Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2016-02-11
01:57:34
 Hugohunt!

HugohuntRetro-gamers rejoice: angelsoft is here with a new release! Some of you may have seen an early version of the game on the author's homepage, but today marks the official release.

Hugohunt is an action game, inspired by an Atari game. The mazes, ghosts, and 'pills' to be eaten give the game a 'Pac-man' feel, but this is a good game on its own right. It's superbly programmed: beautiful colors, nice music and sound effects, runs on a C16 and PAL/NTSC compatible. Not to mention it comes with a level editor and even a C64 version (see the author's notes on the reason behind this).

Don't delay: download it now and check it out. Be sure to give your feedback and send if your high scores to the Hall of Fame!

Posted By

Luca
on 2016-02-12
01:57:34
 Re: Hugohunt!

Loved it since its beta release. although simple is so clean neat and well presented that you can't miss to love it! Fantastic release, Jens, thank you so much!

Posted By

Litwr
on 2016-02-13
04:41:51

It reminds me Cuthbert In The Cooler. happy However I am a bit disappointed that Commodore+Run/Stop key combination doesn't work. The game crashed at the high scores screen - I couldn't make level 2.

Posted By

Luca
on 2016-02-13
05:13:43

Litwr I probably misunderstand what you're saying... Did the game really crash at the hiscore table? Did you check on a real C16 and you've spotted out a bug? What do you mean with "... Commodore+Run/Stop key combination doesn't work..."? Are you aware of the fact that the first file to load contains a PETSCII picture from $0800 and needs to be loaded with LOAD"*",8,1, even though the D64 also includes a straight loading version too? Please, write us more about your doubts...

I've uploaded the game on Pouët, in order to indirectly alert the C64 scene from a sort of neutral field, and promptly Genesis Project has released a +5D crack of the game :)

Posted By

Litwr
on 2016-02-13
05:55:28

I used HUGOHUNT.D64 disk image. I pressed C= key simultaneously with Run/Stop key and got "?FILE NOT FOUND ERROR". So I had to use "DLOAD"HUGOHUNT and then RUN. I had finished the level 1 but was finished at the level 2. Then the high scores screen appeared. I entered 5 letters and pressed ENTER - the computer ceased to respond.

Posted By

Luca
on 2016-02-13
06:48:28

Litwr it's your fault in both cases as I suspected. The first PRG in the D64 you can load is named "HUGOHUNT.8.1", and the name suggests, as I explained in the post before, you have to load with LOAD"*",8,1 just because that file doesn't begin at $1001, which is the address where a DLOAD" performed with C=+Run/Stop would load. "?FILE NOT FOUND ERROR" is because as you can see the author put some DEL files in the first place of the directory. Moreover, typing DLOAD"HUGOHUNT" you loaded the version without the splashscreen, which obviously begins at $1001. After you entered your name in the hiscore, you computer simply has taken its time to save the scores on disk, so wait a little then press space to turn back to title screen.

Posted By

Litwr
on 2016-02-13
09:43:40

Thank you. IMHO info about LOAD"...",8,1 should be well documented. I missed this information. I didn't write about C=+Run/Stop keys as about a bug I wrote about it as about an easy to fix inconvenience.
The problem with high scores only appears if LOAD"HUGOHUNT and RUN command sequence is used.

Posted By

angelsoft
on 2016-02-13
10:25:47

Hi Litwr,

you're right, I didn't test C=/RunStop autostart when packaging the D64 file. Here's a disk image that will work (I just put the version without splash screen to the top):
http://www.angel-soft.de/playable-games/hugohunt-auto.d64

When saving the high score there is no visual reaction so it might seem the computer hangs, esp. when saving to a real floppy. But after that there should be at least a sound indicating the saving is done.

Indeed, the guys from the Genesis Project are really quick. So if anyone needs a trainer mode, have a look at CSDb.dk...

Posted By

Litwr
on 2016-02-13
11:26:11

Thanks. happy It looks like an odd mystery. It still doesn't work. Maybe the problem is with plus4emu... Maybe the high scores problem is caused also by the emulator.
IMHO why don't use a loader like
10 load"hugohunt.8.1",8,1
as the first file on the disk?

Posted By

Chicken
on 2016-02-13
12:09:10

Shameless self-advertising:

Check out Megaboot Creator. It creates a boot file that works for most programs and allows various auto start methods, e.g. Pressing RUN/STOP+SHIFT, loading absolutely (",8,1) and even "L" from monitor. There's a docs file as well: Megaboot Creator Docs

I always wondered why this was only used in my releases wink It's old stuff but does the job in most cases with unequaled simplicity: No matter what the user does, it'll auto start.

Posted By

Luca
on 2016-04-22
10:43:02

Hugohunt reviewed in Retro Gamer 154.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024