Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2009-11-13
11:12:57
 New Version Of Thrust!

ThrustWe have some great new contributions to the site, from none other than Matt Young, who coded the C16 port of the classic Thrust!

Apparently Thrust was originally released with a bug in the scrolling, and although Matt was able to fix it, this version never saw the light of day...until now! Having transferred his original code off his 5.25" disks, he has released a revised version of Thrust, which not only has greatly improved scrolling, but also includes built-in cheats for infinite lives and fuel, as well as invulnerability and a level select!

And if that's not enough, he has also released the game's source code as well!

Both downloads are on the Thrust page. Many thanks to Matt for all this stuff, enjoy!

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-11-13
11:12:57
 New Version Of Thrust!

This is great news happy And double checking... It's not April 1st wink

Csabo:
I clicked on "Be the first to comment". Shouldn't there be a topic automatically?

Edit:
Ah, I see, it automatically copies the original news item... cool :)

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-11-13
14:23:53
 Re: New Version Of Thrust!

Wow, definitely a big surprise, but a welcome one. Thrust is very high up there on the true ClassiX list. Nice to see the scrolling fixed happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2009-11-13
14:35:29

Yummy surprise! I'm playing it again rite now.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2009-11-13
16:16:11

Wow, jawdropper surprise! Any chance for an interview? happy The scrolling was actually pretty advanced of its time, it used FF1D/FF1F writes if I recall correctly.

Posted By

MIK
on 2009-11-14
03:04:58

As Gaia says!! I am totally gob smacked!!!!!!!

Thrust is a Legend of a game on c16 as it was in it's original form. If we had Ace +4 we had Thrust. happy

I played Thrust for the first time on the BBC micro's at school and I fell in love with the new gravity spaceship shooter. I never imagined it to be released on C16/plus4 but one weekend I went into town and it was there on the shelf. Gaming Gold had arrived on the C16/Plus4 and I was in shock then as I am of the news we have today!!!! Thrust sat proud next to the likes of Tom Thumb in my library. In fact I bought it twice because the turbo loader used was a real pain. It was on a very fine line if it would load or not.
The flashing/bumping scrolling was excepted because we had seen a lot of titles with this kind of issue and you knew in the back of your mind the whole screen was in motion. It was awesome as it was!

And now this WOW!!!! happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2009-12-08
15:50:21

I have just found out that Matt not only released our gem, but a real isometric GTW ("games that weren't") for the C64 here:

http://gtw64.retro-net.de/Pages/t/Review_Thebubbler.php

By the looks, it would be more or less a straightforward port for a trained converter veteran happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2011-11-11
06:47:01

Man these bots can now speak. Sad...

(Edit) some one kindly removed the spam. ;-)

Posted By

Visitor
on 2011-11-11
14:44:26

Now you can find "The Bubbler" here:

http://www.gtw64.co.uk/Pages/t/Review_Thebubbler.php

According to the write-up it uses sprites only for the panel which is not essential for the gameplay. Speeding up could be done by a smaller screen size.
Or maybe even by placing the actual gamefield in a charset? Haven't counted pixels but it kinda looks like it could fit.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024