Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-11-22
10:04:34
 Princess C64SD with TAP file Support

There's a news update for anybody interested in this new SD2iec device.
http://www.commodore16.com/princess-now-with-c16-tape-grabber-support/

Original Story
http://www.commodore16.com/tap-file-sd2iec-device-for-the-c16plus4/

Yes it is fully compatible with the 264 series happy

Bad news though is that the C16/Plus4 cables are temporarily out of stock sad

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-11-30
00:36:54
 Re: Princess C64SD with TAP file Support

I've just received an email. The universal kit with the necessary C16/Plus4 adapters are now back in stock for anybody wishing to purchase it. I've just ordered mine happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-11-30
07:56:44

Your have to do a full write up, or even a video review would be cool so we get to see it in action. happy

Posted By

Chris
on 2014-11-30
09:07:31

I've just ordered one too, quite excited about this piece of hardware.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-12-01
06:17:16

A video review eh? That's a jolly good idea MIK. I think I might do just that happy

But it probably won't be until the new year. I go away for Christmas on Dec 9th and won't return until the 29th. He said it'll take around 9 days. I think I might just miss the post.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2014-12-01
03:53:55

Do the prices shown on the ordering page include shipping costs? I didn't find any information on this.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-12-01
06:14:22

The shipping costs are separate. It will work it out for you on the checkout page as you fill in the address fields, just before you submit your final order (you're not obliged to buy at this point) happy

Remember if/when you order, to get the universal kit. It costs a little more but you get the C16/Plus4 connectors with it.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-12-01
06:15:28

Baz you should of had yours sent to Chris and then he could pass it on. It would do my head in something coming in the post and your be away for 3 weeks, sat on some post office shelf being bashed every day as more and more mail gets thrown on top of it...

This month is going to pass by really fast any way, video review in the new year will be perfect. happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-12-07
00:48:31

Original Post: 2014-12-01
Doh, that's a good point. I'd worry a lot less. Especially now that you've mentioned about it getting bashed about, lol.

I just read in the guestbook though that someone in the USA got theirs in only 9 days, and someone in the UK (where I am) got theirs in under a week.
He also told me that he was going to send it out Monday (today) so I might be lucky anyway. Well, I can only hope.

Lots of stuff for your cash. It also has an extra cable with a 9v battery adapter to be used as an optional external power supply source, nice . The C16 tape cable is the large one on the bottom right, plus a standard serial cable just to the left. I'll try suss out what all the others are for a little later. I'm planning to record a full video review within the next couple of days if I find some time, as I'll be away from my C16 this Tuesday until the end of the year (although I can still edit the video in the meantime as I'm bringing the laptop with me.

The Princess C64SD in action on the Commodore 16 and the Commodore 64. In this first video I will be looking at loading games, including via its new TAP file support which is a first for the SD2IEC device.

Note: There is .tap multiload support for single sided games which I may go into a future video. However, games which requires changing tapes isn't supported. Although there is a PC utility you can download to merge .tap images together to make it one single file.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-12-07
06:28:46

Wicked Baz! happy

Your have to try something like Tom Thumb & Thrust tap's just to see if Half Wave really does work. It's great you can load original tapes from an SD card now. That's the ultimate back up right there! Very cool indeed. happy

Thanks for sharing! happy

PS. From memory, Ghost'n Goblins if you think it's worth it, Phantom and Mercenary adding The Second City to the end of it will have to be made as one tap each. Obviously rename that new joined up Mercenary tap to Mercenary The Second City or something.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-12-07
15:59:17

Glad you enjoyed it, hopefully there will be more to come soon.

I'll have a think about what you said. I kinda rushed the video as I'm away for a few weeks this Tuesday. I could try out some different loaders for sure and I'll have a go at those you mentioned. I particularly want to suss out any .tap multiloads where you have to keep rewinding the cassette back to a specific point after game over. There is a method.

