Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-07-20
13:03:42
 Re: Doug Turner

What the...

No way!!! Sorry for the late reply as I have been under the weather my self.
I'm very sorry and totally gutted to hear Doug Turner has past away! My eyes started to glaze over with sadness just reading all these posts... Can't believe what I'm reading. sad

Doug was a Legend to many a Plus/4 user back in the day thanks to his awesome Icicle Works on Commodore Plus/4. In the UK, if you were lucky enough to get a Plus/4 that Christmas back in 1985 with the 11 bundled games from Commodore it was Icicle Works that you spoke about on the school playground as the best game! grin Icicle Works was a solid and highly polished gem that would become fondly remembered not only for it's Xmas theme but because it was so slick and fun to play. And the guy that composed the music did an amazing job, the Square Wave tone fitted the game perfectly. happy

Everything Doug did on C16/Plus4 was professional, of exceptional quality and also came as a stiff challenge but a challenge that would always keep you coming back for more! I think Doug was a master of this with all his games. Fingers Malone was one of his more challenging titles regarding the difficulty level and even if most of us never completed it I loved it and loaded it more times than I can remember hoping to get a little further each time! Fingers Malone under all the eye candy, (superb graphics) was a very unique take on the classic game Pac Man believe it or not. Prospector Pete another class act and the perfect pick up and play budget game, and to think of the 40 Mastertronic titles released for C16/Plus4 he wrote two of the good ones. happy

And yeah Doug's graphics were amazing! The coal miner guy in the game The Pit is one of the coolest characters ever on our machine. I would of loved to of seen a Platform game that used him in that Manic Miner or Tom Thumb type of way - I can dream. And the fact Doug signed off with the game The Pit was a dream come true and something very special indeed..., one of the Legends from back in the day had come back to grace us with their magical coding talents and it not only captured the essence of yesteryear but managed to squeeze more graphics, music and modern day features beyond what we thought was possible with 64k in a Rockman game! Doug's The Pit after all these years away from the old 8bit computers was just as awesome as his games that came before it and another gem that will last the test of time! happy

As for the music in the game The Pit, I did the title screen tune. If that is one of the tunes you want to use at his funeral please feel free, it would be an honor. I'm glad he liked it and I was blown away when he thought it good enough to use on title screen! I so wanted to do more with it but ill heath prevented me from doing so sadly.

Thanks for letting us know Eddie and very sorry Doug is not of this world any more!! He will be remembered for as long as I can breath and that's true for many of us!

RIP Doug and many thanks for your awesome games!!!! cheers

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024