02:33:40
 Re: Revival of interesting 'n' funny stuffs

fix the link pls!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-11-04
07:42:19

TedPlay totally needs this as an option! Also another a boatload of other stuff: display current freq. values, even go as far as translating them to corresponding notes, and displaying the notes being pressed on a piano keyboard.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2015-11-05
13:41:25

The source is public so everyone's welcome to implement it wink

Posted By

MMS
on 2016-07-24
14:35:41

Seems a little off (there will be a new Spectrum Next machine), but surprisingly our machine is mentioned at 3:19 too happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtOsPzwFmeM

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2016-09-08
03:07:00

Let me recommend you The Warp Zone, if you happen to never heard of them. They make quite decent a capella covers, funny music videos from popular songs' remixes, and part serious, part hilarious sketches.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2016-09-14
02:33:49

Rátkai István Interjú

EDIT: Warning! the above link points to a site that is in Hungarian. Furthermore, it's an interview about the Hungarian author of Hungarian Adventure games of Hungarian Language. Also, these adventures were originally programmed to Commodore 64 and only converted to Commodore Plus4 after that.

If you are not Hungarian and/or can't read Hungarian and/or don't really care about those legendary Adventure games and/or their Author then don't bother following the above link.

Posted By

czer
on 2016-09-10
07:10:05

Lavina,

It is probably interesting, but the language barrier makes it less than appealing for most of the site's visitors.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2016-10-01
03:55:20

UNCANNY VALLEY

Posted By

Lavina
on 2017-01-29
06:17:14

Who finds the Easter Egg first? happy) I shot this in one of the offices of my workplace.

https://s30.postimg.org/nlfea595d/DSC_0082.jpg

And this one is from Croatia.

Posted By

siz
on 2017-01-29
11:12:44

Found 'em. happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2017-01-29
15:51:14

The winner is siz, I found them too. The second was obvious happy This is the perfect opportunity for me to post these then:

Posted By

Lavina
on 2017-01-29
16:59:09

happy

Actually it was Gerliczer in a pm.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2017-01-29
20:34:16

Heh, mine must be harder, cause I haven't received any solutions. See, the secret is, if you look at the pictures very carefully, the name of famous Plus/4 sceners can be found on each one! wink

Posted By

JamesC
on 2017-01-29
21:00:44

@Csabo - I noticed that in your pictures, but didn't realize it was a "contest". I thought you were simply showing photos. :/

Posted By

Csabo
on 2017-01-30
08:02:11

It's not, just joking around happy But at least I hope they fall under the "interesting and/or funny" category.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2017-01-30
13:33:20

I think this is fun. happy

Some time ago I saw a Crown Cool logo somewhere on a fridge or freezer (or ice cream machine)

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2017-01-31
11:24:55

Did you know that two Hungarian guys are working on a SID player with waveconverter for the Enterprise computer?

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-02-27
19:45:45

Well, I also did not realize there is a need to vote/confirm. happy
Frankly speaking, all were evident except Lavina's second picture with Korak. Somehow I missed his (?) releases.

OK, an interesting find: in the 2017 John Wick2 there is a Commodore 8bit. Seems not switched on :-)

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-03-19
06:55:50

Well Istvan did it again happy

He (with the other guy mentioned too in the link below) programmed a SID emulator on the ZX Spectrum 128 machine playing the native SID musics via AY chip.
(UPDATE: gerlitzer: it is the same engine you mentioned working on Enterprise, but the DAVE chip has 4 independent PCM while AY had no such built-in feature )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr1r6FSrsz4

Very faithful sound with no extra HW involved, with only a slight sampling noise.

I suppose it works in the same way as the DigiSID player on Plus/4, and probably the ZX Spectrum had a little more processor power to execute the program than Plus/4 (when srceen is on).
Actually I do not know, how he made it on AY, as it has no real PCM, and the volume control also only 16 resolution, and it should sound worse than a 4bit DAC. But it sounds like a 6 or 7 bit DAC.
Or he may wrote a Viterbi routine to combine the three AY channel into one proper sound frequency?

Anyhow, nice work.

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-03-19
06:49:06

I just read the last release (#96) of Commodore Free, and checked one of the adverts, justmice.com.
(I had a business with them some years ago, when was looking for Microsoft's RS232 dark blue Home mouse).

