Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-03-03
08:15:55
 Giana Sisters!

Giana Sisters screenshotThe Great Giana Sisters is a beloved classic on C64: a platformer heavily inspired by the "Italian plumber" series (that shall not be named). The game has incredible staying power: over 100 cracks of it exist (with new ones being released even this year), there's a PETSCII version, multiple level editors, a 30th-anniversary edition with lots of extras, tributes, the list goes on. Its soundtrack by Chris Hülsbeck is one of the most popular video game soundtracks of all time.

But wait a minute, why should we, lowly Plus/4 users care about all this C64 hoopla? Simple: thanks to TCFS, the game is now available on our platform as well!

Enemies to dodge, power-ups to collect, boss fights to overcome, hidden warps to find, and 30+ levels to complete: it's all waiting for you!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-03-03
08:15:55
 Re: Giana Sisters!

For completeness sake, we should mention that the Plus/4 scene was also part of the "Giana craze". The C64 version was released in 1987.

* Next year, Synergy released Giana Demo, which includes the entire game... the levels, that is. All we need now for a complete game is the sprites, right? wink
* The year after that, Giana Sister was released. It's a basic game (pun intended), clearly inspired by the C64 original.

Well, we have the real thing now wink

Posted By

seff
on 2024-03-03
09:25:26

Great achievement! Love the SFXs and music!
I can't get it to load on 1551 though. That little doll gets stuck in the right hand corner forever ;-(. All alone.
Kudos to @TCFS, @Unreal and @Csabo!

Posted By

TCFS
on 2024-03-03
09:29:32

Interesting. Sometimes the 1551 does not turn off the motor and spins the disc during the entire game, sometimes it does not load... sad

Posted By

seff
on 2024-03-03
10:37:53

@TCFS in YAPE, 1551 drive emulation [CPU level/compatibility mode].

EDIT:

1551 not loading... Kind of Blair witch...

I run YAPE in Wine on Linux, I will give it a try on Windows 11.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-03-03
09:43:40

That's weird, I tried it (again) just now with the same setup (YAPE, 1551 CPU level) - loaded just fine. Did you by any chance use ALT+W to try and fast forward the emulation? That is known to cause problems (which as far as we know never happens on the real machine).

Posted By

George
on 2024-03-03
09:56:58

Really impressive game! Congratulations to the whole team. I already made a humble review of this game with my first impressions on real hardware:

Posted By

MMS
on 2024-03-03
11:18:36

That remix of the original sound track is very cool! Not to mention the great initial screens, according to my view, much better than the original.
Worth to mention Csabo's magic here: the TED sounds here almost as good as the famous SID song. Unbelievable.
I was the one who cried for the original SID intro music to be included, but I had to admit: I was wrong... The TED version sounds great.

Posted By

TCFS
on 2024-03-03
12:17:43

I was shocked first when I heard the title music which includes digi-sampling of the bassline. Formerly I used this player only together with static images (for example in the Raid over Moscow or the Empire Strikes Back), due to its requirement of precise timing (which prevents the player can be used together with raster interrupts). But later it was successfully managed to put together with the full-screen title scroller using a combination of double-buffered scroll and an $ff1d-synced scroll without any significant loss of music quality.

@seff, did you finally manage to check that using Win32/64 YAPE? I am afraid that this is more like an emulation issue...

Posted By

Tpod
on 2024-03-03
12:32:24

I've just had my first go at this & I have to say excellent releases in Plus/4 World are now a bit of a habit! Its the whole thing again that's so well done (even an option for music or sound fx).

I do have one minor quibble ... when you loose (which I'm good at), to start another game you have to get off your backside (if like me your sat some distance from the Plus/4) & go over to select a one or two player game rather than just pressing joystick fire (it will start that way for the first game though). Thought I would mention in case there is any kind of update .... perhaps it will motivate me to improve my skills either that or I'll continue to get a tiny bit of exercise so either way its no bad thing really wink .

Posted By

Grass
on 2024-03-03
12:43:29

Incredible again! TCFS for president!

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2024-03-03
13:54:53

I do you one better. TCFS for GOD!

Posted By

Lavina
on 2024-03-03
14:05:11

We are officially spoiled. If only it would still be the 90's happy

Posted By

BSZ
on 2024-03-03
14:30:57

@TCFS: Great conversion! Or... ...great remake? Or... Great rewrite!? What do we officially call this type of solution? grin

It's sensational, the graphics, the music, everything! Congratulations!

Posted By

Degauss
on 2024-03-03
19:04:36

Good Lord, can't believe i'm seeing this! This one is impressive. Great work!

