Code Type:Machine code
Distribution:Commercial/TA
Gwnn Screenshot

Posted By

Luca
on 2023-10-15
09:46:14
 Re: Gwnn

This is one of the C16 games I loved the most when I was young. I had some memories about its bas relief graphics with softsprites, in my mind it was a short but challenging game, with a main gameplay and a couple of bonus stages.

I replayed Gwnn today, and I've been shocked by how bad this game is due its limited playability, not getting back the positive sensations I had dozens years before sad

In order to see some regularly decent sprites, I've played the Challenger version. Why Mastertronic decided to destroy the sprites' system by adding a second charset, will remain an unexplicable mistery.
The game is short, the six single stages are waaay too short and undemanding, as they all tend to promote the player's avoidance of the various obstacles: if you avoid to complete the missions...you win! The bonus stage has some obscure mechanisms at its base: don't pick up any fuel in order to reach the warp jump, otherwise literally the physical stage ends and you're forced to crash into the walls...what? :o
The worst part is about the ship's commands and movement: any Uridium clone game lives due of its maneuvers' skills, so you need to count in several "speeds" to simulate acceleration and brakes, but GWNN unfortunately shows some limited and consequently rough controls, which is a real mess!

Ok, my vote changes from a generous 8 to a melancholic 7, 'coz have no heart to drop a more suitable 6 cry Probably, sometimes we shouldn't get back to some memories which, at a certain point, reveal themselves as not-so-positive ones.

Posted By

SVS
on 2023-10-16
04:43:44

@Luca, when we were young (well: younger happy ) all we had was better. And mind that if you (like me) had just few games, they seemed beautiful!

Posted By

Luca
on 2023-10-16
05:12:43

@SVS heh you got enough reason to sell it around in full packs, mate! It had sprites, bas relief graphics, it looked like that Uridium game I wanted to have one day, and this probably made me blind enough to think it was a great game...

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-10-16
12:54:23

It looked very cool with those 3D style graphics and I loved the color bars in the border! I felt it was a bit limited for gameplay. Still, at the time it stood out from the crowd and little did we know about it's back story of being delayed..., and out of nowhere Udo Gertz dropped a bombshell giving us the missing Challenger! Those stories makes it worthy of that 7 Luca. wink

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024