Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-08-05
16:14:43
 1942 does not exist for the C16.

Its way to much of a common game/name to of even missed my attention back in the golden days for the C16 release. This goes back to the days of Bomb Jack and Ghost'n'Goblins. Both games were little more than a sample of the essence of its big brother being the C64. Both games came in two parts (Side A and Side B), where Ghost'n'Goblins was around one 3rd of the original arcade/C64 version. Both were crude in the way they were coded, but again this was the early days before the likes of Udo showed up on the scene. It took the magic of Jörg Dierks (A C16/Plus4 god in his day) to create the awesome Paper Boy which without his talent would never of see the light of day on our machine I dont believe. Would be cool to find out the story behind why an english games company had a german create their game, but from what Udo sent us there was some insider ring between alot of C16 coders as he sent us promo work of Jörg Dierks and Patrick Strassen.

Elite must of been screaming for C16 versions of their hits and its around this time of Paper Boy we know of the clan, Udo, Jörg, Patrick and some others maybe which was long after the release of 1942, Bomb Jack and Ghost'n'Goblins.

Elite sold game by the masses and it isn't hard at all to get hold of every other game they released apart from one that I know and that is Battle Ships. But other than that the ones known to excist you we have them here from PRG's to TAP's and scan of the covers. This includes the Encore releases such as the once released under that lable Airwolf 2.

Battle Ships was on part of a 4 game compilation for the C16 released by Elitle I think..sure it was. It may of been "4 in 1 Hit Pak 2"?? I dont know the other 3 games but at the time it was released late 1986 early 1987... I think, it was late, I owned 3 of the games and didn't think it was worth buying it just for Battle Ships.. Yeah I was wrong

Going back to 1942.. I believe it was on the cards, work in progress by some one (maybe) and they didn't pull it off. You only need to look at Bomb Jack and Ghost'n'Goblins to get an idea of what it might of been like. The arcade has some 32 levels, LaRgE air craft carrier that you took off of. More memory would of been eaten up for the animation of the aircraft to sweep and land. The sweeping aircraft to dodge fire was what 1942 was all about. Then the enemy aircarft with also larger boss aircraft, not forgetting the power ups and then you want scrolling land to fly over??? I dont think so.

I'm not putting these games down but Tom Cat and Terra Cogneta are all GFX and very little AI used for enemys, but at the other end of the scale we had Reach for the Skys with loads of enemys and very little GFX being used. Reach for the Skys would of been the closest 1942 would of ever of got so indeed 1942 could of been done in the right has but what Elite were pushing out at the time do not even live up to the polished product that Reach for the Skys is.

I'll say it again just to anoy you all. 1942 does not exist for the C16 wink

Who knows!?!?!?!?! happy

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2004-02-26
17:41:31
 Re: 1942 does not exist for the C16.

The reason that there's probably so much confusion about the Elite stuff was probably down to their advertising style at the time. This advert, for 1942, and this advert, for Space Harrier, seem to suggest that both games were available for the C16. However, this is most likely a result of a 'generic' advertisment layout, as this advert specifically states that Space Harrier is NOT available for the C16 (if you look carefully), and this Encore advert shows that 1942 was not released for the C16 on the Encore label, which suggests that it wasn't released at all.

The only thing left is that mention on Elite's official site...

Posted By

Rüdiger
on 2004-02-26
17:50:12
 Hitpak Best of Elite Vol. 2

I've send the cover from the Hitpak Best of Elite Vol. 2 to Csabo. And a scan from the tape label. This compilation contains Bombjack 2, Paperboy, Ghost'n Goblins and Airwolf 2.

On the back on the cover you can read in very small letters:

BATTLESHIPS not avaible on C16 format. C16 includes AIRWOLF 2.

I have only the original tape with cover, but no instructions inlay.

Posted By

MIK
on 2004-02-26
18:03:24

And they won't reply or they never gave Csabo and honest reply. We proberly know more about their C16 side than they do. wink

Over the last 20 or so years many games have never made it to the shops yet in magazines you may find adverts for them. People always jump the gun and even today you will see games cheaper as long as you preorder months before and all they have is cover artwork, even made up stuff.