Actually it seems they do not sell mouses, but it was interesting, that the Commodore section started with a Plus/4 picture.
Any why it is funny?
Because the mouse is still not fully utilized on our platform (though I found a SID player program that could use an 1351 connected into SID card):

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2017-03-20
14:09:33

@MMS: IstvanV answered your question in the EP forum:https://enterpriseforever.com/sound/sid-lejatszo/msg62796/#msg62796.

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-03-20
13:00:28

@gerliczer: thanks for link! Today I was in a hospital, so till I wait, I had some time to read it though.
Well, then the AY 3 channel works like 3 independent 4 bit DAC, and that is pretty nice.
(if you consider, that C64 has one 4bit, and Plus/4 has one 5 bit digi channel with tricks)

So probably thta's why they have better clarity: on Plus/4 we have to force all three SID channels with mixing into one 5bit DAC, while the AY converter has three 4 bit DAC.

OFF
BTW the 8bit DAC idea on Plus/4 User port could not be easier: I just need to modify the ready C64 Digimax circuit's connection to our User port to match to the 8 bit data pins' layout, the rest is the same.
But I found that circuit a little too complex and overdone...
(it uses 4 output IC to create a stereo one, though still the mono would be a challange to get used, even without multiplexed User port data outputs happy )

ZN428E latched DAC could be a little better than ZN426 resistor ladder, but I am not sure the real benefits, as on all the circuit diagrams put the Enable of the zn428 to ground, so in practice there is no difference to 426E, just more expensive.
(the MSX SCC (Konami Sound Custom Chip) was the same as ZN426E8).

Did I post the one I made 20 years ago for PC? Very small, very cute.
In case of user port even the 5V is avaiable, while on the PC Parallel port you need to get it from somewhere else, like keyboard or RS232 port (I did the later)

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2017-03-20
14:10:27

@MMS: Could you give a link to that DigiMax expansion you are talking about, please?

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-03-20
16:16:54

@gerliczer: UPDATE: sorry, I forgot to mention, that the info of the below 8bit DAC came from JamesC in a previous post

I think this is the best summary of the Digimax C64 card, with all the drawing, schematics and how it works in the real life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn1w9tJHtAQ

Actually, there is a C64 MOD player for it, but I hardly believe it would work without a REU or huge extra RAM due to the size of the usual MODs.
(on the other hand our (TLC) SID Digi player output quality could significantly improve if the used DAC has 8 (and not 5) bit final resolution and would make the final processing faster (supposely the internal calcualations done in 8 bit, but in the final step it has to be stretched into 5 bit with lookup tables (as far as I know) )

To play WAVs, the Plus/4 has more processing power than C64 with switched off screen, but frankly speaking it has no real added value :-)

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2017-03-26
10:53:34

@MMS: The SID player on the Spectrum mixes the three channels (in the range 0 to 63 each) into a single signal, and then it uses table lookup to select the three 4-bit AY volume levels. Because of the non-linearity of the volume control, this method allows for better resolution, but it does also introduce its own kind of distortion, since the volume registers cannot be written at the same time.

By the way, the player has also been ported to the Plus/4 (D64: https://enterpriseforever.com/sound/sid-lejatszo/?action=dlattach;attach=17649, source: https://enterpriseforever.com/sound/sid-lejatszo/?action=dlattach;attach=17650). While there are already similar and not unlikely better players, it might be interesting for comparison with the other versions. This port also has an internal resolution of 6 bits per channel, but the output is converted with a table to TED levels.

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-03-27
18:34:03

Hi Istvan,

I missed the plus4 version, just read the technical explanation on the ZX version.

I just checked it, and it is awesome; I hear the upper frequencies of the SIDs too happy
Congratulations, this is a nince achievement!

I dunno how much rastertime it uses up, certainly it should have a cause why you switched off the screen (=more CPU power for the calculations).

Two questions if you still have some time for me:
1) How well it may perform with switched on screen?
UPDATE : I will change it myself in the code, so easy. SORRY :-)

(it could let some re-release to happen, eg. the C64 (or Spectrum) startup screen plus the original SID file can be added to an older Plus/4 release for the startup, if any memory left free)

2) Do you think the 8 bit external DAC would make any difference in the speed of sound transformation?
(I mean if there is no CPU limit, could happen that the internal calculation happens in 8bit, and can be passed directly to 8bit external DAC, or convert (in case on TED available) to 5 bit? )

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2017-03-28
05:56:58

Hi, if I counted right, the IRQ handler routine currently uses 128 cycles in the best case, and it runs at 11084 Hz. The following can increase the CPU usage:
- crossing the page boundary on wavetable lookup (this happens because of how the PWM effect is implemented for the pulse waveform) may cost up to 3 cycles
- handling video interrupts in the IRQ routine costs 6 cycles, although it is simpler and has lower latency than polling $FF09 in the main program
- the border effect costs 4 cycles
- not using undocumented 6502 opcodes adds 4 or 6 cycles depending on how video interrupts are handled
The version on the D64 was compiled with the slower options, except it does use undocumented opcodes.

