Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-10-14
08:20:12
 Freescapades In The 3rd Dimension

FreescapedCreating a game with the Plus/4 version of 3D Construction Kit has always been difficult due to the various bugs sadly diffused into the whole suite. Freescaped brings together four Freescape games from C64, just to see how the Plus/4 3DCK compiler behaves if some code is added to overcome the eventual problems raising up. Once the KIT-DATA of a certain game has been candidated to be compiled, the coding fight against all the strange flaws begins, then it's time to make it NTSC compatible, to convert the color palette room by room, to modify the bitmap border in order to handle a 2nd fixed color's limitations, to convert eventual ingame music both on SID and FRQ converter, and possible any others.

The four chosen games: the original 3D Construction Kit Demogame distributed with the original kit and released as alone runnable game on Plus/4, now with the right border graphics and labels; "A Chance In Hell" by Steven Flanagan, a very busy game for the Freescape engine mainly designed for the emulation, with music by Richard Bayliss; "Cyborg 2900" by Marcel Smuz, with its long and elaborate prologue in a cinematic fashion; "Escape From Zaphod" created by by Richard Bayliss (again).

Freescaped by Luca/FIRE: four easy games to test 3D Construction Kit Plus/4. With heartfelt thanks to www.3dconstructionkit.co.uk by Stuart Wilson, the homepage whose work of preserving these and other games will never be recognized as much as it should.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-10-14
08:20:12
 Re: Freescapades In The 3rd Dimension

Great release, awesome polished intro happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-10-14
08:54:00

Csabo thank you! happy As a mere case study, the four games were ready, when I've seen you intro of Kayleth and fallen in love with your proportional charset screen, so I decided I wanted one too happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-10-14
09:49:28

Crazy amounts of work getting 4 new games up and running, kudos!

The one game that comes to mind from others talking about it back in the day who had C64/Amstrad CPC was Driller which was like the next big thing after Mercenary - Escape From Targ. I'm not asking for Driller, just wondering if that is also possible with this construction kit?

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-10-14
10:03:52

MIK thank you...hey but we actually have Driller since 1990! And Dark Side...and all the others, as you can see on the Series' window on top of any of thes entries! grin

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-10-14
10:20:51

Haha! grin

My bad, I totally forgot Driller was already on Plus/4! rollup. Forgive me Pigmy wink

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-10-15
14:44:05

We badly need a coprocessor for floating point calculation happy
OFF: Did you know that the AMD's very first product was the cooprocessor for Intel and even Intel bough from them their built-in one?

update: a great collection, and especially nice interface! Congrats!

(I have to mention, going further to ESC button collides with the emulator's behaviour, as it also wants to exit, maybe some of the function buttons would be better solution (maybe)).

Posted By

Mad
on 2021-10-14
18:16:58

Wow this is absolutely incredible.. I did know about the version from Csory, but a final fixup and data loading improvement is really some kind of final polish this technical marvel needs! Congrats!!

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2021-10-15
13:26:35

I just LOVE that classy main screen. It oozes outstanding style. Bravo!

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-10-15
13:32:51

Ooh thank you gerliczer happy I'd used to appreciate the screen miniatures style since the end credits in Amiga Mania, so I tried to evocate'em grin

Posted By

aNdy/Cosine
on 2021-10-15
13:57:30

Oh! Thank you very much. Something nice to tinker with tonight!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024