on 2003-05-29
 SceneCon.2003: Retro demo compo

SceneCon.2003 (scenecon.intro.hu)
4-6 July, Salgótarján, Hungary

I know it's late but look at this page:

http://scenecon.intro.hu/page071en.html
or
http://scenecon.intro.hu/page071hu.html

Retro demo compo (C64, Atari, Spectrum, stb.)
There will be C64 compomachine. If you want to compete on other retro machine, bring your own too. At showtime we will tell the type of machine.

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-05-29
 not late!

Oh, it is July and not June! No, it is not too late! happy

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-06-26
 Re: SceneCon.2003: Retro demo compo

All of you foreign plus4 fanatix! You have one week left to manage your duites in order to come to Hungary to meet the fanatic Hungarian C+4 scene!!!

Luca! We count on you!

Posted By

MC
on 2003-06-27

There will be at least 6-10 plus4 sceners, and further 5-6 people are still to be contacted about that.
I'll be there wink

Posted By

Doug
on 2003-06-27

Sigh! I wish I was unencumbered with job, kids, etc, because I would _love_ to go to this . So please, can someone who is going write up a report for us sad folks who can't? Post up some photos too please!

Cheers,

Doug

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-06-27

Doug! Although I will not attend either, I know for sure that a lot of folks will have digital camera with them and the pictures shot on the compo will be published on the net. Stay connected wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-06-27
 Entering the compos

I saw that Lavina and TLC has 'signed up' already, so I assume that the two of you will be going. Can you find out if

a) it is necessary to be present the enter the compos?

b) either one of you will be taking a Plus/4?

If a is not true and b is true, then I may put together something and enter, just to participate at least wink

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-06-27
 Re: Csabo has been programming too long when......

...his mind is thinking like this:

IF A<>"TRUE" AND B="TRUE" THEN C(sabo)="ENTER DEMO" : ELSE C(sabo)="NOT ENTER DEMO"

wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-06-27

happy @ james, very good!

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-06-30

A=TRUE
B=TRUE

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-06-30

happy

Sorry,

A<>TRUE
B=TRUE

So, you can enter the compo from the distance... wink

Posted By

MC
on 2003-06-30

what? :O

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-06-30
 Re: Entering

Okay, then it's semi-official: I will be coding a new demo for SceneCon 2003 to represent the Plus/4 Scene in the Retro Compo... Is anyone else thinking about entering? I guess I better sit down and start hacking away. Tomorrow is Canada Day over here, no work, so that's a bonus.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-06-30

I think some guys will make a coproduction demo (Bubis, Murphy, MC...) I think I will have no time, unfortunately..

Posted By

MC
on 2003-06-30

Yes Lavina's right.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-06-30
 Re: Cooproduction Demo

Well, that's good news. I guess I won't be entering then, I don't want to face off against three big names - especially when they are better coders than me even individually! happy But now my expectations are high: I'm hoping to see a kick ass demo from you guys that will blow away the C64 competition!!! Good luck! happy

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-02

Enter the competition please happy We don't have the time to make something really good

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-07-02
 Re: Cooproduction Demo

I hate expectations, enter the competition! happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-07-02
 Re: Entering

The compo is on the 4th, right? What could I possibly do in two days? Now it's truly late happy I only wanted to enter so that at least one demo would represent the scene. I hate to admit, but we're just not big enough so that there would be lots of plussy demos in this compo. I was very relieved to hear that you guys are entering. It's way too much pressure to do something decent that quick. I mean I've been working on my C16 democompo entry for 3 years, and it's still not ready! I never release anything because it's not "perfect". I asked about this 5 days ago: then, I still had the weekend plus a day off ahead of me, that may have been enough. Bottom line: I'm too slow. happy

Okay, I take back the 'expectations' bit happy

Altough I'm considering entering the music compo with an IT song. It's already done, but was never released.

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-06

I'm just back from SceneCon2003, not really sleeping since 36 hrs, i'll try to publish some report right now happy

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-07-07

MAN, THIS PARTY ROCKED!!!!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-07-07
 Re: New Demo

Grab Metapharstic 80% now from our site! Congratulations to all of you guys for making such a kick ass demo happy It will also be an incentive for Gaia to work out some more bugs in YAPE, I hope... Party pictures are coming soon too!

Posted By

Luca
on 2003-07-07

Argh! After the initial text the YAPE plays the music 4x and the demo stops here!
Must take it at home and try on the real blackbox...

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-07-08

sorry, the trackmo is still full of bugs. I hope we will be able to fix them soon.

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-07-08

Hi!

I uploaded the Plus/4 stuff to the ftp.scene.org. Metapharstic will be there soon too but the FLI pictures shown are allready downloadabe from the misc subfolder.

ftp://ftp.scene.org/pub/parties/2003/scenecon03/oldskool/

bubis|rsc

Posted By

TMR
on 2003-07-08

[Looks at FLI pics]

Woah...! What can i say, those pictures look *awesome* and i love the interlaced one especially. Any chance of a Windows-based editor for this mode, i'd love to do logos and stuff with it...!

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-07-08

It's in the README that you can drop a mail to the guys if you want to use these modes or want to create something. I believe both of them used a BMP->FLI converter

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-08

The converter runs in Java, and converts from JPG.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-07-08

I believe Murphy used a different converter, one that is not yet released. And that is what TMR refering to, right?

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-08

Ah, you could be right :D

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-07-08
 Re: Graphics Editor

So what happened to St. GLS's upcoming editor for the PC?

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-07-08

he had some lack of time to to workplace but it will be finished soon, hopefully...

Posted By

TMR
on 2003-07-08

i don't want a converter, i want an editor i can draw stuff with! =-)

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-07-11

Use any pc pixeling prog and keep the rules! happy Than use the converter.

Rules:
Hires FLI:
Use only two colors in every 8x2 block.

Multi Interlace FLI:
In both laced frame: you have different ff15-16 values in every rasterline, and two different color in every 4x2 block.

I have converter for the hires mode, ask Murphy for the other one!
I will relese a newer version of my converter soon (this summer wink) that can make png preview form the conversion and has many option.

Posted By

TMR
on 2003-07-11

Okay, i can work with that; what about palettes, is there an optimal one to use so i can guarantee the output will match my original image rather than have the converter best guessing and changing colours...? And yes please for the converter. =-)

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-07-11
 Re: fli

I use the palette of the Yape screenshots in my converter. happy In the next version the palette will be changable. Anyway my converter is released, it is here.
The next version will hopefully support the multicolor interlaced fli mode too.

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-07-11
 Re: fli

I try to hurry with the next version of my converter! Probably next week...

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-07-20
 Re: converter

Tried. happy Only have to write a proper fli routine. Next week... wink

Posted By

MC
on 2003-07-20

next week = 1.5 hours left happy

Posted By

bubis