So, if we assume 131 cycles per sample (worst case for the fast build), then it can run at about 6.4 kHz on the active part of the screen, maybe with a timer interval of 140 (6.33 kHz) for some safety margin.

Removing the table lookup from the D/A would save 4 cycles with undocumented opcodes, 2 otherwise. The ring modulation effect is only used by some of the tracks, deleting it would save 15 cycles, possibly more if it makes other optimizations possible.

Most of the memory from $0C00 to $F77F is in use, but if the size of the input file is known and not too large, then the buffer reserved for it ($8000-$DEFF) can easily be made shorter. Actually, all the sample files on the D64 are smaller than 16K, and only one needs more than 14K ($8000-$B7FF). Thus, the bitmap data could fit into the area $C000-$DFFF after moving some tables to free the last 256 bytes, and $B800-$BFFF may be available for the attributes. Reducing the number of volume levels at which wavetables are generated from 21 to 15 would free additional 4608 bytes.

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-03-30
06:33:50

Hi,

many thanks for the details, and the documented source code! I will check it, hopefully I will understand the main parts happy

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2017-03-29
07:53:14

For more input files, there is a collection of tunes converted from the HVSC in M64 files part 1-3 here: https://enterpriseforever.com/letoltesek-downloads/egyeb-misc/45/. The same format is supported by sidbasicp4, simply copying the files to the D64 as sidfile1.prg etc. works. The IRQ frequency must be 50 Hz, but other values are rare. The tools that were used for converting from PSID format can be found in the current sidbasic package here: https://enterpriseforever.com/letoltesek-downloads/enterprise-software/15/.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2017-04-01
06:58:30

Modified version without blanking the screen:
D64: https://enterpriseforever.com/sound/sid-lejatszo/?action=dlattach;attach=17667
Source: https://enterpriseforever.com/sound/sid-lejatszo/?action=dlattach;attach=17668
This includes all the previously mentioned changes and also a couple of minor fixes that could be applied to the original version as well. The quality is now not quite as good, the sample rate has been reduced to 7151 Hz and there is no ring modulation effect. A simple converted multicolor picture is also loaded and displayed.

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-04-01
11:14:51

@Istvan,
you are just too kind! happy

Many thanks! You could be a genie in your previous life. grin (certainly just kidding)

Evidently the switched off screen version has much more faithful sound (I think that was a kind of breakthrough in my eyes), this version in closer to the usual digi SID player due to the lower sample rate (but easily surpasses the versions made in the 90s). Still shows higher frequencies (with some noise), probably due to conversion method.
Certainly we cannot have everything together. ZX Spectrum's stronger CPU shows the extra power 20-30% in this case.

One question back to the Enterprise version:
what is the added value of the 1 external DAC 8bit channel in case of Enterprise, as the DAVE has independent channels can play 8kHz or 11kHz digi sound?
(or at least Hungarian Wiki states it, while the English does not mention it)

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2017-04-01
11:20:52

The internal DAC in the Enterprise actually has a resolution of 6 bits per channel, and in practice it is implemented with a simple resistor ladder that can be inaccurate. There are eight 6-bit volume control registers (4 left/4 right), but not all of these can be used for PCM playback, because one of the generators can only output noise. So, the D/A possibilities include:
- only one volume register per stereo channel, this is the "official" D/A mode (disables output from the tone/noise generators)
- high frequency square wave on one or more channels, this allows up to 6 PCM streams in stereo
- one or two sound generators can output a constant logical high level with some tricks, 4 channel playback is possible this way, but without the possible disadvantages of using high frequency square waves
Timer interrupts at a programmable frequency also use one of the tone generators.

There is currently no actual external DAC hardware, although references to one with 4 8-bit channels (2 left/2 right) can be found in an old MOD player, perhaps it was built only as a prototype. Anyway, I added it to my emulator since it is easy to emulate.

