Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-09-03
15:53:54
 Re: Writing to the borders of the screen

Horizontal border? I'm not sure what you mean. It appears to me that it only writes to top/bottom, that's usual for The Mad. He did this in a lot of other games as well: Digital Ball (upscroller), Godzilla (intro screen).

The sideborder is a completely different story. I think the history roughly goes something like this:
- First ever side border effect: Master Computing in MC Demo then TCFS in Dynamix intro. They were release about the same time, but TCFS admits that the idea is from MC. This effect is pretty weird, it uses a side effect of the monitor display (that's why YAPE can't emulate it properly).
- Five Magics is the first real one by Crown. It extends the sideborder by one char in each direction. The effect is rather limited though. However it's the only HIRES one so far.
- Chaos: Larry's old SAS ( = eagle) routine is finally public. Extends the screen by a total of 3 chars, has to be multicolor by the nature of the effect, and the colour map goes bye-bye, so it's 3 colors only.
- Crackers Demo 4: Larry improves on the effect by interlacing it, so now we have 7 colors.

This is Plus/4 Encyclopedia material happy

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024