Sepecial Resevre was it? Big company that used to advertize software way before it was out in the 90's and years later you'd find out the game was never released or never made it to your part of the world...

I agree with 'generic' advertisment layout. At the time the C16/Plus4 was looking good, 1986 is one of our biggest years. With Mastertronic, Gremlin and Anirog busy at it I'm sure people were wonder whats going on here and tryed jumping the band wagon as Elitie did at that time. Hard to believe even Ocean released one game for our system but they did. wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2004-02-26
18:09:59

I'm more than sure BATTLESHIPS was part of this compilation I can't remember the name of. ??

The quest is on to find it!! wink

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2004-02-26
18:24:20

I think I have an explantion for this one too.

Here is the cover of the Spectrum version of the Best Of Elite Vol2.

Yet, despite being the Spectrum version, it also mentions "BATTLESHIPS not available on C16".

I'll bet that Elite were really scraping the barrel to save printing costs and used the same pictures on all versions of the compilation, with only that note on the back for C16 owners. happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2004-02-26
18:27:23

Maybe your right and thats why I believe I saw it!

Posted By

MIK
on 2004-02-26
18:34:06

Rüdiger looks like your right all along happy

From what Ulysses777 has just shown me and what your saying, that may of been the very title I was looking at all those years go. WOW! They had me fooled happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2004-02-26
18:47:32

Ulysses777 do I get your vote that 1942 was not released for the C16 then? wink

I think that Encore advert says it all.. But you can also wonder, if the game was poor then there was no way they would of rereleased it..? Somthings not right here is it wink

Posted By

TMR
on 2004-02-26
19:16:43

i'm no expert here but, judging by what actually got released, i'd have thought that if there were a version that actually ran Elite would probably have released it. Quality control wasn't much of a watch word for them around that time and i suspect that even if it were reduced to just the planes and no backgrounds and had appalling graphics they'd probably have still put it out...

Posted By

TMR
on 2004-02-26
19:20:50

i've just had an evil thought, if i were a nastier person i'd have mocked up 1942 using graphics from the C64 version and released it on April 1st... =-)

Posted By

Luca
on 2004-02-27
03:25:55

Can I write another unfoundable game? "LA S.W.A.T", by Mastertronic (Entertainment USA), 1986, c16 announce both on adverts and reviews (Zzap!).

Posted By

Plus4Vampyre
on 2004-02-27
03:34:31

I wrote an e-mail to the support team of elite. So let us wait for an official statement - if the game exists or not and that maybe finish the "urband legend" about 1942

Posted By

tellwill
on 2004-02-27
08:50:36

Hi!

I am Willi from Hungary! I had a software for plus 4 (called (alex the Game) in 1988. Ican't start it on my PC. Can you help me, how an emulator works?

Will

Posted By

MIK
on 2004-02-27
15:08:18

Plus4Vampyre:

Thanks for letting me see that email. It really needs to be seen by the right person who may know the truth (fingers crossed). We need prof in some way or another. Saying the game was released as on their homepage is not enough because we wouldn't be asking them if it was. We have facts here saying it was and it wasn't out for the C16. Lets hope they take a look and can contact some one who may know!

Cheers!!

Posted By

Plus4Vampyre
on 2004-02-29
04:56:16

I got an answer : Elite will check their archive for us happy I hope they will find something...

Posted By

MIK
on 2004-02-29
07:25:35

happy Lets hope so!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-02-29
20:23:12

Man! Which address did you write to? I wrote to EVERY address available from their website more times that I can count, and they NEVER replied! You got lucky I guess. Who cares, as long as we find out THE ANSWER

Posted By

Luca
on 2004-03-01
06:18:18

Ok, I'm checkin'the site lotta times a day, hoping to find some big news with uppercased chars somewhere! happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-03-01
19:19:10
 Re: Uppercase chars

That's the spirit Luca happy However, I suspect a negative reply, and that's nothing to get excited about, so it will probably be a lowercase headline.

Posted By

TMR
on 2004-03-02
04:20:06

What case will it be if they say "well, there was one but we can't find the bugger!!" =-)

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-03-02
16:45:53

happy WeLl, ThAt WiLl PrObAbLy CaLl FoR MiXeD CaSe.

