Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

emu
on 2018-10-13
20:34:40
 Knight Lore WIP

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that I'll be converting my C64 port of Knight Lore onto the Plus4 soon.

It shouldn't take too long but if anyone wants to work on the TED music & sfx for me it will speed the process up considerably. If not it's not a problem as I'll do a midi conversion of the Spectrum music but I'm sure there are a number of you out there who could do a much better job on the music than I can! (my music skills are poor at best!). I will include a Sid Card version of the game as well which will feature the C64 versions music & sfx.

Please let me know what you think and I'll keep you posted on the progress of the conversion and sorry in advance but I can only spare about 4k for the music & sfx.

Many thanks.

Posted By

PaulK
on 2018-10-14
06:27:45
 Re: Knight Lore WIP

This would be great. Knightlore is a great game. I remember mapping all the rooms out and did my own version using Darkbasic Pro a long time ago. Had a character that looked like Johnny Baravo and would change into a skeleton each full moon. Never quite finished it but still have it somewhere.

Posted By

Luca
on 2018-10-15
11:08:11

The readers of Lone News must be awared of this great multisystems conversion, as it has been reported in the news chapter of Lone News 21 (just a word for the non readers among the scene: ppppppprrrrrrr! :P grin ). I was quite sure Saul Cross would have taken this trouble again, just like the fantastic Gunfright...

I would have proposed myself for this; unfortunately, I know that some hard times are awaiting around the corner in the very next days for my family, hence I can't guarantee my presence from beginning to the end, I can only do my own stuff when I know how to use my time. I had to say the same some weeks ago, once called in for another game project, with all my regrets

Apart of this, you may declare the overall load requested for the audio making: direct conversions or original sound? How many songs/jingles? How many sfx?
And again: is a particular music player required? I'm asking this because many of us are used to compose music with Knaecketraecker, but (me and Mad have discussed this recently) the Knaecketraecker's player still has some difficulties in resetting and replay (that's the reason why in all the Bauknecht's games, the music is completely loaded anew any time!).
And again, a question I've just formulated in my mind when carrion asked for the same, for this project: when you ask for some sfx, are you also asking for a code which plays sfx, or do you just have an environment by yourself, where a composer can fill numbers to achieve some sfx?

Posted By

Mad
on 2018-10-15
11:19:22

Luca is completely right. "We" are just using Knaecketracker but reload the player routine on every music change or level switch.. If we are lucky some day, Degauss will implement a clean songswitch functionality in Knaecketracker, currently there is a ?lot? of selfmodifying code which relies on the current song in memory. If you load another song currently the best thing would be to also reload the player routine, currently. Could be that I never told this to Ingo but I think I already did.

If all songs are at the same place in memory all the time Knaecketracker can actually be used, the only thing is that you could have leftover notes from the last played song directly at the starting of a new song.

If you change the songs or the memory layout on the fly, there can be actually quite heavy bugs and crashes.. However this didn't prevent me personally from using Knaecketracker since it provides a third voice for sfx and reloading the player just takes a glimpse of an eye if you use Bitfire or Krills loader.

Hope you will find a propper musician soon. $1000 should be possible for player and song.. (TedZacker/Knaecketracker)

Posted By

emu
on 2018-10-15
12:30:41

Thanks for all your feedback.

No, as far as I'm aware Saul doesn't do TED music. Also, he is not taking on any new projects currently so that's a no go. I did the P4 Gunfright & Pentagram music.

I need to use a stable and fast player that can also playback sfx. So I plan to use Tedzakker. I also have a number of instruments I used for sfx in Gunfright/Pentagram in Tedzakker format which can be re-used for Knight Lore as well.

I will probably start work on the TED music in about 3 weeks time so if anyone wants to contribute some music in Tedzakker format for this game then please let me know before then. If not, it's not a problem, I will work on it myself.

Many thanks.

Posted By

Luca
on 2018-10-15
13:29:47

emu: the TEDzakker tool is a real sore point to me, I have a little game ready since years (literally!) and at the time I decided to learn to use TEDzakker in order to compose an ingame tune...and I've never had the nerves to afford it! So I stupidly continued to compose in Knaecketraecker and (!) TLCplay; at least, I added a little sfx engine, absolute first attempt to me. It's now time to afford TEDzakker (I hope so), so let's see what happens in the next weeks.
Anyway, again: how many jingles/sfx do you need?

