Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

sharky
on 2005-07-01
10:14:48
 Game Music

The great thing about the c16/plus/4 is the music on most of the games. Some of the tunes are really catchy though quite simple in musical terms. I am forever whistling certain tunes for instance the tutti frutti theme and speed king especially. Making music work on the plus/4 used to be my speciality not easy when using only 2 voices for an epic symphony.(Well I Suppose there was three with the sound effect voice) What game tunes stick in your brains the most?

Posted By

Luca
on 2005-07-01
10:23:59
 Re: Game Music

Are you talking about pure native TED music, and for games only?
Easy: Terra Nova.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2005-07-01
12:06:57

Bandits.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-07-01
17:19:41

Terra Nova is not only very well composed (musically), but also shows high technical skill (volume envelopes, the use of noise effect, simulation of 3rd voice, etc.). Not that many tunes come close. However, David Whittaker's stuff in G-Man and Danger Zone is also amazing, too bad it's too short, but technically the music and the sound effects kick ass. Man, I wish we had more of his stuff.

If we want to extend this to demo musics as well - but of course counting only musics that were written specifically for and on the Plus/4... It's Ikaruga. But just wait until the new community demo comes out wink

Posted By

Luca
on 2005-07-01
23:41:40

@Csabo: really? It means I MUST try LODplay! :D

Posted By

MIK
on 2005-07-02
04:28:01

Terra Nova rulez!

And just for Csabo, Exorcist made its mark in the history books. Not only is it a catchy tune but good use of off pitching the second channel almost playing the same sound ontop of its self. Whats also cool is that it doesnt play the notes over and over its self perfect as it should do, but adding some sort of squeezed effect to the over all sound over time!! Love it. happy

Big Mac is one cleaver tune indeed.

Udo Gertz blatant rip off of Axel-F (Beverly Hills Cop), from the game Bongo. Great remix and to think this was done long before this stupid Crazy Frog ring tone showed up.

Posted By

Patrick
on 2005-07-02
10:14:21

WHAT DO U GUYS THINK OF THE MUSIC OF DALEY THOMPSON STAR EVENTS? I ALWAY SLIKED IT!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-07-02
18:08:50

If you mean Vangelis' Chariots of Fire piece from the game, well, that's a pretty good one. Of course the tune itself is beautiful and it won an Academy Award. The interesting volume envelope really makes this tune, although I would have moved it down a few halfnotes to achieve a lower base sound. Still, it's pretty good.

Posted By

nukem
on 2005-07-06
13:36:42

I still remember the Ingame-Music of ICICLE WORKS. Don't know why, 'coz it is not really the best music. But i remember.....

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-07-06
19:16:10

Well, that is a memorable tune. A bit eastern-sounding I always thought. It's one of those things that we know so well, it's hard to judge because of the nostalgia. I could not image that game with another tune, it's part of the atmosphere.

Posted By

Sharky
on 2005-07-07
04:42:22

Its funny that the pack of ten games that came with my plus/4 all have memorable catchy tunes. Icicle Works, Exorcist, Space sweep, Treasure Island but also some not so great or even non existant tunes i.e. harbour attack,fire ant,number chaser/builder. The fact is that all ten games and their tunes and sound effects are imprinted in my brain and like csabo says it is hard to judge which is best cos of nostalgia.

Lets not forget the great theme of kikstart is also a good tune.

Posted By

Rachy
on 2005-07-07
04:49:27

Don't forget Trailblazer either! happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-07-07
10:59:18

Trailblazer's tune is nice too. Very "happy". Also uses volume envelopes... (Note for Plus/4 musicians: use volume envelopes! happy)

I don't want to give away too much, but in my part in the upcoming demo I've attempted to break all previous barriers of sound playback on the Plus/4. One thing is for sure, the tune in my part will be one of most advanced as far as technology used. The real question is... will people like it? Will the melody will be catchy enough? And if the melody/song is just mediocre, will it be still thought of as a good tune? I'll be interested to hear opinions. We can find out whether it's the tune itself that matters more (ie. the melody, etc) or the technology.

Posted By

Patrick
on 2005-07-07
11:13:38

when is the demo finished? i can't wait to see it!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-07-07
13:04:15

The deadline is the 15th this month. I'm guessing probably a day or so after that, unless everyone submits their stuff a few days before and we can confirm that there will be no more entries. Yup, this will definitely be a demo to check out. (And not just because the current number of new releases is close to zero wink)

Posted By

MIK
on 2005-07-07
16:49:57

Csabo,

How does this new music technique sound with Yape? Of course dont give to much away. wink

Looking forward to hearing it!!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-07-08
09:05:40

Actually YAPE comes very, very close to perfectly reproducing the sound. Cheers to Gaia and the other experts who helped him making the sound emulation get this accurate.

Posted By

MIK
on 2005-07-08
14:45:36

Wow, truly amazing!!! happy

Posted By

nukem
on 2005-07-11
16:48:29

continuing game-music

fight in the desert. a little bit lame, but i still remember it, too.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-07-12
14:23:58

I didn't play that game much so I went to check it out. Ah, a Hartmut Ott game... That guy obviously knew some things about music. While he did not use a technically advanced player (pretty plain old sound in fact), but most of his games have classical-sounding stuff. Just check out the first game in our database, King Of Kings. Maybe he used actual classical stuff, my knowledge in that are is rather limited. But he has a very recognizable style.

Posted By

KiCHY
on 2005-07-12
15:49:25

And what about the music of Tutti Frutti? I just sing it nowadays (when I'm alone happy.

Posted By

Chris
on 2005-07-12
17:06:31

The tune from Auf Wiedersehen Monty always grabs me as being one of the best. Just a happy tune to play along to.

Posted By

nukem
on 2005-07-12
21:43:38

Monty rulz!
BUT: The more Game-muzaxx I remember from C64 games nicht schlagen!!! SOOOOOORRYYYY +4!!!!!!

Posted By

Sharky
on 2005-07-13
04:15:33

Tutti Frutti's Music was hypnotic I too find myself whistling that one!

I quite liked the snippets of classical music in some games such as Jet Set Willy (Peer GYnt, Grieg) Kane(William Tell Overture)

Posted By

Mosh
on 2005-07-13
04:56:21

I want to nominate the title music that Return of Rockman has as being possibly the most annoying of any game released for C16/+4.

Once that theme is in my head, it's hours before it leaves...

Posted By

MIK
on 2005-07-13
09:22:54

Onto the bad eggs of ted. wink

Who Dares Wins II , the two channels went out of sync before the tune finished...

Rockman , the guy was tone death. wink
I can't remember for sure but it might of been something to do with the starting address. I'm sure there was a way of getting it to play right, but the game didnt run correct if the music played right.... ??? long time ago lol.

Posted By

nukem
on 2005-07-13
16:20:04

Rockman music suxx! I think it was no bug. Only peep peep. This crap annoyed me many years ago...

Posted By

Sharky
on 2005-07-14
04:16:51

Talking of peep peep music the saboteur theme music used really annoy me. An oriental headache making loop, good job the game was brill.

Posted By

KiCHY
on 2005-07-19
07:30:27

hmmm. Arthur Noid?

Posted By

Sharky
on 2005-07-19
10:41:02

Arthurnoid is kind of a peep peep irish jig quite amusing really!

Powerball always made me laugh how did it go do da deda dode du, boing,boing,boing,boing into infinity.Not much of a tune but comedy genius.

Posted By

Austin
on 2005-08-03
17:57:05

Music to stick in your head - tuttii fruitti

Music to drive you insane - Mr Puniverse

Even after 15 years (before I got Yape) these two never left my brain. Luck I never went mad...

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024