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-07-20
02:11:05

Thanks for the explanation.

Yeah, a mono or stereo 8bit DAC has no real added value to a 4x 6bit channel PCM playback, due to the mixing.
But FOUR 8 bit channels?
Well, I have doubts that even the Enterprise with it's 6MHz Z80 could manage that data stream.
I do remember, how my 286 at 20MHz was suffering when I played a MOD music via my parallel port mono Covox.
And it was under DOS.

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-04-02
17:40:20

Sorry a completely different topic:

a really hilarous International Karate spinoff video, hopefully you will laugh too happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO5bTdbXZAw&list=WL&index=51

Posted By

Lavina
on 2017-04-07
04:39:31

wow this is new to me

Commodore_MAX

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-07-20
12:08:02

Haha, what a quick response from me happy

OFF
It looks outside as the ill fated Hungarian made Primo computer, but inside it was a beast with SID and VIC-IIhappy
https://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primo
I learned to program first on this machine and ZX81.

The version B could handle Commodore IEC peripheries.
The ProPimo had 32 colors (from a palette of 256) in a resolution of 192x256. Not bad...

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-11-02
11:34:55

FYI

The is an interesting Commodore concept by Florian Renner. Seems the machine has two slots for SSDs, looks like a Floppy drive insert, and the keyboard is really flat, like an Apple one. (the monitor also)
What is really nice, there is a black version too happy (I think never ever a black Machintosh was made, but I could be wrong...)

http://www.florian-renner.com/commodore-run

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-11-02
13:47:23

So as the pictures looked too realistic, I started to think a little.

Maybe it is not a concept (3D generated graphics), but a working PC rebadged to Commodore. I like the idea.

If I think twice, it seems to be a normal mini-ITX PC with nice minimalistic design. Connected to a Mac monitor (?) and a slim USB keyboard, all rebadged with Commodore logo. Probably the keyboard has locally 3D printed keys. And running an emulator.
(yeah, the 16:10 monitors does not like the 4:3 C64 screen, that's why I still use a Dell Ultrasharp 4:3 monitor)

The main problem with those previous keyboard Commodore-PCs, that the GPU is not upgradable, so sooner or later you cannot use it as a main PC (noadays the PCs do not age really well - again). With a proper housing you may have swappable CPU and GPU, so you can extend the lifetime of the mchine (despite this is a long one, seems it has no spece for a GFX cards, mabye on a riser card).

Posted By

Lavina
on 2017-11-03
04:06:47

Rare Apple

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-11-03
07:43:34

I think the Lisa/Macintosh line was not the best decision from Apple.

The Apple IIGS was cheaper and outperformed the Machintoshes (Plus and SE) of the same year in every way. (color, proper sound card, higher resolutions).
The CPU speed kept artificially low to do not outperform the Macintoshes, but still, was a way better computer.

The C64 SuperCPU run the same processor at 20MHz (14MHz was the official offer from CPU producer) while the IIGS was kept as low as 2.8MHz.
Ouch!

FYI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h4tepFbMso

I own a fantastic looking LC 475 (just for the housing, otherboard is broken, a HW project in my mind since years), but could be interesting, what would be the CPU history if the WDC chip would be supported io. Motorola line ( it was same as used in C64 external fast CPU)

Posted By

bubis
on 2017-11-24
12:42:45

Is this the topic for any random stuff? happy

I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvMxJkTaE4I

Looks like the whole music clip is done on some old machine in some 80x50 zoom4 like mode.
I think this is reproducible on Plus/4 too. Not that I want to, it's just inspiring.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2018-03-31
17:21:47

http://index.hu/tudomany/2017/12/02/voyager-1_37_ev_utan_begyujtotta_a_hajtomuveit/

Sry it's in Hungarian, I'm sure you can find the English equivalent out there. Basically it's about starting up a spare engine on Voyager Space Probe that has never been started on this 37 years old piece of tech.

The article says that it was a great challenge partly because the programming is in Assembly that only a few people speak today... Don't be surprised when you get a call from NASA. wink

ok I cannot double post 'cause my post is the last here, but I've just heard this and must share:

NTSC : Never Twice the Same Color :D :D :D

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2018-03-31
17:29:03

Here's an English article: https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/12/after-37-years-voyager-has-fired-up-its-trajectory-thrusters/.

Posted By

MIK
on 2018-03-31
18:55:50

The Quantum Computer.

