Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-12-24
10:43:44
 Defiance!

Defiance screenshotA new puzzle/shooter called Defiance has just been released! Shoot the falling blocks with the correct color to keep them at bay. A fast-paced game with new music and colorful graphics that's easy to pick up and play.

Only 5€ for the digital download, get your credit cards rea... Wait, what? No, it's actually the other thing: completely free with full source code.

It's my (Csabo's) early Christmas gift to the Plus/4 scene: Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone, enjoy!

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-12-24
10:43:44
 Re: Defiance!

And a Happy Crimbo to your good self!

New music? I don't recall it being a year of stolen music from other C16/Plus4 games. wink
Awesome music maybe. grin

Cheers bud, I'll grab it asap and many thanks! Nice to read there is some sort of Quadrillion thing going on, sounds cool. happy

Posted By

dLst
on 2021-12-24
12:12:45

Thanks for the game and the marvelous music! Merry Xmas for the makers and everyone!

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2021-12-24
13:26:40

Merry Christmas to you too, Csabo. I'm happy that I could give you some minor help during development. I read the description of the sound engine. Now I understand what makes it sound almost like AY. Nice technique. And congratulations for the cool game.

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-12-25
03:09:34

Merry Christmas! It was a really nice gift from you!

Wow, again a very polished game! Congrats!

About the music: first I tought it is an AY+TED, then I realized it runs in YAPE 1.1.0c happy
Very cool sound engine, and the end-result is really nice!
Even better you do not need external cartridge to reach this sound quality, and it has nice effects too (bending, maybe I hear some arpeggio too?)

TBH I played few, and now I am pretty exhausted! This game needs a lot of concentration, pretty fast for me.
So very proud of my humble score! Keep up the good work!

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2021-12-25
03:15:40

Hi MMS! A Merry Christmas to you. And by the way to every visitors of our shrine, too. The trick is going for sequences as far as it is feasible. Gives more score and if you get a four long sequence it'll really slow down the crates, which is a very big help. I managed to get a score over 100 that way. And I feel there is room for improvement.

Posted By

Ati
on 2021-12-25
04:57:01

Merry Christmas to plus4 guys!

This music opens something new in plus4 history. I like it, ofkoz.

Posted By

Patrick
on 2021-12-25
13:05:58

fijne kerstdagen, iedereen!!

thanks for the gift Csabo!

the music is really really great!!!

Posted By

5tarbuck
on 2021-12-25
18:05:38

Wow! The tune rocks hard!!! Merry Christmas to all of you...

Posted By

Lavina
on 2021-12-26
05:46:12

Nice gem! Bit hard but I'll practice. The music is awesome, why has noone done this technic before (so well?) ??

Merry Xmas to every scene member!

Posted By

Gaia
on 2021-12-26
07:47:26

Nice and polished present from Master Csabo, well done! Happy Holidays everyone!

Posted By

George
on 2021-12-26
12:44:30

Csabo, Happy Christmas to you too!
Great, wonderful and polished game! Thank you for all the time, work and energy you put into your releases und keeping in thisway this wonderful scene alive! Greetings from Germany George

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-12-26
13:01:10

Great little game for C16, would be cool if this ran on Plus/4! grin

Ha! I like the sort of Guitar Hero style game style, maybe a Klax/Guitar Hero looking version would be cool as well. Just need a special controller with buttons for each colour, I guess you could use each direction and fire for each colour but that would hurt the brain. happy

Congrats on the music Csabo! Amazing and I think that feat of sound engineering makes you the undisputed champion of Ted Sound! Weldone! happy
The way it sounds slightly reminds me of ZX Spectrum where they managed to get 1 voice channel to sound like 2.
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HodE-K2VNA8

Posted By

Mad
on 2021-12-27
11:22:59

Wow!! Nice game. The music is on another level, really feels like 4 voices already. And nice one on the portamento, nice to hear that on c16.. Great stuff!!

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-12-27
12:41:00

Stunning game for casual plays on every 264 machine! Being a straight answerback to a classic vapourware game it's an important ethic plus, which makes it shine even more. The limited usage of the machine time for the game's logics has been the perfect carpet where to deploy this bomb-of-a-music, and the little time of developing is the final signature for an incredibly productive year for Csabo!

Useless to remember how the super-tune "makes memorable" this release, so I watched what approximately happens on the video while the HVTC entry plays. Clearly, it's the apex of a long research about it, passing from the AY addon stuff, thru the occasional digi demos – which now reveal their reason to be there – and the past TED+digi releases like UWOL to say one. What I wonder to understand due to my limited knowledge about coding, is this: take one single (or some, depending by the memory and the suitable range of playback speed) sawtooth wave(s) to play and modulate, and play it just like you would play a voice in a waveconverter, but you can "slice it" along all the rastertime of a single frame; said that, you got enabled to play a limited range of "notes" for the same sawtooth wave, changing the playback time little enough to stay into the approx. time of the TED notes. I am sure there are dozens of little optimizations there which can be immediately seen if not spotted out from the code, especially about the general volume, but I imagined the basic idea like this.

