Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MC
on 2003-09-24
 Discussion about plus4world

Hi folks!

There are many sceners who think that this site should be developed towards a more scene oriented direction. I want to open a discussion about that. Our mission should be collect and maintain infromation about all c+4 related software (this is unchanged happy) BUT we should also move towards attracting more and more people to the scene and keeping the currently active members active happy
There are many ways to achieve that, i could talk hours about that, but i have to leave now, so this message is kept short happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-24
 Re: Discussion about plus4world

Right now I'm pulling Csabo's arms out of his sockets to tell me what you have in mind happy

Will he spill the beans I wonder? wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-09-24

MC: Perhaps you should come up with some specific issues. It's clear that different people have different ideas about what is the scene, and what is considered "scene oriented".

Since 2000 I've been working on this database, and I collected all the scene groups and members, waiting for the scene to be revived. This place here is the largest tribute ever to our scene: all the groups and people are there, with as much info as possible. Not scene oriented enough? Perhaps. The Hungarian scene still doesn't want to come here though, which is something that I came to accept - it's fine, really. Regardless of my efforts to translate the site to Hungarian, I know the language barrier is still there.

There was some talk about being more like CSDB. Very nice website. They have 1800 groups and 6000 members. In a scene that big, I can understand the need for stuff like rating people. They have more than 800(!) musicians listed, for example, obviously you would want to know, who are the better ones.

We have a good active musician too on our scene, his name is Luca.

Do we need a complex search engine and voting system to get through all that data?

Anyway, come up with specific requests for changes. I know I'm a pain to deal with when it comes to that, but sometimes I can be persuaded.

Posted By

MC
on 2003-09-25

We had an email-thread with Csabo about these things.

He convinced me that the situation is even worse than it seems happy However, i want to point out a couple of things.

1, registration is complicated, and so creates a community of privileged people who are registered. Just look at James C or Magervalp who are always around here and NOT REGISTERED! We should make registering much more simple, let everyone register easily.

2, somehow we should encourage (persuade?) people to register here, so they will use the forum and voting much more intensively. For example, after 3 software downloads you should register to download more. (downloads stored in cookies... most people will register instead of messing with cookie settings) This is just an example, anything which persuades you to register is good happy

3, create further possibilities for interaction (more voting, writing reviews, writing news, adding uploads, suggesting links, handing the knowledgebase to the public, etc)

4, we need a dedicated "hungarian corner" in this forum, as most of hungarian sceners seem to refuse to publicly speak english happy

I'm very glad that Csabo maintains this site so well, i don't want to rewrite it or change it from the basics: i would like to see some further features that generate activity and interactivity, show the scene's size and keep the sceners and visitors interested.
Fortunately, i'm somewhat familiar with PHP and MySQL, so i could take some of the work if Csabo wishes happy

If people see the signs that other people are really active around here, they'll more likely tend to come back and they'll tend to stay more i think. And they'll be more active as well.
Our scene is very small, we should seem bigger, and we should ALL gather and work here.
That's all for now.

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-09-25

My contribute to discussion:
IMHO to promote the interest to "our" Plus/4 and site we need:

a) Less games but more utilities: if we are targeting programmer people we need be atractive for them, by offering new software to develope and to use Plus4 (non only to play).
b) Collecting games and demos, and their covers could help for a first contact, but I think these are less important than new tools (or discovery of unknown tools).
c) Demos. The goal of DEMOs should be to DEMOnstrate the powerful of some (new) utilities and the power of the machine, avoiding to show own skin. What is the useness of a demo with special Fx if nobody knows how they were obtained?
d) Spread the knowledge: If somebody of us has knowledge of a special dark corner of Plus4 (HW or SW) he should spread it with all the other users. Do you remember in the golden years the hard difficulty to find the essential info about the memory? I do, then I enthusiastically agree with Csabo to let "open" my (modest) knowledge. This point is important, people. If we have access to the knowledge (official but also not-official) we could skip a lot of double-work and we all are more attracted to start new releases.
It seems that only Csabo and me have done this, till now: Csabo published the sources of his works, I did ensemble all the known O.S. data and added my own discoveries to "Ultimate Map".
e) Languages: I suggest a link to a good net-translator to easy supply the service to non-English people, but also to enable us to read non-English sites (Hungarian...) with direct links if this is possible. The search engine too should do its work into Hungarian sites.
f) Voting: I don't think they are so useful. Competition is not so good in a small group. And the votes of games... have not sense if they are less than a considerable number (if only two persons votes 10 to a game, this will be ranked at top not consiering the opinions of great part of users). Remember that statistic gives true results only if great numbers are envolved.
g) Hardware. What about the SID card projects? There should be other good HW projects (and dreams happy ). never thought about a SuperPlus4? happy happy happy

Waiting for next opinions!

