Code Type:Machine code
Distribution:Commercial/PD
Thrust Screenshot

Posted By

George
on 2023-09-16
13:29:42
 Re: Thrust

Thrust is a really great and timeless game! It's the prove that a basic game idea can be independent of the plattform. Beautifully simple and challenging.

I gave the C-16 game some love it deseves and made a video about it:

Video: https://youtu.be/q-rLxgjTL80

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-09-17
03:14:35

Thank you! Nice video! What a challenging game! But really one of the better versions.

Just to add here:
C64: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQkf_H8zejU
Atari ST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfZtfkXkwPE

I prefer the Atari ST YM2149 version, feel more dynamic and melodic at the same time.
Maybe with DigiMoooZ will become a possibility? :-)

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-09-17
03:03:17

I left a comment. grin

The BBC version is the original, and the C16/Plus4 version does a super job of bring that home, great version and love it.

I hate the C64 version though! It looks ugly and the sound effects are meh. The only good points are the loading screen and Rob Hubbard's title screen tune. Sure the C16/Plus4 original release might flicker but I would rather play that than the C64 one! wink

I used to play the BBC version at school on the rare occasion our Maths teacher would let us use the computer, long before it came out on C16/Plus4. I so wanted the game and never thought it would see the light of day, not when we were getting stuff like Runner and Ninja Master. grin

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-09-17
03:37:58

BBC Micro has really better effects than the C64 version, those puny shoot sounds happy , and no sound at all when you finished your quest.

But the C16 version not only flashing, but during display scroll it has a little stuttering too. From physics point of view it looks a better version, and surely the ship better fits to the screen than on Atari XL.

ATARI ST version looks to be the most faithful conversion, smooth and nice, while the Amgia version seems to be a homemade, but not so great one. It flickers more than the C16 version happy and the physics seems to be meh

Posted By

George
on 2023-09-17
11:13:21

@MIK Thank you for the comment!
Doing the research i was surprised that the BBC version is the original version. Firebrid licensed the games ported it to the C64 which was released 6 weak earlier than the BBC version happy

None the less the C16 version (2009) is still a little flickery but when playing you are so focused, that you really don't notice.
The 2009 version has full Joystick support on Port 1 while the 1987 version supports Joystick on Port 2 and i think fire and tractor-beam are keybord still.

The Atari Version has no thrust noise by the way. How could they miss this?

Thrust on the C16 is an excellent game for 1.99 Pounds.

This could be nice challenge for the community to level this game up like "Stunt Car Racer".

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-09-18
05:39:06

@George

At the start of the video below, have a listen to what a dedicated BBC video creator says about it's release. wink

BTW, watch this guy complete level 1, very funny!! grin
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0yWkAs9YXc

Posted By

Rüdiger
on 2023-09-18
11:52:34

Nice video George

But I see it is controlled with joystick? Is there a joystick version of Thrust?

Posted By

George
on 2023-09-18
16:31:55

Thank you @Rüdiger

The 2009 version has full Joystick support on Port 1.

@MIK great video, thanks for the link!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-09-18
16:11:19

I was happy that you mentioned that in the video. There was already a forum thread for Thrust here, which is related to the "new" version. (Now it's linked, so that discussion is not lost happy If you guys see forum threads which are about specific programs, please link them to the program in question.)

Posted By

George
on 2023-09-18
16:21:37

@Csabo You are welcome. I don't know how complicated it is, but you could insert the old discussion in front of this here for continuity sakes.

Posted By

Rüdiger
on 2023-09-20
14:05:31

@George Thanks for the information about the 2009 version. I didn't know that it also included a joystick control, but it's not mentioned anywhere. Should we add.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2023-09-26
23:46:12

People forget to mention that the 2009 updated version is flicker-free.

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-09-27
03:00:27

@retroscener.

The revised version was logged on the official gamepage years ago for all to see...

It does however feel slightly broken because of the scrolling fix lol. grin
The gun turrets have become lame in the revised version. They are more aggressive and will bite you in the commercial release which is true to the original BBC Micro version. And if your a diehard and a bit of a Jedi Master of the game, (see Hall of Fame) the commercial release is the only one I will play! happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024