If and when, it will be interesting in the right hands but also scary in the wrong...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-43587875/what-is-quantum-computing

Posted By

Lavina
on 2018-06-18
06:16:37

SPAM! happy Order your bathing stuff from Land of Zador.

https://zadorszappan.hu/

Posted By

Mad
on 2018-06-18
12:12:01

Seems I need one of them, at least for placing them somewhere near the bath tub happy happy happy....

Posted By

Lavina
on 2018-06-18
14:16:00

One more thing I found out today... I was watching Ready Player One... Yeah I know.. But I had a long brainsucking work day so I needed some brain off mode... Anyway, there is a Commodore 1570 drive in the movie grin

Posted By

SVS
on 2018-06-18
14:30:17

In Ready Player One there are also many "1O1" true citations to the first PC of the history (the Italian Olivetti Programma 101)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programma_101

and Lavina: the correct NTSC stands for Never The Same Color grin

SVS from the PAL-Land wink

Posted By

MMS
on 2018-06-30
07:32:39

This seems to be a C64-er who wants to be a Plus/4-er happy

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2018-07-22
06:24:49

A new scene graphic gallery opened its doors to art lovers at http://www.tomseditor.com/gallery. Unfortunately, it completely lacks TED art. Wouldn't it be a nice thing if the collection had the original pictures from our scene too?

Posted By

MMS
on 2018-07-22
14:18:33

Hi,

I just checked it, and it HAS a lot of Plus/4 art, just select the platform on the left side! I think they are from the recent compos.
There are ones from Carrion, Chronos and a lot of other graphicians, even I contributed with one PETSCII picture wink (although certainly not the same class as the bitmaps).

Actually, after registration I think we can (I mean the artist, or if not active, we can agree) upload some of the better graphics from JEVA, etc.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2018-07-22
15:05:56

That's some very recent update. It was not that way at the time I wrote my previous post.

Posted By

bubis
on 2018-07-22
18:25:33

Hey, a calculator, anyone?

https://www.jofogas.hu/somogy/Az_elso_commodore_szamologep_torontoi_meg__81486371.htm

Only 2 000 000 HUF! grin

Posted By

MMS
on 2018-11-06
13:55:08

Nope, I am more interested in a working one happy
BTW I have something similar from my Grandma, it is German and have a roling wheel.

Thill prefer Commodore :-)

Posted By

bubis
on 2018-07-23
08:50:46

Hey,

As for the new Retro Gallery, I asked them to add Plus/4 to the list, and they did! happy

Check it out!

http://www.tomseditor.com/gallery/browse?platform=commodore_plus4

Posted By

siz
on 2018-07-23
11:46:20

I think they are constantly uploading pictures. I've checked it when gerliczer posted and albeit they had a plus/4 section it was empty. Just like for the whole Amiga AGA section. Amiga OCS section had only one year at that time (I haven't checked it now).

Posted By

MMS
on 2018-11-06
14:48:01

bubis,
you are the man! Thank you, pal ! happy

UPDATE

Interesting C16 concept from an Amiga fan, at the very bottom of the page. (Art by Arne Niklas Jansson)

https://androidarts.com/Amiga/AmigaPixels.htm

UPDATE2:
Stefan Egger has an idea to revive the 364 in a new form, as a fitting numeric keyset addon.
I think we may use the extra space to add extra build-in functions (mIEC/SD as built-in HDD), maybe add DB9 joystick ports, or even a slim horizontal fan.

[ FB link ]

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2018-12-03
11:01:43

https://www.pagetable.com/?p=978

Posted By

MMS
on 2018-12-03
15:19:19

wow, that's crazy! the comment about the faster reading could be valid (use interleave for more optimized positioning), on the other hand the tool itself is pretty good and very well demonstrated.

No RAM left in C64 BASIC, while in Plus/4 BASIC free 22K RAM space would have been left for a short domumentation and a little better UI happy
Just typed in, and will change the POKEs, and see if it works :-) Is it a good idea to run a fastloader before that? :-)

Compiling could be a good option, but I am not sure how far compilers support arrays. (AustroC and LITWRC)

Posted By

Lavina
on 2018-12-31
07:07:55

I've just watched Black Mirror: Bandersnatch. I'll not be a big fan of interactive TV but this release is worth to be mentioned here because it's about 8bit developers in the '80s and well, adventure genre is also mentioned of which I've always been a great fan as you might know. :)

Furthermore, there are some C= HW in it and one of them I don't know. It has a Commodore logo on the right side of the casing. It featues a small screen and slots for drives as well. Maybe a kind of Command Center?