Posted By

MC
on 2003-09-25

a) OK
b) yes
c) yes
d) that's what the knowledgebase is about. We should use it now. I'm publishing my new sources, see edc.fw.hu
e) good idea, however we still need a hungarian corner happy
f) maybe
g) too few people are interested. Maybe SIDcards could be manufactured, but no further hacking is useful i think.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-09-25

MC -- I am not registered anymore, but I was at one time. I asked Csabo to remove my accesses to editing functions, leaving me only forum access.

When he removed my access to the editing functions, I lost the ability to log on. This may be a limitation of his current registered user security settings, I do not know. It doesn't hurt my ability to post here, only my ability to send private messages.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-09-25
 Re: Private Messages

What do you mean it hurts your ability to send Private Messages? Do you have difficult sending/receiving them? That functionality is available for every visitor. I just sent you a test message, hopefully it should show up.

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-25

MC, put the kettle on and take a peek at this lot. forgive me if I sound harsh or nasty in anyway, but this is my view on the topic which doesn't count wink

1. Being a registered user doesn't mean anything at all and there is no real need of it. We have a forum thats free for all and I'm sure people are only to pleased they dont have to sign up just to ask a question or say hi.

2A (and for SVS). Once again there is no need to register? What does it achive? We are not asking anything of people as its a free for all. I've been here for the last 5 years, more than over stayed my welcome or what I believed I would do of it. Emulation and a site with a face brought people here, most left once they were happy, most were gamers. Over the course of 2-3 years we between us all rounded up almost ALL commercial games (after all this was a gaming site from the word go). New emulation releases used to bring the punters in and I used to spam many emulation sites with the news, but in the last year or so things have died down, not only Plus4 emulation but emulation of all machines and formats. This site at the start joined the big rush that the net was - to get everything out and up and 99% of emulation be it Plus4 to Dreamcast is all about gaming. So there's no wonder gaming is still top of the list. I said things died down in the last year and yeah that in turn allowed this data base to grow! Thats why game covers show up once or twice aweek because we are building on what we already have. It won't be long before the covers run out and cover updates become rare. The games side of this site is so ahead of its self now that it has allowed time for everything else inbetween to be updated or added. Games are running thin! So stop talking GAMES wink

2B. We should not ask people to register! Allowing people to download and handful of games and then have to register is CHESSE! They will soon lose intrest and move onto other sites that dont ask you to register. Even if people have to register they will only join to take what they need and in most cases never return. You guys are some of the lucky ones! There was no plus4 scene where I came from. The Plus4 died back in 1988-ish and it remaind in its grave for years! The flame only burned in this house because I loved the games so much and its fond memorys. Before the net Plus4 was just me and the same applys to many out there!! Why is the C64 scene so big? Because of its games. Thats why Lemon 64 is so BIG with only a handful of people talking code! Once you get on the lesser known machines that handful of people talking code is even smaller. We should be glad about the amount of people that do pay respects to the C16/Plus4 how ever small that might be after all this is a hobbie, not away of life. And I mean that in a nice way...

3. Yeah I agree there, I once asked for reviews, but because of the small intrest in Plus4 at the time I only recieved one! Handing the knowledgebase to the public... If I'm thinking on what your saying then this could be a little tricky, everything we've all added so far is as close the the truth as can be.. If anyone is allowed to enter data in then the database maybe become fulse all to easy. ??

4. "We need a dedicated hungarian corner". If we need one of them then we also need a German corner lol. At the start of C16.de I gave them almost everything I had on offer (the site was almost a mirror of this one), but once the site changed hands they never linked to us or payed any attention to what we were doing here. C16 is another world that isn't apart of this one. Its a shame English is the most used language and English was the most used language on the Plus4 as it doesn't help anyone.. If people can't talk the tounge then they won't join in. I'm also ignorant with anything else other than English and its a shame I can't join in on say.... C16.de side of the Plus4. So this language problem has created Plus4 Tirbes in away and there isn't much we can say or do about it. Anyone is welcome to create a Plus4 site in any language they please. If the hungarian guys are that keen then they should do their own thing I believe. I'm sorry to say that but thats the truth. It needs more hungarian dudes to support what we have here as we can't ask Csabo and Ati all the time because they are also busy with other things.. So having multi language forums could be a good thing as long as there is the support to help out with the translation of this almost 100% english site, but it still may not bring people here (english side) as they may stay with their own side of the world... Would be alot of work to have multi lauguage versions of this site. You may bring people to emucamp but they will still be miles apart from each other.