Posted By

Majikeyric
on 2024-03-04
01:35:07

WOW ! great work guys ! happy

Posted By

LBM
on 2024-03-04
01:58:15

I like the way you combine hi-res and multi graphics happy

Posted By

TCFS
on 2024-03-04
02:26:06

@Tpod: interesting! On the high score table I am checking the status of keys 1 and 2 and the joy fire button (from both ports) to start new game. I have just tested and it worked for me well. Even the "fire buttons" from keyboard controls (return or m) advances the game to the new session from High Score Table screen...

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2024-03-04
02:36:14

BSZ wrote: What do we officially call this type of solution?

Porting?

Posted By

Lavina
on 2024-03-04
09:56:20

Yes, I think that porting is the most usable professional term for what TCFS does. happy

Posted By

JimmyCoupe
on 2024-03-04
11:22:13

When we all thought things couldnt get any bigger than Turbo Outrun, this happens. What a game, what a legend, did the plus4 ever in its wildest dreams expect this, no happy. Thank you.

Posted By

BSZ
on 2024-03-04
12:37:59

@gerliczer: Oh, yeah! Fantastic port! happy

(Funny: After I wrote the question, I remembered: maybe I asked this here before... I think I might want to run a memory test. grin )

Posted By

retroscener
on 2024-03-04
20:55:51

Wow, about time. I bought this back in the day on the C64. One of my best gaming memories. Pity the music from the C64's loading screen wasn't included. One of my favourite tunes. The music is great but obviously it could never come close to the C64's rendition.

Noticed some bugs with the powerups in George's video here. Hope it's fixed.

Noticed a thing on the Shortcuts in the Game Ending area. It says "Author says:"Only Chuck Norris has shortcuts. He can complete the game backwards."

Does this mean that the Giana Warps are missing from this version? Also, is the cheat mode included? I think it was holding down the ARMN keys to skip a level.

Looking like a great port asides from that. Would love to see Wizball, including the bonus level missing on the ZX version. Now that would be a challenge and a half.

Posted By

PARALAX
on 2024-03-05
02:57:35

I'm not currently registered here, but I've been following the site for a long time, since around 1996, when I didn't even have my own internet connection. The Plus/4 was my first computer ever, which I got on sale in 1988 (without knowing it at first, before I got the C64 in 1989 and the Amiga in 1991).

Over the last few weeks and months there have been more and more high-quality C64 conversions like this published on this site that have blown me away, especially Lemmings, Turbo Outrun and now this one too. I would never have thought that a game that benefits so much from the C64's sprite capabilities could be made on such a machine and that it would play almost exactly the same. Only the scrolling is a little jerky, but that's completely okay. I also like the perfect SD2IEC support, which allows me to play the game on my original hardware (tested yesterday on an expanded C116 with 64 KB). Thank you for this!!!

For this Saturday (March, 9th) I have planned a live stream on our Twitch channel starting at 8:00 p.m. CET, but it will be entirely in German. If anyone is interested, I would be very happy to receive feedback in our Twitch or Discord chat, as well as a subscription.

https://www.twitch.tv/radio_paralax

The live stream will also be available as a recording on our recording channel. happy

https://www.youtube.com/@radioparalax-sendemitschnitte

Posted By

TCFS
on 2024-03-05
03:18:12

@retroscener: what kind of powerup glitch have you seen on George's video?

The warp points are available in this version too, nearly in the exact same position (some of them are shifted with a few characters to match better to the capabilities of the modified physics) Chcuk Norris is able to utilize even better shortcuts, for example complete the game from right to left... (regarding to the infamous joke)

My name is not Armin, so obviously this is not the key combination for levelskip wink

Posted By

PARALAX
on 2024-03-05
04:26:30

The WARP blocks also work here. It would be nice if there was a trainer version for the game by Saturday, at least with infinite lives. Then I might even be able to show it as a longplay. happy

Posted By

TCFS
on 2024-03-05
04:42:35

There will be a trainer version, its release is planned a bit later.

For longplay hints please check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myJwOjpR8TM

Posted By

awsm
on 2024-03-05
11:44:35

I went to search for my old forum login from an old backup just to comment on this. Unf*cking unbelievable witchcraft. Fantastic work, the whole package is just extremely well executed.

Hats off to you guys, what a great achievement.
I would tell my kids about it if only they cared for anything that couldn't be bought with V-Bucks.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2024-03-05
11:59:17

@TCFS
When he touched the first spinning ball powerup the first time, he still died when he jumped on a nasty. Another time he grabbed one, it didn't affect Giana. Can't recall anything else. Maybe just a very rare glitch.

Posted By

TCFS
on 2024-03-05
12:04:18

@retroscener: That is not a bug, just a coincidence. Powerup sprites disappear after a few seconds when you don't pick them up. In that scene, George let the powerup rolling away and started to chase that, which disappeared just before the pickup.