Mad: I had some success in restarting the Knaecketraecker's files by zeroeing the $1A long area where it writes stuff for the TED addresses, but it still fails after some volume controls for certain tunes in weird conditions. As an example, try to restart the ending tune from Pets Rescue, playing it till the final loop with the sfx; you can set to zero that area, then restart the music from the beginning: some instruments remain to sustain zero.

Posted By

emu
on 2018-10-15
17:46:05

Ok, this is what is needed:

Music:
Title Music.
Game Start. (I've had a request to try to make the game starting music sound like the Spectrum version as it's "iconic" !)
Game Over.
Game Completed.

SFX: (* Can re-used Gunfright/Pentagram sfx)
Enemy walk
Click
Crash *
Ghost move
Spirit move
Block move
Fire ball move
Scale up
Scale down
Bounce
Pick up extra life
Man generated
Man killed
Man transformed
Man jump *
Man drop object *
Man walk *

Posted By

Luca
on 2018-10-16
02:10:53

I've given a run to the C64 OST, which seems to feature 4 tunes/jingles unrelated with previous original versions of the game, and a silent track in the end. Anyway, it does not seem to be a looooong work to do: apart of the title music, which might be as long as the composer wants, we're talking about 3 short jingles and a bunch of sound effects. If I'd got time and have learned how to TEDzakker this...because at this point I doubt in reliability regarding Knaecketraecker when used from others but Mad :/

Posted By

emu
on 2018-10-16
17:47:27

Thanks Luca,

If you have time then please do it, if not don't worry I'll find another way.

I'll leave it up to you if you want to try to copy the C64 tunes or the Spectrum tunes. All that has been requested is that we make the short game starting tune (the second tune) sound like the Spectrum one.

Posted By

Luca
on 2018-10-17
02:34:15

D'you mean this 9 notes jingle?

Posted By

Doug
on 2018-10-17
14:09:35

@mad: I had similar issues with some weird crashes that I put down to KP. I plan to fix with a 'reset' FN that puts all KP's self modded values back to their defaults. There aren't too many. I've had some success already modding KP. For instance I can now fade the master volume up and down smoothly on level entry/exit. I don't think you necessarily need to brute force reload it to change tune, though that clearly will work too happy.

Posted By

emu
on 2018-10-17
16:44:11

@Luca, Yes that’s the one, it’s iconic apparently!

Posted By

Mad
on 2018-10-17
18:17:23

@Doug: If you fixed Knaecketracker then I surely would be interessted in the fixed player... The volume ramping also is a nice feat I would love to have.. Sounds like you did a task that I never dared to start with happy... If you got a final just notify it here or somewhere... I am extremely interessted happy..

Posted By

Doug
on 2018-10-18
12:10:06

@Mad - sure, I'll certainly share when I'm done! I'd like to do more testing, and I've got a couple of other ideas to try as well. The crashes I was seeing were very random, so I won't feel confident until I've not seen one for a while.

Posted By

Luca
on 2018-10-18
12:32:12

Of course, I'm interested too...but now OH PLEASE SOMEONE KICK ME TO LEARN TEDZAKKER!

Posted By

Degauss
on 2018-10-23
07:10:05

About Knaecketraecker. Don't be mad at me, i will try to give an update as some sort of a christmas present....

Posted By

Luca
on 2018-10-23
07:22:13

Degauss: how to be mad about you? Knaecketraecker is a milestone in any case! wink

Posted By

Luca
on 2018-10-30
03:15:38

emu: how's going right there? For a similar issue about the game Majikeyric has just finished to convert on Plus/4, I suggested him the usage of MConv V1.6 frq converter in order to reuse the same SID file, and keep the SIDcard recognition (moving the SID registers to $FD40, we have converters to do that duty too...) into the same code too. I dunno if you have $0400 to spend for the inclusion of this code, tho... :/
Again, which are your times about? I'm asking this because all the sfx/jingles appear to be quite easy to reproduce in TED, not a big job at all, so maybe it could be done native on TED with very little effort, taking as a hint the C64 SID file...

Posted By

emu
on 2018-10-30
07:22:04

Thanks Luca, that looks very interesting. I might well use it when the time comes. Anything that saves time will be very useful!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024