Posted By

Luca
on 2004-03-05
07:05:24

Surfing Elite's site, I see that:
- Ghost'n'Goblins C16 is not cited, nor Scooby Doo C16.
- ACE and ACE2 are broken...btw why cascade releases are in Elite's?
- Saboteur an Saboteur2 aren't Durrell, aren't C16, aren't +4...

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2004-03-05
12:16:05

Elite re-released Ace + Ace2 on one tape for the C64 under the Encore label around 1990. Cascade Games (by then known as Artronic Products) went bust that year.

Durell Software was taken over by Elite in 1987, and they re-released Saboteur and Saboteur 2 for the C64, Spectrum and Amstrad under the Encore label.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-04-05
17:12:08
 Re: 1942

Sorry for reviving this old topic, but I'm still curious. Plus4Vampyre, any word from Elite so far? (But again, I should know the answer to that from my experience with them. I even though that once they receive an email from someone, they will block his/her address, and that's why they never write back...)

Posted By

Plus4Vampyre
on 2004-04-06
02:33:02

Sorry still no answer from Elite, but I have a phone number in England - maybe we should call the guy.

Posted By

marr6120
on 2004-05-23
06:34:49
 1942 DID exist for the C16!!!

Hello all! I just discovered this wonderful website about the C16/Plus4 today! Many thanks for the makers of this website! I'm really enjoying the 80's flashbacks I get while surfing this site. I had a C16 from 1985 on until I sold it cheap around 1992. I really regret that now...

Anyway, back to the topic. I was rather amazed that the prevalent opinion on this site seems to be that the game 1942 never existed for the C16. But I can confirm that it DID exist. And what a game it was!!! happy It's a coincidence that there's such a discussion as this game (I incorrectly remembered the title to be Pacific 1942) was my absoulute favorite game on the C16. It easily put most games for the 64 to shame, and I'm not exaggerating.

I had a C16 with 64k expansion (solded the chip in myself like everybody else in those days. wink But I'm pretty sure that it ran on the C16 without expansion.

1942 had the best and fastest graphics of any C16 game I've played (other favorites include "Tom"). The sound was also top notch for C16 standards. I played this game to death, a real killer game. I remember the game title was actually 1942 - Reach for the Sky. I believe I had the original borrowed from a friend and I cracked the game, adding some tag line on the starting screen... wink Unfortunately I lent the tape with my fav games to two young brothers in Kelkheim, Germany and never got the tape back.

I can't believe nobody has seen this gem of a game! I would really like to swap some great gaming memories with other C16 fans. 1942 was the absolute best for the C16. I still regret not having kept my C16 and the tape!

Posted By

Luca
on 2004-05-23
06:49:48

marr6120, your contribution is very precious, but please compare the game you're talking for with this, cause the subtitle you cited for 1942 matches too much with the title of Gremlin's game.

Posted By

marr6120
on 2004-05-23
07:20:38

Luca, thanks for the quick reply! It's funny, I also had some doubts that I was perhaps mistaken about the two titles. I was about to say sorry for prematurely causing a stirup here. I don't know the relationship between Reach for the skies and 1942. I have a vague memory of the title. The title could have been Reach for the Skies and I changed it in my pirated version to read "Pacific 1942" perhaps inspired by the 1942 ads. I'm not sure now.

But I checked your site and the site for 1942 and I'm quite sure that the game I played around 1986/87 is not the one shown on the RFTS site. The graphics were WAY better, they had real arcade quality. I saw in the mail at the top of this thread written by Lando a mention of RFTS and saying that it was a top notch game back then. So either I'm mistaken about the 1942 game or the screenshot given for RFTS is not authentic.

Still, I remember the "1942" game that I had had a distinctly Pacific setting with Japanese planes (with typical red dots on them) and looked very authentic (there were some Zero fighters and some of the big Jap bombers in olive green). The RFTS cover, by contrast, shows a Battle of Britain scene, so it cannot be the same game.