When stomping a monster you should be more careful than on the c64 version. You need to land in the middle of the monster, touching its edges is deadly.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2024-03-05
12:25:16

@TCFS
Thanks. A little difference just makes for a different challenge. One of my top C64 games I've spent many hours on, after Wizball. Beware the wrath of Sintendo though if they get a whiff of this port.

Posted By

seff
on 2024-03-07
00:16:08

@TCFS, @Csabo

Windows 10, YAPE 1.2.4, device #8 1551 drive emulation [CPU level/compatibility mode]:

And that little Blair-bewitched girl is standing in the corner... ;-(

Edit:

I use the 1551 FDD because of nostalgia and "speed".
I am glad that Gaia could reproduce the defect.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-03-06
14:02:18

Weird, I can't reproduce this. Have you tried deleting the yape.ini file (for a fresh start)? Also, out of curiosity, since you're using emulation anyway, why are you trying to use 1551?

BTW the loader was written by @siz, he's probably the only one would could debug this.

Posted By

George
on 2024-03-06
15:51:42

@seff try yape 1.2.1 and 1541 emulation ..

Posted By

Gaia
on 2024-03-06
17:32:08

I could reproduce it... if you're not loading with autostart or SHIFT+RUN/STOP but plain DLOAD and RUN it does indeed happen. Odd... (probably some cycle accuracy thing).

EDIT: yep, it's a regression bug :( happens since version 1.1.4 when the TIA port handling was rewritten, I'll post a ticket for a fix in the next version ;) Till then, use autostart OR 1541 mode OR a pre-1.1.4 release.

Posted By

Ernesto
on 2024-03-07
00:02:28

It looks fantastic, but I can't run it on my C16 upscaled to 64K.
Is it compatible with sd2iec?
It locks up on the loading screen with the little Giana in the corner.

Posted By

TCFS
on 2024-03-07
02:32:40

@Ernesto: yes, it is compatible with sd2iec. And we also know about cases when expanded c16 was able to run the game as well.

Posted By

Ernesto
on 2024-03-07
17:22:47

Ups.. then I may have a problem with my machine, I have an adapted 6510 CPU with a fixed kernal. Do you know if that can be the issue?

Posted By

retroscener
on 2024-03-07
20:32:25

I was playing via Vice although it says that Yape is recommended, as I'm currently away so using my Steam Deck.

I've just gotten to the first boss, but I lost a life failing to leap onto a narrow platform. Pixel perfection is definitely more a thing in the plussy version.

But on the C64 version, you can easily jump the crab boss without killing it nor yourself and exit the level safely. In this version, it feels impossible. That the only way to clear the level is by killing the crab, which you can't without firepower. Any tips if you lack firepower at this point?

p.s. Great port btw.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2024-03-08
04:27:48

Crab boss: You need to study the crab boss movement pattern. There is a way to defeat him, but different as on c64..

Posted By

TCFS
on 2024-03-08
05:38:48

Defeating the bosses with "naked ass" grin (I was too tired to waste time with shooting)
https://youtu.be/myJwOjpR8TM?t=538
https://youtu.be/myJwOjpR8TM?t=1373

Posted By

Luca
on 2024-03-08
06:15:25

Posted By

Ernesto
on 2024-03-08
22:33:51

Does it use any kind of turbo loader? Did someone tested on a 6510 CPU adapted machine?
Mine is not loading the game at all :_(

Posted By

Luca
on 2024-03-09
02:08:48

Ernesto: I guess we shoould investigate about this phantomatic "fixed kernel".

Posted By

Luca
on 2024-03-09
03:27:29

Tonight Saturday March 9 at 20:00 CET, our newly registered user (and old friend of the 264 base too!) PARALAX will stream online Giana Sisters on his own Twitch channel. Alternatively, it can be viewed directly from the Radio PARALAX's Videostream & Chat page.
Read about the whole lineup [ here ].

Posted By

bubis
on 2024-03-09
06:31:14

Unbelievable! Congratulations TCFS!

Posted By

TCFS
on 2024-03-09
07:06:24

@Ernesto, are you able to run Turbo Outrun or Lemmings? The are using the same loader.

Posted By

BSZ
on 2024-03-09
07:26:46

@Ernesto / @TCFS: Only programs using KERNAL will work with this 6510 CPU hardware. It is hardware incompatible with the original (7501/8501) version.

Posted By

Brueggi
on 2024-03-09
07:49:50

Testing Giana on C16/64k/6502 CPU and SD2IEC. Works very well. Thank you very much!

Posted By

SukkoPera
on 2024-03-09
08:38:31

I can confirm that the game works fine on my 64k (actually 512k) expanded C16 with SD2IEC.

Well done guys, I used to hate this game on the Amiga because I always had the impression that they could have made it muuuch better on that platform, but this version feels very nice happy.