Last of all, this site stands here on the gounds of GAMES and EMULATION and to most it will always will be the on stop site for all your gaiming needs wink. With the help of Csabo's PHP it has created a moster site that has allowed all kinds of goodies beyond our imagination to be added and yet the support and scene of the Plus4 hasn't grown much bigger than it was 5 years ago. This site has always been active, more than most C64 sites for content and uploads, but what did we do wrong? The C16/Plus4 was mostly a gamers machine.. thats whats wrong I believe and thing man never change....

Some of the stuff SVS said was very good BTW!

Posted By

MagerValp
on 2003-09-25
 Registration

Actually, I am registered, I just can't log in. After logging in I still get the "this user name is already taken" error.

I just use MagerV4lp instead

Posted By

TMR
on 2003-09-25

Just in passing, i'm sort of pro registering but not as a way to "force" people to participate or anything - i just like having fixed settings and signatures, so the board is a little more personalised (and a long duration login like Lemon or Pouet offer is a plus).

Posted By

MC
on 2003-09-25

TMR: good idea, maybe an avatar like on pouet? happy

Posted By

TMR
on 2003-09-25

i quite like having an avatar too yeah, on Atari Age at the moment my avatar is the copyright symbol from the front end of Ikaruga. =-) Pouet's avatars are a bit tiddly to be honest, the 80x80 size ones offered by Lemon seem a more reasonable size considering a lot of people run 1024*768 these days.

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-09-26

Lando: I want to precise that I like the games too! I did spend a lot of hours by playing Plus4 games (and I wrote a pair of them, too). My thinking is that games are goodness, but tools allow to develope.

Login question: I don't think it's a problem for anybody to register heself ONCE. Yes indeed, I registered me many months ago and I never had to re-enter data, nor login.
When one is registered and logged-in the first time, all the following times he connects, he will be detected by the system: it's all!.
The advantages of this are many: (for example he is shown to other on-line visitors; he can send messages or posts without to enter his name). There is any forcing in this!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-09-26

SVS and Nightbird: I'm all FOR utilities. We have over 600 of them already listed here. If all you see in the news are games and covers, well, that's all I get. I put up every new item and announce every newsbit that is sent in. So if you want to see new utilities listed, send them in! (In fact, I have a few new TAPs + scans coming in from Crown, and one of them is a utility.)

Posted By

MC
on 2003-09-26

I've sent a pack of old stuff to Csabo couple of days ago. Lots of utils happy I hope they'll be published. If i could upload them, i'd make the records for them as well.

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-26

Guys I guess much of what I said was true then? No feed back as such.....

SVS once apon a time I never had the time or space to cover everthing as HTML was a nightmare, but Csabo has changed that for the better and anything how ever small is a welcome! The Plus4 Party, Csabo did a good job in bring that back here for all to see and learn. You code something cool and we will have great pleasure in telling the world happy The news is a great place as everything gets stored for later viewing, history in the making. happy

For all those registering forum fans, signatures and avatar alike did you know that www.plus4.com has a forum that does it all and no one uses it.... Odd that. I'm sure Mike put it there with good intenstions and at the time there was talk of an all new Minus4. Maybe lack of intrest made him lose intrest....

We could ask Mike if we could use his forum, BUT! Thats not the point because every word and letter we type in here becomes part of the database. So only one man can change this forum so we can keep this cool feature, thats if Csabo has the time. A small avatar would be cool under the date wink

It would take alot of work, but a reply button from any message would be cool, then it picks up who that person is by name and then your message title would be eg:

Re: Discussion about plus4world [re: Csabo]

On this this very message title bar at the far right could be the reply button keeping it all tidy?

Posted By

TMR
on 2003-09-26

One little thought; how about the option of a news filter for those who don't want to know about the new games, new covers, new demos or whatever - give each news item a category and a user option to display or not display that category, that way the tools fans will see only the stuff important to them...?

As for Mike's board, i tried registering and it didn't send the sign-up email out!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-09-26

I was just about to write my piece on avatars, when I saw that even Lando likes them. And Gaia, too. Looks like everyone likes them except me, so fine, I will do it.

I find them useless and annoying. They will very rarely tell you anything about the person, or his likes or dislikes. And you have to look at the same stuff over and over and over again, next to every single message. They take up space and bandwidth for no good reason. You look at them once, and that's it, no further use. It's the MESSAGE that matters when you post, isn't it?

But fine, don't even write down your arguments FOR them, I'm sure it fun or whatever, I said I will do it.

