Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

zbyti
on 2021-03-05
08:53:32
 The most anticipated type of game - poll

What kind of new game would you like to play on your C+4?

- another platformer
- another shooter
- strategy
- you name it

- something original

Please, express your opinion happy

Posted By

GeTE
on 2021-03-05
09:58:50
 Re: The most anticipated type of game - poll

A Breakout/Arkanoid-like game that supports mice connected via SID-Card (Commodore 1351) or at the plus/4-userport:

https://www.forum64.de/wcf/index.php?attachment/232410-20161227-plus4-rs232mouse-documentation-v2-pdf/

Well, and a fighting game like IK+ would be fine (for three players simultanously at two joysticks and the keyboard).

But in between I will lose some tears because the 8-Bit-Guy droped the idea of releasing his "Return of the PETSCII-Robots" for the plus/4, even this was intended earlier ... :,(

Posted By

Patrick
on 2021-03-05
11:40:34

I love to see a good football game for +4!

Don't know if there are any good football games for the C64 or other 8 bit systems but that is what I like to see and play!

After seeing all those great games, that last couple of years, I hope it is possible for our machines!

Posted By

seff
on 2021-03-05
12:33:25

Fairlight: A Prelude - an isometric projection arcade adventure game

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairlight_(video_game)

Posted By

zbyti
on 2021-03-05
16:41:35

@GeTE Yes, I heard about it. The reason dropping PETSCII-Robots for C+4 was "small audience".

@seff I love The Abbey of Crime on CPC ;)

@Patrick and what about Microprose Soccer on C64?

Posted By

George
on 2021-03-05
17:01:07

A "Snatcher"-type of game with great Cyber-Punk Story.
Great pixel-art, great songs and Snacther-Game mechanics....

Posted By

zbyti
on 2021-03-05
17:36:34

@George good call, I played MSX2 version.

Posted By

JimmyCoupe
on 2021-03-05
20:18:05

Good call, all the plus4 football games are rubbish happy. World Cup Carnival is so bad, I was horrified as a child when I bought this game, I could have cried it was that bad. Surely the Plus4 can do better?

Microprose Soccer or Matchday II but I also like the idea of IK+ a lot happy.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2021-03-06
01:13:42

I quite enjoyed Indoor Soccer, but yeah we need an actual decent footie game. It could even be an overhead view like Kick Off which we don’t have as yet, if that’s more doable. Maybe include an international cup game mode.

Posted By

Patrick
on 2021-03-06
01:49:06

@zbyti, sorry i don't own a 64 and know nothing about 64 games!

i had a look at youtube and i looks good!!

is it possible to convert?

Posted By

zbyti
on 2021-03-06
03:04:46

@Patrick I highly doubt in possibility to write a good, dynamic football on any 8-bit platform without hardware sprites, even on the C64 Microprose Soccer you can see flickering.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2021-03-06
03:47:52

What is there to anticipate? I didn't hear any rumours something being in the works. And you are fishing for ideas, too. It would be better asking what people would like, what they hope or yen for.

However, I'd like Mad to find time and motivation to turn CarTeD into a finished game with his usual posse.

Posted By

zbyti
on 2021-03-06
03:56:08

@gerliczer Don't be so pessimistic. I'm not looking for ideas, if I wrote something it will be tailored to my skills.

I was wonder how many of active members care about this subject and what game genere are popular among them.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-03-06
08:53:08

A lot of developers already went through this many years ago. (I opened a forum topic on this around the time I did Quadrillion - OMG why was that 17 years ago sad )

The reality is, there's only a handful of people who actually care about new games. (Don't want to be a spoilsport, so I won't link; but there were so many cases of someone writing a new game, I put it up, issue a front-page news release, and it barely got 2-3 comments.)

So my advice would be: develop whatever makes you happy. Create the kind of games you'd want to play. If others happen to enjoy it as well... Bonus! grin

Posted By

zbyti
on 2021-03-06
09:12:46

@Csabo Thanks for the inside info wink I'm not looking for attention, but I wanted to know how many of the 145 people marked active will respond.

Of course I will do what you recommend me because the journey is a reward in the world of retroprogramming.

Posted By

Doug
on 2021-03-06
09:39:59

zbyti I completely agree with csabo on this one.
Write the game you want to write, for the sheer joy of doing it.
You're going to commit quite a bit of time and effort to it, so you need to be completely sold on the idea.
If others appreciate it, then it's a double win!
Ignore anyone who moans about it.
I code for the pleasure it brings me (good job too, since I do it for a living!)
Enjoy the challenge, be creative, push yourself and the machine.

Posted By

zbyti
on 2021-03-06
10:55:26

@Doug Yes sir! :]

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-03-06
11:41:36

Just as additional info: sifting through the social networks, there are several unsuspected fans of your works, outside Plus/4 World happy

Posted By

George
on 2021-03-06
15:34:11

Totally agree withn Csabo and Doug. Write the game\software that you want and if others apreciate its an extra win. At the end its your dream project...
What Luca said is also true, most of the appreciation will come from come outside the scene....

Posted By

zbyti
on 2021-03-06
15:55:43

Thanks all of you for encouraging me to try my hand :]

Anyway, I would not like this thread to be about my aspirations, I am really interested in the expectations of others, although I have not written anywhere that I am going to fulfill any desires wink

Personally I want to write some 8-bit chess engine on 6502, but I will probably do something else along the way :]

Posted By

Doug
on 2021-03-07
06:58:10

Chess game? Good call. I read that as "Battle Chess", by the way!

Posted By

Lavina
on 2021-03-07
06:59:34

I did not answer earlier not to discourage. I'm not much into actually playing anything anymore on 8 bit (or on more bits for that matter), except games that have heavy nostalgic added value, e.g. things like the oldschool programmers did like Doug, not to mention Berks 4, because I played the similar ones in childhood and even longer. Or adventure games because I just love them from the start. A point and click adventure similar to Scumm Engine games would surely entertain me much.

But today the retro scene is all about demos for me. I am interested in pushing the boundaries of our CPU and TED.

Anyway, I am really happy for ANY release on our scene, so go on, surprise us! happy

Posted By

seff
on 2021-03-07
08:11:32

True, it's all about nostalgia, whatever 8-bit computer you played the game on or you wanted to play and couldn't.
I will give a shot to Knight Lore. It's a precious gem. Thank you Emu!

Knight Lore

Posted By

zzarko
on 2021-03-11
00:06:55

I would also like to see CarTeD made into a full game. The author said he stopped development because the game is too slow, and yes, I notice it in the first couple of seconds, but when I start playing, I simply forget about it and focus on great gameplay.

Other types of games I really like are Dizzy-type arcade adventures, and RPGs.

As for making games, I have a few ideas in my head for quite some time, but that other thing, "time" is stretched between too many retro-computing projects for quite some time.

Posted By

Spektro
on 2021-03-13
07:28:26

A role playing game or a management game would be nice.

Posted By

RoePipi
on 2021-05-02
13:03:41

A pinball game with good physics and nice colors.

Posted By

GeTE
on 2021-05-02
13:44:35

Ok, I thought about this again. Well, it's a pitty that the idea of bringing a proportional mouse to the plus/4 stucks a little.

https://www.forum64.de/index.php?thread/103289-anschluss-einer-serial-maus-am-plus-4-user-port-umsetzung-einer-bisher-nur-theor/

That idea should be forced, because nowadays the graphic artists on our machine are that great doing magic with 121 colours, that I can't see the difference between these pictures and one on the Amiga.

Therefore it would be great to build huge mouse-supported point and click adventures for our machine ... with amazing manually optimized graphics. grin

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024