Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2020-01-15
14:20:43
 Impossible Mission * 3

First off, don't get excited - we don't really have Impossible Mission for Plus/4. Now, with that out of the way, what we do have are some genuine Plus/4 oddities, three of them in fact. Read on, if you're interested.

Let's start with the first one: Impossible Mission. I wouldn't want to use the word "garbage" to describe a piece of software, but in this case it might be appropriate. Here we have a short BASIC program, 17 lines, which prints some text, inputs a string, and resets. So what gives? Back in the day (pre 90's), there was no internet, all we had were envelopes mailed to each other with cassettes and lists. Some enterprising (or mischievous) soul must have created this, and it started spreading. Who wouldn't want Impossible Mission? It probably works, you just need the code!... Well, we now know better.

Round two: Impossible Mission (Mr. Soft), this being the reason for this little editorial. It's a new cover and TAP file we got from Lacus. It's yet another Italian hack, we have our fair share of them. Imagine buying this at the store (or at the newsstand?), taking it home, loading it up on your computer, only for it to turn out to be... Raffles. Ugh, what a letdown. It's nice to have this in our database though (thanks, Lacus!)

And finally: Impossible Mission. This appears to have been the real deal, key phrase being "have been". It was a game written by a young Hungarian developer, taking 2nd place in a competition, but unfortunately this game is lost. Click the link for more info.

There we have it; garbage, hack, lost. If you really want to play, better load up A-07 or perhaps Rózsaszín Párduc - or pick a different platformer.

Posted By

siz
on 2020-01-16
14:21:59
 Re: Impossible Mission * 3

I'd be really glad if the author could dig up anything about that Impossible Mission. Perhaps even the cassette still exists somewhere and there is a slight chance to recover it. Well one can always dream...

Posted By

Lavina
on 2020-01-16
15:18:17

This would be one of the biggest and hardest find ever. This is exciting! I am happy to fund the search with 5000 HUF if it helps happy

Posted By

Lacus
on 2020-01-16
23:39:51

I think he is that guy: (private)

Posted By

Luca
on 2020-01-17
02:05:38

Lacus I've tried to contact him via Messenger since days, no asnwer yet :/

Posted By

Lacus
on 2020-01-17
02:26:12

Let's a wait a little bit.

Posted By

Verona
on 2020-01-18
11:11:52

I think, if you have find that guy, he doesn't have that game yet. Maybe, it's easier if some team will make a conversion.
Yes, I'm understand, that this program from the past has got greater value as a piece of Plusy's history.

Posted By

Lacus
on 2020-01-19
02:48:24

We managed to contact the author of plus/4 version and he promised to share it if he finds it.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2020-01-19
08:28:00

I got the same response as well via email. Fingers crossed! happy

Posted By

Lavina
on 2020-01-19
09:57:12

Maybe link this forum thread to show the interest. wink

Posted By

RoePipi
on 2020-01-20
12:29:58

Even if he finds the tape and its quality isn't good enough to be retrieved, let's keep it for the future. With quantum computers and (real) A.I., we will be able to restore the original contents someday.

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-01-20
17:27:25

I hope that nice gem will pop up soon.

OFF
Based on the scanned mag, Karoly made his second impact with a HT Word Processor, after he made on Plus/4 the Impossible Mission.
Nice!
(Karoly won a Primo computer... Well, it was the very first computer I literally programmed at age 9. The keyboard was really interesting (at least): sometimes no contact, sometimes printed dozens of characters at the same time) - it was a capacitive sensor, and worked in the same was as the current smartphones and tables, unfortunately was less reliable. Far ahear of it's time happy )
Fun fact, that some of these maxchines could utilize Commodore's IEC floppy drives.

GAIA also developed an emulator here, called Ultimo. Anyone interested?:
OFF http://primo.homeserver.hu

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024