Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-01-12
16:58:56
 Wizard Of Wor Classic!

Wizard Of Wor Classic screenshotTCFS is back with another classic game port: Wizard Of Wor Classic! If that name plus game combination rings a bell, no wonder: he has ported this game before, back in 1990. However, that port is not very faithful to the C=64 original. This one however, is. Great care has been taken to ensure the game looks, plays and sounds just right. The cherry on top is a cool new intro by Murphy and a hand-pixelled title screen from Unreal.

Are you ready for some hectic, two-player, maze-traversing, monster-shooting fun? Then be sure to load it up and submit your high score!

Posted By

zzarko
on 2023-01-12
16:58:56
 Re: Wizard Of Wor Classic!

Wow, graphics, sound, everything is just perfect! Congratulations to all involved!

Posted By

Lavina
on 2023-01-13
02:25:09

Top notch implementation! Thanks! Brings back nice memories.. Gave it a quick go and scored 33900 without encountering the wizard or having played in dark… Second run was a bit above 22k and one wizard kill. happy

I mostly die when my bullets don't cancel the enemy “bullets” BTW is there a pattern for it? I don’t remember about this from my childhood. Maybe the basic enemies fire “breaths” that can be cancelled by your bullets but the others don’t?

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2023-01-13
03:30:28

Cool! You are the men, people! Will we see a Hexenküche remake soon? grin Or maybe GPC? grin

Posted By

Luca
on 2023-01-13
04:13:04

Certainly this is not the most complicated ot technically advanced work made by TCFS along all the years in the scene, nonetheless this game represents the most clean, bullet-proof, crunchy, tasty product among all the pseudo-conversions made by Támas: every sensation under the fingers operate a sort of technological translation, taking the player to doubt and think: "Wait, which Commodore machine I've just turned on to play this?".

Not to mention, the wonderful contributions from all the allies involved into the project, whose work resulted to be not less than a needed boosting up. Congrats to all the lads involved, I'm totally sure that Skoro would have loved all this.

Posted By

seff
on 2023-01-13
06:27:32

Impressive work! Again, it shows the 264 series capabilities. The 264 series could have beaten ZX Spectrum easily. Wish Marshall Smith had not killed the C264 line with his extra-orbital pricing and nonsense marketing.

Thank you @TCFS

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-01-14
13:59:49

Thank you @TCFS for this second version!
It is really top notch and a very faithful version with fantastic gameplay.

I played a lot with the first one too with my sister, and really liked the demo effects and musics.
The only thing that slew down the gameplay in the first version was that after killing a beast you could not walk though the smoke, but you died instantly. In the new version this bug also solved.

Maybe in a next version you may add the speech option of the 364, as the ROM already available in YAPE happy
(as you know, it was one of the few games supported the Magic Voice cartridge on C64)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReQ8_UOcJfY

Certainly you could freely use the module, the game can say at Game Over "You suck, hahaha!" happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2023-01-14
15:41:39

You don't need the Speech ROM for WoW speech per se, you only need T6721A speech emulation and the original speech data.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2023-01-15
06:04:30

I had to revisit the "old" version to better understand the differences because the memory faded a bit away happy

The new version is of course sooooo much better! Thanks again!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-01-22
14:41:43

Chronos is back with another Let's Play! happy

Posted By

Mad
on 2023-01-22
20:32:09

Awesomeness!!!!!

Posted By

Lavina
on 2023-01-24
15:29:20

hmm in my recent top score video I got a bit trigger happy at some moments happy Nah, I was just in panic... Which brought back some dark memories happy If I remember correctly, in the C64 version after a while if you did not kill all monsters in a maze and they got very fast, the walls got dark so you did not see them... That was the scariest part... I miss it a bit from this version. Is there any particular reason it's not implemented?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-01-25
19:55:15

My guess would be: TCFS didn't encounter this effect (walls getting dark), so he didn't program it in. The wikipedia page doesn't mention it either, even though it gives a very detailed description of the game's features.

I tried the C64 version again (played it a bit while working on the sounds, to hear the audio), and I could not make this happen. After about 2 minutes of not killing monsters, the game seems to reach the maximum speed (the 3 bass notes are almost like an arpeggio), but nothing else happens. I haven't seen this effect in any C64 gameplay videos online either.

Do you have any videos up on YouTube maybe that showcase this effect? Or do you have a way to reliably reproduce it? (E.g. "you must be on level X, hold for at least Y minutes", etc., something along those lines.)

Posted By

Lavina
on 2023-01-27
11:21:29

I think I must have mixed two things, two different memories from two different games happy)

One was The Pit in WoW:

https://youtu.be/LWFGZ8Gj1Ws?t=495

The other was Squirm's feature to blacken the walls after the pace of music becomes "infinite", when you don't complete a level after a certain amount of time. I was very fond of this game, played a lot. :)

https://youtu.be/YGGjeQsHsUM?t=1503

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-01-27
13:27:11

Hey, no worries, I'm glad we got to the bottom of that one. I enjoy talking about all aspects of these games (just like my good friend @siz) happy

Posted By

Wayne
on 2023-01-29
19:20:17

LOVE WIZARD OF WOR on the C64 - Can't wait to play this Plus 4 Version !!! Exciting Times :->

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024