I checked the 1942 ad and the screenshots match the game I remember (with the exception that there was probably no 1942 starting page as shown on the screenshots). I'm still a little confused about the title, though. I seem to remember that I renamed the game "Pacific 1942" from "Reach for the Skies".

Perhaps someone here can tell me about the "Reach for the Skies" game so I can verify if it is the one I played. It doesn't look like the game shown on the site Luca points to.

Posted By

marr6120
on 2004-05-23
10:35:05

Ok, guys, I have downloaded YAPE and Reach for the Sky. That was quite a blast from the past! happy However, now I'm not so sure anymore about 1942. I played RFTS and it seemed like a downgraded version of the game I played in 1986. I remember my game to be much more sophisticated than the RFTS I downloaded today. Other things seemed very familiar (like the ranks of Robin, Buzzard, etc.) so I guess I was playing really RFTS or a version of it in 1986. Perhaps the game seemed so much better only in my memory. I guess memory played a trick on me. Anyway, it almost seems like my previous posting here was a false alarm. Sorry for that, guys. happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2004-05-24
06:09:46

happy For a moment then I thought we finally found some one whoes play it, but some of the things you were saying about the game sounded too good to be true.

The ranks of Robin etc gives the game away, RFTS it was. wink

Posted By

marr6120
on 2004-05-24
07:57:16

Yes, it really must have been RFTS. But still, I remember RFTS to be much better (more colors, better scrolling, etc.) But maybe that's true for all C16 games after 15-20 years. I dunno... It's just not the same anymore, I guess.

Posted By

RKSoft
on 2004-05-24
11:04:56

Why not programming? There are many coders (machinecode) that could it be possible to make 1942 for C16 (64KB). I could make it with the Basic v3.5 but it is very slow .

Posted By

Luca
on 2004-06-21
13:27:45

...refreshing the topic: some news?

Posted By

RKSoft
on 2004-06-21
18:03:22

i wrote an email to Mr. Evangelista from Elite. I hope, i get an answer from him... happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-06-21
23:17:01
 Re: Hoping for an answer

(Scoffs) Yeah, keep hoping. As I mentioned above, I've been down that road already. But who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and get an answer. How hard is it for them to look it up? I would have even been satisfied if they just said: "That was too long ago and we can't remember", but they just simply don't reply. That's a very bad way for them to treat fans and potential customers.

Posted By

SVS
on 2004-06-22
02:35:12

--> BB Software:

>> I could make it with the Basic v3.5 but it is very slow
But we could compile the Basic source with AustroSpeed and obtain an acceptable result.
Recently I've studied it for one of my projects, and I can assure you that it can do thing that nobody could even face.

Posted By

RKSoft
on 2004-06-22
17:32:30

@SVS
hm, i think i should give this idea a worth try. How big (max bytes) should the basic program be to compile it?

My next thought is, how to make it:

1. background gfx? but how can i make the sprite (without the shape function) on the screen without complete overpainting? I don't know, do you understand what i mean; look Bomb Jack.
2. the music? Could anybody make a program in machinecode for the background music? If yes, please keep the adresse's from $1000 till $4000 free for my program and the characters!

If you (or anybody) has really interest to see 1942 on Commodore Plus/4 (or 116/16 with 64KB) please send me an email to webmaster(delete_me)@bbsoftware.net ...

I would make a 1942 stylish game!!!

Posted By

MIK
on 2004-06-22
18:43:09

BB Software,

If your into emulation as in the Game Boy Colour then hunt down a copy of 1942 for the Game Boy Colour! This may offer a good insight to how it might look, work and play.

In my view:

Music is only really needed on the title screen and simple TED 2 channel would do.

I would say have it look like Reach for the Skys with just a blue back ground. Only the ship for landing and taking off might be needed, if it was a 16k game then its not needed at all. The main thing about the game was really the enemy planes and there patterns along with the power ups to match.

Have the LOOP the LOOP on Spacebar .

Posted By

RKSoft
on 2004-06-22
22:22:44

Ok, i've take a look into the C64 version and take some sprites to convert to c16.
Now, i've done the player flyer, enemy and single/double shooter. See on screenshot, i've taken from YAPE!