Just one suggestion: in games like this one (platforms) you might want to support my WheelOfJoyMini adapter, not for the multiplayer aspect but because it allows for a second button that makes everything better if used for jumping. Since supporting it is easy (just read the userport!) you might want to think about it happy.

I think that the "fixed kernal" @Ernesto is talking about is the modified kernal that allows using floppy drives when the CPU is replaced with a 6510. This only works for stuff that uses kernal routines for floppy access though, as @BSZ pointed out and fastloaders surely do not do so.

Even though 6510 adapters for me are just a temporary solution, it would be easy to fix a loader, so that a custom version for people using these adapters can be made. If we call Px the individual bits of the I/O port built in the CPU:
- On an 8501 P0 is used for writing the floppy data line: this becomes P3 with the 6510 adapter
- P6 is used for reading the floppy clock line: this becomes P5
- P7 is used for reading the floppy data line: this becomes P0

That's all!

(Floppy also uses P1 and P2 but these stay the same)

(Also note that the fact that P5 comes into play can probably be used for detecting the presence of the adapter: set P1 low and read P5, if it is high (there is an inverter gate inbetween) the adapter is there, as it always reads low on the 8501). So support can just be built into the loader, no separate version is strictly needed.)

Posted By

dLst
on 2024-03-11
03:17:23

Thank you for this cute game.
I noticed one bush changes when Giana stays in front of it.
Is it a feature or "bug"? happy

Posted By

TCFS
on 2024-03-11
07:29:27

@dLst: it is a feature. Hi-res chars (bush) are masking with multicolor sprite (player). On-demand image chages are necessary in this situation to avoid appearance of foreign multicolor pixels on the bush.

Posted By

PARALAX
on 2024-03-11
17:51:56

Meanwhile I'm registered here and have uploaded a video review from our livestream last Saturday. You can find it here at position 00:13:51. happy

Or you can go straight at the right time clicking here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjRLdFnpmxw&t=831s
Have fun watching!

Posted By

Tpod
on 2024-03-12
08:01:18

@TCFS

Just noticed your reply to my quibble - supposedly needing to select 1 or 2 player when you loose rather than just pressing fire. Well I'm happy to say, that only happened the very first session I played. Despite trying several scenarios I just can't reproduce it! I haven't got any idea why it happened & didn't expect it to never happen again after I mentioning it! Probably just some slight glitch with my Plus/4 rather than Gina Sisters (not loosing so quickly now anyway happy ).

Posted By

DanyPPC
on 2024-03-20
04:27:15

I have problems with the loader on C16 core for MiST/SiDi, it fails.
I have asked to the support forum (https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=460414#p460414) but the developer slingshot ask for help (https://github.com/ishe/plus4/issues/3).

Thanks for your help and support.

DanyPPC

Posted By

Brueggi
on 2024-04-22
07:53:26

Do someone knows the level-data / level-structure and share it with me? happy

Posted By

TCFS
on 2024-04-22
07:57:46

Just write me your e-mail address and I will send some info about that

Posted By

Brueggi
on 2024-04-23
04:23:39

Hi,

thank you!

I've written a Mail to Csabo (for registering here and to give you my Mail-Address (I don't know any other Possibility to write to you directly). happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-04-23
14:20:53

Sorry, I haven't received your email yet (my ISP has been having some issues unfortunately). However, you can contact TCFS via email by writing to "sasvarit", followed by the "at" sign, and then "idsyst(dot)hu" happy

Posted By

SukkoPera
on 2024-04-23
14:24:00

@TCFS: Can you please help my friend DanyPPC above? wink

Posted By

TCFS
on 2024-04-23
15:06:40

The loader was created by siz, I will ask him about supporting this topic...

Posted By

siz
on 2024-04-24
02:38:34

I've replied to the GitHub issue.

Posted By

DanyPPC
on 2024-04-24
04:05:34

Many thanks guys for the help.

Posted By

SukkoPera
on 2024-04-24
04:32:17

Thanks for your help.

@siz: Any chance of implementing support for the 6510 adapters as I mentioned above? Not a big deal but it doesn't sound too difficult either happy

Posted By

siz
on 2024-04-24
10:20:22

At the moment sorry but no. I'm too busy with other things. Perhaps in the second half of the year.
Is there any way to get such an adapter so I can test it?

Posted By

SukkoPera
on 2024-04-24
10:24:47

Yes, I can send you a PCB if that could help.

Posted By

TCFS
on 2024-04-24
10:35:20

@Brueggi, I am still waiting for your email about the level coding topic...

Posted By

Brueggi
on 2024-04-25
05:06:25

Hi,

sorry for my late Auswertung. Just wrote a Mail for you happy our dog had puppies, hence my delay. A big sorry from me.

Greetings,

Brueggi

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024