Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-02-01
02:59:42
 [Lykia] It's coming home!

Just announced by Psytronik Software, 4 disksides full of Zelda-ish passion in FLIvision, stay tuned!

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-02-01
04:45:55
 Re: [Lykia] It's coming home!

Looks like a very ambitious Zelda like game! It so wants to be on Cartridge for C16/Plus4. wink
With a bit of luck the TED's mass array of colours will make the muddy colours of a Nintendo NES look outdated. grin

Posted By

javierglez
on 2022-02-01
07:56:55

I'm really curious about what has been done with the color treatment, given the differences between the C16/+4 and the C64.
I wonder if FLI is just for the C64 so that it can match the Plus/4 palette.

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-02-01
08:47:55

@javierglez: oh well, the original idea about the usage of the graphics has born expressly on Plus/4, so... wink

Posted By

MMS
on 2022-02-02
15:19:29

On that small picture it looks fantastic!

Posted By

siz
on 2022-02-02
16:52:44

It's even better on the real computer. It's really amazing!

Posted By

Mad
on 2022-02-02
19:09:13

It's almost ready.. Just some tiny things we are waiting for to be completed.

Here a youtube trailer video showing some in game footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HZf0mVx-94

Big thanks too:
@Kichy - for the awesome tilesets
@BSZ - for pimping Bitfire to support around 240 files on a single disc instead of 126 + adding saving functionality and 1551 support to Bitfire.
@Degauss - for Knaecketracker (as usual)
@Nero - for some help with the graphics
@siz - for IOLib (supporting the SD2IEC on C64 and Plus/4)
@OlafNowacki - for the awesome story
@5tarbuck - for the awesome in game TED music mastery (a big bunch of tunes again)

I hope we can finish the game soonish.. There are only minor things to do, yet. And thanks for all the people on plus4world for their skill and supportiveness during all the years. Greetz from Bauknecht! :D

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-02-02
20:49:32

There's no doubt in my mind that this will be a huge success on both platforms. Good luck with final touches!

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-02-03
08:58:45

Some of the early village screens remind me of Brave Battle Saga on Megadrive with the browns and yellows. happy

Enjoy this quote of mine!!
Lykia goes to show what talent can do when it's not being wasted porting Sonic the frickin Hedgehog to a C64.

grin

Congrats on your progress so far, looks amazing! happy

Posted By

Charles
on 2022-02-03
18:42:25

Amazing guys, can't wait to see!
Will the C64 version be much different vs the +4 in terms of visuals?
Will SID card be supported?

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-02-03
21:30:22

@Charles both TED sound by 5tarbuck and SIDcard with music by c0zmos are supported. If you've seen the trailer, the DFLI on Plus/4 allows all the top-down items in the game to literally shine due the wonderful luminance gradients given by the 264 palette, IMHO raising the Plus/4 version up by steps.

Posted By

Charles
on 2022-02-04
17:27:25

Yeah, ultimately colours look much better than on C64 ver! What I meant was the lack of HW sprites no drawback for visuals? Though not sure if I got it, where is DFLI used in-game? What do you mean by top-down items?

Posted By

MMS
on 2022-02-05
04:41:15

I watched the YT video, and it looks super! Those clouds! Magnificent!
I am sure I will buy the boxed version.

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-02-05
07:41:41

@Charles top-down perspective kind of game, read here as an example. DFLI: the actual game is entirely drawn in DFLI to support all those colors, and that's why the game's area looks as reduced.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2022-02-05
08:38:58

Link does not work

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-02-05
09:09:34

@Lavina fixed, thank you.

Posted By

Charles
on 2022-02-06
19:39:57

@Luca,
Might be a noob question but does not DFLI pretty much takes all the on-screen raster time, leaving you only with the border time to do sg else? I have not seen the game yet but I really wonder what you guys could put into it, it's truly amazing to have FLI in a game! The terrain looks marvellous in the YT video..!

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-02-06
19:45:36

@Charles yes that's correct, and this makes the whole stuff even more cooler happy You know how it turns: if you need more rastertime, you need to work within several frames per time, but I've only tested some earlier version of the engine and, yes: the smart code by Mad combines with the astonishing work of KiCHY to produce a magical atmosphere overall happy

Posted By

siz
on 2022-02-07
03:34:47

The big(gest?) trick here is that the vertical screen resolution is a bit reduced so the visible screen is (D?)FLI but it contains less than 200 rows so the border with it's double clock area is increased.

Posted By

Charles
on 2022-02-07
15:52:24

Yeah got it, I also did screen buffering for my in-prog little game, but really can't wait to see this one!!
@Siz, yes got it, good point, but still this is a new level in +4 gaming.

Posted By

Mad
on 2022-02-07
23:19:34

siz (and Luca) is right about the increasing of the border area. In the trailer you just only see a cropped section of the games screen.

Actually the playfield is 256x160 (+ some hud elements on the right). The whole game runs in DFLI which means that all 160 lines are occupied by the display code triggering a bad line after a bad line after a badline..

The funny part is that the game also runs in (or better should run in (not tested, yet)) NTSC, which means that you only have around 55 rasterlines free if the screen would be 320x200 without the border "trick".

KiCHY found the source for the border stuff somewhere and I modified it for our needs, I think it was done originally by BSZ.

So now we got 95 rasterlines in NTSC, which is at least something to work with. Without border increasing the whole game would not be possible in a more or less pleasant way. The music alone takes around 10 rasterlines and that would leave around 40 rasterlines for all of the game code for NTSC 320x200! :D

The original DFLI code if I remember right was taken from dfliconv and thus is by Bubis but heavily modified later on.

I hope no one is offended too much by this shameless copy and paste. Of course we added both coders to the credits section of the game. Without BSZs help on the loader the game wouldn't be possible anyways..

Hope this clears a tiny bit of the graphics mode question..

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-02-08
04:56:52

Full color for the win for games of this style! happy
I was thinking monochrome could of been an alternative tho, allowing the impression even more is being displayed. The Oliver Twins mini font for example, but I doubt it's a font but more likely part word characters sets that would use even more memory to offer a whole dictionary within a game.

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-03-18
11:14:56

So, what's the matter? This: the Matter! :O

Posted By

Lavina
on 2022-03-19
04:18:32

omg.. I have no words! 8O

Posted By

MMS
on 2022-03-19
06:05:19

wow, it really looks awesome and it's complexity!

@Mad, and the forest of the intro looks super-duper! wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-03-19
09:54:57

Yeah that Forest intro was epic!!

I get a sense this game would be best played on a 10"-14" screen so to keep those pixels nice and tight, and that will give the impression it's a 16bit game. happy

Amazing work guys!!

Posted By

MMS
on 2022-03-19
10:24:32

OFF: yeah, there are so many nice 14"-15" ultra portable FullHD monitors, unfortunately nowadays all of them come with USB-C Thunderbolt connector only, would be near to impossible to pair with an old 8 bit computer.

Posted By

Doug
on 2022-03-19
15:00:41

I am SO impressed by this. Next level effort guys! Wow.

Posted By

Mad
on 2022-03-19
15:53:55

OFF: @ALL(Lavina, MIK, MMS, Doug :D).. Thanks we are working somehow hard to get this finally done.. Thanks for the appreciation.. I hope Lykia is actually somehow playable later on then.. grin Let's see... (btw: SNES has 256x224 we somehow have 256x160 I mean 128x160 but anyhow.. :D)

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024