Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-02-01
00:35:21
 Mr Puniverse - different versions

I was talking to Rudiger about an early and later version of Mr Puniverse, both tap images are on the site.

Some years back I talked to a guy who said he could not complete the game, at the time I thought that was odd having completed it on both Plus4 and C16 and said 'maybe' it was his C16. That was the first an only time I had come across this until today when Rudiger said not only are there two versions but the early version can also crash/hang.

It's said there are code changes between the two versions, any idea where to look?
Also is there any chance the early version actually did work but required a certain ram type like early Vegas Jackpot does?

BTW here on the site I noticed the title screen shows Black and Blue for the background colors which personally I prefer..., if you load either of the tap images the background is Green & Blue. But yeah, if you load the tap and do a soft reset and type SYS6900 the game will show Black & Blue. wink

Rudiger is this what you were looking for? The "COMMODORE 16" on the tape is a thick font.

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-02-01
02:23:48
 Re: Mr Puniverse - different versions

Heh yes, the initial green background in Mr. Puniverse comes from the settings performed only when a game starts, whereas the values read in the beginning basically are from the LOADSP standard code: JMP $F04A -> $4C $4A $F0 -> the value read for $FF15 is that $4C -> mild blue green. It goes forewer at the very first game.

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-02-01
04:11:28

Ha. I long forget. Where I was loading the taps over and over to check for differences in loading style the strange colours on the title screen started to stand out. Yeah Black & Blue for the win. wink

Posted By

RĂ¼diger
on 2022-02-01
08:07:42

I have to check exactly when the error occurs and the program crashes.

Is it also known that the game ends when a player reaches the time of 4:00? You then lose all remaining lives.

MIK is the old or new version on your pictured cassette?

I just saw that the error was already a topic here in the forum...

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-02-01
08:55:22

I have no idea if that tape is the old or new, that's why I was asking about the wider CBM16 font on the tape. Are any of yours like this?

As for the link... Good job we keep this stuff!
It does not look like it was 100% resolved, and it's said it runs fine on a Plus/4. So this is a C16 issue, and I'm getting the feeling it could be down to the type of ram being used in the C16.

In this very recent topic below I talk about my main C16 Rev with picture of the PCB and have completed Mr Puniverse on this C16.
White - Yellow - Gold PCB
Topic: /forum/44286

If Gaia is watching hopefully he can try his new C16 16k Ram manufacturer configurations he has just added to his current build of Yape.

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2022-02-01
11:18:40

Whenever you move from one room to another room, it leaves a subroutine return address on the stack, because it jumps out of the routine without pulling the address. Eventually, after you've switched rooms ~116 times, the stack overflows and crashes the game.

The offending JMP instruction is in different locations, depending on which version you have:

'Normal' version: $2795
'Older' version: $27C9

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-02-01
12:02:26

@Ulysses777 incidentally, this is the mistake I've fixed releasing Who Dares Wins II +4M [PAL/NTSC]: the original game looses one subroutine per game, hence the stack would eventually get filled in about 110 played games grin And with that horrible long music you're forced to wait t every single game, nobody would be so hardcore gamer to reach that point grin

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2022-02-01
17:01:45

It turns out Big Mac has this problem as well grin Every time you complete a level, it leaves an address on the stack.

Again, the offending JMP instruction is at $2681.

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-02-02
03:02:06

Good work Ulysses777, we have something to work with and now know for sure this is not a myth! happy

For the record and for future reference here are screen shots of Mr Puniverse from $2795 for both versions.
Left: OLD version - Right: New version

Lol I've never seen Big Mac hang or crash either but makes sense it has the same issue. I've mostly played it on Plus4 tho. Retroscener has also completed it and I doubt he's seen it crash either. 10 plays maybe by most people but 100 plays in the same session to see it crash is not going to happen. wink

Personally I've made it to the second to last screen in Big Mac without using the "previously played level skip" feature but getting that far normally means I switch it off..., getting to a new screen was what kept you playing but getting slaughtered on the same one makes it a chore to replay the whole game in the same session. That makes it less likely I'll see an issue. wink

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2022-02-02
11:26:47

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024