My bad, absolutely my bad: I tested the beta1 version, but was away from home when there was time to test beta2, and now I easily reach the 999 score almost ever – which is what the author would have avoided to happen – also I'm sure it would be a sure goal for many of you, so I officially demand a tournament edition which ignites a time counter once the infamous score of 999 has been reached, in order to continue the challenge on a further level! grin

Posted By

Doug
on 2021-12-27
12:42:38

That is so good! Is it really TED playing that? Wow. How much CPU does the playback take, and is it an interrupt fest? (Would it coexist nicely with super tight timing raster interrupts for instance?)

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-12-27
13:21:37

Yeah, it's all TED happy You can open the PRG file from HVTC (or just watch it online here), which shows the raster time taken by the player. Two raster interrupts per frame and one timer interrupt for the digi.

Posted By

ar trenes
on 2021-12-27
17:21:42

I did not want to stop saying and thanking the developers of this game and thanking them I have played it and it is very good, finally new games for my commodore 16 Argentine version. thank you

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-12-27
17:38:56

ar trenes oh well, the Drean C16 is a PAL standard C16 and the specific software for it runs on any PAL machine, hence no probs at all with the classic PAL software, as we can see in stuff like Exorcista (Drean) happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-12-27
18:23:10

at trenes - thanks for actually dropping by happy I really appreciate it. Knowing that people out there enjoyed my work is the only payment I receive, and I guess it will help me keep going and develop new games in the future.

Edit: thanks to some enthusiastic nudging from Luca, I've made a small change to the game and replaced the previous version. For us mortals, there's no difference... But the game now can have scores above 999. You can download the new version if you like, that's the only difference, all existing high scores are still valid :-)

Posted By

ar trenes
on 2021-12-28
16:07:43

Thanks right now I download it and test it to improve my score, and it goes on and on, don't stop, many of us appreciate what you do, even if they don't thank you, here you make a lot of people happy and we hope for more games. A game for the commodore 64 so keep going and I look forward to new games as I tell you even if they don't give you the thanks here, many appreciate your work, greetings

Posted By

Lavina
on 2021-12-29
08:29:03

You probably wanted to write Commodore Plus/4 happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-12-29
15:21:12

LOL cheers

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-12-29
16:47:17

I wanted to write Ayrton Senna is a Legend, so is Csabo on C16/Plus4. happy

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2022-01-14
14:05:23

F*ck! My hands hurt!

Posted By

MMS
on 2022-01-14
14:20:07

Well, three channels and drum section is really something.

I bet, even Yerzmiey would be interested, if there will be a tracker like something for this new mode.
(he showed me how it works on ZX Spectrum, so from one beeper ("channel") they made miracles)

Well, with these lower basses and more channels even I will try to make some simple songs (inspired by... you know)!

Maybe there is a way to involve Hermit, to modify upgrade his great tool to support his mode too?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-01-14
14:33:15

gerliczer's comment is related to his new high score... Y'all gotta go there and see it to believe it surprised

Congrats happy Truly incredible!

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-01-14
16:13:04

gerliczer: come on, that's an impressive demonstration of skill and pacience, congrats!

MMS: that would be quite a great improvement!

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2022-02-04
07:41:25

Csabo kindly uploaded a demo file I made with plus4emu's 1.2.11-beta_20190320 version, which you can find at https://github.com/istvan-v/plus4emu/releases/tag/1.2.11-beta_20190320. Unfortunately, it is a bit hard to find the download link to the demo. It's here: /images/hof/defiance_gerliczer_27024.p4d. If you are interested, download and enjoy viewing my hard work toward the current highest score in HoF. If it can be enjoyed at all. grin

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-02-04
08:27:59

siz gave me a good idea: I moved the demo recording to the video link (in the Hall Of Fame record itself). Putting it into the notes wasn't ideal, I guess. Anyway, now it's a lot more accessible, and you've posted it here too, so we should be good! happy

Also... absolutely insane score man... Congrats! yay

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2022-02-04
14:19:46

Yeah, man! grin Toiling away on a game that long requires you to be insane. wink But that's how you score. twisted

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-02-04
16:36:53

This video no good for YouTube then?

Posted By

Charles
on 2022-02-04
17:37:48

Csabo, I am also truly amazed by the music. At first I thought it's an old style C64 digi converter, but WOW this is truly great. How does the total raster time compare to a digi player?

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2022-02-05
17:01:01

@MIK: As it is actually not a video no, it is not good for YouTube. However, if you take the necessary (over two hours) time and make a video recording of the demo recording and then upload it to YT, we all will be eternally grateful for your efforts. I was too lazy. sad

@Charles: See Csabo's answer to Doug's question on 2021-12-27.

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-02-05
07:38:52

Over two hours! I would never been able to afford such a long time, congrats!

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-02-05
08:44:15

@ gerliczer 2hrs!?!?! WOW!! Your are chief tester if Csabo makes a sequel. grin

Thanks any way. Great achievement though!!! happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024