Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2017-10-17
12:23:33
 Rocking In The Swamp

Metal FrogWe at Plus/4 World are absolutely out of words for this one, it turned all of us into stone. More precise: into rocks.

We are only able to write down some sparse keywords: Metal Frog, Mermaid, Genesis Project, PETSCII, Plain PETSCII Graphics Competition 2017.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2017-10-17
12:23:33
 Re: Rocking In The Swamp

Gosh darn it, that is just brilliant. Absolutely fantastic PETSCII art.

Posted By

bubis
on 2017-10-17
12:28:12

And there are much more.

Posted By

carrion
on 2017-10-17
12:46:21

Amazing job!
Please check out another one by Mermaid. The one with penguines. For me its new dimension of PETSCII. Trully amazing.
Oh and it shows huge potential of 264 familly

Posted By

Mad
on 2017-10-17
13:18:42

Truly awesome! I especially like the work with the colors here. It almost seems like a well crafted hires picture, if you overlook the blocky colors. The ferns in the background almost look like non petscii ones.

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-10-17
13:28:19

Really brilliant job! His T-shirt is like mine grin

(and that PETSCII compo had really strong entries!)

Posted By

George
on 2017-10-17
15:36:29

Just amazing!

Posted By

Luca
on 2017-10-18
02:05:13

I have joined the 2013 edition. And no, I'm not so good at it as Mermaid unfortunately happy, I also tried to show some perspective stuff but almost failed with it, being ranked 23rd on 106 (oh well, not so bad, in the very end...), so I invite all of you to send in your PETSCII art before the deadline (23 October)...in 16 colours only grin

Posted By

bubis
on 2017-10-18
05:18:23

What tools are out there on Plus/4 for this kind of stuff?

Posted By

Luca
on 2017-10-18
06:18:58

PETSCII!

Posted By

carrion
on 2017-10-18
07:32:43

... and I know i already asked i here one but forgot in which thread it was.
what are the tools on PC? There was one for converting and one for PETSCII drawing if I'm not mistaken.
TIA

Posted By

Degauss
on 2017-10-18
08:26:17

yes!

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-10-19
14:24:51

Well, that 2013 series was very strong too, especially with two brilliant Mermaid releases!

BTW Luca, I have never understood, why they downvoted those fantastic b*tts!
I really liked your GFX and the perspective (ehehe...)

Unfortunately we cannot use and show our fantastic palette on such a compo...

Posted By

Marq
on 2017-10-19
16:05:10

BTW, I just made a Plus/4 version of my animation. Somewhat improved colors, but otherwise the same: http://csdb.dk/release/?id=159681

Posted By

Luca
on 2017-10-19
16:18:49

Oooh come one, that's so cute! <3 happy Cosmic Bakery
I'm gonna announce it right now on the Facebook group, and tomorrow as news (in order to not overlap'em on the same day).

Posted By

Marq
on 2017-10-19
16:45:35

Here's anothert: "Flickery Flowers of Spring" for the Plus/4, http://csdb.dk/release/index.php?id=159708. Originally a flickering two-page fake color piccy for the C-64, which was easy to convert to a lot more stable Plus/4 version.

Posted By

Luca
on 2017-10-19
17:47:46

Flickery Flowers Of Spring included too, thank you! happy

Posted By

Mad
on 2017-10-19
19:02:27

Cute bakery and flowery flowers. Nice ones! happy

Posted By

Marq
on 2017-10-20
16:06:15

One more! "Calaveritas" looks more like I wanted it with Plus/4 colors: http://csdb.dk/release/index.php?id=159830

Posted By

blinddarm
on 2017-10-21
04:35:03

really looks f*cking brilliant ! Also the penguins...big thump up !

Posted By

George
on 2017-10-21
13:31:07

;)

Posted By

Luca
on 2017-10-21
13:26:29

By hand but following an outline I guess wink

Posted By

George
on 2017-10-21
13:36:09

If you say so, master, but I see nothing wrong with that. The emphasis lied on "pixeld by hand" not converted for our system.

Posted By

Luca
on 2017-10-21
15:16:41

Me neither, I see nothing wrong too, love your Joan, why do you remove it? :(

Posted By

George
on 2017-10-21
15:58:28

Because I thought, you tried to make fun of it and try to embarasse me by posting the original picture. Sorry for the missunderstanding. I love "Joan" too happy

The poor and simple Petscii-Conversion was made free hand with this Online-Editor at this adress http://petscii.krissz.hu/. Took me about 3 hours. I have great respect for the talents of the artists in real contest.

A little history about the "Joan"-picture:
'Joan' was my second picture ever made at my beginnings for the plus/4. At that time i really knew nothing about graphic-modes and converters. My first step was to strip the picture down to the black outlines at a 320x200 High-Resolution. Since the Plus/4 has the double pixel restriction in Multicolor-mode i loaded the draft in Csabo's Editor and redraw every line again by hand and added the colors. I pixeled about a week at this.

Later when i knew about the right tools, i did it the finetuning with the Istvan's converter. This would of course never be possible without the help and advice of all the members in this forum.

Posted By

Mad
on 2017-10-21
17:31:32

The Petscii one looks cool! The colored one would be a major coolness for some game or something. I mean it should be easy to have this graphic style used in a whole game, too!

Posted By

George
on 2017-10-22
04:00:42

I refined Joan a little. Suprizing what you can do with some characters... I hope you like it.

