

Oh, probably my messiahnic power deleted it at long distance happy
No seriously, if you got that scan from a magazine, we only need to know which one, you should remember for sure due to its rarity and importance.

Posted By

MIK
on 2008-04-24
16:14:53

This advert comes from Your Commodore - December 1986. Its the (inside back) of the magazine cover.

Photo: http://plus4world.com/covers/t/thai_boxing_plus4.jpg

You will find long before this that Thai Boxing was being sold cheaper for C16&Plus4, yet here we see an updated version of Thai Boxing for many formats and the CBM Plus4 has made it!! Same name but very different game...

Do you like my Plus/4 in the shot?

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-04-25
12:07:49

Very interesting Lando!

Two little remarks:
- you've got a very nice Plus/4! But probably a normal usual obvious plain scan of the page would work better, let leave the artistic mood to someone else wink
- you put it into /covers/ folder, is it a cover? Probably the best location would be /images/scans/ but hey oh god in the higher sky fulminates me if my guilty hand moves that file, coz' fate wants annoying mothers to be, incredible to say, precise too happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-05-25
16:12:30

Another GTW, a very difficult one to find.
Read here about Steve Kellett's "Fruit Fight".

Posted By

Luca
on 2008-06-27
12:54:52

Another evidence, on Zzap! Italia 15.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024