I'll definitely add an option to turn them off.

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-26

T.M.R

Not sure why, but I did find it a pig to sign-up at first. Just bought a new PC with XP and it wasn't having any of it. I had to ask Mike.. Turn cookies on and a 101 other security options and only then lol. wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-26

I Also agree with you Csabo aswell... And I dont mind them either, sorry boss.

To be honest they need limiting in size (memory size) because everyone has to be downloaded and those who only have a 56k connection can find it hard going. This is the main reason why they can be a bad thing. You got to remember much of the artwork that this site is built around is minimal in memory size for that very reason with only the covers eating away at your con.

Here's one I use on another forum, what does it tell you about me? wink Its mega 2 big for here @ 60k...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-09-26

It tells me that you like the SEGA company?

Anyway, here's the deal with avatars: 1) only registered members can have them. 2) any size is fine as long as it's reasonable. 3) the only way to add one (for now) is to email them to me.

Posted By

TMR
on 2003-09-26

If you're scanning through a few message board posts you can see who posted what without having to actually read the names - there are a few people on certain other message boards (no names) whose posts i pay close to no attention to and others i rate as more able to comment on certain subjects, so being able to roughly tell who is who from a graphic rather than the text is nice...

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-09-26

TMR: that's the point! I absolutely agree on this, our brains detect 'visuals' quicker than text.

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-26

Hey Csabo, I'm lost for words lol. That was quick! happy

That Sega one above (as seen) is 65x75. Not a bad size. I think maximum of around that is plenty wouldn't you say? Other wise things might start looking silly?

Yeah your right, its a Games site so.... Big Sega fan, love my driving games and Virtua Racing is the daddy of all driving games we see today.

Ryu from (Street Fighter 2) isn't me, just what was available on Mikes forum. Would you be so kind as to swap it for one of these below for now please happy

Cheers!

Posted By

TMR
on 2003-09-26

Lemon uses 80x80 as a max size, that seems to work quite well...?

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-26

Yeah, I didn't know the size but agree Lemon size is perfect.

Posted By

MC
on 2003-09-26

80x80 is just right!

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-09-27

Lando -- regarding cookies and security settings -- add plus4.emucamp.com to the "Trusted Sites" tab and everything is automagically set for you. wink

I had a similar problem with Mike D's forums til I did this.

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-27

Cheers I'll remember that one next time James, learn something new every day! happy

Csabo, Ta for swapping my avatar over. When I can I'll sort a good one out. hehe I could change my name now and people will know who it is wink

Posted By

MC
on 2003-09-27

and they'll say: "who's that stupid man with Lando's avatar?" wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-27

lol Name and Shame wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-27

Who has the funkyest avatar now then?

80x63.. Would of looked odd 80x80. And I cry as I couldn't get the full speed of the game in the anim for some odd reason. 11 frames @ 6k

Posted By

TMR
on 2003-09-27

Okay, so how do i add a sodding avatar?! =-)

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-27

Csabo said above:

Anyway, here's the deal with avatars: 1) only registered members can have them. 2) any size is fine as long as it's reasonable. 3) the only way to add one (for now) is to email them to me.

Adding to that, size no bigger than 80x80 or things might start looking a little messy.

Posted By

MC
on 2003-09-28

TMR: email your avatar for Csabo.

Posted By

TMR
on 2003-09-28

Okay, so now i need to sort an avatar out... =-) [Wanders off to start Photoshop...]

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-10-01

Csabo, thanx for the avatar sign!! And thanx for this cool site, and I'll kill anyone who reduces your mood to maintain and develop it.

Posted By

Luca
on 2003-10-01

Shut up and code you, tourists of the democracy.

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-10-02

"I'm not a tourist."
from 'Rambo III'

Posted By

The +4 King
on 2003-10-03

Hello My Friend
It is good to Hear From You Again. I am Fine and now using a Amiga A4000 ( Got Any Software) Anyway Take Care And we will talk again Soon.
Best Wishes
Peter

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-10-03

Does anyone have a GIF or JPG of a crown for Peter's postings? wink

Posted By

TMR
on 2003-10-04

What, Google's image search don't work where you are James...? Grabbed and processed in five minutes, i love the Photoshop sharpen filter... =-)

Posted By

MC
on 2003-10-04

I think this avatar should be reserved for Crown happy

Posted By

The +4 King
on 2003-10-04

Thanks One And All
I love the Crown but how do i fit it. as this is all new to me :->

Posted By

TMR
on 2003-10-04

Just ask Csabo or Lando to grab it from up there [points] only the admins can add avatars to the board at the moment.

