Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Waz
on 2023-02-10
13:13:38
 Arthur Noid C64 SID Remix

Hi folks,

For the Game Music Remix Compo 2023, I decided to do a Commodore 64 SID version of the title and in-game jingles from the classic C16 and Plus/4 game Arthur Noid (which I own the original of in my collection, coded of course by the legendary Shaun Southern).

I had plenty of fun making this, and have also added link backs to the game here (as well as the tunes in HVTC) so those unfamiliar can compare with the original.

All the downloads including the SID file here, and note I even did a PETSCII mockup (albeit in different colours) of the title screen from the game. Hope you like the tune.

https://csdb.dk/release/?id=229280

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-02-10
13:55:09
 Re: Arthur Noid C64 SID Remix

Thank you Waz!
Arthur Noid (Arkanoid C16 happy ) is a real C16 classic, with a proper music and drums.
The first drums I hear on C16!

After a while the high tunes were a little annoying on the C16, but your version eliminated this weakness too.

Congrats! All together it is very nice tune on SID !

(maybe a little stronger drums could help a little, but you know I am a rocker happy )
to understand what I mean (though if I were Martin I would have changed the hihats too):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XjmFzuyirc

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-02-10
14:08:34

It's a cool rendition of the original happy Well done!

Posted By

Luca
on 2023-02-11
02:11:42

Heartily crafted @Waz, congrats and thank you!

You're in a good company of three, a "perfect" number, with Tom Thumb 20 Years made by me and Kikstart C16 by the never enough lamented TMR.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2023-02-11
03:11:32

Very nice remix!

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-02-11
11:04:35

@MMS, maybe you forgot Mr Puniverse had a drum sound of sorts? To be fair though is was more a crunching bash than a snare. wink

Posted By

Waz
on 2023-02-15
17:38:37

Thank you all for the feedback, really appreciated.

Seeing as it was 20 years ago that I sent over a SID version of Tutti Frutti to Lando for the game page (and at the time activated by SIDPlug plugin) it was nice to do another game tune on the 64 too and with that competition, a perfect chance to do so. In fact the SID is still there at the game page, so many thanks for keeping it as part of the page.

As @MMS mentioned drums, the drums in Arkanoid were effectively volume wiggled samples, which wasn't an option for what I had plenned. I could tweak the ADSR values within the SID voice to make the drums beefier and louder, but didn't want that to get in the way of the lead - as that's the main instrument people will recognise from the original.

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-02-12
16:30:51

20 years ago, the good old days when things were more innocent online and the masses were nowhere to be seen. grin

I still have your Tutti Frutti sid on my Amiga some where. happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-02-12
14:47:57

@MIK you are right, I saw Mr.Puniverse before Arthur Noid. But I did not recognise it as a drum happy
Maybe the very first real sounding drums on TED I hear was the Iron Maiden demo from Crown...

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024