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2018-12-31
08:04:14

@Lavina: AFAIK, that's an SX-64.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2018-12-31
08:23:27

wow thanks! World's 1st portable color display computer. Neat.

Posted By

Luca
on 2018-12-31
09:02:54

...and the Jeff Minter cameo, and the intrinsic citation in the surnames of the characters (citing Simon Butler and Jon Ritman), and the fake 00s styilish Tuckersoft homepage, and the real ZX Spectrum version of Nohzdyve to download and play, and the Competition Pro, and the real Bandersnatch that never did, and much much more...

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2019-01-21
07:54:32

Some special characters from old computer systems were accepted into Unicode: https://twitter.com/unicode/status/1085613123183071232

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2020-02-03
16:47:27

Today, in the Hungarian Plus/4 topic of the index.hu forum, Jeva posted a question about the tools and methods available today for doing graphics. Please, head over there if you can give him advice or help.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2020-02-04
09:58:27

WOW! Mucsi bought a C16. happy

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2021-05-24
09:38:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=081TbFnwKDw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0kIsCJ_8Ow

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-06-29
20:11:58

I just found these YT videos from Noplan, and I am fully impressed.

These as not C64 demos, but recreation of the songs with SID+S.A.M+C64 style art and animation, including PETSCII.
That S.A.M. singing is epic happy

Listening to these videos is a kind of new addicton for me. This is really art happy
(and I think these could be done with a Plus/4 now too)

This one starts with an 1531 datasette happy so it is ON happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8sN6qKLq_c

An other fav band. Nice!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oRUCkAbPn0

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2021-07-04
04:58:17

Insanity! https://csdb.dk/release/?id=205500

Posted By

Doug
on 2021-07-04
14:56:42

gerliczer wow. Just when you thought you'd seen everything. Blown away at the creativity and audacity of it! Thanks for pointing it out.

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-07-05
12:47:37

I saw it live on Gubbdata. All the ppl were blown away by this 1541 demo, and it is really groundbreaking.
On the other hand, I think there is a common misunderstanding. Evenone though, that the music is created by the 1541.

I think partially only, but maybe I am wrong.
The drive itself creates kind of rythmical noise by it's head, and it was the majority at the beginning of the demo. On the other hand I think later on some sound effects were produced by the SID of the C64. If you check out, only the video (CVBS) is connected to the 1541. So humming via video noise and 1541 head is possible, but arpeggiated chords? Hmmm.

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-07-05
14:38:14

Very awesome! happy

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2021-07-06
01:57:14

@MMS: Fortunately, in this case it is not a question what you believe but what you can prove. You should build the cable, write the demo disk image and run the demo. Listen to the music and you'll have your proof.

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-07-06
12:47:31

@gerliczer: so you tried it and heard it?

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2021-07-06
13:33:05

@MMS: No. It was not me who questioned the author's statement about running only on a 1541. He who thinks it is not true should disprove it.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-07-06
18:22:08

The author did a full write-up of how the music is done. (There's no SID involved.)

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-07-06
19:09:04

OK!

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2022-06-19
01:12:19

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-06-19
09:00:56

So that's LDY #$A4 in proper hex form happy

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2022-06-19
09:10:32

Yes but there is a bit more fun. $A4 is the opcode of LDY zp instruction. happy

Posted By

Mad
on 2022-06-19
11:25:33

but why -164 ?

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2023-08-12
05:44:41

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTCiP8veNTQ

Posted By

SVS
on 2023-08-12
15:16:38

Hello to one of the Plus/4 Masters!

Posted By

MMS
on 2024-02-03
09:54:51

A Commodore 64 related topic, but I suppose it could work in the same way via an adapter too.

https://www.valoroso.it/en/reel-recorder-connected-to-commodore-64/

The only thing it missing from these Reel 2 Reel drives is the catalogue, what was available on the( initially) less reliable ZX Microdrive.
Did you know, that the tiny Microdrive could load with 10 Kbyte/sec?

--2024 Feb update-------------------------------------

An interesting, portable Commodore concpet with built-in 3.5" floppy drive (based on Plus/4 design).
DAT cursor keys :-) they cannot get rid off pressing the SHIFT key

https://durandalwoz.artstation.com/projects/2qZzWa

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024