Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Superglob
on 2021-11-24
15:55:34
 160x200 or 320x200

I used to note like (hate?) having games in mc mode for some reason. Ever since I picked up and fixed my plus/4 I've somehow changed my mind..

Soo, question for everyone! What's your favorite screen mode for games? MC? Standard? No opinion?

Just curious!

SG

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-11-24
16:59:41
 Re: 160x200 or 320x200

Whichever is appropriate for the given game/image? grin

And of course, in character mode, we can mix and match, which gives us the best of both worlds. Summer Events can't get enough praise, there's never been a coder like Udo and probably never will be, but just two random examples: in the opening ceremony, most of the screen is multi, but the pigeons are effortless, beautiful hires sprites... (And in 16K!) Or, in the closing ceremony, part of the flag-bearers legs is hires (to give it more resolution), while most of them is multi! It's mind-boggling, and for sure the casual games don't appreciate the absolute genius and technical know-how that went into these games. Or another example, Platform Diving uses all multi plus raster tricks with a large hires sprite... So awesome!

Sout has several amazing hires+multi mixed games, such as Arthur Noid.

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-11-24
19:52:50

Yeah, happy how it comes on 8bit machines. Although C16/Plus4 emulation was not happy with Tom Thumb and Thrust for a long time. happy

Not sure if there are any 80 column games out there for C16/Plus4 but always thought while it would be cool for monochrome graphics it would still eat loads of memory.

Screen sizes as a user though didn't really matter until the Amiga came along. wink

Posted By

Superglob
on 2021-11-25
15:30:16

All great examples, thanks!

The thing for me is that, while mixed mode is great for doing text and completely standard mode (like MOTR) I feel that MC (with maybe a bit of mixed) has this recognizable '8-bit' quality to it.
RK soft's mockups are top-notch and show what you can still do with such low resolution and still make it look fantastic.

For all those in the US... Happy Thanksgiving!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024