I use a trick for the background scrolling (water). I poked into the adress $32 from my character settings ($32 = space).
I don't know how can i make the great looping - maybe with extra character settings but the c16 have only 128 chars (or can i use the reversed characters like on c64?) and i need the letters (maybe, i can take the unused letters, hm)
I'll make a playable demo for u, so please be patient!

Comments welcome happy

Posted By

SVS
on 2004-06-23
02:40:18

@BB Software
1) Max lenght of source to be compiled by AustroSpeed is the max available memory (60669 bytes), but you even could make more files, then with overlays. In this case the variables are common happy
2) Music: hey we have online Luca, the greater Plus4 musician!!
3) Characters: yes you can use 256 different re-drawn chars. Please set the proper bit on TED register to enable the second 128 set (see my Ultimate Plus4 Map)
Have a good work.

Hey I'm not able to view the screenshot

Posted By

Nightbird
on 2004-06-23
05:06:13

The link is:
http://www.tele5lebt.de/global/1942_c16.png

It looks very good! Way cool! :D

Posted By

Sidius
on 2004-06-23
05:46:53

@Nightbird:
If this screenshot to be really genuine should...such a Fake I provided in less than five minutes ! wink
I believe it only if I played this game personally...

Posted By

MIK
on 2004-06-23
06:34:26

Sidius without looking at the C64 version I dont think its genuine. Each plane is made up of 3 colours plus the back ground which is 2 colours hehe. happy

It could look like that but the planes would have to flash two different characters to hide the blockyness, much like Legionnaire. wink

@BB Software, it does look very sweet though! It you get it looking like it is I take my hat off to ya! happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2004-06-23
07:53:00

Lando, Sidius: that picture, fake or not, can't say much more: planes seems like chars, so the 2nd background color is "planes free", and the background itself seems to be HR, not MC. All the so-called sprites are quasi-char-shaped: player airplane is a perfect 3*2 chars, enemy planes seems to be char drawn again, but asymmetrically, maybe into a charsprite mask during their movement.
Who did it? Very cute!
BBsoftware: go buddy go! Do the real 1942 for c16! happy Music? Here I am!

Posted By

Nightbird
on 2004-06-23
10:04:28

Sidius,

Why should I think it is a fake? What purpose would it serve? I rather believe it is original BB Software, and hope he gets along the way...I had enough of scepticism in my life wink

See you!

Posted By

TMR
on 2004-06-23
10:35:08

If y'squint a bit at it, the planes block out the background effect so the darker shade of blue is background colour, the lighter is character colour and the planes just write (guessing a bit here) a 3x3 character area and their own colour data in. That probably means that all movement is going to be over character cells, so it's not too difficult to do - i nearly botched up something similar as an April fools joke! =-)

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-06-23
11:42:38
 Re: Picture

The picture is not a fake, at least in the sense that it is very much possible to display this on any C16 or Plus/4. The number of characters, colors, resolution and colors/character are all fine.

Now, I'm not saying NOT to write this game, but the reason we are looking for the original 1942 is not because we so desparately want to play with something like that wink It's just an old mystery, and we want to find out whether it's part of the collection or not.

Posted By

RKSoft
on 2004-06-23
13:39:46

or use http://www.tele5lebt.de/global/1942_c16_2.png to view the next picture.

It is a very time ago since i programmed on Basic 3.5 but i'm shure, i'm on the right way wink - look into the ZIP, open the D64 file and run 1942.
But!!! This is an earlier alpha wip - play it with VICE on WARP MODE :D

1942.zip

Posted By

RKSoft
on 2004-06-23
13:47:46

Ahh, before i forgot wink

The background scrolling was a simple poke-ing. Controls with cursor keys (recommend on pc) and the key A.
There isn't an enemy, yet. The first screenshot looks the characters, i made with my Chargenerator v2.00, and was create on YAPE!!! There is no fake - download the earlier alpha wip and see... happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2005-05-29
13:03:21

Refreshing this topic.
Me too had written an email, some months ago, to Elite headquarter. Obviously, no answer...