Right now though I'm sussing out converting real tape to .tap wink

Posted By

corpsicle
on 2014-12-08
07:38:45

Great video!
Im hovering my mousepointer over the "purchase" button right now ...
I _might_ have gone a bit over my monthly allowance for toys however. =)
But ... surely i should get a xmas present for myself ?

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-12-08
07:52:53

One more test that might be worth a go Baz... before you part with a couple of tapes for good.

knowing you can't swap .tap's once one has been used in mid game...
Load up Winter Events.tap and see if you can save the records to disk, as in SD card there after. The "F" keys change the options on the save screen.
If no joy, I wonder if you can reset the Princess when the game is running and maybe it will save that way to SD card as if it was being used as a floppy drive?

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-12-08
14:15:57

As far as I'm aware, you can't have a TAP plus a D64 set at the same time, it's either one or the other. Remove the TAP and it resets. Reset the Princess and again it removes the TAP thus also resetting the counter. It just means that you have to save it to a real disk drive or tape deck

Anyway, as promised, I've just had time to do a second video before I head off to colder climates tomorrow. I'm up in Carlisle for the festivities visiting family happy

Today I will be looking at ripping a game from an original game cassette and turning it into a .tap file, and also recording a .tap file back onto a blank cassette. Something I'm sure you're all eager to find out wink

Enjoy happy

Posted By

corpsicle
on 2014-12-08
12:43:43

Nice video again
I went ahead and ordered one now so i guess ill have a new toy for christmas. =)

Posted By

Chris
on 2014-12-08
15:29:40

Same here, hopefully will be delivered tomorrow. Looking forward to going through my collection.

Posted By

corpsicle
on 2014-12-12
16:54:08

I got mine!
Tried some prg's and d64's and all work great.
I havent been able to run anything from .tap though.
Im probably doing something silly.
I go into fb16, press enter on the .tap file and then i get "press play on tape" and the blue led is blinking.
It doesn't stop blinking. If i press play it says "searching" and then just goes to blank screen forever and the blue led keeps blinking.
What am i missing.

Allso, Rocket Science only gives me a red led when trying to start and Metamerism gets me to the "loading colors" picture and flickering colors in the border and stays there forever.

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-12-12
17:00:11
 e is a trackRe: Princess C64SD with TAP file Support

Rocket Science is a trackmo, and this means it tries to use the drive's internal memory, can't work on a SDcard reader.

Posted By

corpsicle
on 2014-12-12
17:05:28

Luca: Thanks a lot! I guessed it was something like that.
Also, I resolved the .tap issue.
I did not have the latest firmware on my unit.
Upgraded from 0.10.3.D to 0.10.3.E and I just loaded Tutti Frutti from .tap file. =)

Posted By

Chronos
on 2015-02-02
05:42:22

playing back .tap files, the cheap and easy way:
http://tapdancer.info/?page_id=2

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-02-02
05:58:17

How to make clickable links, the cheap and easy way:
http://tapdancer.info/?page_id=2

For more info on how too, check here under "Formatting":
http://plus4world.powweb.com/forumhelp.php

Posted By

Chronos
on 2015-02-02
10:44:05

supereasy thx, but why not automatic at least for registered users?

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-02-03
04:20:43

I would imagine it would be a lot of hard work trying to implement such a feature seeing as the whole site is more or less hand made by one person, designed in such a way that other people can also add things as well.

Many sites use 3rd party forums with everything on a plate and have to pay for the privilege, or put up with advertising banners and spam. The companies that make these forums can also purge stuff as they see fit with updates so you don't always have control or own the material the public add.

Here the forum is part of the site it's self meaning searches will list everything there is related to what your after, not just content on the site but also the forum. And because the forum belongs to the site, all that valuable info that the public add can be kept forever. If it means adding a couple of tags to make a hot link which makes it easier for others to use then that's a small price to pay for a hand made site that's free of advertising and free to use. In truth you would have Csabo spend the time in the real world with family or creating tunes, demo's and games rather than working on something we can easily do. wink

Posted By

Chronos
on 2015-02-03
05:22:00

ok, agree

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024