Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Mad
on 2022-02-07
23:19:34
 Re: [Lykia] It's coming home!

siz (and Luca) is right about the increasing of the border area. In the trailer you just only see a cropped section of the games screen.

Actually the playfield is 256x160 (+ some hud elements on the right). The whole game runs in DFLI which means that all 160 lines are occupied by the display code triggering a bad line after a bad line after a badline..

The funny part is that the game also runs in (or better should run in (not tested, yet)) NTSC, which means that you only have around 55 rasterlines free if the screen would be 320x200 without the border "trick".

KiCHY found the source for the border stuff somewhere and I modified it for our needs, I think it was done originally by BSZ.

So now we got 95 rasterlines in NTSC, which is at least something to work with. Without border increasing the whole game would not be possible in a more or less pleasant way. The music alone takes around 10 rasterlines and that would leave around 40 rasterlines for all of the game code for NTSC 320x200! :D

The original DFLI code if I remember right was taken from dfliconv and thus is by Bubis but heavily modified later on.

I hope no one is offended too much by this shameless copy and paste. Of course we added both coders to the credits section of the game. Without BSZs help on the loader the game wouldn't be possible anyways..

Hope this clears a tiny bit of the graphics mode question..

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024