Posted By

RKSoft
on 2017-10-22
08:52:20

@George
Looking good! happy

@all
I'm surprised how looking good PETSCII images will be. But i think it is hard to make such pictures with it or?

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-10-22
11:28:43

@George,
The bluish version is really good! And every Captain Future fan would recognise her at once!
I really like it. I knew how much efforts you put in those HIRES/MULTI pictures and now it become evident, that you can do a lot with plain PETSCII too (especially plus/4 has wider palette). Maybe I will try to convert some of your HIRES one into PETSCII happy

Actually within 1-2 hour you can make a good scetch. With 4-5 hours of work you can make something really good, if you are good. I am not so good, so for me it takes ~8-10 hours to make something recognizeable. happy

If I will be ready, I will send my black/white PETSCII to the contest (eh, C64 colors...), maybe to approach the last position, but I do not mind. I saw those releases, and AH!, OOOH! So I foresee my final ranking happy

Still I do not have the CSDB registration, so it will go by mail.
This is the first year I started to work with PETSCII, my plan is: step by step, year by year become better and better, so maybe 8 or 10 years I can release something could in the Top10 on such a compo...
Unfortunately everyone else develops himself/herself too happy

------------------------------------------------
Actually a PETSCII art focused modified charset could be a nice one, started to create in CBM PRG studio one.
Few shapes are missing for easy working, like: big rounded corner, thin or thicker lines on both sides (vertical and horizontal), crossed pattern texture for eg. armour, inversed fine/half shade and thin half lines at each side (this alone means 8 extra chars). Wth all these, creating an eye pattern or any other shape would be much easier.

If anyone wants to make professional arts in character mode for his own program, from the charset the ABCD.. characters should have been dropped and modified to more graphical characters. Would be a nice project to work out and standardize such a fontset for our scene, and maybe one more for the exteded background mode.

I was thinking about the extended background mode+PETSCII art too, how good it could be with modified charset on the first 64 positions (extra three background color with inverse chars, especially greys for shading).
(The CBM PrG Studio developer tried something with that, but unfortunately the test version mixed up the colors between the C64 and Plus/4).

As I just see, Krissz's PETSCII Editor v2.0 support the extended background, and can load in fontsets... (but still only C64)

Work in progress:

Posted By

George
on 2017-10-22
13:51:56

Fantastic artwork, MMS! Looks perfect even in this state. I am curious about the place in the contest. Is this done with the standard C64 charset?

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-10-22
15:05:17

Thanks, George!
Yes, this is 100% standard charset.

This is very close to the final stage, few small changes done here and there.
Actually a colorful one will be much more complex, and certainly gains more attention, but I had only 3days till end date, so I went to simplicity (and to tell the truth, I have very small time left on my PC as my kids play a lot Spore, and have a lot of task in the garden too. Feel myself like a peasant now

Posted By

Marq
on 2017-10-22
15:26:55

Start in the Plus/4 mode, load the image, export again and voilà: you have a Plus/4 version happy

Posted By

George
on 2017-10-22
17:33:14

The idea with eagle head and the black and white halfs is very original. I love it.

@rksoft: Your turn. Give your magic arcade-skills a try in Petscii-world.

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-10-22
17:34:05

I will do an anim gif about the creation, and you will see how many things I had to change during creation, and only the third of it was recorded happy
But it was fun. There are so MANY good eagle heads all around on the net... It was hard not choose any of them.

Posted By

Mad
on 2017-10-22
21:28:01

Wow this eagle looks amazing MMS! A great one already!

Posted By

Marq
on 2017-10-23
01:23:21

A couple more for the Plus/4: And Inside Them, Are New Grandmas (by Man/Fit) and Pöllöt herää yöllä (by my son).

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-10-23
07:01:11

@Marq: I really like thos ANIM PETSCIIs! I know there is a setting in the tool, but it needs more planning and concept than I usually have. happy
Congrats to Emil! A special touch-up is the bi-green trees, and the different coloured flowers.

My kids made the following last year (it is more an in-game picture than a stable picture, built up the graphical elements, stillthe second dragon was so big it did not fit)
The lack of my programming skills (collision detection, movements, animation, etc) and low time greaty delayed this nice "Dragon fight" project, though my kids drew the phases. But I want a kind of sprite-like movement to do not delete the background, etc. I think I set a too high the targets happy

Actually I think this kind of 100% PETSCII BASIC games may greatly benefit from a Compiler, like Autrospeed.

BTW thanks again for the tool! It is great, much easier to use than the others I tested.

Posted By

Mad
on 2017-10-23
10:51:35

Marq cool ones, especially the one by your son! MMS also nice Petscii stuff there by your kids happy! Very creative stuff!

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-10-24
11:44:29

BTW I just realized:
-The cloud looks like if the dino is smoking.
-Why a dino in a dragon game? happy
-There is a sword in the ground. Dino VS medieval sword: time traveller dino? happy
-Also there are a gold coins, that may fit to dragons age, but do not fit to dino age.

Yeah, for the kids all these are OK, and they really worked hard on these small details.
~10 different sized and coloured dragon types worked out, some with even with animating flames grin

It seems, than the new generation is coming to make the next games for our Plussy!
And this is good news, thanks for the new and very easy to use crossplatform tools.

Without mouse it is a headache for them to work in such an editor.

Posted By

George
on 2017-10-24
15:35:04

@ marc, mms: wonderful stuff from your kids. i love the fantasy.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024