Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-02-02
10:37:17
 Phoenix Recovered!

Phoenix RecoveredSorbas2020 has just released his last game for the Plus/4 called Phoenix Recovered. It's the first 3:4 monitor oriented vertical game. It's a demo version of a port, and it includes the first level of the arcade game Phoenix (Amstar). Check it out and let the fighting commence!

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-02-02
10:37:17
 Re: Phoenix Recovered!

Phoenix is far for being officially released. We're following the making of the game at Forum64.de since August, testing the game and giving some feedback to the author. Moreover, this version should be the one dated 23 January 2021, hence now I'm trying to understand from where the today date stays for grin Probably, I'm missing some news I dunno yet, my bad...

Looking for the forthcoming completion of the whole game (soon, we all hope), this is the preview that moved me to ask to Gaia for a 90 degrees monitor rotation feature (a sort of absolute first among the home computer's emulation). Next step should be the two large birds stages, as the little birds ones are just all in, as you can verify. And finally, the final boss (fingers crossed!). Several users asked for a "normal" 4:3 version, but the thread is now full of funny picture with REAL rotated monitors, and dunno why, this makes me laugh a lot :D

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-02-02
10:41:03

I just got an email from the author today, asking to be registered as a member and adding his release.

That's all I know.

Posted By

siz
on 2021-02-02
10:52:37

It's interesting to have a portrait mode game on our platform but I can't imagine how will I ever play it. My (real plus/4) setup does not allow me to rotate my monitor. :O

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-02-02
10:49:07

Csabo happy to hear this, great! Sorbas2020 has demonstrated great passion for the machine. For a moment, I feared this really was the release, which doesn't go beyond waves 1 and 2 of the various loops of the original coin op ... well hopefully it doesn't stop there! wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-02-02
10:52:14

I mean... everything there is to be said is literally in the news post: he just released it, it's a demo version, includes the first level.

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-02-02
11:04:17

Checked: it's actually a new build, never released on the official thread, let's check this too then wink

Posted By

Sorbas2020
on 2021-02-02
11:22:41

Hello everybody,
the version is from today and does include some bugfixes and a additional movement table.

I have stopped working on the 4:3 version because of several reasons...

So my mean focus is now to complete the 3:4 version (for 264-series) as fast as possible.
I am currently working on the two large birds stages.
And yes the characters for it are in place, but only for the horizontal movement.
On the real arcade machine ,the vertical movement of the birds was done with a HW shift register.
But for my port i have to find an other way for that animation using the text mode only.
Maybe somebody has an idea for a simple implementation.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2021-02-04
18:52:07

I love Phoenix. Really needs to be the right way around to be properly playable though. Just means smaller sprites to keep the original 3:4 aspect.

I’m wondering if I can adjust my retropie settings or in YapeSDL on my arcade cabinet to rotate the screen.

Edit: Nope, I cannot. Drat!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-02-02
14:43:27

Source code is also up!

Posted By

George
on 2021-02-02
16:15:43

Sorbas2020 Great job! Pheonix is my all time favorite game. Keep going!

Its funny, i did a portrait mode render lately. I definitly need that feature in Yape!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-02-02
18:36:18

Doesn't that damage the monitor though? I haven't had a real Plus/4 set up in a long time, but the small TV I used to have could not have taken that.

Posted By

George
on 2021-02-02
18:38:52

Luckiky the monitor survived. But i do not recommend this either.

Posted By

register
on 2021-02-04
12:48:03

Compliments for this release. The source code is really a gem! Never seen somethig so well organized and clean and well commented so far in my ( admitedlly small ) experience on the c16.

Posted By

zbyti
on 2021-03-06
10:54:38

Great stuff! THX for the sources! :]

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-06-15
08:25:05

The source for the final version is also up, straight from the author. Check it out if you're interested.

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-06-15
09:20:17

Very awesome and cool release! Just remember folks if using a real machine to use an LCD/LED screen to prevent damaging your CRT if possible. Csabo, my 10inch CRT is very susceptible to earth's magnetic force, you think it's on a level table but months later you find the picture has started to tilt. Trying to reverse the effect by the same means I find is almost impossible.

Posted By

Retro Recollections
on 2021-06-16
11:30:55

Great game! I have hurt my neck from turning my head sideways though haha

I wish the MiSTer core had an option to rotate the screen.

Posted By

Sorbas2020
on 2021-06-17
11:37:05

During development , i have never rotated my Monitor. X stays X and Y stays Y. Only during testingphase on the real HW i did it with a very robust and small Sony one.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024