Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

carrion
on 2018-04-24
15:58:46
 Laura - proof of concept project

Do you know Laura?
IMO the best game released for Atari 8 bit computers in last years.

The original Atari game can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDmEcb7qEmA

The video below is a test (a proof of concept if you will) I coded on last few days to see if it’s doable and how difficult it could be to do this kind of game on C264 family of computers.
I’m not saying I start porting Laura to Commodore, but who knows…
Here's quick video of my code running on emulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmdunGBm7c0

Posted By

theruler
on 2018-04-25
04:48:30
 Re: Laura - proof of concept project

I've never seen that game before, I am actually a noob about Atari 8-bit machines. The game looks quite good and seems to be pretty funny.
Keep up the good work, the proof is very interesting!

Posted By

Luca
on 2018-04-25
05:24:20

Good first approach, Carrion, hope this will take you to an advanced beta soon! Oh btw...VICE? Really? My suggestion is to never never never use the unfaithful VICE xplus4 emulator.

Posted By

RKSoft
on 2018-04-25
07:10:15

I do not know about this game, so i saw the youtube video you posted. Nice game. After that, i took a look into the video of your alpha(?) port and it looks amazing. Please report more about your port. I hope you finalize it happy

Posted By

Majikeyric
on 2018-04-25
07:31:37

I agree with RKSoft ! Great start ! happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2018-04-25
12:09:05

As everyone else above me said, I haven't heard of this game either. From the short clip of the original, it doesn't look like there would be any hurdles to write a game like this (or port it directly) to the Plus/4. Pretty standard stuff. One thing I wanted to note is that the way the scroll lags seems very annoying.

Nevertheless, I'm happy to see your proof of concept happy Hope you don't give up and turn it into a full release.

Posted By

Mad
on 2018-04-25
16:57:35

quite cool for a first try! Curious what will happen later on! happy It seems 6502 Assembler isn't a hard language at all.. Keep on!! happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2018-04-25
17:27:59

Looking good carrion, best of luck! happy

Not seen the game before but reminds me of Chips Challenge - Atari Lynx.
The 8bit versions of Chips Challenge I feel were rushed out, not as good as they could of been...

Posted By

carrion
on 2018-05-11
09:45:23

@all
thanks for kind words. as you see its only POC by now. But 'm talking to programmer of the original Atari game about sharing some code and ofcoz resources so I don't have to rip them like I did fir this test. The Laura game is popular lately in Poland as it was developed here and Atari community is quite strong here. Author says it's a mixture of Robbo and Boulder Dash which kind of shows

@Luca
Vice bacause I code it on Mac OS and so far the vice is sufficient as no hardware intensive code is in place. but I'll switch to windows and Yape soon.

@Mad
I did some small 6502 coding before so It's not new to me. C+4 hardware specs is on the other hand something I still have to master.

@MIK
I just have heard of Chips Challange lately 9(in TheRetroHour podcast last week wink ) and I have to see it what it is exactly.

As said I'll work a bit with original programmer of Atari game to see what can be reused then I'll decide if/how to progress with the game. There is some simple AI to the aliens in later levels which I think could be a challange for me to code.
I will definitively ask some coding questions here too, so coders - be prepared happy
Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Forum wants me to edit this post :( and apparently links don't work from edited post here you are:

I have some progress to the game engine.
Check it out at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Q_H-hDfqs

Posted By

Csabo
on 2018-05-11
14:22:56

Nice progress! happy

Posted By

RKSoft
on 2018-05-12
09:49:52

Really nice. The scrolling needs some work i think. And, i would use a lighter green for background/grass wink. Keep up your work. Its fantastic. happy

Posted By

Patrick
on 2018-05-12
11:46:55

nice, i like the music, soo we get SID support?

the titlescreen looks good to me!!

Posted By

carrion
on 2018-07-11
12:26:36

@RKSoft
no SID support - sorry this is just an example for the video on YT not be silent happy

and btw:
I uploaded new preview. This new version has soft scroll and screen split Thanks to BSZ and Lavina who helped me coding this thing.
I also added color map and basic functionality like moving stones, and exploding mines.
I can say the level 1 is now playable. woohoo wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VggO_ysU1HA

Posted By

Lavina
on 2018-07-11
14:29:38

Good progress, I'm happy. Btw. I'm just the middle man and translator, the code is from BSZ wink

Posted By

Mad
on 2018-07-11
18:33:34

Great!! Nice improvement with the colormap! Looks way better already! Nice to see, that you got well with this splitscreen issue.. Impressive work!

Posted By

RKSoft
on 2018-07-12
09:45:42

Really nice progress. I like the new colors and the soft scrolling. Keep up your work. It looks fantastic and i would like to play this game more and more. happy

Posted By

KiCHY
on 2018-10-24
11:15:32

Semi-offtopic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9F-wq8NnhQ&fbclid=IwAR3tFDgEO0xsysYStmxcV-zmNBbHAH8_-8bzzZkEDcvVViBojaHgEci-GJY

Posted By

carrion
on 2018-10-24
12:36:06

@KiCHY
yeah. the guy who developed it is on our Polish C64 forum. He did that game in C (?!?)
and I think he stopped working on it. I tried to convinvce him (and will do again) to maybe change the graphics for title screen. I prepared screens already for my port for C+4 (from original Atari pics) so they are actually ready.
I think this is his first attempt at game coding (if Im not mistaken) and he appeared after I announced working on my port.

So if you ask me about my port status update - well we have X2018 soon and I focused on it for last 5 months. will get back to Laura C+4 port I think later this year.

Posted By

bubis
on 2018-10-24
14:46:43

The last 5 months, all the X demos will be full of your stuff? happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024