Posted By

Plus4Vampyre
on 2005-05-29
14:41:23

Luca what I got back from Elite was an e-mail that they will check their archive - but no more answers - I think it is a waste of time to write more emails - we should have a phone call to the support hotline and maybe someone is willing to help us

Posted By

Luca
on 2006-01-13
14:22:44

I used the enquiry form I found in the new Elite's hp.
The answer tooks a couple of days, and sounds like an automatic one:
'Don't have any further information for you on this at the moment, sorry.
Regards - Steve Wilcox - January, 2006

Posted By

Chicken
on 2006-09-05
13:06:35

Guys, don't you ever check for "hidden" messages? wink

"Reach for the Sky" includes some additional text which was supposed to be displayed on the title screen. Guess what it says? "Battle of Midway". Which is quite interesting because Capcom's sequel was named "1943 - The Battle of Midway" (Strange, though, because the Battle of Midway took place in June, 1942). See also http://www.answers.com/topic/1943-the-battle-of-midway
So if "Reach for the Sky" was the sequel, has there ever been a predecessor? I guess I'm just adding more confusion wink

BB Software: Have you continued coding? It looked quite promising happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2006-09-05
13:18:47

Yeah you're right.
For the same reason, "Ghosts'n'Goblins" would be a tie-in of the famous "Ghost" movie; also, "Barbarian" would be a recall of my cousin Barbara, and "Tom" is a clear and clean fingering at "Tom Bosley", Richie's dad in "Happy Days" series.
I would die right now happy

Anyway, BB the "C" man, a direct quoting of all the word in the universe that contain the C letter, did the question, and I'm absolutely with him!

Posted By

JamesC
on 2006-09-05
19:03:47

Luca: in the US, there is a company advertising hair transplants on television.... the company: Bosley Hair Systems. However, Tom Bosley is not a spokesperson.

Maybe Tom is too ethical to promote something simply because it has his name on it?!

Should we petition Martha Stewart to name her green thumb "Tombilina"? happy

Posted By

Chicken
on 2006-09-06
09:41:55

Still, why would the author include "Battle of Midway"? He must have had some kind of reason. Furthermore, the "Reach for the Sky" Logo looks somewhat squeezed. Imagine "194x" there. Would fit nicely happy

JamesC
Who needs hair transplants when you can have spray-on-hair which looks just like real hair? wink

Reminds me of one of my first visits to an American supermarket: Spray-on-cheese... The can said "Made with REAL cheese!". Now that's amazing, cheese made with cheese :D

Posted By

Luca
on 2006-09-06
12:13:39

Yeah, C, I read "MIDWAY 1942" text in MONITOR, but Reach for the SKY would be an obvious "quoting" of the famous "1942". Probably, in the final release, Gremlin stopped the Micro ppl's addon, due to their apprehension about copyright's facts.

Actually, must say, I'd seen how much free space the game code had... :O

Posted By

Chicken
on 2006-09-06
13:06:24

Oops, I should have checked, too happy It says "Midway 1942" SHAME ON C I just remembered that there was something. I guess my RAM is not static wink

Yes indeed, there's plenty o'space in it. Sadly, that's the case in many C16 games. Don't get me wrong, I admire tight coding but in many games there was something missing (e.g. music, a "nice" end screen, etc).

On the other side, there are some games which almost used every single free byte, e.g. Molecule Man (having a 97x97 level, lots of RAM used for that).

Posted By

Luca
on 2006-10-23
02:58:37

http://www.sfodb.com/imgout.php?picture=1165512167

LOAD"ELITE"!!!
We must find it, absolutely! >

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2006-10-23
11:27:21

I'm afraid that appears to be incorrect, as it also gives instructions for the non-existant BBC/Acorn Electron version.

The Encore release has no mention of a C16 or BBC version. See this Encore advert:
ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/company-pics/Encore/Encore-ad.jpg

Posted By

Luca
on 2006-10-23
12:00:46

...and under Encore label you can't see Saboteur, neither for C16 nor for +4, though they both exist.
Hey, what the most sure, a missing text or an existing one? wink

Anyway, the mystery continues...

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2014-03-04
11:09:55

Found in the German Magazine Happy Computer 3/87