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-10-04

I found a piccy of the Plus4 King!

Anyway, The King has his Crown wink

Posted By

Crown
on 2003-10-04

I'm sorry, I don't belong to any King happy

Posted By

The +4 King
on 2003-10-04

Yes I'm Back And i am wearing my Crown, If only my Friends could see me Now !!!!

Posted By

The +4 King
on 2003-10-04

You do now Crown :-> But Don't worry i will look after You and show you off so that all the world can see.

Posted By

Crown
on 2003-10-04

Kings come and go, the Crown ownes them all happy)))

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-10-06

Nice avatar sign, guyS! wink

Posted By

The +4 King
on 2003-10-09

Hello Lavina.
Do you hear from Skoro, I never see him write on here, are you in contact with him. Also i use to be in contact with Charles do you remember him.
Best wishes from The +4 King

Posted By

Ádám
on 2003-10-09

Hello!

I know I'm not the one addressed, but maybe I can help you more or less /maybe Lavina is more up-to date than me, but still/.
I used to be in touch with Charles some years ago, but he appeared to be extremely busy with his work day and night..Back then, he was all right, joked a lot! happy
The mails used to pile up at him, so he rarely checked them....In case you consider writing to him...

Good luck,
Ádám

Posted By

The +4 King
on 2003-10-09

Thanks Adam.
If you hear from himsay that i said hello and was wondering if he was O.K.

Posted By

MC
on 2003-10-29

Okay, some new suggestions:
- search for topic by name (for example "discussion" keyword would return this topic)
- demo of the moment. I hope we have enough screenshots for that happy
- display the time portion of message posts too!
- display last login time for members on their datasheet

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-10-29

Howdy! happy

Well, Charles.... We used to phone each other several times recent years, but it stopped. Maybe I'll phone him and report about the actual happenings, to reintegrate him to the scene as much as possible.

Skoro is quite active, we phone each other a lot. He unfortunatelly does not really have access to the net, and his English is also not so good. wink . But he is constantly coding some plus4 things, small games and his megademo that should come quite soon. happy

Any message to him I should pass over? happy

Kichy is also working with him as I understood, and he is in closer contact with the TLT crew.

That's all the info rigt now.... happy

Posted By

abcug
on 2003-10-31

Lavina: Is this Charles who a member of Delta System in the past or somebody else ?

Posted By

Bionic
on 2003-11-01

Ok, this is a bit off topic:

But how does the voting actually work? happy Why am I not able to vote?

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2003-11-01

Firstly, you must be logged in to vote.

To vote, go to the database entry of the game/demo you want to vote for, then just below the download links, there should be a "Vote" link. Click that, and a row of buttons from 0 to 10 should appear. happy

Posted By

Bionic
on 2003-11-01

there should be a "Vote" link.

Interestingly, this does not happen for me..

Posted By

TMR
on 2003-11-01

Same here, the site's aware that i'm logged in but i don't get a vote option when i got to (for example) Questionmark's page from the frontpage.

Posted By

MC
on 2003-11-01

Maybe you should login again. Seriously.

Posted By

TMR
on 2003-11-01

Erm... i logged out but can't remember my password?! =-)

Posted By

MC
on 2003-11-02

L.A.M.E.R wink
I mailed your password for you.

Posted By

TMR
on 2003-11-02

You think that's bad, i think it arrived with about 200 spams and got deleted - can you send it to tmr[at]cosine.org.uk if that's not my address here already...

Posted By

MC
on 2003-11-02

If you see a mail with subject of "please stupid mail filter do not delete this mail thank you", that is your mail wink

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-11-03

ABCUG, YES, That charles of DS.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-11-03

Maybe YOU should try to contact him wink

Posted By

abcug
on 2003-11-03

LVN: Ummm. Well. I have not any phone number, email or snail address of him ! I remember the good old times and how Charles liked me happy He should scream if he understund who am i ?! happy

Posted By

TMR
on 2003-11-03

MC: no sign of... did you send it to the cosine.org.uk address...? =-(

Posted By

MC
on 2003-11-03

nope, i've found a c64.org adress. But now i've posted to tmr[at]cosine.org.uk, OK? happy

Posted By

TMR
on 2003-11-03

Yay! Although i really want to change that password, i'd never have remembered it!! =-)

Oh, and i still don't have the voting option?!

Posted By

MC
on 2003-11-03

LOL! happy
There's only Csabo who can help you. I really don't know better...

Posted By

abcug
on 2003-11-04

Lavina: I got an email address from Nightbird and i give a try happy I hope he checks that mailbox yet...

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024